What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I own a brewery: Cambria Beer Co. (2 Viewers)

Inhiding

Footballguy
The wife and I own a small craft brewery on the Central Coast of California in Cambria, near Hearst Castle and the emerging wine region of Paso Robles. We are approaching our 2nd year in business and we can't brew enough beer to keep up with demand so far. We are expanding our production from 3 barrels a week to 6 barrels and then to 12 in about 3 months from now. We are producing 5 house beers (IPA, Pale, Amber, Stout and a Porter) with a brewers choice rotating in and out as needed.

Ask me anything about hte brewing process and what it is like to live every man's dream.

How are you distributing? Do you feel that the craft brewing industry is becoming too competitive? Are most of your sales local, regional or national?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys live in Cambria? I live in Atascadero (work in SLO). One of the guys at work is co-owner of Creekside Brewery in SLO. Were you involved with the SLO Craft Beer Fest this weekend?

This pretty popular out there? I know a woman who owns her own craft beer store...

Did you have any previous experience? How much in start up costs? New or used equipment?

Awesome!

You are definitely living a very cool dream.

1. How large do you ultimately hope to get?... what would that translate to in terms of revenue per year and value of the business?

2. Have you thought about canning yet?... at what size does canning become feasible?... what would be your incentive to start using cans?

3. Do you choose what styles to brew based on what you like brewing and/or are good at, or on what the public most wants?

Sweet!

You should ship me some here in Florida and I will let you know if you should think about distributing here at some point. No sense in considering it until you get the opinion of a local.

How are you distributing? Do you feel that the craft brewing industry is becoming too competitive? Are most of your sales local, regional or national?
We sell only in the tap room right now with growlers to go. 22 ounce bombers on the way soon. No kegs either. Why sell wholesale when i make full retail on everything i brew?

Do you guys live in Cambria? I live in Atascadero (work in SLO). One of the guys at work is co-owner of Creekside Brewery in SLO. Were you involved with the SLO Craft Beer Fest this weekend?
Yes we live in town. I know both owners of Creekside (E&J). We were not involved with SLO Craft Beer Fest. We sell everything out in house. Unless a festival wants to buy my beer why would I want to give it away? In fact we may never particiapte in a festival, ie drunk fest, unless they purchase our beer. My beer is too good to give away, at least my customers tell me that.

Did you have any previous experience? How much in start up costs? New or used equipment?
Homebrewed for 15 years, read a lot, asked a lot of questions. Start up was under 80K for everything, a mix of new and used equipment and the cost of the build out too.

I would be interested in ordering some to help out a fellow FBG with his business. Well...and because I love beer too. I went to your website but did not see any way to do so.

Also, is there a discount for FBG member's? :)

anything on tap in Paso Robles?
Not yet, but soon. Maybe at Pappy McGregors. You live in Paso? If so come on over March 22nd and enjoy our anniversary party. Our once a year beer, ala Pliney the Younger, comes out. A Triple IPA, COMATOSE, is 11% and 125 IBUs. Extremely drinkable! Food truck, musicians, and good beer

Awesome!

You are definitely living a very cool dream.

1. How large do you ultimately hope to get?... what would that translate to in terms of revenue per year and value of the business?

2. Have you thought about canning yet?... at what size does canning become feasible?... what would be your incentive to start using cans?

3. Do you choose what styles to brew based on what you like brewing and/or are good at, or on what the public most wants?
1) Not quite a regional sized brewery, but something that supplies the town consistently with the 5 house beers and then some more. I see us right around a 10 barrel system (we are 3 bbl right now) and maybe 1.5 mil a year in gross sales

Do you need any professional beer tasters?
I have plenty right now and they pay me. If you are in the area let me know.

Sweet!

You should ship me some here in Florida and I will let you know if you should think about distributing here at some point. No sense in considering it until you get the opinion of a local.
Have to get label approval in FLA before i did that, or someone local could buy you some and ship it to you.

Hope to stop by next time I'm in the area.

:beerhole:
Let me know if you do!

http://cambriabeerco.com/

https://www.facebook.com/CambriaBeerCompany

That oughtta get you a little traffic to your site....also, Id love a pint glass with your logo...any plans on selling them online? Or merchandise in general?

:thumbup:
thanks, forgot to link it in! doh! Wingut, send me your address and I will send you a glass when we get our next shipment in next week. thanks for posting links! and please like us on Facebook, it is easier to update that instead of our website.

I would be interested in ordering some to help out a fellow FBG with his business. Well...and because I love beer too. I went to your website but did not see any way to do so.

Send me an email to info@cambriabeer.com and I will send out pint glasses for $5 each. I'll cover the shipping. No shipping beer yet either... :(

That oughtta get you a little traffic to your site....also, Id love a pint glass with your logo...any plans on selling them online? Or merchandise in general?

thanks, forgot to link it in! doh! Wingut, send me your address and I will send you a glass when we get our next shipment in next week. thanks for posting links! and please like us on Facebook, it is easier to update that instead of our website.

Send me an email to info@cambriabeer.com and I will send out pint glasses for $5 each. I'll cover the shipping. No shipping beer yet either... :(
Sweet, let us know how to send you the $5 for the pint glass. Ill send my $5 as soon as you post a payment link or info :banned:

We sell only in the tap room right now with growlers to go. 22 ounce bombers on the way soon. No kegs either. Why sell wholesale when i make full retail on everything i brew?

Yes we live in town. I know both owners of Creekside (E&J). We were not involved with SLO Craft Beer Fest. We sell everything out in house. Unless a festival wants to buy my beer why would I want to give it away? In fact we may never particiapte in a festival, ie drunk fest, unless they purchase our beer. My beer is too good to give away, at least my customers tell me that.

Homebrewed for 15 years, read a lot, asked a lot of questions. Start up was under 80K for everything, a mix of new and used equipment and the cost of the build out too.
No offense and I wish you well in your venture, but I'd be careful about insulting your target market here, GB. Yes, some people can get over-served and act like fools, but by and large, I LOVE beer fests and am there to try new brews (like yours, if you ever decided to make it available) and enjoy a day outside. Calling that a drunk fest is short sighted and might alienate potential customers.

Email sent! Thanks!

Sweet, let us know how to send you the $5 for the pint glass. Ill send my $5 as soon as you post a payment link or info :banned:
One glass? That's it? You cheap SOB.

I'm buying 5 of them so that makes me better than you. 5x better, in fact. :)

Q: regarding the the Present Tense - are you using a commercial Brett strain, or fermenting in a wine barrel which already has it?

One glass? That's it? You cheap SOB.

I'm buying 5 of them so that makes me better than you. 5x better, in fact. :)
:lol: Alll of my pint glasses from breweries are singles...I don't have cupboard space for multiples...but thanks for making me feel inadequate.

:angry:

Nah, we cool. :hifive:

Send an email to info@cambriabeer.com and I will reply. No online sales yet, so most likely a money order will do.

I will send for the glass. Any coasters?
Coasters are included! probably 5 or 6 in each order

No offense and I wish you well in your venture, but I'd be careful about insulting your target market here, GB. Yes, some people can get over-served and act like fools, but by and large, I LOVE beer fests and am there to try new brews (like yours, if you ever decided to make it available) and enjoy a day outside. Calling that a drunk fest is short sighted and might alienate potential customers.
Yes I hear ya on the drunk fest. Proably speaking from our limited view of beer fests on the Central Coast. For so long we only had the California Festival of Beers (held in Avilia beach for a long time but since moved to the Madonna Inn property). That one is a drunk fest for sure. Frat boys lining up and asking which brewery is this, and what is your strongest beer. I tell them find another booth. Now the Firestone Walker Invitational is RAD! That is one that I would donate my beer too. Not a drunk fest, but more of a bunch of craft beer geeks who actually enjoy the beer, not just drinking to get drunk. It seems every charity and their brothers are starting beer fests and asking for hand outs.

Send an email to info@cambriabeer.com and I will reply. No online sales yet, so most likely a money order will do.

I will send for the glass. Any coasters?
Coasters are included! probably 5 or 6 in each order

Yes I hear ya on the drunk fest. Proably speaking from our limited view of beer fests on the Central Coast. For so long we only had the California Festival of Beers (held in Avilia beach for a long time but since moved to the Madonna Inn property). That one is a drunk fest for sure. Frat boys lining up and asking which brewery is this, and what is your strongest beer. I tell them find another booth. Now the Firestone Walker Invitational is RAD! That is one that I would donate my beer too. Not a drunk fest, but more of a bunch of craft beer geeks who actually enjoy the beer, not just drinking to get drunk. It seems every charity and their brothers are starting beer fests and asking for hand outs.
Stupid charities trying to raise money to help people. Some nerve they have.

Well, when you get big and start expanding into the Pacific Northwest, check out the North American Organic Brewers Festival. My favorite by far. Just a very laid back crowd, perfect setting, terrific craft beers. I'm not a hippie dippie organic guy by any stretch, but this festival is top notch. Much better than the giant one held every summer at Waterfront Park.

Q: regarding the the Present Tense - are you using a commercial Brett strain, or fermenting in a wine barrel which already has it?
I went with a strain that I have had for long time. Brett Anomolus. A low intensity brett strain originally found in english casks. Depends on who you subscribe to, wither Brett A is it own strain or it is related to Brett C. I get different ferments with either strain so I dont think they are too similiar. I am using the Brett A strain to sour up some stout to which I will add in some cherries and have a Sour Cherry Stout for next Valentines day.

I am looking to start a barrel program here soon as well, and once i get that going then I will have sours on a regular basis. Not too much of a bourbon barrel guy, but I have some ideas that will take a stout to the next level!

I'm going to try and make it up for the anniversary party, how close are you to the pines lodge?

Users who are viewing this thread