What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (2 Viewers)

I doubt any team will give up what they would have to for OBJ without him agreeing beforehand to a contract extension, and if you are OBJ, why would you sign an extension with Cleveland?  

I guess it's fun to dream...
Rams traded for Watkins (gave a 2nd Rounder) and did not sign him to an extension. Who knows how serious NYG is about entertaining offers. If they know that they will not be resigning him why not get something in return.

Here’s the question that needs to be considered: If ODB, prior to getting tens of millions in guaranteed money, has bouts of poor judgement and immature behavior, what will happen when he gets 25-40 Million in guaranteed money? 

Is that a chance a team is going to take in addition to parting with draft capital and year’s of cost certainty?
I think he is getting about 6 million per year from Nike

Beckham isn't going to cost $20 million or $18 million against the cap this year.  He is going to cost $8.5 million, which is the 5th year option.  The $20 million per year that he is looking for is an extension, and I highly doubt he gets that much anyway.  Nobody is going to tear up the 5th year option and if a team really wanted to, they would have him under contract for the next 3 years for far less than $20 million per year given the 5th year option for this year and then using the franchise tag for 2 years after that, so Beckham has very little leverage anyway.  He can cry and moan about it and threaten to hold out, but he loves money and he will be losing a lot of it if he holds out.  The Rams will have no problem fitting him under the cap, and if they cut Austin that will clear more than enough room to sign all of their rookies, especially since they would be giving up some draft picks to obtain Beckham. 

The cap is not at all the issue for the Rams with trading for Beckham.  The issue is if they have enough to give so the Giants would do it.  No way in hell should the Giant trade him for anything less than their 1st this year and 1st next year and even then I would be reluctant.  Late 1st round picks, like what the Rams will be giving, aren't worth as much as 1 early 1st rounder, and I would probably want more than CLE's 4th overall pick so I don't see a trade happening with the Rams either way, at least if I were the Giants' GM.

hes worth more but they can't get it so they ever need to sell on a discount or suck it up.

Since it looks like their sticking with Eli it would be stupid to move ODB until a full rebuild begins

His spectacular catches essentially give him the catch radius of a receiver two or three inches taller.  They would be routine for others of regular size with greater reach.  Is he good, yes, great, probably, but worth what he thinks based upon his talent, not remotely.  Couple that with his attitude which could kill a coach and a Q.B. and will divide a locker room and I will pass.  If he wanted to get paid he should have stayed in N.Y. instead of going to Miami two years ago.  He had a chance to have an impact against Green Bay in a playoff game and instead he #### the bed.  Now he is in that same bed with some trollop and a bunch of blow and he lets it be advertised, all while demanding unrealistic money which he does not see as unrealistic and never will because he is so full of himself.  I'll pass.  Give me the Jordy Nelson's, the Adam Thielens of the world for my W.R.'s.  Guys that come to work and make those around them better while fitting into a team structure.  OBJ cares only for himself, his stats, what he gets.  A successful season for him is one where he gets highlights even if his team suffers a losing season.  He is a cancer, a loser.

I guess I havent seen anyone address this yet in regards to him but is he completely healthy?  That was a wicked injury he suffered last season.

Not exactly a vote of confidence:

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 54m54 minutes ago

Giants’ HC Pat Shurmur on Odell Beckham Jr.: “He’s on our team right now.”

Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account @AllbrightNFL 30m30 minutes ago

Someone was getting sold a bill of goods yesterday. I talked with several people who said the Giants ARE shopping Beckham. They just want more than what's being offered.

His trade value isn't very high due to his contract.  

If he does actually get traded, I would bet maybe they fetch the value of an early 2nd. 

I doubt any team will give up what they would have to for OBJ without him agreeing beforehand to a contract extension, and if you are OBJ, why would you sign an extension with Cleveland?  

I guess it's fun to dream...
They have a ton of cap space and can front load his contract like crazy (which means he can invest the money), his college teammate and friend is there, they are potentially an up and coming team in a division that is very winnable over the next couple of seasons.

I don't think OBJ to CLE is probable, but it's definitely possible. 5-10% chance based on cap space and available draft capital. 

His spectacular catches essentially give him the catch radius of a receiver two or three inches taller.  They would be routine for others of regular size with greater reach.  Is he good, yes, great, probably, but worth what he thinks based upon his talent, not remotely.  Couple that with his attitude which could kill a coach and a Q.B. and will divide a locker room and I will pass.  If he wanted to get paid he should have stayed in N.Y. instead of going to Miami two years ago.  He had a chance to have an impact against Green Bay in a playoff game and instead he #### the bed.  Now he is in that same bed with some trollop and a bunch of blow and he lets it be advertised, all while demanding unrealistic money which he does not see as unrealistic and never will because he is so full of himself.  I'll pass.  Give me the Jordy Nelson's, the Adam Thielens of the world for my W.R.'s.  Guys that come to work and make those around them better while fitting into a team structure.  OBJ cares only for himself, his stats, what he gets.  A successful season for him is one where he gets highlights even if his team suffers a losing season.  He is a cancer, a loser.
:potkettle: Is there some way to take all of the shading out of the pot and kettle?

The guy is well liked in the locker room, practices hard, plays hard and has been known to help his younger WR teammates. How do get that he is a cancer?

As a NYG fan, I wouldn't mind letting Beckham go as long as the return is adequate. I personally don't think the #4 overall is an outrageous ask for what many call a "generational" talent. If they have to include Bucs 3rd (or something similar) to get it done - well fine. His on field production, when healthy, is amazing, but that's where it starts and ends for me. I don't want the Giants to pay the guy $18 - 20 million a year. Especially after making threats about sitting out a week after the coke video surfaces. This dude is delusional and a distraction. If someone else thinks he's worth the $18-20 Million and are willing to give adequate compensation I hope the Giants and Gettleman have the brass to pull the trigger. 

As a NYG fan, I wouldn't mind letting Beckham go as long as the return is adequate. I personally don't think the #4 overall is an outrageous ask for what many call a "generational" talent. If they have to include Bucs 3rd (or something similar) to get it done - well fine. His on field production, when healthy, is amazing, but that's where it starts and ends for me. I don't want the Giants to pay the guy $18 - 20 million a year. Especially after making threats about sitting out a week after the coke video surfaces. This dude is delusional and a distraction. If someone else thinks he's worth the $18-20 Million and are willing to give adequate compensation I hope the Giants and Gettleman have the brass to pull the trigger. 
To whom is he a distraction?

What is he distracting them from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Beckham obviously wants to have his cake and eat it too........a young, wildly talented guy living the life...........basic risk/reward analysis for his team GM

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago

#Giants GM Dave Gettleman says “next question” when asked if he wants Odell Beckham on his team. ... He won’t respond to whether the #Rams contacted him. Won’t respond to the report that Odell won’t take the field unless he gets a contract extension.

They don't have a game until August. How is OBJ preventing the team from preparing for the season?
If you don't understand that I am speaking about him throughout his tenure as a Giant then I will make it simpler - Odell has shown immaturity that has created distractions throughout his time as a Giant, which he has admitted to. 

His trade value isn't very high due to his contract.  

If he does actually get traded, I would bet maybe they fetch the value of an early 2nd. 
If they trade him it's gonna be for a lot more than a 2nd.  He has a lot less leverage than he thinks he does because there are two years of FT's to get through.   He's not going to miss any games, and if he goes out and hold out all preseason and has a crappy year he's gonna cost himself a ton of money.

Cleveland should offer 1.04 and Coleman for him and get him signed to a monster front-loaded contract.  That lets NYG draft a QB and Nelson/Chubb/Barkley and move along on their rebuild.

He's not going to miss any games, and if he goes out and hold out all preseason and has a crappy year he's gonna cost himself a ton of money.

I never take spring holdout threats seriously but I'd put more merit into his threat then most. Not the threat of not playing at all, but a threat of missing games at what amounts to around $528k per game. Obviously he won't fool around with not accruing a season. But I think if he did hold out and had a subpar season it would not cost him any money. Just stay healthy and he'll get paid what he's looking for if he makes it to market.

Pick 4??? Lord no.  Basically Barkley plus another 15 million of cap space per year the next 4-5 years??  No.

Not sure he is even worth that if he was a choir boy.

Why would a team give up 1st round draft assets when they can get OBJ as an RFA next season for no draft assets? Especially since I’m assuming his salary will be north of $16MM. Other than getting him a year later, I don’t see the upside in trading for him b

Pick 4??? Lord no.  Basically Barkley plus another 15 million of cap space per year the next 4-5 years??  No.

Not sure he is even worth that if he was a choir boy.
Yeah, that’s a fantasy football trade. Browns aren’t giving up the 4th pick for him then pay him a 100 million dollar contract. If the Giants can get the 23rd pick, Tavon Austin and maybe a 3rd or 4th from the Rams I think they may bite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that’s a fantasy football trade. Browns aren’t giving up the 4th pick for him then pay him a 100 million dollar contract. If the Giants can get the 23rd pick, Tavon Austin and maybe a 3rd or 4th from the Rams I think they may bite.
i think the Giants are content with Beckham at about $8.5 this season and using the Franchise Tag on him the following two seasons if need be... a la LeVeon. I hope they only move on a trade if something great presents itself and I for one don't think Austin, the 23rd and a 3rd/4th move the needle for them... At least I hope it doesn't.

Odell is a game changer on the outside, which I think GMs value more than their back field counterparts, therefore simply comparing Beckham to Barkley and cap room is not apples to apples.

@KimJonesSports 

Just saw John Mara. He said the only untradeable #NYG is Nate Solder — bc team couldn’t afford acceleration on salary cap. (He was smiling.) Clear preference: Keep Odell. Would trade only if bowled over by offer.

Soulfly3 said:
@KimJonesSports 

Just saw John Mara. He said the only untradeable #NYG is Nate Solder — bc team couldn’t afford acceleration on salary cap. (He was smiling.) Clear preference: Keep Odell. Would trade only if bowled over by offer.
I’m not getting the referred preference based on what’s provided

I just don’t see the upside in signing ANY WR to 75+ mil the way the current NFL is structured.  As a Cowboys fan, I hope they spend a ton of money at WR, that just means less on positions that matter.  

I just don’t see the upside in signing ANY WR to 75+ mil the way the current NFL is structured.  As a Cowboys fan, I hope they spend a ton of money at WR, that just means less on positions that matter.  
Agreed.  OBJ is awesome, but having a stud WR doesn't get you any closer to the Super Bowl these days.  

Users who are viewing this thread