What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2014 NFL Draft All-Overrated Team: Alabama QB AJ McCarron (1 Viewer)

I think that the comparison most commonly attached to AJ McCarron is Andy Dalton.

Scouting report from CBSSports.com and NFLDraftScout.com

OVERVIEW

McCarron was highly recruited out of high school, but stayed close to home and enrolled at Alabama where he redshirted in 2009 and served as the back-up in 2010 to Greg McElroy. He became the Tide?s starter in 2011 and led Alabama to back-to-back National Titles, leaving Alabama with a .900 winning percentage ? won the Maxwell and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Awards and was the Heisman runner-up in 2013. McCarron plays like a seasoned veteran with good leadership traits and is always under control, flashing clutch ability and the moment never seems too big. His arm strength and ball placement are just good enough, but far from ideal for the next level. A proven winner, McCarron won?t make a lot of mistakes, but he can also be underwhelming as a passer and projects as a borderline NFL starter ? too good to be a back-up, but not quite starting material either.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS: Good size and height. Balanced passer and gets into a rhythm quickly with proper mechanics. Sees the field well and makes smart, sharp decisions. Nice job stepping up and moves well within the pocket, showing good footwork to avoid the rush while keeping his eyes downfield. Average athlete with enough foot speed to buy time and make plays outside the pocket. Nice job recognizing pressure, adjusting and surveying, not afraid to throw the ball away. Good timing and accuracy and throws a very catchable ball with nice touch. High football IQ and operates the offensive gameplan very efficiently. Doesn?t miss throws he should make and takes what the defense gives him. Confident leader with professional intangibles. Shows good fight and resolve on the field. Strong collegiate resume as a three-year starter with a 36-4 career record as a starter (.900), including three National Championship. Holds school records for passing yards in a season (3,063) and career (10,019) and passing touchdowns in a career (77).

WEAKNESSES: Very average body type and build. Lacks an elite arm with average-at-best velocity on downfield throws. Deep ball tends to float too much. Will drop his eye level prematurely at times and abandon his reads. Gets himself in trouble when attempting to throw off his back foot, struggling to get much juice on passes 20+ yards. Pre-snap reads are a work-in-progress and will predetermine throws or lead defenders to his intended target, allowing them to undercut the route. Some durability concerns after minor foot surgery in Jan. 2014 and past issues with his right knee and fatigued throwing shoulder.

--Dane Brugler

Rotoworld:

NFL teams question how Alabama QB AJ McCarron will act when everything is breaking down around him, according to NFL.com's Albert Breer.
Breer points out that, unlike with others prospects, evaluators struggled to find examples of situations that put McCarron in less than ideal situations. "The Oklahoma game raised concerns," Breer tweeted. There are examples of McCarron displaying promising pocket movement, mostly at the beginning of games, but others where he gets a bit frenetic.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

AJ McCarron can thrive on Titans, Cardinals, analysts say

By Bryan Fischer

College Football 24/7 writer

Alabama coach Nick Saban has already issued his warning that clubs need to pay more attention to quarterback AJ McCarron as one of the best options at the position in this year's NFL Draft.

Count NFL Media analyst Charles Davis as someone who echoes that sentiment. Discussing McCarron on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft," Davis said he thinks McCarron could be more than just a solid NFL starter.

"He has the intelligence, he has the background in what he is doing," Davis said. "He knows that his arm isn't elite, so he makes up for it with anticipation and timing and understanding of routes to know when to get rid of the football."

McCarron has drawn mixed reviews from scouts despite being one of the most successful quarterbacks to ever play college football. His stock is trending upward, however, and that was further enhanced by a very successful pro day in front of all 32 NFL teams.

While it's clear that the Alabama native will find a home on some club's roster, where he goes might be just as important to his NFL future as when he goes in the draft.

"He's going to have to go a place that mirrors what he had at Alabama," Davis said. "A place that has a big-time running game, a place with a stout offensive line and some receivers that can make some plays.

"To me that's the Tennessee Titans."

That destination would fulfill several of the team requirements Davis thinks McCarron needs. 2014 figures to be an audition year for current Titans starter Jake Locker as new coach Ken Whisenhunt figures out whether he's the long-term answer. Although the team did sign Charlie Whitehurst to be the backup, he's unlikely to be a major factor in the team's plans.

McCarron will have a tough time cracking anyone's first-round mock draft, but he remains in play to be a second-day pick for a number of teams. Fellow analyst Daniel Jeremiah suggested that a team out West should strongly consider McCarron.

"I look at a team like the Arizona Cardinals," Jeremiah said. "You've got Carson Palmer in his mid-30's. Get another year or two out of him and groom AJ McCarron. He doesn't have a big arm, but I don't think you need one in that division. You're playing indoors and on the West Coast a lot. I'd think he'd fit nicely in there and get the last couple of years of Larry Fitzgerald's career.

"If he goes to the right fit, we could sit here seven or eight years from now saying that was the guy teams missed on."

Oh look, there's Saban nodding along in agreement.

Follow Bryan Fischer on Twitter @BryanDFischer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Alabama QB AJ McCarron considers himself the best quarterback in the draft.
"Why not?" he said. The 6-foot-4, 214-pounder pocketed two national championships with the Crimson Tide and threw for 9,019 yards, 77 touchdowns and 15 interceptions over his four years. McCarron structured his passing exhibition for scouts at last week's pro day in such a way as to attempt to answer their questions about him. "I've been hearing everything about arm strength and deep outs and comebacks," McCarron said. "I feel like I should silence all that. I threw it deep early in the workout and I threw it deep late. I felt like it was a real good day."

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Draft insider Tony Pauline gives Alabama QB AJ McCarron a second-round grade.
It's a higher ranking than the vast majority of evaluators have allotted, but McCarron is a divisive prospect. The 6-foot-4, 214-pounder won two national championships with the Crimson Tide, throwing for 9,019 yards, 77 touchdowns and 15 interceptions over four seasons. Usual suspects Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr and Johnny Manziel all rank as surefire first-rounders, while Jimmy Garoppolo joins McCarron on Pauline's second-round line.

Source: DraftInsider.net

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Louis Riddick believes Alabama AJ McCarron's pro day drills are the best he has seen particularly "from the gun."
"Alabama pro-day drills for QB A.J. McCarron the best I have seen, particularly when simulating work from the gun," Riddick tweeted. McCarron is very comfortable operating a pro-style offense and working from under center and in the gun. At the next level, McCarron could thrive in a run first offense that doesn't rely on him to do too much. McCarron carries himself well on the football field and plays like a seasoned veteran, showing solid leadership traits and a high football IQ. If a team is looking for a quarterback that operates within the game plan, McCarron could be successful under the right system around him. Look for his name to be called in the second to third-round of the draft.

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

I hope the Texans take Clowney and if that happens I'll be elated/relieved for a second and then on edge that we might waste a 2nd or 3rd on this %^&*@!.

But I'm not kidding myself. I know we're going to take a QB 1st overall and consequently toil in mediocrity for the foreseeable future. :kicksrock:

Rotoworld:

"A lot of personnel guys" have connected Alabama QB AJ McCarron to the Arizona Cardinals, according to NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah.
Jeremiah assumes the pick could be made in the second-round. We do not really see the fit, as Bruce Arians loves to test teams vertically. Of the nine quarterbacks charted by Greg Peshek, McCarron had the worst completion percentage of passes beyond 20 yards. The Alabama quarterback can be an extension of a game plan, but would work best with a strong running game and play action off of that. Remember, the Cardinals were linked with Matt Barkley last year.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

SI 64, Nos. 59-55: AJ McCarron, Jarvis Landry, Jackson Jeffcoat and more

By Chris Burke

Excerpt:

No. 58: AJ McCarron, QB, AlabamaBio: Heisman runner-up. Two-time national champ. Ripped the love of Brent Musberger’s life away from him. It feels like McCarron has been Alabama’s starting quarterback since the Reagan administration, so his résumé is common knowledge by this point. He lost just four games as the Crimson Tide’s starter (including that instant classic at Auburn to prevent an Alabama three-peat). McCarron’s college career ended with the 2013 Maxwell Award as Player of the Year, thanks to 3,000 yards passing and 28 touchdowns.

Strengths: Even for a QB sheltered within his offensive system, a career TD:INT differential of 77-15 speaks to noteworthy decision-making. For the most part, McCarron rolls through his progressions well and shows a strong sense for when he can push the envelope a bit. Utilizes play-action well, with enough athleticism to move the pocket. Accurate and consistent across the board. Obviously, the experience leading Alabama put McCarron into high-pressure situations, which he handled with aplomb.

Weaknesses: Stretching the field vertically needs to be a small piece of any offense he runs, as opposed to a main component, because he does not have a cannon for an arm. The ball occasionally floats on him, though it appears to be a correctable mechanical problem. Will scouts fault McCarron for playing on a borderline dynasty? His pro offensive line will not afford him the type of omnipresent pocket that he enjoyed at Alabama.

Conclusion: Go ahead and slap the dreaded “game-manager” tag on McCarron if you must. It’s true: He is not going to blow anyone away with his arm or his mobility. However, it is foolish to pretend that anyone could have accomplished what he did at Alabama. Mentally, he has what it takes to stick in the NFL and his leadership qualities will be high up his list of positives. Expecting McCarron to step in and start from day one as a rookie would be a mistake. He could, however, serve as a competent backup, capable of stepping up in a pinch. Given enough time in that role, he may earn a starting job.

NFL player comparison: Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins (4th round, 2012, Michigan State)

SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar

No Senior Bowl. No combine. Tats. Physical limitations. Reality show. Oh, A.J. How you have eluded Draft Judgment Gauntlet is a mystery.
Eric Galko ‏@OptimumScouting

Between past situations, team reactions and this reality show, AJ McCarron will be a harder sell on Day 2 then I expected a few months ago.
Pete Prisco ‏@PriscoCBS

So a reality show matters for A.J. McCarron? Uh, no.
Chase Goodbread ‏@ChaseGoodbread

Look for a "not my idea, just going along" type answer when McCarron is asked about reality show. Not his style to self-promote.
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar

The same guy who killed Manziel for craving the bright lights of Hollywood loves the intangibles of a guy with a reality show. You tell me.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Former NFL MVP Rich Gannon on Sirius about @10AJMcCarron doing a reality show with Katherine Webb: "A bad idea. Really a poor decision."

Rotoworld:

Alabama QB AJ McCarron is conducting a private workout for the Browns on Wednesday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.
McCarron is nothing more than a third-round pick, no matter how much you value his game. The Alabama quarterback is a limited passer, but teams might conclude he could help a team win if supported by a strong running game and tough defense. Teams will try to mimic the Seahawks' approach, but they'll need plenty of luck if McCarron is the choice at quarterback.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

2014 NFL Draft: AJ McCarron more than a game managerPat Kirwan

Excerpt:

I'm still watching players and this week a few players I studied are worth talking about today.

Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron is considered as a mid- to late-round pick, but after watching the Virginia Tech and Tennessee games I see he has skills that relate to the NFL game. McCarron is better than a game manager, as he is often described.

I watched him throw 22-yard dig routes and back shoulder fades. I watched him escape pressure in the Virginia Tech game and look deep to short and deliver the ball. He throws a catchable ball and reminded me a bit of a Brad Johnson or Matt Schaub with his style. He does some of the subtle things like looking off safeties and lets coverage dictate where to go with the ball.

He could run a traditional NFL offense and I don't think it's fair to group him with former Alabama quarterbacks Greg McElroy or John Parker Wilson.

Report: Alabama's AJ McCarron missed Titans visit with illnessBy Chase Goodbread

An under-the-weather AJ McCarron reportedly called in sick on a visit to the Tennessee Titans last month.

And it's fair to say that of all the clubs the former Alabama quarterback has visited or worked out for, the timing of this particular illness was pretty bad. McCarron and the Titans, after all, could be a nice fit.

The Tennessean's Jim Wyatt also reported via Twitter that the club will not reschedule the visit. It amounts to a missed opportunity for both parties.

The Titans are thought to be squarely in the market for a quarterback, but might not be looking to pick one in the first round. The club is without a third-round pick, but could find McCarron as the right man to compete with Jake Locker early in the second round (42nd overall), or as a true bargain early in the fourth round (112th overall). McCarron is considered a second-day (Rounds 2-3) or early third-day (Rounds 4-7) prospect, and the Titans would figure to be among those most likely to view McCarron as a nice option.

All that said, it's not as though Tennessee hasn't had its chances to evaluate McCarron. Nor does it necessarily follow that Tennessee would have less interest in him as a result.

But the fit is hard to argue with, particularly the way NFL Media analyst Charles Davis put it:

"He's going to have to go a place that mirrors what he had at Alabama," Davis said on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" last month. "A place that has a big-time running game, a place with a stout offensive line and some receivers that can make some plays. To me, that's the Tennessee Titans."

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN Stats and Information, Alabama QB AJ McCarron's QBR was better than average in 37 of his 40 career starts.
Not only that, but McCarron had an above average QBR in all 17 games he started against top 25 competition. That's the good news. The bad news is that ESPN reveals that McCarron threw 57 percent of his interceptions last season (four of seven) in the 16 percent of his throws that were under duress. When you couple that skittishness with a lackluster arm -- Rotoworld's Greg Peshek charted McCarron as having the worst adjusted completion percentage (43.24) of passes that traveled 20-plus yards downfield amongst nine quarterbacks evaluated -- you can understand why we'd advise an NFL team to select a different Day 3 developmental QB.

Source: ESPN Insider

Broadway Joe sees potential for QB AJ McCarronBy Chase Goodbread

From one former Alabama quarterback to another, it's not surprising that "Broadway" Joe Namath likes what he sees from the Crimson Tide's latest pro quarterback prospect, AJ McCarron.

"He has the ability physically and mentally, certainly, and the leadership quality, the intangibles, the work ethic," Namath said.

But the former New York Jets star also sees trouble ahead for McCarron's NFL career if he doesn't happen to land in the right situation on draft day. Namath told goerie.com that the Crimson Tide's three-year starter and two-time national champion needs a strong offensive line to play behind.

"The best quarterback I ever saw play that's not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame is Archie Manning, because he never had a decent team. It's a team game," Namath said. "If AJ gets with some guys that could allow him to do his best, too â offensive line to start with. If AJ gets a team that doesn't have the kind of blocking he needs, he's going to struggle. I'm first hoping that he gets with a quality group of people and teachers and AJ will be fine."

To some extent, of course, Namath's logic applies to every rookie quarterback. To McCarron, however, it may apply more than most. McCarron isn't particularly mobile, and Alabama's dynamic rushing attack didn't place him in as many third-and-long trials as a patchwork NFL line might.

Projected as a day-two pick, could find himself in almost any situation: As the future quarterback hope of a struggling franchise, or being groomed behind a veteran starter on a winning one. The best pass-protecting offensive lines from last season aren't exactly littered with clubs in need of a quarterback: The Denver Broncos, with Peyton Manning, and Detroit Lions, with Matthew Stafford, allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL.

And most among the top ten in that category have a well-established quarterback already.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread

Broadway Joe sees potential for QB AJ McCarron

By Chase Goodbread

From one former Alabama quarterback to another, it's not surprising that "Broadway" Joe Namath likes what he sees from the Crimson Tide's latest pro quarterback prospect, AJ McCarron.

" It's a team game," Namath said. "If AJ gets with some guys that could allow him to do his best, too â offensive line to start with. If AJ gets a team that doesn't have the kind of blocking he needs, he's going to struggle. I'm first hoping that he gets with a quality group of people and teachers and AJ will be fine."

To some extent, of course, Namath's logic applies to every rookie quarterback.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread
So if he lands on a good team, with good players around him and good coaches, he will succeed. Got it Broadway Joe. I hope that plan doesn't get out to the rest of the NFL.

AJ is a putz with a weak arm and one SEC championship to his name and he'll be blessed to have the career that Curtis Painter has/had. If he goes in the first three rounds, some team is making a monumental mistake.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested on SportsCenter Thursday that Alabama QB A.J. McCarron could surprise as a late first- or early second-round pick.
"I know one team that loves him as a possible late first-, early second-rounder," were Mort's words. McCarron lacks a power arm and is short on athleticism, but has big hands and stands over 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds. Despite his limitations, some NFL teams may believe they can win with him if they already have a strong running game and defense in place. He's supporting cast-dependent.

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB

Mayock: McCarron is going to be 2nd or 3rd round pick. That's probably where he belongs.

Signs point to Alabama's AJ McCarron sliding in NFL draft

By Bryan Fischer

Former Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron helped lead his team to two national championships and is the most productive passer in Crimson Tide history, but that doesn't guarantee him a spot in the early rounds of the 2014 NFL Draft. After seeing his draft stock float from the middle rounds to as high as the 16th overall selection, at least according to McCarron, and back, he's expected to go on the second day (Rounds 2-3) of the draft.

While it's possible McCarron will be drafted earlier than expected, NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah reported Thursday on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" that he has not been hearing much buzz about the quarterback and cautions a slide down the board could happen.

"I heard a while back, maybe the Arizona Cardinals at No. 20, but I haven't heard that as much," Jeremiah said. "More than likely you're talking about later on in the second round, maybe in the third round. If I had to set a sweet spot for AJ McCarron, it would have to be in that early third-round mix.

"I did have one person tell me there's a very real chance McCarron could be this year's Matt Barkley, a guy we saw slide down in last year's draft."

Barkley slid to the 98th overall pick, where the Eagles traded up to pick him as the first selection of the fourth round.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound McCarron posted a 36-4 career record with Alabama, and while he doesn't have the strongest arm in the draft, he is an accurate passer who is an appealing choice for some franchises because of his familiarity with pro-style offenses.

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock recently dropped McCarron out of his top five at quarterback in his position rankings, and NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday on "Path to the Draft" that there's concern around the league about how McCarron will fare when things break down at the next level.

"One of the real questions for him is what is it like when he sees things go wrong? What is he like when there's trouble on the field?" Rapoport said. "He had such talent at Alabama. He really has not faced adversity very much on the field. The problem is how to solve that riddle in a private workout."

McCarron has tried to shake the "game-manager" label for several years and was busy over the past month making visits and working out for teams, including the quarterback-needy Cleveland Browns and Jacksonville Jaguars. His ability to start in the NFL earlier than some other rookies should be appealing to some clubs, but it all comes down to how he grades out and where they can take him in the draft.

The good news for McCarron is that the sometimes maddening pre-draft process is coming to a close and he'll be able to move on shortly to worrying about playing football once again.

Follow Bryan Fischer on Twitter @BryanDFischer.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Saturday that Alabama QB A.J. McCarron's "fall" to third day of the draft is at least partially due to McCarron rubbing executives "the wrong way" in pre-draft interviews.
McCarron is short on talent, so demonstrating leadership, accountability, and an appealing attitude is more crucial for him than other prospects. "During the interview process," Schefter stated, "a lot of executives across the league said they felt A.J. McCarron rubbed them the wrong way." Earlier this month, PFT reported "multiple scouts" were "befuddled" by McCarron's persistent public claims he'd be a first-round pick. He's now a fourth-rounder at best.
@MoveTheSticks: Jimmy Garoppolo took AJ McCarron's spot in the SR Bowl and he just got selected ahead of him.

Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE 38s

So @Bengals draft McCarron who is lacking arm talent when their current starting QB limits their offense due to lacking elite arm strength??
Don Banks ‏@DonBanks 1m

If you really wanted to challenge Andy Dalton in Cincy, you're not doing it by taking McCarron in the 5th round.

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@SandoESPN 2m

#Bengals taking a QB here makes sense. They will not pay Andy Dalton in that $18M+ range unless he suddenly becomes top QB.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 2m

AJ McCarron gets a good coach to work with in Hue Jackson, and a good team with offensive talent all over the place.

Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm 3m

Please let McCarron and Manziel face off twice at least once season. #bengals #browns

@AlbertBreer And here's a text from Bengals OC Hue Jackson on AJ McCarron: "He's a winner. Has all the QB traits you want."

Rotoworld:

Bengals selected Alabama QB A.J. McCarron with the No. 164 overall pick in the 2014 draft.
McCarron (6-foot-3 1/4, 220) made 40 starts for the Crimson Tide, posting a sterling 36-4 record, 77:15 TD-to-INT ratio, and 66.9 completion rate. He ran 4.94 at the Combine, but won't be a plus-yardage running threat in the pros. McCarron's strengths are his pro-style background, ideal build and hand size (10"), accuracy, and decision making. Widely considered a "game manager," McCarron lacks arm strength to drive the ball outside the numbers, and will likely be dependent on a top-notch supporting cast to have success as a starter. He's not going to supplant Andy Dalton this year or down the line.

AJ McCarron drafted by Cincinnati Bengals at No. 164By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

NEW YORK -- AJ McCarron's tumble down the draft board has ended in Round 5.

The Cincinnati Bengals selected the Alabama quarterback with the 164th overall pick on Saturday at Radio City Music Hall.

McCarron -- a two-time national champion -- joins a Bengals quarterback group that includes starter Andy Dalton, Jason Campbell and Josh Johnson.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported earlier Saturday that team executives were left with questions about McCarron's personality after a series of pre-draft visits. According to Rapoport, teams wondered how McCarron would handle adversity and if he was liked by teammates. His decision to skip the Senior Bowl in his hometown was also questioned, as was the reality show McCarron stars in with fiancée Katherine Webb.

McCarron was a consistent winner at Alabama who played in a pro-style system under Nick Saban. His physical limitations are well-documented, but he has large hands and good size at 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds.

This is a drop that has to sting for McCarron, especially after he publicly stated his belief he'd go anywhere between No. 16 and 35 overall. That said, this isn't a bad landing spot, especially with uncertainty around Andy Dalton's long-term future in Cincy.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Users who are viewing this thread