What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't sleep on Donte Moncrief: Draft Day steal (1 Viewer)

I'm just saying... Vance isn't special. I'll bet anything he doesn't end up being 2nd in targets. 
He isn't special but he's a pretty athletic and can be a mismatch.

I wouldn't bet on him being 2nd in targets but it wouldn't shock me if after JuJu, there isn't much differential in the targets between McDonald, Conner, Washington and Moncrief. 

I'm just saying... Vance isn't special. I'll bet anything he doesn't end up being 2nd in targets. 
TE #11 in my league last year on 72 targets.  And he was obviously 3rd or 4th in line.  Ben is familiar with him and Vance appears to be Ben’s security blanket.  I could easily see him with over 100 targets in 2019. 

TE #11 in my league last year on 72 targets.  And he was obviously 3rd or 4th in line.  Ben is familiar with him and Vance appears to be Ben’s security blanket.  I could easily see him with over 100 targets in 2019. 
That was due to injuries to other TEs. He was TE16 in points per game. But AB's departure creates a 169 target void, so I wouldn't rule out 100 for the TE. I just think the WR2 in PIT could be a fantasy WR2 due to all those targets. The hard part will be predicting which guy gets the job. 

McDonald would have to stay healthy for 16 games to get that many targets.  Same with Big Ben.  Just don't see that happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
72 targets in 11 or so games, with AB getting his. Assuming health, 100 targets in 2019 easy. 

Not sure I would call that an advantage.  Their chemistry was terrible.  I can easily see Moncrief out performing Washington as much as it pains me to say that.  I have Washington in several leagues and Moncrief in none.
Bigben is a dbag to everyone...of course he would be hard on a rookie....

I don't know how Moncrief pans out but I think he is definitely intriguing.  One thing is for sure, Ben isn't suddenly going to stop throwing.   We know that JuJu is going to get his targets, but it is a good bet that someone else is going to get a ton of targets too.

That was due to injuries to other TEs. He was TE16 in points per game. But AB's departure creates a 169 target void, so I wouldn't rule out 100 for the TE. I just think the WR2 in PIT could be a fantasy WR2 due to all those targets. The hard part will be predicting which guy gets the job. 

I don't know how Moncrief pans out but I think he is definitely intriguing.  One thing is for sure, Ben isn't suddenly going to stop throwing.   We know that JuJu is going to get his targets, but it is a good bet that someone else is going to get a ton of targets too.
Over his past six seasons, Ben has averaged 612 attempts per 16 games played.  That's over 60 less than last year.  I think it's far more likely that he throws near this amount than the astronomical number that he did last season.

That still leaves about 100 targets to get redistributed, probably 15-20 of those go to Juju, maybe 10 or so more to the TE group to get them to ~100.  That leaves 60-80 targets (depending on how you want to project) for Moncrief and Washington to fight over.

I still think the Steelers draft another WR in the top 3 rounds, it's only a 2-year deal. So Moncrief should see an uptick from last year, but he still won't be super relevant. 

I still think the Steelers draft another WR in the top 3 rounds, it's only a 2-year deal. So Moncrief should see an uptick from last year, but he still won't be super relevant. 
I think it depends on how Washington develops.  If he doesn't take a major leap forward, I expect Moncrief to put up WR3 numbers.

tangfoot said:
Over his past six seasons, Ben has averaged 612 attempts per 16 games played.  That's over 60 less than last year.  I think it's far more likely that he throws near this amount than the astronomical number that he did last season.

That still leaves about 100 targets to get redistributed, probably 15-20 of those go to Juju, maybe 10 or so more to the TE group to get them to ~100.  That leaves 60-80 targets (depending on how you want to project) for Moncrief and Washington to fight over.
Nah, Juju is not going to get 180-185 targets. Last year, it went 169 (15g), 166, 44, 38. I agree with you that 675 PA is unlikely to happen again. 600-625 is more realistic. I think the WR2 in that offense gets 120+ targets unless a WR2/WR2a situation unfolds. I'm guessing we'll see something more like 150-120-60-50. 

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly writes Donte Moncrief "looks like a slam-dunk No. 2" receiver.

After watching the free-agent addition in the spring, Kaboly believes Moncrief "easily looks like a 50- or 60-catch guy with five or six touchdowns." The receiver also earned praise from Ben Roethlisberger, who talked up Moncrief's work ethic and knowledge of the offense. It is still possible James Washington or Diontae Johnson make their case in camp, but things are looking good for Moncrief right now, making him a nice value pick in the double-digit rounds.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 18, 2019, 8:53 AM ET

Steelers WRs coach Daryl Drake praised Donte Moncrief for how quickly he's picked up the offense.

"He’s been able to distinguish the differences and go out there and do things that makes my job a lot easier because he has a feel for the position," said Drake, who added that Moncrief is playing with "a lot of confidence." The former Jaguar has already formed a strong rapport with Ben Roethlisberger and appears to be in line for the No. 2 receiver role in Pittsburgh. Though far from a sure thing, Moncrief makes plenty of sense as a late-round flyer in fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: PennLive.com

Jun 30, 2019, 11:41 AM ET

Donte Moncrief opened Steelers camp as the starting receiver opposite JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Moncrief was one of the offseason's biggest hype pieces around the league, and the buzz isn't quieting as teams kick off training camp. Moncrief appears to be ahead of sophomore James Washington to be an every-down wideout as Pittsburgh tries to replace Antonio Brown. Moncrief has been flying up fantasy boards all summer with him now creeping into the middle rounds of drafts. The Steelers have the fifth-most targets and third-most air yards vacated from last season and led the league in pass attempts in 2018.

SOURCE: Alex Kozora on Twitter

Jul 27, 2019, 1:47 PM ET

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports Steelers WR Donte Moncrief "sounds like the front-runner" for a starting role opposite JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Moncrief opened camp as the team's starter opposite Smith-Schuster and it's stayed that way despite rookie Diontae Johnson's flashes before suffering a groin injury Monday. Moncrief's job appears more than safe, with Johnson battling James Washington for a role in three-wide sets. The Steelers have the sixth-most targets (226) and third-most air yards (2,485) up for grabs from last season's production, making Moncrief an easy buy at his current 11th-round ADP.

SOURCE: Dan Graziano on Twitter

Aug 7, 2019, 8:56 PM ET

Donte Moncrief (finger) returned to practice on Wednesday.

He hadn't practiced in six days while nursing a broken ring finger. Moncrief has practiced fully just three times over the course of training camp but impressed in his return Wednesday (the Steelers had been off the previous two days following the death of WRs coach Darryl Drake), pulling in three touchdown passes from Ben Roethlisberger. Despite an eye-opening performance by James Washington in last week's preseason opener, Moncrief remains the favorite for No. 2 duties in Pittsburgh behind go-to target JuJu Smith-Schuster.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 15, 2019, 12:06 PM ET

Brad Evans @YahooNoise

Seems the fantasy community is split down the middle over James Washington and Donte Moncrief. Proof of value potential was on display last night. Moncrief is the cemented WR2 with the first team. Washington has made big plays, but with his college QB. Give me all the DM shares.

Donte Moncrief dropped his only target in the Steelers' Week 2 loss to the Seahawks.

He played just 18 snaps and was benched after a third-down drop popped off his hands and into a waiting Seahawks defender's arms for an interception. This comes a week after Moncrief turned 10 targets into three catches for seven yards and four drops Week 1 against the Patriots. Moncrief may be a healthy scratch come Week 3 and can be cut in all redraft formats.
Unless Mason Rudolph likes him it might be time to drop him...

If he isn't cut tomorrow, something is seriously wrong.  But wait, it is tomlin we are talking about so I'm sure he'll be starting next week.

Key takeaways and stats to know from Week 2

Excerpt:

DONTE MONCRIEF IS RUNNING OUT OF SECOND CHANCES

Moncrief is only two regular-season games into his Steelers career, but over those two games, he has earned the lowest and third-lowest single-game grades of his career. He is the lowest graded wide receiver through two weeks of the 2019 season (43.3), and his 0.13 yards per route run are also the lowest in the NFL. One of the poster boys for “high upside” in recent years, Moncrief didn’t see the field again after a pass from Mason Rudolph went through his hands only to bounce off his head and into the hands of a Seahawks defender in Week 2.

Speaking Thursday, Steelers OC Randy Fichtner criticized Donte Moncrief's pass catching so far this season.

"I had a coach a long time ago say you have to put the word receive into receiver," was Fichtner's brutal assessment. Moncrief was probably the worst receiver in football through the season's first two weeks. He has since been benched for James Washington. Especially with Ben Roethlisberger on the shelf, Moncrief is safely droppable.

SOURCE: Mark Kaboly on Twitter

Sep 19, 2019, 3:06 PM ET

Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly

#Steelers WR Donte Moncrief officially demoted from starter to 3rd string behind James Washington and Johnny Holton. Steelers signed Moncrief to 2-year, $9 million free-agent deal in March. He was benched and did not dress last week after 5 drops in 11 targets. @TheAthleticPGH

Users who are viewing this thread