Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bob Magaw

Official Odell Beckham, Jr.

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

That's an absolutely fair point, and I always merely winced over Terrell. I couldn't believe his Super Bowl. At some point, though, it seemed like he (TO) had a deleterious effect on his team.   

Yeah, I think it could actually matter in real life football before it matters in fantasy. I’d rather Beckham not do this stuff but to borrow your term right now it’s just wince-worthy for me. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's right about a lot of the stuff he talked about.

He's an established player, there is zero reason to go to "voluntary" practices if he's not getting paid for it.  The NFL is a business and if a player isn't performing the owners will throw them out like trash.

These guys have worked their entire lives to make it where they are.  It's not a privilege to play in the NFL or any other top sport.  They earned it the same way someone in other top professions did.

A lot of fans are stupid how they look at top athletes.  It's extremely hard to make it in the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.  It takes a lot more than raw athletic ability to make it.  They bust their ### and deserve to get paid and not work for free.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:16 PM, ILUVBEER99 said:

he's right about a lot of the stuff he talked about.

He's an established player, there is zero reason to go to "voluntary" practices if he's not getting paid for it.  The NFL is a business and if a player isn't performing the owners will throw them out like trash.

These guys have worked their entire lives to make it where they are.  It's not a privilege to play in the NFL or any other top sport.  They earned it the same way someone in other top professions did.

A lot of fans are stupid how they look at top athletes.  It's extremely hard to make it in the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.  It takes a lot more than raw athletic ability to make it.  They bust their ### and deserve to get paid and not work for free.

when our the highest paid player on the team... you should show and demonstrate some leadership

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KellysHeroes said:

when our the highest paid player on the team... you should show and demonstrate some leadership

Ehhhhh.  You could argue that he should show up and help in other ways besides physically participating (mental prep, mentoring young players, etc).  But, when a risk of freak injury can happen and wipe out tens of millions, I gotta side with players.  It's not like the owners are gonna pay a hurt player a max contract because he's a "good leader".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

with Michael.Thomas dwarfing OBJs contract, how long until we see OBJ ask for a new one? 

There were rumors he was looking for more before he got traded. Maybe they were just rumors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

with Michael.Thomas dwarfing OBJs contract, how long until we see OBJ ask for a new one? 

OBJ has a $90 mill deal with $65 guaranteed, Michael Thomas I believe got $100 mill with $61 guaranteed. OBJ just signed last year. I would be pretty shocked if he wanted a new contract right now-especially given he still has a higher guaranteed number. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

There were rumors he was looking for more before he got traded. Maybe they were just rumors.

A new one? He just signed one and he still has the most guaranteed money of any WR in the NFL. What would he be demanding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

OBJ has a $90 mill deal with $65 guaranteed, Michael Thomas I believe got $100 mill with $61 guaranteed. OBJ just signed last year. I would be pretty shocked if he wanted a new contract right now-especially given he still has a higher guaranteed number. 

I wouldnt put it past him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I wouldnt put it past him

Based on what? It says there is an out after this season but is it a team out or a player out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

with Michael.Thomas dwarfing OBJs contract, how long until we see OBJ ask for a new one? 

The only thing that matters in the NFL is guaranteed money, and Beckham got more.  I'm not saying that he doesn't want a better deal, but your reasoning on this one is flawed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Based on what?

IIRC, Dan traded OBJ and he's been down on him ever since :lol: 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Based on what? It says there is an out after this season but is it a team out or a player out?

Team

49 minutes ago, Steeler said:

IIRC, Dan traded OBJ and he's been down on him ever since :lol: 

Actually almost struck a deal for him prior to his trade. I've been back and forth on him but I have several concerns I've voiced in here prior, so no need to rehash. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, tangfoot said:

The only thing that matters in the NFL is guaranteed money, and Beckham got more.  I'm not saying that he doesn't want a better deal, but your reasoning on this one is flawed.

OBJ’s contract was initially reported as $95M with $65M guaranteed - that’s what @Ilov80s was referencing. But subsequently we learned it was really a $90M contract with a $5M escalator in later years, and while it potentially contains $65M in guarantees, only $41M was guaranteed at signing.

Thomas got $61M guaranteed, which was being reported as the most ever for a non-QB. We’ll have to see if those initial reports hold up when we get the details.

 

 

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

OBJ’s contract was initially reported as $95M with $65M guaranteed - that’s what @Ilov80s was referencing. But subsequently we learned it was really a $90M contract with a $5M escalator in later years, and while it potentially contains $65M in guarantees, only $41M was guaranteed at signing.

Thomas got $61M guaranteed, which was being reported as the most ever for a non-QB. We’ll have to see if those initial reports hold up when we get the details.

 

 

I was just using the info from sporttrac and over the cap. It does note the team could opt out at the end of this next season and he wouldn’t get the last $20 million guaranteed. But he would also be a FA able to sign even larger contract. So either he gets $61 guaranteed or he gets $41 and gets to sign a new contract at age 27 likely worth even more. 

Edited by Ilov80s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports Odell Beckham missed Wednesday's team portion of practice with a hip pointer.

The Browns reportedly aren't overly concerned about a long term absence, and Graziano notes Beckham participated in individual drills Wednesday. When asked after practice, head coach Freddie Kitchens told reporters Odell is dealing with "a little bit of something," but is ready to go mentally and should be back "pretty soon." Beckham certainly will miss the second week of the preseason. It wouldn't be surprising to see the star receiver held out of game action until Week 1.

SOURCE: Dan Graziano on Twitter

Aug 14, 2019, 6:43 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Odell Beckham (hip) is expected to miss Saturday's second preseason game, but coach Freddie Kitchens hinted he could play were it the regular season.

NFL.com's Dan Graziano reported that Beckham is dealing with a hip pointer, but the Cleveland Plain Dealer said it's a different hip injury. Regardless of its exact nature, it is a day-to-day issue. Beckham sounds like he should be good to go for next week's regular season dress rehearsal, but it would not be cause for alarm were the Browns to hold him out.

SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Aug 15, 2019, 10:26 AM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put out an offer to get OBJ last night, then read this this morning and pulled the offer.   I doubt its anything serious, but would like more clarification before considering trading for him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steelcityman said:

I put out an offer to get OBJ last night, then read this this morning and pulled the offer.   I doubt its anything serious, but would like more clarification before considering trading for him.  

what did you offer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 11:16 PM, ILUVBEER99 said:

he's right about a lot of the stuff he talked about.

He's an established player, there is zero reason to go to "voluntary" practices if he's not getting paid for it.  The NFL is a business and if a player isn't performing the owners will throw them out like trash.

These guys have worked their entire lives to make it where they are.  It's not a privilege to play in the NFL or any other top sport.  They earned it the same way someone in other top professions did.

A lot of fans are stupid how they look at top athletes.  It's extremely hard to make it in the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.  It takes a lot more than raw athletic ability to make it.  They bust their ### and deserve to get paid and not work for free.

Just as an example would be an entirely different personality type like Barry Sanders.  Guy skipped most voluntary practices yet always showed up in shape and ready to play.  That's all anybody needs to see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Odell Beckham is not concerned about his hip injury.

Essentially confirming an earlier Cleveland Plain Dealer report, Beckham intimated Thursday that he would be playing were it the regular season. He is expected to sit out Saturday's preseason game. There is zero reason to be concerned about Beckham's Week 1 status.

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

Aug 15, 2019, 6:31 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

what did you offer?

probably too much, Mack, Kupp, Tremaine Edmunds and Derwin  James.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/odell-beckham-jr-claims-giants-had-better-trade-offers-but-sent-him-to-browns-to-die/310144262

SI article

 

OMFG ODELL STAPH. Why does he keep saying he's done with the Giants, then keep talking about the Giants?

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 1:53 PM, steelcityman said:

probably too much, Mack, Kupp, Tremaine Edmunds and Derwin  James.

Way too much. Top 15 RB, Top 20 WR, Top 10 LB and Top 3 DB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's your problem now , Brownies.

enjoy.

signed: Giants fan

it won't take long till his shenanigans pop up again. you'll be tired of him by week 3.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with the James injury and Luck retirement, thus making some think Mack cant run the ball anymore, I couldnt get any trades done.   But looking at who kept who in my league, its pretty obvious half dont have a clue.   They cut guys I would have traded for had I known they were so stupid.

Oh well, its on this Saturday.

Does anyone know if there is another IDP round table podcast this week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ODB gonna score alot of tds this season

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot, the Browns will be the highest scoring team in NFL history, and their defense will give up the fewest pts in NFL history.  IDK why the other teams would even show up, Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Rams, Saints, Eagles, Bears....forget about it, just hand the Lombardi to Baker now. 😂

Edited by steelcityman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Buck Bradcanon said:

93/1,450/14

102-1488-12

:P

If everyone stays healthy he is gonna beast again. He’s got a lot of pent up frustration from the last couple years of injuries & wasting his prime trying to catch from Eli. He’s a nutcase but as long as he channels it toward the field IDC. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Coach Freddie Kitchens confirmed Odell Beckham (hip) is "ready to go" for Week 1 against the Titans.

OBJ battled a little bit of a hip issue late in camp but returned to team drills over a week ago and is ready for his Browns debut. Fire OBJ up as a locked-in elite WR1.

SOURCE: Scott Petrak on Twitter

Sep 4, 2019, 11:06 AM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ap28.allday said:

Jarvis Landry said this week in practice OBJ was still the fastest WR in the room with the "hip issue".  

Hopefully he’s just being dramatic.

Edited by The General

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, The General said:

Hopefully he’s just being dramatic.

Yeah.. I watched the OBJ interview, think he's just being overly honest.  He isn't 100%. But...based on comments from teammates and the coaching staff from their observations, he's probably like 95%.  I think most other players would say they're 100% in the same situation. 🤞 

Edited by ap28.allday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The General said:

Hopefully he’s just being dramatic.

Hes a drama queen to the max

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

If only there were warning signs...

you're trying really hard to make this an ab situation in 2 threads. why?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Soulfly3 said:

you're trying really hard to make this an ab situation in 2 threads. why?

He traded away OBJ and wants desperately for that to be the correct decision :lol: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steeler said:

He traded away OBJ and wants desperately for that to be the correct decision :lol: 

the guy has a hip injury and says nothing will stand in the way on gameday, and he's suddenly an antonio brown type liability?

dont get me wrong, the guy is a diva, but that's about it

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Steeler said:

He traded away OBJ and wants desperately for that to be the correct decision :lol: 

No, I've been clear in here several times. I've been 50/50 on him. tried trading for him earlier this offseason actually but I'm glad I did not get him for my price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Dan said:

No, I've been clear in here several times. I've been 50/50 on him. tried trading for him earlier this offseason actually but I'm glad I did not get him for my price. 

I obviously have no problem if you don't want to risk having OBJ on your team due to past transgressions.  But last year and so far this year he has been better (not perfect).  But he is light years away from being like AB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.