What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (2 Viewers)

A good bet.  OBJ has always been a slow starter.  This is actually the second most fantasy points he's ever had through the first month of the season, just a couple points off his career best.

And of course "slow starter" is relative, as OBJ's current PPG would have been good for WR3 last year.  There's just a bunch of high variance fakes up there right now who's PPG are inflated by one big game.  They will fade as the season goes on and OBJ won't.
Yeah but...he's only getting dinks and dunks. His YPC is down two yards. If Manning's arm is falling off (considering his age it's certainly possible) there may be no turnaround. I'm quite concerned myself.

Thinking of offering CMC (no keeper rights) for OBJ (8th rd next year). He’s loaded at WR and is running out Riddick this week as his lone back  :yawn:

Yeah but...he's only getting dinks and dunks. His YPC is down two yards. If Manning's arm is falling off (considering his age it's certainly possible) there may be no turnaround. I'm quite concerned myself.
This was one reason I unloaded him in dynasty. 

Traded OBJ, Watkins Gio for what ptetty much ended up being Engram, 1.2 (Guice), 1.11 (Sutton), 2.2 (Gallup), 2.6 (Rosen), 2019 1st (mid to late), 2019 1st (so far 1.1).

I remember last year he was off to a slow start and ended up doing just fine. I'd hold if I had him. If Cooper/Ryan is the going rate, that's crazy. 

Like I said, he's already putting up top 5 WR numbers.  Things are just inflated at the beginning of the season because guys who have one big game are only balancing that out against 4 games instead of 16.

And remember this is all without any TDs, which will certainly come at least to some extent (he's not going to finish with zero).

Like I said, he's already putting up top 5 WR numbers.  Things are just inflated at the beginning of the season because guys who have one big game are only balancing that out against 4 games instead of 16.

And remember this is all without any TDs, which will certainly come at least to some extent (he's not going to finish with zero).
Where are you seeing "top 5" numbers? He's 22nd in ppr and 27th or lower in standard. I get its early but it is the quarter pole and he's not producing like we are used to and I'd say the blame has to go to his declining QB. And let's not forget, he's a temper tantrum away from losing God knows how many games not to mention becoming a team cancer. 

But I hope your optimism is right, I really do,

Where are you seeing "top 5" numbers? He's 22nd in ppr and 27th or lower in standard. I get its early but it is the quarter pole and he's not producing like we are used to and I'd say the blame has to go to his declining QB. And let's not forget, he's a temper tantrum away from losing God knows how many games not to mention becoming a team cancer. 

But I hope your optimism is right, I really do,
He's averaging 16.5ppg which last year would have finished as WR4.

That's my point.  It's not really relevant to look at what position he's in right now because most of those guys at the top are going to regress back to their mean.  Calvin Ridley scoring 21ppg doesn't mean that OBJ needs to score 25ppg to outscore him this year.  Ridley is going to fade back to the pack when his 41 point game comes in a sample size of 16 rather than a sample of 4.  The same is true for DJax, Tate, Boyd, Kupp, and a dozen others.

Thinking of offering CMC (no keeper rights) for OBJ (8th rd next year). He’s loaded at WR and is running out Riddick this week as his lone back  :yawn:
Well it went through. OBJ (and I was wrong, can keep next year in 7th) for my CMC (no keeper rights). I really hated parting with CMC because I reached for him and everyone thought I was crazy but I still see him finishing top 5. I think I’m taking a hit this year but having OBJ in the 7th next year was the tipping point for me.  

And as stupid as it sounds I hated watching Panther games because Cam pisses me off for a multitude of reasons so I didn’t enjoy having a Panther on my team, haha. 

Last edited by a moderator:
OBJ was really pissed this week that the O than is trying to keep Eli Manning upright isn't taking more risks. FOr teh record, I think this is the week Shurmur goes full "Feed The Studs: and we see a lot of Barkley and Beckham.

Odell Beckham Jr.: “I don’t know” if El Manning is the reason for the Giants’ struggling offense.

This guy is the utmost clown. Eli should hang him out to dry all season long.

I appreciate your opinion and I ask questions because I want to understand more.

But I gotta say that it seems the basis of your opinion is thin and feels based far more upon perception than reality.

Then again, perception is reality.
Well this is going just as I suspected. From a fantasy perspective, a big game for Beckham in any game isn't impossible but less and less likely. As this season wears on, I think my point will become clearer and clearer. The question now becomes, will he wear out his welcome this year before they draft their QB of the future next year albeit in an apparently thin class. 

Well this is going just as I suspected. From a fantasy perspective, a big game for Beckham in any game isn't impossible but less and less likely. As this season wears on, I think my point will become clearer and clearer. The question now becomes, will he wear out his welcome this year before they draft their QB of the future next year albeit in an apparently thin class. 
Yeah he's only on pace for 120 receptions and 1400 yards now.

Odell Beckham caught 6-of-10 passes for 44 yards in the Giants' Week 6 loss to the Eagles.

Visibly frustrated all evening, Beckham left the field before the first half was over. He was in the locker room as the G-Men lined up for what would have typically been a Hail Mary attempt. Instead, they threw a screen. Speaking after the game, coach Pat Shurmur claimed Beckham needed an IV. Beckham was amongst the last out of the locker room for the second half, and was soon spotted screaming at a cooling machine. The reason for his frustration was evident to anyone watching the game. Eli Manning simply could not get him the ball on anything but the shortest of passes. The one time Manning tried to find Beckham down the sideline he laughably under-threw the ball. Beckham will look to take out his anger on the Falcons' bottom-tier defense in Week 7.

Oct 11 - 11:40 PM

Eli and the O line deserve some blame but OBJ is not himself. I would bet a lot of money he’s partying with hard drugs. I think he will continue to slip as a player and person. He’s a locker room cancer who only cares about himself. Giants were stupid to pay him all that money. 

His behavior is why I traded him away in dynasty. The guy is a nut case when things aren't going well or his way. Shut him down defensively and he shuts down mentally. That will catch up with him someday. 

I was wondering why the heck he signed his contract if he "wasn't sure he was happy in New York" as the announcers said last night. Why not test the market and go where you want to go then? 

• Smile
Reactions: SCT
The only type of play they can run are quick outs/slants where Eli gets rid of the ball immediately.  The O-line and immobility of Eli are not allowing them to run anything downfield which is where OBJ can gain separation and make the big play.  Because they can't do that there will be lots of games like this one.  I don't see them really trying to go down field because the O-Line/Eli can't generate enough time to let these develop.  A bad situation all around that OBJ is not making any better by his antics.  It is embarrassing at this point.

His behavior is why I traded him away in dynasty. The guy is a nut case when things aren't going well or his way. Shut him down defensively and he shuts down mentally. That will catch up with him someday. 

I was wondering why the heck he signed his contract if he "wasn't sure he was happy in New York" as the announcers said last night. Why not test the market and go where you want to go then? 
Me too. I traded him straight up for Evans after he fought the kicking net or whatever.  Psycho.  That and you could tell Eli was going to severely limit him back then. 

That was really tough to watch last night.

Who is Eli's backup QB this year?

Who are the top QB prospects in next year's draft and are any of them capable of coming in right away and starting for a franchise?

even considering the horrid top talent available at RB/WR in the 2019 class?

Name 3 players in next years rookie class you would take over ODB.
Wow... You're going off about 6 month old information there if you really think that. Next year's WR class is loaded and there are potentially 2 first round (NFL draft) RBs. The 2019 WR class could be the best class we've seen in the last 5 years

I loved that everyone thought/thinks 2019 is a bad draft. I was able to load up with 6 1st rounders and an extra 2nd for 2019. So far it's looking like I'll have the first 3 picks at least. Looking forward to drafting Bryce Love, AJ Brown, and then will figure it out from there. Maybe Damien Williams depending where he ends up. Traeveon Williams could be a draft riser.. Samuel, Campbell, Hall... all 3 of those WRs could be big.  The Texas Tech duo could be monsters as well. I expect more WRs will be taken round 1 and round 2 than 2018. 

He is starting to legitimately look like a person who is mentally ill. Those close ups of him? Look in those eyes man. I wouldn't want any part of him on my team. Guy is starting to make Terrell Owens look like a Man of the Year candidate.  

He is starting to legitimately look like a person who is mentally ill. Those close ups of him? Look in those eyes man. I wouldn't want any part of him on my team. Guy is starting to make Terrell Owens look like a Man of the Year candidate.  
how else do you explain signing a big extension and then hating your team?

Funny thing is a year ago many said the same thing- off to a slow start, hes crazy, its catching up to him, whatever. I was one of those people. Then he still had a great season. 

ILUVBEER99 said:
even considering the horrid top talent available at RB/WR in the 2019 class?

Name 3 players in next years rookie class you would take over ODB.
I agree.

2019 looks depressingly mediocre, maybe worse.

It's early, but it's not looking good at all, IMO.

Giants should've traded him, pre draft..They won't win more than 2 more games, probably beat the Colts and the Niners and that's it. They can't run with the Falcons please just stop.They wont beat the Eagles, probably get swept by Redskins, lose to Dallas, Bears, Titans, Bucs. I think we're sitting on the #1 pick next year..

None of the teams vying for that top spot in next years draft, need a QB - Oak, Indy, Az, Falcons, Niners. Giants will get the best QB in the 2019 draft if they want him. but they need so much help in other positions that it makes perfect sense to trade away OBJ and get as many picks as you can - take the best offer and run with it.

get rid of the blond hair, hyper drama queening jackwagon once and for all.

BTW he would've had 2-4 more recs lat night but he INSISTS on trying to make every single catch with one hand. every.single.catch. 

Of ALL the teams that desperately need OBJ it is Green Bay. or SF. or Oaktown, Dallas, NE, etc.

just ask for a 1st and something else and get rid of him. you can rebuild in next year's draft! 

I agree.

2019 looks depressingly mediocre, maybe worse.

It's early, but it's not looking good at all, IMO.
I disagree completely. this is a stacked class. but to each their own. a year ago people were saying 2018 was going to be depressing aside from barkely. how quick things change in 2 months 

I disagree completely. this is a stacked class. but to each their own. a year ago people were saying 2018 was going to be depressing aside from barkely. how quick things change in 2 months 
I had it just the opposite last year & I believe I wasn't the only one. In fact, if I'm remembering right, 2018 was looked at as a loaded class by the vast majority of FFers. 8 good RBs, great QB class, & some underrated WRs like Sutton & Ridley.

I'm also not the only one who's down on the 2019 class in general. I'm not saying there aren't potential studs, but it doesn't look like a typical good class right now, IMO.

That said, I guess this is a discussion for another thread.

Giants should've traded him, pre draft..They won't win more than 2 more games, probably beat the Colts and the Niners and that's it. They can't run with the Falcons please just stop.They wont beat the Eagles, probably get swept by Redskins, lose to Dallas, Bears, Titans, Bucs. I think we're sitting on the #1 pick next year..

None of the teams vying for that top spot in next years draft, need a QB - Oak, Indy, Az, Falcons, Niners. Giants will get the best QB in the 2019 draft if they want him. but they need so much help in other positions that it makes perfect sense to trade away OBJ and get as many picks as you can - take the best offer and run with it.
Why would them being a bad team this year mean they should trade a 25 year old stud WR?  They have plenty of time to rebuild while Beckham is still in his prime.

Like you said they'll get their shot at a QB in the 2019 class and have their Barkley/Beckham/QB trio for half a dozen years.

The sideline blowup will blow over like it always does.  At least his blowups are because he wants to win and not because he's mad he's not getting force fed the ball every play like other great receivers in the past.

get rid of the blond hair, hyper drama queening jackwagon once and for all.

BTW he would've had 2-4 more recs lat night but he INSISTS on trying to make every single catch with one hand. every.single.catch. 

Of ALL the teams that desperately need OBJ it is Green Bay. or SF. or Oaktown, Dallas, NE, etc.

just ask for a 1st and something else and get rid of him. you can rebuild in next year's draft! 
I noticed the same thing. Any pass that’s not precise he trys to one hand. He’s the most annoying player in the NFL right now. I own him in my 2 dynasty leagues and I want him off my team. 

gordon was and remains very lighthearted and likeable.
I read that GQ article on him and found him endearing. Beckham looks nuts. Like scary nuts. That time he fought the kicking net, that was kind of funny but I don't find anything funny about him now. I think we all probably know one person that just gradually declined  into some form of mental illness. It's a slow process. He actually unnerves me when they show him on the sideline screaming at someone who isn't even there...

Does he have a history of concussions?  I don't remember ever reading about him getting a concussion, but I don't follow him closely and don't have him on any of my teams.

Users who are viewing this thread