What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Politics and War in Ukraine (1 Viewer)

To the feckless West this Ukrainian crisis is sudden. Putin on the other hand has been planning for it for years and has necessary contingency plans at the ready. With an impotent US president and toothless EU as his only opposition, this is a lock for a Russian invasion. It appears from the propaganda being put out (i.e. "liberation", protecting the East from murderous right wing fascists) there will be some level of a straight-up invasion by Russia.

I hate being right about tragedy, but with Obama as CinC and his numerous geopolitical blunders in Libya, Syria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, etc. already on the books it's easy guessing correctly. Who on earth could possibly believe anything the man says? "Don't cross red lines?" "Respect territorial integrity?" Obama has proven to be a liar and opportunist at every turn and utterly ineffective abroad. I cannot think of anything selfless or noble that this President has done. Moreover, he lacks any kind of personal moral courage. He wouldn't risk a toenail to save one of his daughters, much less help a nation of millions of evil, colonialist, Europeans. The man is a narcissistic coward as are a great many Americans these days. He could care less how many people die wherever, as long as his family and entourage are hooked in the US Treasury IV to keep the Obama/Democrat entitlement stash going.

The only thing that saves the Ukraine is the Ukrainian people going to the mat, IED's, suicide vests, and every man, woman, and child with a rifle, and taking the fight to Russia. Not that it is our direct fight. Our major military goal should be getting our troops out of Afghanistan alive with as much equipment as possible. Our forces are functionally surrounded, and a major part of the surrounding force is Russian. The only remaining course of action for the former Warsaw Pact countries and former Soviet republics who wish to remain independent is to arm up big time. And that includes such WMD's as they can acquire from any source.

2014 is the Year of Consequences, when the vultures come home to roost.
Early candidate for worst post of the year, and possibly, given the seriousness of events, worst post I have ever read in this forum.
Really? You are saying this? That's a rich one.

I will add that Putin openly expressed his contempt for George Bush as an overly aggressive cowboy buffoon. Bush was criticized here for provoking Putin.

Well it turns out that Putin openly expresses contempt for Obama as a weak, feckless joke. Obama is criticized here for encouraging Putin.

And in the end what's really happening is Putin is jerking us all around like some sociopath - guess what, whatever you do he will seek to make you at fault and he be the victim and he will always always always take advantage. He's just a political opportunist and that's all there is to it.
But we can still blame Obama, right?

I will add that Putin openly expressed his contempt for George Bush as an overly aggressive cowboy buffoon. Bush was criticized here for provoking Putin.

Well it turns out that Putin openly expresses contempt for Obama as a weak, feckless joke. Obama is criticized here for encouraging Putin.

And in the end what's really happening is Putin is jerking us all around like some sociopath - guess what, whatever you do he will seek to make you at fault and he be the victim and he will always always always take advantage. He's just a political opportunist and that's all there is to it.
I'm not feeling a whole lot of confidence in our guy right now - he comes out with a statement warning of "costs" and boom immediate in your face finger from Putin.

To the feckless West this Ukrainian crisis is sudden. Putin on the other hand has been planning for it for years and has necessary contingency plans at the ready. With an impotent US president and toothless EU as his only opposition, this is a lock for a Russian invasion. It appears from the propaganda being put out (i.e. "liberation", protecting the East from murderous right wing fascists) there will be some level of a straight-up invasion by Russia.

I hate being right about tragedy, but with Obama as CinC and his numerous geopolitical blunders in Libya, Syria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, etc. already on the books it's easy guessing correctly. Who on earth could possibly believe anything the man says? "Don't cross red lines?" "Respect territorial integrity?" Obama has proven to be a liar and opportunist at every turn and utterly ineffective abroad. I cannot think of anything selfless or noble that this President has done. Moreover, he lacks any kind of personal moral courage. He wouldn't risk a toenail to save one of his daughters, much less help a nation of millions of evil, colonialist, Europeans. The man is a narcissistic coward as are a great many Americans these days. He could care less how many people die wherever, as long as his family and entourage are hooked in the US Treasury IV to keep the Obama/Democrat entitlement stash going.

The only thing that saves the Ukraine is the Ukrainian people going to the mat, IED's, suicide vests, and every man, woman, and child with a rifle, and taking the fight to Russia. Not that it is our direct fight. Our major military goal should be getting our troops out of Afghanistan alive with as much equipment as possible. Our forces are functionally surrounded, and a major part of the surrounding force is Russian. The only remaining course of action for the former Warsaw Pact countries and former Soviet republics who wish to remain independent is to arm up big time. And that includes such WMD's as they can acquire from any source.

:lmao:

No president is ever going to get the US into another altercation with Russia. It's unwinnable and impossible to finance. Bashing on Obama for it is absurd. Neither Bush would do it, Reagan wouldn't do it, Eisenhower and Truman wouldn't do it, none of them would do it if they were president now.

You and your ilk still will, despite the fact that any of your glorious right wingers would do the exact same thing and you'd defend them til you were blue in the face. Maybe pre-Iraqs we would have something to stand on, but the way we've conducted our military the last 25 years, we have absolutely ZERO standing to tell another country what not to do with respect to sovereign borders.

If there was major destabilization at our northern or southern border, we would be involved, why expect anything different from Russia? Lets not start framing action or inaction by our president as anything politically meaningful to us.. I know there will be idiots out there trumpeting their partisan propaganda, and we will hear much of these situations in upcoming elections, but the reality is, we have no business over there. Why waste our tax dollars and potentially the lives of our soldiers for something that is of no consequence to us?

Early candidate for worst post of the year, and possibly, given the seriousness of events, worst post I have ever read in this forum.
You don't read much of your own stuff evidently...
Not enough :lmao: to go around!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, time to start leading from behind again. Who's out front?

:crickets:

LOL at Putin trading off the Crimea for backing out of Syria. Why should he give up anything? Obama won't follow through.

Hell, we'll be lucky in we can keep Alaska at the rate this is going.
Would that make Palin Russian?

I'd take that trade. Then she really could see Russia out her back porch.

You and your ilk still will, despite the fact that any of your glorious right wingers would do the exact same thing and you'd defend them til you were blue in the face. Maybe pre-Iraqs we would have something to stand on, but the way we've conducted our military the last 25 years, we have absolutely ZERO standing to tell another country what not to do with respect to sovereign borders.
I have to say, I'm not really thrilled by the idea of McCain in this situation either. McCain has advocated sending naval presence over there. That IMO would be a horrible move.

I have to say, I'm not really thrilled by the idea of McCain in this situation either. McCain has advocated sending naval presence over there. That IMO would be a horrible move.
It's 100% no win for us. What's worse, a president that says a few unenforceable "line crossing" statements or one who sends in a few impotent and unusable military pieces as empty rhetoric?

It's 100% no win for us. What's worse, a president that says a few unenforceable "line crossing" statements or one who sends in a few impotent and unusable military pieces as empty rhetoric?
Both are dangerous, but right here right now at this moment I will take the Obama approach over McCain's.

Bucky86 said:
Slapdash said:
Scoresman said:
Time to see if Obama's balls are anywhere near as big as Kennedy's were.
Its this way of thinking that leaves humanity constantly wasting money butchering each other.
:goodposting: Easy for these ####### armchair generals to want to blow #### up.
It's pointless to even listen to the right anymore while Obama is in there. When he's talking tough they say he's all talk, if he takes military action they'll say he's reckless and arrogant. They're actually waiting to see what he does to figure out how to complain.
:bs:

Uhmmm....Syria? Libya? Iran? Hello? Does that sound familiar? The problem with Obama is that he has a track record of making promises he won't keep. Putin knows this. Everyone is justified in raking him over the coals for making empty threats again. It makes us look weak.
What president in your lifetime took the approach of complete silence then instant war?

The US always goes through these steps: statements of concern, diplomacy, sanctions, intervention. Depending on the situation they stop after any of those steps.

Obama does the same thing. You just hate when he does it because of your bias.

Obama has been, and remains, probably the best foreign policy President since Nixon, with Clinton a close second.

Critics of Obama in this situation: please state a SPECIFIC action or statement you believe he should be taking, and why.

Gawain said:
If Obama and Western Europe really wanted to head this off, they'd offer Ukraine NATO membership tomorrow. The last president turned it down, but the current one wouldn't.
If the US offered Ukraine membership to NATO tomorrow, that would start WWIII.The last president of Ukraine was not offered NATO membership.
huh?
You know being a member of NATO requires you to aid other NaTO nations when attacked. Ukraine is being invaded and if they were a member of NaTO that would be NATO vs invading Nation ( Russia ) Exactly what everyone envisioned WWIII to be the last 8 decades.
Ukraine/Nato would deter a Russian invasion..
I

[SIZE=10.5pt]If today NATO announced an immediate membership of Ukraine, the Russians would attack the Ukraine faster than you can say, "man was I wrong"[/SIZE]

Gawain said:
If Obama and Western Europe really wanted to head this off, they'd offer Ukraine NATO membership tomorrow. The last president turned it down, but the current one wouldn't.
If the US offered Ukraine membership to NATO tomorrow, that would start WWIII.The last president of Ukraine was not offered NATO membership.
huh?
You know being a member of NATO requires you to aid other NaTO nations when attacked. Ukraine is being invaded and if they were a member of NaTO that would be NATO vs invading Nation ( Russia ) Exactly what everyone envisioned WWIII to be the last 8 decades.
Ukraine/Nato would deter a Russian invasion..
If today NATO announced immdiate membership of Ukraine, the Russians would attck the Ukraine faster than you can say, "man was I wrong"
Doubtful. That phrase doesn't exist in CH's vernacular. Run away does, though.

He should just ####. Stop making threats, red lines, you can keep your doctor, etc. He has 0 credibility here and abroad.
What threat to the Russians did Obama make that is bothering you?

:lmao:

No president is ever going to get the US into another altercation with Russia. It's unwinnable and impossible to finance. Bashing on Obama for it is absurd. Neither Bush would do it, Reagan wouldn't do it, Eisenhower and Truman wouldn't do it, none of them would do it if they were president now.
In a speech written by Condi Rice, George HW Bush sided with the Russians over Ukraine’s independence.

Definitely a front runner but I wouldn't put it among the all time worsts.
Yeah, TPW is a predicable bore. He's Gekko without the charm, which is pretty sad.

Yeah, TPW is a predicable bore. He's Gekko without the charm, which is pretty sad.
Gekko has charm?

Gekko has charm?
Exactly.

Awesome :lmao:

If there was major destabilization at our northern or southern border, we would be involved, why expect anything different from Russia? Lets not start framing action or inaction by our president as anything politically meaningful to us.. I know there will be idiots out there trumpeting their partisan propaganda, and we will hear much of these situations in upcoming elections, but the reality is, we have no business over there. Why waste our tax dollars and potentially the lives of our soldiers for something that is of no consequence to us?

Dear god... I just liked a Sweeney post

Good thing we are not reducing the size of our military.
The Russian military is to our military what the Western Athletic Conference is to the NBA.
I'm going to disagree with you here - they do things differently but the reality is no US/Russia military interface with Russia ends in anything else except horrible disastrous losses and international mayhem.
What are you disagreeing with exactly? Russia basically has a 1970s military infrastructure, ours is infinitely superior in every way. Whether some war with them would end in calamity is another matter altogether.

Gekko has charm?
Exactly.
:shrug: news to me

Dear god... I just liked a Sweeney post
One sees humanity at its best and at its worst in times of crisis.

This is just fantastic. Love it.

Obama has been, and remains, probably the best foreign policy President since Nixon, with Clinton a close second.

Critics of Obama in this situation: please state a SPECIFIC action or statement you believe he should be taking, and why.
Post of the year.

It's 2014 - are UN members still wearing those big honking things on their ears? They can't spring for ear buds?

I have an idea... why not have Obama do what Bush did when Putin invaded Georgia six years ago?

I'm sure it would teach Putin such a lesson that he'd never consider invading another country again.

“What can we do?” asked Fiona Hill, a Brookings Institution scholar who was the government’s top intelligence officer on Russia during the Georgia war when Mr. Putin deflected Western agitation. “We’ll talk about sanctions. We’ll talk about red lines. We’ll basically drive ourselves into a frenzy. And he’ll stand back and just watch it. He just knows that none of the rest of us want a war.”

James F. Jeffrey was Mr. Bush’s deputy national security adviser in August 2008 and the first to inform him that Russian troops were moving into Georgia in response to what the Kremlin called Georgian aggression against South Ossetia. As it happened, the clash also took place at Olympic time; Mr. Bush and Mr. Putin were both in Beijing for the Summer Games.

Mr. Bush confronted Mr. Putin to no avail and then ordered American ships to the region and provided a military transport to return home Georgian troops on duty in Iraq. He sent humanitarian aid on a military aircraft, assuming that Russia would be loath to attack the capital of Tbilisi with American military personnel present. Mr. Bush also suspended a pending civilian nuclear agreement, and NATO suspended military contacts.

“We did a lot but in the end there was not that much that you could do,” Mr. Jeffrey recalled.

Inside the Bush administration, there was discussion of more robust action, like bombing the Roki Tunnel to block Russian troops or providing Georgia with Stinger antiaircraft missiles. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice bristled at what she called the “chest beating,” and the national security adviser, Stephen J. Hadley, urged the president to poll his team to see if anyone actually recommended putting American troops on the ground.

None did, and Mr. Bush was not willing to risk further escalation.

I have an idea... why not have Obama do what Bush did when Putin invaded Georgia six years ago?

I'm sure it would teach Putin such a lesson that he'd never consider invading another country again.
Nah. It seems wagging your finger and saying, "you're gonna' be in trouble if you do it" seems to be working out well enough.

Nah. It seems wagging your finger and saying, "you're gonna' be in trouble if you do it" seems to be working out well enough.
Thanks Max. You made my day there.
Hey, man, no problem. Glad I could bring some happiness to you today. :thumbup:

Bucky86 said:
Slapdash said:
Scoresman said:
Its this way of thinking that leaves humanity constantly wasting money butchering each other.
:goodposting:

Easy for these ####### armchair generals to want to blow #### up.
It's pointless to even listen to the right anymore while Obama is in there. When he's talking tough they say he's all talk, if he takes military action they'll say he's reckless and arrogant. They're actually waiting to see what he does to figure out how to complain.

Uhmmm....Syria? Libya? Iran? Hello? Does that sound familiar? The problem with Obama is that he has a track record of making promises he won't keep. Putin knows this. Everyone is justified in raking him over the coals for making empty threats again. It makes us look weak.
I look forward to you showing up at your local Army Recruiting Office first thing Monday morning, since you think it's "us".

Bucky86 said:
Slapdash said:
Scoresman said:

I look forward to you showing up at your local Army Recruiting Office first thing Monday morning, since you think it's "us".
Been there, done that. I did my time in the 1st Iraq War with the Marines.

How about you? When did you do your service? Maybe we can get together over a few beers and reminisce about the old days?

Bucky86 said:
Slapdash said:
Scoresman said:

Been there, done that. I did my time in the 1st Iraq War with the Marines.

How about you? When did you do your service? Maybe we can get together over a few beers and reminisce about the old days?
1974 - 1997 and my son was in Iraq and Afghanistan. Both these things make me extremely weary of saber rattlers, almost all of whom have no clue and think war is something for their entertainment on CNN. It should always be a last resort when everything else is exhausted and furthermore, there should then be a mandatory draft for national service, no exceptions.

Users who are viewing this thread