What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (2 Viewers)

Re-drafting the 2014 wide receiver class

Excerpt:

Odell Beckham, New York GiantsUnique is a misunderstood word. It doesn't mean rare or uncommon. As Charles Kuralt once pointed out, it means alone in the universe. After just 12 NFL games, it's safe to say that Beckham is a unique football player. Quite simply we have never seen a young wide receiver with his combination of electric cuts, rare suddenness, fearlessness, suction-cup hands, vertical explosiveness, electrifying on-field charisma and graceful world-class athleticism.

Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman raved about the former LSU star's route-running ability after last year's draft. When Beckham finally debuted in October, that was readily apparent. He immediately put All-Pro Richard Sherman on skates, creating easy separation on comeback and go routes. In fact, Beckham gets in and out of his breaks as quickly as any receiver I have ever seen, leaving cornerbacks grasping for air.

It's hard to find a veteran receiver capable of beating the press from the "X" position, excelling on the "Z" receiver's run-after-catch routes, gaining the quarterback's trust out of the slot and winning versus double teams. Despite missing offseason practices and training camp due to a lingering hamstring injury, Beckham still played every wide-receiver position and ran a full route tree as a rookie. Offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo got more creative by December, moving him all over the formation. Beckham even showed explosiveness on plays in which he wasn't targeted, clearing space for other targets.

For all of those nuts and bolts, it's OBJ's spectacular one-handed catch that stood out as the play of the year. Prior to that phenomenon, I wrote that I can't get the image of a 1980s era Michael Jordan out of my head when I watch Beckham play. Dominique Wilkins might have boasted a higher vertical jump, but it was Jordan's hand-eye coordination, mid-air dexterity, unparalleled hang time and improvisational creativity that separated him from other noted leapers. Beckham has similar traits -- including hands bigger than 6-foot-5 Calvin Johnson's -- allowing him to consistently win at the catch point despite his smallish stature.

The similarities to Jordan don't end there. The excitement generated by Beckham has already made him a marquee attraction on the New York sports scene and appointment viewing for NFL fans across the globe. More germane to his quarterback, head coach and general manager, a talent of his stature reverses fortunes and saves jobs.

The Question: Will he avoid a career-altering injury?

Giants' Super Bowl hero David Tyree touted Beckham as the most talented football player he has ever seen. In his first nine games as a full-time NFL starter, Beckham averaged nine receptions, 133 yards and one touchdown per game -- numbers no wide receiver has ever sustained in a full season. The sky is the limit, as long as Beckham isn't cut down in the prime of his extraordinary career. That's no small factor in American sports' most physical game, as evidenced by shooting stars such as Gale Sayers, Bo Jackson and Greg Cook.

Comparison: Souped-up Steve Smith-Antonio Brown hybrid with flashes of Michael Jordan.

Rotoworld:

Odell Beckham believes Victor Cruz’s presence will force opposing defenses to pay less attention to him.

"It is going to be a lot easier," Beckham said. "You can’t really do the things you usually do, whether it's a safety over the top or things like that. If you put them one-on-one, I trust to win 99 percent of the time. That is our mindset." Beckham showed he has the ability to beat double-teams last year. A healthy Cruz in the slot should help create more single coverage. The Giants project to have one of the league’s better passing attacks if Cruz returns to pre-injury form.

Related: Victor Cruz

Source: giants.com
Apr 24 - 4:59 PM

OBJ sat out OTA practice today due to a sore hamstring. Coughlin said Beckham's hamstring issue is not in the same hamstring that was problematic last year. Said it was "precautionary".

OBJ sat out OTA practice today due to a sore hamstring. Coughlin said Beckham's hamstring issue is not in the same hamstring that was problematic last year. Said it was "precautionary".
I feel like obj said both hammys were hurt last year?

I feel like obj said both hammys were hurt last year?
I know he eventually admitted that he had a setback in the one that was bothering him last year. That's why he took so long to get on the field and he claims that hammy wasn't ever 100% during the season and limited his breakaway speed and going full out on some deep plays.

Rotoworld:

Odell Beckham downplayed his hamstring issue.

Beckham's left hamstring is sore, but it's nothing compared to the right hamstring issue that temporarily crippled him a year ago. He said it's just "typical" soreness and added that if he had to practice right now he could.

Source: New York Daily News
Jun 2 - 8:22 AM

Rotoworld:

Odell Beckham downplayed his hamstring issue.

Beckham's left hamstring is sore, but it's nothing compared to the right hamstring issue that temporarily crippled him a year ago. He said it's just "typical" soreness and added that if he had to practice right now he could.

Source: New York Daily News

Jun 2 - 8:22 AM
You gotta wonder if coughlin and their med staff will ever trust anything he says with regard to his health

OBJ didn't practice today either. Tomorrow the Giants have a day off. The final five OTA practices will be held June 4, June 8-9, and June 11-12. The Giants will hold a mandatory, full-team mini-camp on June 16-18.

It appears that OBJ didn't practice during today's OTA. It wasn't open to the media, but he doesn't appear to be practicing in any of the pics from today's OTA on the Giants website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Odell Beckham - WR - Giants

Giants coach Tom Coughlin isn't sure if Odell Beckham (hamstring) will be ready for minicamp next week.

He's been limited to individual drills at OTAs. Even if Beckham sits out minicamp, he should be back in plenty of time for the start of training camp. Last year's Rookie of the Year is a WR1 in all formats.

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Jun 8 - 1:19 PM

Rotoworld:

Odell Beckham (hamstring) may be shelved until training camp.

Beckham has reportedly battling "tightness" in his right hamstring. He missed the entire offseason and first four games of 2014 with a torn left hamstring. "I think he's just trying to be smart and doesn't want to push this thing any further than he has to," Eli Manning said. "After what we went through last year, we don't want him missing training camp or any games next season." For now, we're considering Beckham's absence precautionary. We'll be tracking the injury closely all summer.

Source: Kim Jones on Twitter
Jun 8 - 4:56 PM

Based on what he did last year, as a rookie, after sitting out with this injury, if there's one player I wouldn't worry about sitting out it's this guy. It might even be a blessing to otherwise keep him healthy.

As an owner - should I start worrying yet? :(
a multi week hammy injury is ALWAYS something to worry about.

I wouldnt be ####ting my pants, but I wouldnt be at ease. I mean, this is year 2 in a row of the issue, already missed 4 games to it, and this offseason has been pretty disastrous.

At least they realize to sit him. That's a positive. But this is far from a good thing, June or not.

I wouldnt be ####ting my pants, but I wouldnt be at ease. I mean, this is year 2 in a row of the issue, already missed 4 games to it, and this offseason has been pretty disastrous.

At least they realize to sit him. That's a positive. But this is far from a good thing, June or not.
Repeat hamstring injuries are very worrisome. I know it's only June, but Arian Foster & Miles Austin come to mind as 2 guys who could never shake the hammy injuries.

Repeat hamstring injuries are very worrisome. I know it's only June, but Arian Foster & Miles Austin come to mind as 2 guys who could never shake the hammy injuries.
It's not a repeat hamstring injury it's the left hamstring this time. Last year it was the right hamstring.

It's not a repeat hamstring injury it's the left hamstring this time. Last year it was the right hamstring.
didnt beckham himself say he had a torn hammy on BOTH legs all season, last year?

didnt beckham himself say he had a torn hammy on BOTH legs all season, last year?
Correct. This is from a January story....

The Giants wide receiver's rookie season already ranked among the best of all time. He finished with 91 receptions for 1,305 yards and 12 touchdowns in 12 games. And somehow, now we come to realize it could have been even greater.

Beckham disclosed Sunday night after catching five passes for 89 yards in the Pro Bowl that he suffered two tears in his hamstring prior to the season. He was never at full strength.

"Well, I was never really healthy this season anyway," he said nonchalantly, as if it were obvious that he could do even better. "I was just trying to manage and maintain it the best I could all year."

Correct. This is from a January story....

The Giants wide receiver's rookie season already ranked among the best of all time. He finished with 91 receptions for 1,305 yards and 12 touchdowns in 12 games. And somehow, now we come to realize it could have been even greater.

Beckham disclosed Sunday night after catching five passes for 89 yards in the Pro Bowl that he suffered two tears in his hamstring prior to the season. He was never at full strength.

"Well, I was never really healthy this season anyway," he said nonchalantly, as if it were obvious that he could do even better. "I was just trying to manage and maintain it the best I could all year."
Soulfly is not entirely correct. It was two tears in the same hamstring. Not a tear in each hamstring.

"He said he had two separate hamstring injuries, and the second time he found out he had two tears in the hamstring, in the semitendinosus and the biceps muscles in the hamstring. Beckham missed four games to start the season because of his hamstring."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/odell-beckham-was--never-really-healthy--as-rookie-with-two-hamstring-tears-051913799.html

He said it wasn't healed fully yet at the Pro Bowl. Makes me wonder if the team is just saying it is the other leg when it's actually the same injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going off memory, as an owner.

Couldve sworn I read/heard a few sources at the time say it was both legs.

Anyways... doesnt take away from the fact Im worried. I wouldnt sell him for a penny less, but still gives me the creeps. Hammy's are the WORST

I believe it was two tears on the same hamstring.

Rotoworld:

Odell Beckham (hamstring) will not participate in this week's minicamp.

Beckham is dealing with a right hamstring issue that has sidelined him for the past two-plus weeks. He'll take it easy and work out on the side at minicamp before returning next month for training camp. The Giants haven't expressed much concern over Beckham's latest soft-tissue injury.

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter
Jun 16 - 4:55 PM

Still, the mega-talented pass-catcher says he's hearing it from "everybody."

"Because of the hamstring last year and then the fame, it's like, 'Oh, you're too big-time now,' all that," Beckham said. "So I mean, I just hear it and you want to blow it off, but after a while it gets old, and it kind of bothers you."
Grow some thicker skin, Odell.

think he's Owens already after 1 season.

locker room cancer incoming
I am curious, are you saying all these because you actually like him and trying to get a mojo going (reverse of what you did in the Gordon thread) or do you really not like him?
I own him.

I ranked him as the no2 WR in last year's draft (as seen above)

just think he's a bish, has a tude, and his hammies are a problem

Users who are viewing this thread