Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bob Magaw

Official Odell Beckham, Jr.

Too many mouths to feed??

WAT???

Unlike most teams, they use 10 other players on offense - many of which are eligible to catch forward passes.

I assume Cooks was an accident, he clearly doesn't belong with those other guys based on what he's done...read the reception perception article on 2nd year wr's and the one on target data. Beckham absolutely crushes him and every other player in every category.

Edited by Banger
  • Like 2

There might be "safer" receivers out there (Brown springs to mind) and maybe one or two who could score more TD's (Dez would get 12 sleepwalking through a season) but few if any that offer the huge upside if the line gels and Eli has the time to throw and Giants' DEF is as epically bad as predicted.

Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Brandin Cooks, Antonio Brown, and Demaryius Thomas could all destroy this league if the philosophy was to target them the way Odell was. Brown basically did. Josh Gordon, if he were in the league, probably would also.

Julio might be the closest this year in terms of good schedule and being targeted. If he plays 16 games, who knows what he could produce. Perhaps Julio+ODB would be the ultimate upside+upside pick. Dez seems to have a lot of 3/50/2 type of games (nothing wrong with that as he's a red zone beast), DT may or may not benefit from Thomas not being there and if they do or don't run more as predicted. Megatron is getting on in years but one last big season wouldn't surprise.

In my draft I had yesterday, I was able to grab Dez and Beckham with the 11th pick. Seems like a really nice combo set up for some big weeks.

I think if you're expecting Beckham to produce like he did over those final 9 games last year, you're going to be disappointed. But I don't think him putting up solid top 5-7 WR numbers is a bad bet.

For posting a goose egg, the highlights showed two (maybe 3) routes where a decent pass results in a touchdown.

OBJ has high expectations in 2015, for good reason. He absolutely is not a flash in the pan. Only his health stands between him and a great second season.

1 big play and everyone will be back aboard.

exactly. Manning was horrible. If people can't see his talent they need a new hobby.

Maybe this is more about Manning than Odell. Its no secret that when Eli is hot, he can look like a god and when he's not, he's REALLY bad.

Odell is a terrific talent. I'm not willing to say he's going to be as good as what I've read on this forum. I think he is a "smidge" over hyped (and by smidge I mean like saying Ray Rice is being black balled a smidge).

But I think it is worth paying attention to when considering Eli because it almost seems like this is a pattern. He lights it up and all of a sudden his WRs are highly coveted and then he goes into the tank and they are very ordinary. Odell probably couldn't be "ordinary" with anything less than Curtis painter but those numbers last year were highly unsustainable and that was with Eli playing like his helmet was on fire. I expect good, but less.

:goodposting:

Eli is a serial one year wonder maker.

Projecting Randle for 111/1850/12.

There might be "safer" receivers out there (Brown springs to mind) and maybe one or two who could score more TD's (Dez would get 12 sleepwalking through a season) but few if any that offer the huge upside if the line gels and Eli has the time to throw and Giants' DEF is as epically bad as predicted.

Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Calvin Johnson, Brandin Cooks, Antonio Brown, and Demaryius Thomas could all destroy this league if the philosophy was to target them the way Odell was. Brown basically did. Josh Gordon, if he were in the league, probably would also.

the omission of mike evans and inclusion of cooks, is mindboggling

and i really like cooks

Edited by Soulfly3

I assume Cooks was an accident, he clearly doesn't belong with those other guys based on what he's done...read the reception perception article on 2nd year wr's and the one on target data. Beckham absolutely crushes him and every other player in every category.

Cooks was no accident. I'm not saying he will do it because I don't know what the Saints are going to do but Brees likes to throw and he likes to lock on to some guys sometimes and Cooks could be absolutely amazing on this team with a high volume of targets.

I'm not trying to make him an elite FF guy or anything but the opportunity with Cooks IF a team wanted to feed him as naseum would be extremely high.

and i really like cooks

I wasnt' trying to go down the list of all WRs. It was an "off the top of my head" thought. Evans obviously is high upside but I mentioned teams that have BOTH the WR that is great AND the QB that can make it happen. I'm not certain yet that Winston has that ability. All the other QBs I KNOW can do it. That's the difference.

Kinda surprised a couple of people have said "COOKS?? REALLY?" Oh yes. Really. Cooks could put up major numbers with Brees if they want to have an unadulterated love for one player like some teams do, sometimes. Just my opinion and I do not own Cooks in any league. Just observation, not wishful thinking by any means.

Cooks + Brees > OB + Eli

OB definitely takes a hit due to his QB, but no doubt will have some huge games this year when Eli is 'on'.

Cooks + Brees > OB + Eli

OB definitely takes a hit due to his QB, but no doubt will have some huge games this year when Eli is 'on'.

So is Cooks inability to beat press coverage overblown then, or are you not concerned? They can't put him in motion all the time

Going to have to deal with it... When you are "the best young receiver in the game" people are going to take their shots. If I am a defensive coordinator, I'm trying to knock his block off. Not to the bountygate level, but definitely to make him think twice about roaming the field.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13509182/victor-cruz-new-york-giants-says-teammate-odell-beckham-jr-was-being-targeted-jacksonville-jaguars-dbs

Odell Beckham Jr. has gotten a lot of attention since last season ended, but New York Giantsteammate Victor Cruz says Beckham was the center of some unfair attention from the Jacksonville Jaguars on Saturday night.

Last year's NFL offensive rookie of the year has already made quite a name for himself in just one season. That includes landing the cover of this year's "Madden" video game, which was released Tuesday. But that stir might be making him a marked man on the field, including by defensive backs looking to grab a headline by blowing him up on a play.

Cruz, who missed this past weekend's game with a calf injury, saw that happening in the first half against the Jaguars.

"I was a little unhappy last week, I felt like some of those defensive backs were kind of gunning for him, and it was sad to see that go down because I couldn’t help him," Cruz said Tuesday. "I couldn’t go out there on the field and run routes with him. I couldn’t help him get some of the pressure off of him and things like that."

On one play, Beckham pulled up on a deep ball from quarterback Eli Manning and still got popped by a Jag. Cruz, a Pro Bowl wide receiver in 2012, has been in that position before as the star player on offense.

"Yeah, I mean like certain stuff I was seeing on the field. Just when guys have the opportunity to get an interception and they don’t even go for the ball," Cruz said. "I get it, it’s preseason, you’re trying to get a job, and I understand that, but let’s just keep it within the game a little bit."

Beckham was targeted five times on Saturday night but didn't catch a pass. He doesn't have a catch yet this preseason. A lot of it has to do with opponents keying in on him. Beckham was upset with some of the defensive backs on Saturday night.

"From the line, you can see it as you’re running your route and you’re running a vertical route, and you take a peek at the safety before you look at the ball, and you just see him head down trying to spear you," Cruz said. "You can see that from a mile away. He’s a smart kid, he understands that, but it’s just unfair. It kind of made me upset watching it."

and i really like cooks

Not if you consider stability of QB.

I really don't understand what OBJ expects defensive backs to do.

"Oh sorry, we didn't knock the pass down. Don't worry we won't touch you."

For posting a goose egg, the highlights showed two (maybe 3) routes where a decent pass results in a touchdown.

OBJ has high expectations in 2015, for good reason. He absolutely is not a flash in the pan. Only his health stands between him and a great second season.

exactly. Manning was horrible. If people can't see his talent they need a new hobby.

Maybe this is more about Manning than Odell. Its no secret that when Eli is hot, he can look like a god and when he's not, he's REALLY bad.

Odell is a terrific talent. I'm not willing to say he's going to be as good as what I've read on this forum. I think he is a "smidge" over hyped (and by smidge I mean like saying Ray Rice is being black balled a smidge).

But I think it is worth paying attention to when considering Eli because it almost seems like this is a pattern. He lights it up and all of a sudden his WRs are highly coveted and then he goes into the tank and they are very ordinary. Odell probably couldn't be "ordinary" with anything less than Curtis painter but those numbers last year were highly unsustainable and that was with Eli playing like his helmet was on fire. I expect good, but less.

I think James Jones is the possible play here based on the Giants WR2. Cruz simply will not be the same and he had crappy hands when he was right, and Randle always gets dinged. Giants fan who's extremely worried about both the line and maybe the hype going to ODB's head. I hope I'm wrong though.

I know this, the Giants look like they'll be playing a lot of catch up and Jones isn't even being drafted but he's looked at home with the team early on. I assume McAdoo is running some incarnation of the old Green Bay offense that Jones is familiar with

Edited by Smack Tripper

I think James Jones is the possible play here based on the Giants WR2. Cruz simply will not be the same and he had crappy hands when he was right, and Randle always gets dinged. Giants fan who's extremely worried about both the line and maybe the hype going to ODB's head. I hope I'm wrong though.

I know this, the Giants look like they'll be playing a lot of catch up and Jones isn't even being drafted but he's looked at home with the team early on. I assume McAdoo is running some incarnation of the old Green Bay offense that Jones is familiar with

Nice post here thanks for the info.

Going to have to deal with it... When you are "the best young receiver in the game" people are going to take their shots. If I am a defensive coordinator, I'm trying to knock his block off. Not to the bountygate level, but definitely to make him think twice about roaming the field.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13509182/victor-cruz-new-york-giants-says-teammate-odell-beckham-jr-was-being-targeted-jacksonville-jaguars-dbs

Odell Beckham Jr. has gotten a lot of attention since last season ended, but New York Giantsteammate Victor Cruz says Beckham was the center of some unfair attention from the Jacksonville Jaguars on Saturday night.

Last year's NFL offensive rookie of the year has already made quite a name for himself in just one season. That includes landing the cover of this year's "Madden" video game, which was released Tuesday. But that stir might be making him a marked man on the field, including by defensive backs looking to grab a headline by blowing him up on a play.

Cruz, who missed this past weekend's game with a calf injury, saw that happening in the first half against the Jaguars.

"I was a little unhappy last week, I felt like some of those defensive backs were kind of gunning for him, and it was sad to see that go down because I couldn’t help him," Cruz said Tuesday. "I couldn’t go out there on the field and run routes with him. I couldn’t help him get some of the pressure off of him and things like that."

On one play, Beckham pulled up on a deep ball from quarterback Eli Manning and still got popped by a Jag. Cruz, a Pro Bowl wide receiver in 2012, has been in that position before as the star player on offense.

"Yeah, I mean like certain stuff I was seeing on the field. Just when guys have the opportunity to get an interception and they don’t even go for the ball," Cruz said. "I get it, it’s preseason, you’re trying to get a job, and I understand that, but let’s just keep it within the game a little bit."

Beckham was targeted five times on Saturday night but didn't catch a pass. He doesn't have a catch yet this preseason. A lot of it has to do with opponents keying in on him. Beckham was upset with some of the defensive backs on Saturday night.

"From the line, you can see it as you’re running your route and you’re running a vertical route, and you take a peek at the safety before you look at the ball, and you just see him head down trying to spear you," Cruz said. "You can see that from a mile away. He’s a smart kid, he understands that, but it’s just unfair. It kind of made me upset watching it."

At it's worst, that is exactly what bountygate was. Sorry to derail the conversation, but that just bugs me.

Sad to hear Corey Washington banged up in practice, I agree about Cruz/Randle, that WR2 production is there for the taking.

The one issue I worry about with Beckham is that he's an incredibly competitve and intense player which is a good thing but can also be a bad thing if it starts to throw him off his game. He's a target and he's got to realize that he's a target from now until he hangs them up but he can't let guys get under his skin. If teams realize that they can throw a late hit or hold him to get him frustrated and off his game that will be a weekly occurance because there really isn't too many other strategies that have been effective to date. I think a lot of this is just maturity or immaturity that will likely be pointed out and hopefully addressed.

Catch the ball, put it down and run back to the huddle, repeat...don't put it in the other teams face and make yourself more of a target than you already are.

I really don't understand what OBJ expects defensive backs to do.

"Oh sorry, we didn't knock the pass down. Don't worry we won't touch you."

Welcome to football, Odell.

Teams know they can get into his head, expect this all season unless he learns to handle it better.

Teams know they can get into his head, expect this all season unless he learns to handle it better.

Not sure if everyone picked up on it, but I think Cruz got upset somewhat not Jags weren't going after him harder because it was him, but because it was him and it was pre-season.

IMHO, that isn't just football like the Jags said, that is like bountygate. If you look at the two plays in the link in my post, it looks like the DBs were going after hits and not caring about the football. Cruz's point is that in regular season they would try and get the interception first and they are using the fact that the pre-season is meaningless to get a lick on OBJ. That's pretty dirty. There is enough talk about cutting the pre-season shorter due to injuries, but I don't like seeing teams trying to take extra hits/injure someone because they know the INT doesn't matter in pre-season.

Maybe I am wrong, but Cruz has always seemed like a stand up guy, so I believe his observations.

Not sure if everyone picked up on it, but I think Cruz got upset somewhat not Jags weren't going after him harder because it was him, but because it was him and it was pre-season.

IMHO, that isn't just football like the Jags said, that is like bountygate. If you look at the two plays in the link in my post, it looks like the DBs were going after hits and not caring about the football. Cruz's point is that in regular season they would try and get the interception first and they are using the fact that the pre-season is meaningless to get a lick on OBJ. That's pretty dirty. There is enough talk about cutting the pre-season shorter due to injuries, but I don't like seeing teams trying to take extra hits/injure someone because they know the INT doesn't matter in pre-season.

Maybe I am wrong, but Cruz has always seemed like a stand up guy, so I believe his observations.

I think Cruz is right but Beckham has to understand that this is coming...certainly in the preseason when it doesn't matter as much. During the regular season I wouldn't mind it as much because it will cause teams to take more risks which I'm confident he can exploit.

Huh? How is this like Bounty gate?

Look at these two vines.

I don't see anybody targeting a head or a knee. Nobody is lowering a helmet.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/8/25/9207123/victor-cruz-unhappy-jaguars-defensive-backs-were-gunning-for-odell-beckham

It simply decent coverage underneath forcing Eli to go overtop and the rotating safety coming in to break it up.

If that's Bountygate, we might as well just shut it down.

Edited by JaxBill

To me, it looks like the safety wasn't going to have a shot at an INT. On the first, sure he could have made an attempt at the ball and would have still gotten in the way to break up the pass. But it's a safety. Don't they want a rep for being an enforcer, heavy hitter type? Eli needs to do a better job of throwing the ball where his WR won't get killed.

Edited by netnalp

To me, it looks like the safety wasn't going to have a shot at an INT. On the first, sure he could have made an attempt at the ball and would have still gotten in the way to break up the pass. But it's a safety. Don't they want a rep for being an enforcer, heavy hitter type? Eli needs to do a better job of throwing the ball where his WR won't get killed.

ya, Eli was all over the map last game.

OL injuries are really piling up now. I'm worried about Eli and this whole offense taking a nose dive.

Rotoworld:

NJ.com reports Odell Beckham has been dominating "every practice."

It shouldn't come as a surprise, but Beckham isn't resting on his laurels after his freak-of-nature rookie season. Some regression is inevitable, but Beckham is an elite WR1, and a legitimate threat to finish as the No. 1 overall receiver.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Eli is going to lean on him like a guy with a bad limp does his cane.

Rotoworld:

It shouldn't come as a surprise, but Beckham isn't resting on his laurels after his freak-of-nature rookie season. Some regression is inevitable, but Beckham is an elite WR1, and a legitimate threat to finish as the No. 1 overall receiver.

Awesome news for my PPPR league (point per practice reception).

Rotoworld:

Awesome news for my PPPR league (point per practice reception).

I usually agree with you when you are actually making a point, but about half your posts are just useless potshots at other people's comments, like above. I honestly don't care in the FFA, but I'd appreciate it if you could cut down on snarkiness in the SP, especially this time of year.

Thank you.

They were totally gunning for Beckham, but they would never gun for Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Randall Cobb, etc.

According to Matt Harmon, Beckham has an 87% success rate against press coverage last year, best in the NFL. He was basically best in the NFL against every type of coverage.

• Like 2

Too bad he showed his weakness..which is he doesn't like to be hit...The DB's of the league will be in his head from here on out. In fact the dude has a short fuse and that will come into play as well.

Too bad he showed his weakness..which is he doesn't like to be hit...The DB's of the league will be in his head from here on out. In fact the dude has a short fuse and that will come into play as well.

How did he show his weakness?

By admitting it bothers him when the DB plays body instead of the ball. You don't think that they will be leveling shots at him all day long.

By admitting it bothers him when the DB plays body instead of the ball. You don't think that they will be leveling shots at him all day long.

Teams aren't going to let him dominate like he did last year. They've had months to prepare and learn how to exploit his weaknesses. Will it stop him completely? No, but it may slow him and frustrate him to the point he becomes manageable.

• Like 1

I get the feeling you didn't watch much football last year. Thats the only possible explanation for that post.

There is no group more physical than the Seahawks. He went for 7,108 on them. People are looking for a "weakness" at this point, grasping for straws. The only thing that can stop OBJ is injury.

Teams aren't going to let him dominate like he did last year. They've had months to prepare and learn how to exploit his weaknesses. Will it stop him completely? No, but it may slow him and frustrate him to the point he becomes manageable.

I believe this to an extent, however guys like Randy Moss, T.O. and Jerry Rice were prepared for and it didn't matter.

Sometimes talent/system trumps preparation.

Edited by TripItUp

There is no group more physical than the Seahawks. He went for 7,108 on them. People are looking for a "weakness" at this point, grasping for straws. The only thing that can stop OBJ is injury.

And you know that 44 of that was on one play that Sherman didn't get a hand on him.

The rest of the game he was 6/64/0.

That's containment.

And you know that 44 of that was on one play that Sherman didn't get a hand on him.

That's containment.

This kid has Russell Wilson as his #1 QB, and the rest of his rankings based on how they did against Sesttle.

Don't try.

As opposed to playing two hand touch with everyone else?

That's containment.

Hahaha... okay, so now we're just saying #### like "Beating the #1 CB in the league for a 44 yard play and then ONLY going 6/64 isn't good".

6/64/0 is better than most WRs do against Sherman. People grasping at straws on the OBJ anti-hype train are going to be upset they didn't take him this season.

That's containment.

Well if 6 for 64 and a random 40 yard catch is a bad game, he is the best player in fantasy this year.

This is what everyone said for every single game last year. Every game "They're going to figure him out eventually and shut him down". It's the same #### people have been saying about Antonio Brown for the past 3 years because "he's too small to be a #1 WR in the NFL". Fact is, some people just have "it" I think Beckham more than prooved he had "it" by having arguably the greatest rookie season in NFL history.

That's containment.

Well if 6 for 64 and a random 40 yard catch is a bad game, he is the best player in fantasy this year.

This is what I'm saying... since when is 6-64 and a fluke 40 yard catch to make it 7-104 a bad game? If that's how we're defining bad games this year I can't wait for this season. But apparently OBJ was so good, that if you dislike him you literally have to say stuff like "He only caught 6 for 64 outside of that big 44 yard play".

Edited by Khy

That's containment.

How can you take away a big play that happened? Wouldn't that be the same as arguing there was two passes he didn't catch. He was 7 of 9 on that day. One was a 40 yard bomb. He should have finished.... 8 for 148 and a TD.

Whats the difference? People that take away plays that happened make me laugh. Its an argument for people who have none. :shrug:

Edited by ImTheScientist

I believe this to an extent, however guys like Randy Moss, T.O. and Jerry Rice were prepared for and it didn't matter.

Sometimes talent/system trumps preparation.

It is such a silly argument. Like NFL teams didn't realize Beckham was their only real offensive threat and didn't try to game plan against him. I know not all NFL coaches are geniuses, but come on they aren't total idiots.