What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Jaguars will release QB Blake Bortles.

The deal will become official on Wednesday when Nick Foles officially signs his four-year deal worth $22 million annually. Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell has worked miracles to keep his job since making Bortles the No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft. Despite plus size and athleticism, Bortles never got it together as a passer or mentally, experiencing severe bouts of unconfidence in Jacksonville. He should resurface as a backup, but even at age 27 it's safe to say Bortles' days of being considered a potential franchise quarterback are finished.

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 11, 2019, 2:56 PM

Free agent Blake Bortles will visit with the Rams next week.

It's the first team to show interest in Bortles since his release. The Rams are in the market for a backup quarterback with Sean Mannion a free agent. Bortles would be an upgrade on Mannion, but little else.

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Rams

SOURCE: Mike Silver on Twitter

Mar 15, 2019, 7:35 PM

@JeffDarlington: Blake Bortles is currently finalizing a deal to join the Rams as Jared Goff’s backup, per source.

Rams signed QB Blake Bortles, formerly of the Jaguars, to a one-year contract.

The Broncos and Ravens also reportedly had interest in Bortles, but no team with an opening atop its depth chart showed any interest in the former No. 3 overall pick. He'll spend 2019 backing up Jared Goff, replacing Sean Mannion, who is also a free agent. Goff has never missed a game to injury, but at least the Rams are better off now with Bortles than with Mannion.

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

Mar 18, 2019, 6:37 PM

Looking forward to seeing contract terms.

I know the Rams made some cuts, but with signing Weddle and retaining Fowler, I thought they had ~$8M in cap space left, which is playing it tight. Sure, they are in a win now mode, but that doesn't give any contingency wiggle room.

Going to be interesting to see what happens to this team having to pay so many high ticket players, and how that may or may not hamstring them this year and certainly in the years to come. 

If you were the 40th or so best guy in the world at any job that pays millions, you could probably count on a decent job and paycheck even if you weren't in the top 30. Sucking is kind of relative.

Looks like I picked the wrong super bowl team. Must be nice to suck at your job and then be able to get a job with a better company.
How does he suck at his job?   By your definition there's like 10-15 guys in the world that don't suck at being an NFL quarterback, and that's for a job 99.9999% of US males would want more than their current job.

Broncos signed QB Blake Bortles to a one-year contract.

Broncos brought Bortles in for a visit last year but will make his signing official this time given the extended absence of Drew Lock (shoulder). Jeff Driskel is expected to start Week 3 against the Bucs, but Bortles provides a backup option since the team only kept two quarterbacks coming into the year. Bortles also offers veteran experience with 76 career starts compared to Driskel's 13.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Sep 22, 2020, 9:09 AM ET

Important late breaking news for  Brees, Russ, Carr and Herbert owners...one less viable bye week option for you

Blake Bortles QB, Unsigned Free Agent

Broncos released QB Blake Bortles.

It's a sign Drew Lock (questionable, shoulder) will start Sunday. 28-year-old Bortles didn't appear in any games while Lock was sidelined. The Broncos promoted DL Sylvester Williams from the practice squad to take his spot on the roster.

Oct 17, 2020, 12:46 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Important late breaking news for  Brees, Russ, Carr and Herbert owners...one less viable bye week option for you

Blake Bortles QB, Unsigned Free Agent

Broncos released QB Blake Bortles.

It's a sign Drew Lock (questionable, shoulder) will start Sunday. 28-year-old Bortles didn't appear in any games while Lock was sidelined. The Broncos promoted DL Sylvester Williams from the practice squad to take his spot on the roster.

Oct 17, 2020, 12:46 PM ET
huh?

Packers signed QB Blake Bortles, formerly of the Rams, to a one-year contract.

Bortles, 29, has familiarity with both coach Matt LaFleur with the Rams and OC Nathaniel Hackett after the two went to the AFC title game together with the Jaguars. This move is solely based on familiarity, as Hackett reportedly "loves" Bortles. For Bortles, he'll get to sling the ball around at in-person workouts next week alongside Jordan Love with Aaron Rodgers keeping his distance from the team in hope of a trade out of town. Love and Bortles would make for a hilariously-bad QB duo if Rodgers is indeed dealt.

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Rams

May 12, 2021, 5:34 PM ET

That seems like a bad sign
Its meaningless to the Rodgers situation. The Packers needed more arms in training camp either way. They let backup QB Tim Boyle sign with Detroit as a free agent. Rodgers and Love were the only 2 QBs on the roster. No way only 2 QBs take all the throws in camp. If anything, the fact they let Boyle walk and only sign Bortles shows they have confidence in Love and/or bringing Rodgers back.

Its meaningless to the Rodgers situation. The Packers needed more arms in training camp either way. They let backup QB Tim Boyle sign with Detroit as a free agent. Rodgers and Love were the only 2 QBs on the roster. No way only 2 QBs take all the throws in camp. If anything, the fact they let Boyle walk and only sign Bortles shows they have confidence in Love and/or bringing Rodgers back.
He is an interesting choice. Highest drafted QB on the roster lol. 

That seems like a bad sign
Bortles seems like a perfect #3 for the Packers, but it won't be good if he ends up being #2, whether he's backing up Rodgers or Love.

CletiusMaximus said:
Bortles seems like a perfect #3 for the Packers, but it won't be good if he ends up being #2, whether he's backing up Rodgers or Love.
I thought he kind of famously doesn't have the best attitude but maybe I am misreading. Seems a little curiously threatening to Love. 

He is an interesting choice. Highest drafted QB on the roster lol. 
I think last year was one of the only years Brady was the highest drafted QB on the roster. Brady was drafted #199, Ryan Griffin drafted #201. Lol. Bortles has been super erratic, mostly bad, but has mixed in enough good games to stay in the NFL. Who else is out there?

I think last year was one of the only years Brady was the highest drafted QB on the roster. Brady was drafted #199, Ryan Griffin drafted #201. Lol. Bortles has been super erratic, mostly bad, but has mixed in enough good games to stay in the NFL. Who else is out there?
I’m joking around, I don’t think draft position matters at this stage. Though for the “Bortles was just signed because they needed an arm for camp”, that might be questionable now as the Packers have signed another QB today who sounds like the kind of guy you bring to camp just to have a guy around who can throw. 

I thought he kind of famously doesn't have the best attitude but maybe I am misreading. Seems a little curiously threatening to Love. 
We haven’t see anything from Love. We know Bortles isn’t great, but he’s a seasoned NFL QB. He doesn’t have to be great if Love sucks/isn’t ready. 

if ARod does walk away, Could we see a Bortles resurgence in GB? 
😳

I've been rewatching the Good Place and just got to the point where the real life jaguars made it to the playoffs and Blake bortles may have been good for a minute.

Nothing really to add, just pretty sure the world ended in 2012.

We haven’t see anything from Love. We know Bortles isn’t great, but he’s a seasoned NFL QB. He doesn’t have to be great if Love sucks/isn’t ready. 

if ARod does walk away, Could we see a Bortles resurgence in GB? 
😳
Not impossible but I think Love would have to look really bad for that to happen. 

Saints released QB Blake Bortles. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Bortles requested his release and the team obliged after bringing on journeyman Andy Dalton as Jameis Winston's backup. With strong links to new Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett, look for Denver to enter the Bortles sweepstakes in the coming weeks. Bortles has completed 59.3 percent of his NFL passes for 103 touchdowns and 75 interceptions over six years. 

RELATED: 

Andy Dalton

, New Orleans Saints

, Denver Broncos

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Apr 5, 2022, 11:40 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread