What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (6 Viewers)

Was finally able to find some more details on his new contract, La Canfora reported it's a $4M roster bonus, $1M guaranteed base and $3M in incentives, consisting of $2M in gameday active bonuses and $1M incentive in combined rush/receiving yds from 400 to 700 yds. The Rams will have to eat the $4M no matter what on their cap since it was already paid on March 16th, if traded the rest travels with him. Likely the $2M in game day active bonuses are considered likely to be earned and are currently counted against the cap (jives with what is shown on OverTheCap.com.) The combined yards incentive would not count until he reaches it.

So it would be a $3M savings to trade him with $4M in dead money.
I rely on OverTheCap primarily for my salary info so when they are wrong I will likely be as well. This could be a case where they are leading me wrong because when you go to their site and select the trade option on Tavon it show's $7M in cap savings with $0 dead money.  If cut that shows as $5M in dead money, $2M in cap savings.

So I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure Overthecap is correct but between them vs La Canfora it's not close to who is accurate.  I'm not sure what happened with La Canfora, I suspect he got lazy or other priorities in his life got in the way of him making contacts because he so awful I am routinely seeing him attacked by other professionals for constantly being wrong and never saying so. Paul Kuharsy a Titan beat writer who left ESPN and started his own site and Greg Gabriel and ex-Bears scout are two people off the top of my mind that have been crucifying La Canfora the past few weeks for all the wildly wrong stuff he has been putting out. Gabriel point blank said La Canfora used to have a source inside Halas Hall but that source left years ago and now he literally makes things up. So just saying I'm leery of trusting La Canfora.

MMQB's Peter King reports the Giants' "likely" asking price for Odell Beckham is two first-round picks.

King also believes a pre-trade contract agreement paying Beckham more than $18 million per year would be required for any trade to come to fruition. King is convinced the Rams are currently the NFL's most interested team in Beckham and would stay involved in trade talks for as long as they go on. ESPN's Adam Schefter has also indicated he believes the Giants' interest in trading OBJ is genuine.

Related: Rams

Source: MMQB 

Apr 2 - 5:54 PM

Grown men can be adorable. 

Giving up the #4 overall pick for OBJ would not be. 
I’m quoting you but speaking more in general, but I’ve never understood this fascination with draft picks vs proven talent.  For me a top 5 (maybe 3) proven NFL WR for the number 4 pick is a no-brainer.  The Pats have proven year after year that draft capital is vastly overrated

As with any pick who you get has no guarantee they will be any good and certainly no guarantee they will be top 5 at their position.  

Yes with OBJ you will have to pay him vs paying a pick the rookie contract but in the Browns position you are flush with cap space, have almost no large contracts to worry about and if you do hit on just a few of the multiple picks you’ve had (and do have this year) you’ll still have a bunch of talent at below market value.   Really don’t see the downside for the Browns here. But as a Rams fan I hope they pass and we find a way to pull it off.  

I’m quoting you but speaking more in general, but I’ve never understood this fascination with draft picks vs proven talent.  For me a top 5 (maybe 3) proven NFL WR for the number 4 pick is a no-brainer.  The Pats have proven year after year that draft capital is vastly overrated

As with any pick who you get has no guarantee they will be any good and certainly no guarantee they will be top 5 at their position.  

Yes with OBJ you will have to pay him vs paying a pick the rookie contract but in the Browns position you are flush with cap space, have almost no large contracts to worry about and if you do hit on just a few of the multiple picks you’ve had (and do have this year) you’ll still have a bunch of talent at below market value.   Really don’t see the downside for the Browns here. But as a Rams fan I hope they pass and we find a way to pull it off.  
In general, I agree.  In this specific case, you have to ask yourself if there is a viable long-term path to a content OBJ playing his heart out in Cleveland for the next 5-6 years.  If there was, NYG wouldn't be looking to trade him.

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Patriots' trade of Brandin Cooks to the Rams is "not a precursor to an attempt" to acquire Odell Beckham.

The Patriots now own the No. 23 and 31 picks, leading many to connect the dots on Twitter. The Patriots still have a solid stable of weapons, but many injury question marks. Beckham would be a dream addition for Tom Brady and Bill Belichick's offense, but the most likely outcome remains him staying in New York.

Related: Patriots

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter 

Apr 3 - 6:25 PM

I rely on OverTheCap primarily for my salary info so when they are wrong I will likely be as well. This could be a case where they are leading me wrong because when you go to their site and select the trade option on Tavon it show's $7M in cap savings with $0 dead money.  If cut that shows as $5M in dead money, $2M in cap savings.

So I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure Overthecap is correct but between them vs La Canfora it's not close to who is accurate.  I'm not sure what happened with La Canfora, I suspect he got lazy or other priorities in his life got in the way of him making contacts because he so awful I am routinely seeing him attacked by other professionals for constantly being wrong and never saying so. Paul Kuharsy a Titan beat writer who left ESPN and started his own site and Greg Gabriel and ex-Bears scout are two people off the top of my mind that have been crucifying La Canfora the past few weeks for all the wildly wrong stuff he has been putting out. Gabriel point blank said La Canfora used to have a source inside Halas Hall but that source left years ago and now he literally makes things up. So just saying I'm leery of trusting La Canfora.
Looks like they could afford a trade, Cooks 5th year option is the same as OBJ's. One thing I forgot to take into account was by trading away the 23rd pick they cleared an additional $2.0M in needed cap space. Some rumors that the Rams are already looking to sign Cooks to an extension which would probably lower this years cap number.

Tavon Austin probably threw his phone against a wall after seeing this news on Twitter. No way he hits that incentive number now, Cooks does everything Austin does but better. At least OBJ would have had a slightly different role in the offense.

@RapSheet 

The #Rams were interested in Odell Beckham, but the combination of likely trade compensation and future extension made the price exorbitant. There were never serious negotiations. 

With ALL that capspace they were worried about cost?

Hmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart of the Rams to pass. They get a deep threat for less financial burden and no headaches. They will be able to continue to spread the ball around without players complaining about their role.

@RapSheet 

The #Rams were interested in Odell Beckham, but the combination of likely trade compensation and future extension made the price exorbitant. There were never serious negotiations. 

With ALL that capspace they were worried about cost?

Hmm.
they have'd to pay Aaron Donald, Suh maybe, Gurley, OBJ and Goff within a few years of one another. It's hard to believe they could pay for all with that.

Smart of the Rams to pass. They get a deep threat for less financial burden and no headaches. They will be able to continue to spread the ball around without players complaining about their role.

Why do you think Cooks is on his third team already?  He’s absolutely a headache and complains about not being the focus of the offense.

Why is Watkins on his 3rd team?

Because he’s not being as productive as he should be.  Different problem.  Teams are acquiring him on hoping to see the light go on.  Are you of the opinion that all receivers are the same?

Isn't one of the reasons he was initially traded away was because he was complaining about his role in the Saints after the arrival of Michael Thomas?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/29/report-brandin-cooks-is-growing-frustrated-with-saints-offense/

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/mike-thomas-brandin-cooks-trade-rumors-twitter-beef

Because he’s not being as productive as he should be.  Different problem.  Teams are acquiring him on hoping to see the light go on.  Are you of the opinion that all receivers are the same?

I'm glad you know why teams are acquiring Watkins, but I've seen nothing to indicate Cooks was traded for complaining.

I'm glad you know why teams are acquiring Watkins, but I've seen nothing to indicate Cooks was traded for complaining.
The Pats were actually trying to extend him and only decided to trade him once they realized they were too far apart - so it doesn't seem like that's why he was traded.

Well, since you clearly think your opinion is so superior that you can be snarky and dismissive, why don’t you share with all of us why Watkins is moving so much?  Cooks was definitely shipped from NO for his attitude and complaining so there is history there - or did you miss that?  If he’s overvalued himself beyond being resigned so that NE sent him packing, doesn’t that speak to attitude issues as well?

If he’s overvalued himself beyond being resigned so that NE sent him packing, doesn’t that speak to attitude issues as well?
Does it? If your employer wasn't paying as much as you could get on the open market, and you decided to look elsewhere would that signify an attitude issue? I think we sometimes hold these players to a standard that we wouldn't hold other members of the workforce to, just because we root for their uniforms.

If the Pats approached his agent and asked for a number and that number was too high for their liking (and Cooks was not willing to back off his demand) - should that really reflect poorly on him? I don't see it.

Does it? If your employer wasn't paying as much as you could get on the open market, and you decided to look elsewhere would that signify an attitude issue? I think we sometimes hold these players to a standard that we wouldn't hold other members of the workforce to, just because we root for their uniforms.

If the Pats approached his agent and asked for a number and that number was too high for their liking (and Cooks was not willing to back off his demand) - should that really reflect poorly on him? I don't see it.

Fair enough

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports it remains "highly unlikely" Odell Beckham is traded.

Vacchiano credits a highly placed team source. Monday marks an important day in the Beckham saga as the Giants' voluntary offseason program is set to begin and head coach Pat Shurmur has gone on record saying he expects his star receiver to be there. Any absence would shed light to the NFL Network's report that Beckham will holdout until he receives a new contract. The most likely outcome remains him staying in New York given his pending long-term deal and the team's request for two high-end draft picks.

Related: Giants

Source: Ralph Vacchiano 

Apr 7 - 9:30 AM

Giants should've traded him before LAST offseason,perhaps even  before the 2017 NFL draft.now they're stuck with a player who essentially missed the entire '17 season save for a few games, one who is looking for a mega-deal contract, who is a malcontent..If i'm the Giants front office I'm taking whatever I can get for him.a 2nd? yes. a 3rd? you bet.

whatever it takes to get him off of my roster. 

Thoughts This offer? This is a 16 team ppr IDP dynasty with 53 man rosters.

This is a big Giants fan that is asking what I would want for him. Is this a fair(ish) offer? I have a strong team that was top 3 last year.

OBJ for...

Jimmy G (my only QB is M Ryan)

J Mixon

Vic Beasley 

Next year's first (probably 1.12-1.16)

This is a big Giants fan that is asking what I would want for him. Is this a fair(ish) offer? I have a strong team that was top 3 last year.

OBJ for...

J Mixon

Vic Beasley 

For me, I want something a little better, although I don’t know what Beasley is worth. Seems defense starts going early 2nd in those type of leagues, so I want something a little more proven with jimmy/mixon to give up a top 5 startup pick. Even if you only have Matt Ryan, you’ll be playing him at least 50/50 with jimmy if not more. He has a lot of years left. Mixon has a lot of love out there, but I’m a little skeptical of the oline and his pass game usage in cincy. 1.14 is hard to put a value on pre draft, draft I’m doing now it was st Brown. Who knows post nfl draft where the tier breaks will fall. I want more, or more proven/blue chip pieces. 

OBJ for...

J Mixon

Vic Beasley 

Think I’d want a bit more.

This guy gets it. Lucky we don't all have non-company people following us around determining how well we do our jobs and how much we really earn our money.

first time dynasty player. any thoughts on this offer?

1.2 (Penny?), 2.1, E Engram, Mike Williams LAC for OBJ

I have 1.1, 2.8, 3.1, 3.8

RBs are Collins, Crowell, Aaron Jones, Gio, Carson and some scrubs

WRs are OBJ, Cooks, Watkins, Jeffery, Snead, Corey Davis and some scrubs

TE is Gathers, Hooper, Seals-Jones

ppr scoring 12 team

I have 1.1. RBs are Collins, Crowell, Aaron Jones, Gio, Carson and some scrubs

ppr scoring 
Those are potentially valuable pieces but they don’t add up to OBJ for me. I’d want an elite dynasty player back and there’s not one in the offer. 

I have 1.1, 2.8, 3.1, 3.8

RBs are Collins, Crowell, Aaron Jones, Gio, Carson and some scrubs

ppr scoring 12 team
I’d ask him to upgrade from Mike Williams to a more established and productive WR. If you move OBJ, your WRs become your weak link. You’ll be relying on Cooks and Jeffery week to week and hoping Watkins and Corey Davis start producing. By adding Mike Williams you add another high upside potential WR but you’ll be lacking actual production week to week.  Try to get him to swap Mike Williams for a solid dynasty WR#2.  Someone like Jarvis Landry, Thielen, or Doug Baldwin would be a good production “now” type player that you could use replace OBJ production right now while you are waiting on Watkins and Davis. 

I’d ask him to upgrade from Mike Williams to a more established and productive WR. If you move OBJ, your WRs become your weak link. You’ll be relying on Cooks and Jeffery week to week and hoping Watkins and Corey Davis start producing. By adding Mike Williams you add another high upside potential WR but you’ll be lacking actual production week to week.  Try to get him to swap Mike Williams for a solid dynasty WR#2.  Someone like Jarvis Landry, Thielen, or Doug Baldwin would be a good production “now” type player that you could use replace OBJ production right now while you are waiting on Watkins and Davis. 
thoughts if he offered Amari Cooper in place of Williams?

1.2, 2.1, 2.7, Engram, Cooper for OBJ

Just completed 1.2, 1.6, 2.7, Engram, Cooper for OBJ, Watkins, and Gio

Not thrilled to give up a blue chip like OBJ but taking over an orphan team in desperate need of help at RB this helps me build going forward while not dropping too far down at WR with 1.6 and Cooper 

Users who are viewing this thread