Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Carter_Can_Fly

Sammy Watkins the next Andre Johnson...

No need to today it seems, but I still have no clue why the Bills don't throw screens to him. He is so dangerous in the open field and did most of his damage in college in the screen game. And now in the NFL they don't use him at all in that capacity.

He is the ultimate all or nothing play in fantasy.

Ughh 8 targets in first half. 2 minutes left in game and they have him with 1 target (an over throw) in second half. Bills O was clicking playing through Watkins and has been less fluid second half. Just amazing how they can't continue to keep him involved more consistently.

• Like 1

In before one more good game earns him Hall of Fame consideration.

more like the next jerry rice

Its almost like Roman said, "Well, we got Sammy's 8 targets out of the way. NOW let's get back to Buffalo Ball!" Very happy they lost this one. What a complete mismanagement of weaponry. Eric Decker looked pretty good out there today.

• Like 2

I was only watching the RZ channel so I don't know what happened exactly but I'd guess they rolled a lot more coverage his way. This isn't a new thing.

Some stats on Watkins:

Sammy is 4th in the league in yards in the air per catch; Of those players, Sammy has the highest catch rate by 8 percentage points (63%). Further, you have to look to the 34th highest player on the YIA/R list to find someone with a catch rate as high as Sammy's. That man would be AJ Green, whose depth of reception is 10.4, almost 5 yards shy of Watkins. Its not particularly close. Nobody has been close to his mark for at least two years either. He is absolutely dominating the vertical game. However,Sammy is third last in the league in YAC per reception.

If you don't believe me, it's all right here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3uvv2o/some_interesting_number_on_sammy_watkins/

Edited by zeeshan2
  • Like 1

I was only watching the RZ channel so I don't know what happened exactly but I'd guess they rolled a lot more coverage his way. This isn't a new thing.

Great players have coverage rolled their way a lot. Qb's still throw them the ball though and let them be great. Taylor threw one to Watkins deep for a TD with the safety rolling over top. Watkins rewarded him with a great catch.

Taylor needs to continue to throw to Watkins: period. Watkins was and has rewarded him and the Bills when he is being utilized. There should be no excuse for not looking his way in the second half, especially with how well he was playing and the catches he was making. Embarrassing for Taylor and Roman.

Edited by Carter_Can_Fly

Some stats on Watkins:

Sammy is 4th in the league in yards in the air per catch; Of those players, Sammy has the highest catch rate by 8 percentage points (63%). Further, you have to look to the 34th highest player on the YIA/R list to find someone with a catch rate as high as Sammy's. That man would be AJ Green, whose depth of reception is 10.4, almost 5 yards shy of Watkins. Its not particularly close. Nobody has been close to his mark for at least two years either. He is absolutely dominating the vertical game. However,Sammy is third last in the league in YAC per reception.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3uvv2o/some_interesting_number_on_sammy_watkins/

Nice find

Him being at the bottom in YAC is a function of them not feeding him bubble screens and the like. If they start scheming ways to get him the ball quicker he's gonna dominate.

And please get a solid wr2 to take away some of the double coverage!

Edited by dipandglide

Some stats on Watkins:

Will Matuski and Milkman please comment on these findings? I can't seem to find Eric Decker anywhere near Sammy Watkins on this list. Thanks in advance.

Some stats on Watkins:

Will Matuski and Milkman please comment on these findings? I can't seem to find Eric Decker anywhere near Sammy Watkins on this list. Thanks in advance.
Watkins is trash. How do I know, you ask? Read it in these forums. Yup. He sucks. Nothing to see here.
  • Like 1

Some stats on Watkins:

Pretty quiet from the anti Watkins can't be elite side these days.

Some stats on Watkins:

I'm happy to have him if I suffer any injuries.

And he is a talented guy.

But his coach and his QB make him a risky every-week play.

Some stats on Watkins:

Yards in the air per catch. That is a new one on me. For whatever YIA/R is worth, good job Sammy. :shrug:

I guess when you get creative you can find a way to put Sammy on Decker's level. Otherwise there is no measure of production that you could make that argument. Sammy is no longer in Decker's tier. If he finishes strong and Decker fades, he might get back there. Decker is a top 20 WR this year on production.. Sammy is currently needing games like this weekend to get into the top 50 conversation.

If you are looking for someone to hate on Sammy, that isn't me.

If you want a dose of reality, I'm your guy.

Also - rack up another post trying to compare Sammy to a top WR in the league (AJ Green).

Some stats on Watkins:

Hope you aren't putting me in the anti Watkins camp.

I'm in the anti crowning players who haven't earned it camp. He hasn't. I'm all for more top tier players in the league, he isn't there yet. When he does I'll be high fiving with the rest of you.

But let me join you guys in crowning Sammy the NFL King of YIA/R, he deserves it. :thumbup:

Edited by matuski
  • Like 1

Some stats on Watkins:

Yards in the air per catch. That is a new one on me. For whatever YIA/R is worth, good job Sammy. :shrug:

I guess when you get creative you can find a way to put Sammy on Decker's level. Otherwise there is no measure of production that you could make that argument. Sammy is no longer in Decker's tier. If he finishes strong and Decker fades, he might get back there. Decker is a top 20 WR this year on production.. Sammy is currently needing games like this weekend to get into the top 50 conversation.

Also - rack up another post trying to compare Sammy to a top WR in the league (AJ Green).

Sammy is WR18 in points per game, in my non-PPR league.

Some stats on Watkins:

He is WR #39 in my league.

Not that any of this applies to an argument against Sammy being compared to the **flavor of the week Hall of Famer**.

Matsuki,

Do you play in any dynasty leagues?

In dynasty when you are evaluating guys coming into the league you have to look at skill, draft positions, measureables etc. I compared Watkins to having AJ like ability. Will he get there? Who knows. But from what I have seen he has the ability to dominate at the NFL level, now he needs to become more consistent in the game plan, get targets etc.

• Like 2

I have no idea what to do with this guy this week. Since I have 3 other good options and I just have to not get outscored by 48, I think I'll keep him on the bench because he has the greatest risk of putting up a real stinker. I'll probably start him in the playoffs only in games where I think I'm a dog.

Matsuki,

In dynasty when you are evaluating guys coming into the league you have to look at skill, draft positions, measureables etc. I compared Watkins to having AJ like ability. Will he get there? Who knows. But from what I have seen he has the ability to dominate at the NFL level, now he needs to become more consistent in the game plan, get targets etc.

And so far all of your "evaluating" couldn't be further off. He is in a serious fight to earn an Honorable Mention among his own draft class.

When/if he does more, I am all for recognizing it. I will be here to recognize it.

To add, again - he is on my fantasy team.... currently to my chagrin.

Matsuki,

And so far all of your "evaluating" couldn't be further off. He is in a serious fight to earn an Honorable Mention among his own draft class.

When/if he does more, I am all for recognizing it. I will be here to recognize it.

Answer the question. Do you play dynasty or redraft. If you say redraft, then your short sightedness is understandable. Nothing against you as a certified scout. But I think it makes all the difference on how we view players. Edited by georg013

Matsuki,

Answer the question. Do you play dynasty or redraft. If you say redraft, then your short sightedness is understandable. Nothing against you as a certified scout. But I think it makes all the difference on how we view players.

Both. Own him in both. Not sure I will own him in either in the near future.

I do see potential, I do like Watkins. I think he can be a good player both real and FF wise. I don't think he is the next AJ, Rice, Wayne, Julio.. or any other of the dozens of flat out studs some are trying to put him with.

My posting looks like hate only in the face of such unearned ridiculousness.

Some stats on Watkins:

Not that any of this applies to an argument against Sammy being compared to the **flavor of the week Hall of Famer**.

It applies to you saying he needs a good game this weekend to get into the top 50. Which is obviously inaccurate.

Matsuki,

Answer the question. Do you play dynasty or redraft. If you say redraft, then your short sightedness is understandable. Nothing against you as a certified scout. But I think it makes all the difference on how we view players.

Both. Own him in both. Not sure I will own him in either in the near future.

I do see potential, I do like Watkins. I think he can be a good player both real and FF wise. I don't think he is the next AJ, Rice, Wayne, Julio.. or any other of the dozens of flat out studs some are trying to put him with.

My posting looks like hate only in the face of such unearned ridiculousness.

Actually, it looks like hate when you get facts flat out wrong in an attempt to support your position.

Some stats on Watkins:

It applies to you saying he needs a good game this weekend to get into the top 50. Which is obviously inaccurate.

Again.. my argument is not fantasy based.

Some stats on Watkins:

But isn't this a fantasy football forum? Some people like Watkins and some don't. Both can find a lot of evidence to support their case. Can we just agree to disagree?

In real life he is the best offensive weapon on his team.

Prior to week 12 you could not have said this, as of now I agree with you. So is Anquan Boldin.

Baby steps. :thumbup:

Edited by matuski

Some stats on Watkins:

But isn't this a fantasy football forum? Some people like Watkins and some don't. Both can find a lot of evidence to support their case. Can we just agree to disagree?

Despite this being a fantasy forum, this thread has largely not been about that. This thread has been 95% hype that he has not (likely will never) live up to.

If you consider YIA/R (what is this again?) and your per game standard line to be "a lot" of evidence supporting Watkins comps to current and all time greats..... :shrug:

Also - if everybody agreed all the time this place would be worthless.

Some stats on Watkins:

Despite this being a fantasy forum, this thread has largely not been about that. This thread has been 95% hype that he has not (likely will never) live up to.

If you consider YIA/R (what is this again?) and your per game standard line to be "a lot" of evidence supporting Watkins comps to current and all time greats..... :shrug:

Also - if everybody agreed all the time this place would be worthless.

And if you consider inconsistency with different QBs, new coaches, injuries, etc. To be sufficient evidence the other way, then sure, go ahead. My point is that both sides are going to find plenty to argue about. The thing is, IMO, this thread is no longer productive discussion.

How about we focus on this week's game vs HOU?

Is the high ceiling Sammy going to show up? Or does he turn back into Mr. Inconsistency?

Houston is coming on like gangbusters on D.

Here's what other #1 WRs have done:

* AJ Green: 5-67

* TY Hilton: 5-88

* B. Marshall: 5 - 47 -1

* B. Cooks: 5 - 35

* J. Landry (slot guy): 5-83-2

* A. Robinson: 6-86-1

* J. Jones: 4-38

* M. Evans: 7-101

* J. Maclin: 5-52

Some duds in there but also some decent performances.

How about we focus on this week's game vs HOU?

Is the high ceiling Sammy going to show up? Or does he turn back into Mr. Inconsistency?

Houston is coming on like gangbusters on D.

Here's what other #1 WRs have done:

* AJ Green: 5-67

* TY Hilton: 5-88

* B. Marshall: 5 - 47 -1

* B. Cooks: 5 - 35

* J. Landry (slot guy): 5-83-2

* A. Robinson: 6-86-1

* J. Jones: 4-38

* M. Evans: 7-101

* J. Maclin: 5-52

Some duds in there but also some decent performances.

Last 3:

Green: 5-67

Marshall: 5-47-1

Cooks: 5-35

The Texans Secondary is playing very well. Joseph is having a good year, Jackson looked good in his return from injury last week, and the rookie Kevin Johnson could be a shutdown corner in a year or two. I think he should be in consideration for defensive ROY. All that to say, I have a hard time seeing Watkins going off for a huge game this week.

In addition, with JJ Watt, opposing QB's are not getting a whole lot of time to wait for the deep pass route to develop. This also could hurt Watkins performance this week. Taylor may not get sacked, but he will probably be forced to run sooner than he would like.

I dropped him last week and am still pretty confident that it was the right move. I don't want any part of him in the playoffs. He may do well, but I don't want the headache. I also just dropped Randall Cobb for the same reason.

Dumb? Maybe. Neither have contributed anything meaningful to my team this season anyway. Don't see them starting now.

I dropped him last week and am still pretty confident that it was the right move. I don't want any part of him in the playoffs. He may do well, but I don't want the headache. I also just dropped Randall Cobb for the same reason.

Dumb? Maybe. Neither have contributed anything meaningful to my team this season anyway. Don't see them starting now.

Just out of curiosity, who did you pick up in place of those two?

Admit it. You loathe Watkins with a burning passion. You're now rooting for him to fade into obscurity while you let out a demonic cackle. I never knew hate could run so deep until I read your comments.

Matsuki,

Lol my 'evaluating further off?'

Hmmm

Let me see

Andre Johnson draft position 1.03, 40 time 4.40, 39 inch vertical, weight 219 lbs, 6 foot 3 inches tall

Rookie year stats: 66 receptions, 976 yards and 4 td's. *Andre was 22 years of age in his rookie year.

Sammy Watkins draft position, 1.04, 40 time 4.43, 34 inch, 211 lbs, 6 foot 1 inches tall.

Rookie year stats: 65 catches, 982 yards, 6 tds. *Sammy Watkins was 21 years of age in his rookie year.

Look at the bolded which basically makes the 2 evaluations pretty darn equal. Johnson is 2 inches bigger and heavier, but to say I am wayyyyy off is absurd. In fact, Watkins had a slightly better rookie year than AJ.

So either you just hate Watkins, or you are so short sighted to not even compare the 2 and with what has transpired to date.

Edited by Carter_Can_Fly

Just out of curiosity, who did you pick up in place of those two?

A WR heavy team dropped Travis Benjamin so that's when I finally said enough is enough with Sammy. Travis won my week with that late long TD. Sammy would have done the same, but it's nice to see a guy I just grabbed and plugged in is capable of winning for me instead of making me crazy.

I dropped Cobb for Moncrief who has been on and off my team all season. Think he's going to have a nice game this week.

It's been a crazy season for me and I'm just done waiting on "studs" to produce.

For context (feel free to skip this sob story)

My top draft picks

1) CJ Anderson

2) Jeremy Hill

3) Cobb

4) Sammy Watkins

5) Arian Foster

6) Joseph Randle

The only players left on my team from my draft are now CJ and Hill, and I've dropped and repicked up CJ a few times now. It's a 10 team league. I'm 7th place in points scored, and I'm in 3rd place overall. How I'm in 3rd is beyond me.

Players I've lost due to BYE's, Injuries, and having to make room for players who could help immediately

1) Dion Lewis

2) Mcfadden

3) Ronnie Hillman

4) David Johnson

5) Charcandrick (? Plz go away Ware! ?)

I've been in the right place at the right time that scored me some really good pickups but have also had some drops that hurt, but ones that were necessary in order to get where I am now.

Bottom line, I made it this far without them, and I'm not about to jeopardize the season by having blind faith in these guys. Nope nope!

If you drop Sammy Watkins for freaking Travis Benjamin you definitely deserve to lose your league.

Lmao

If you drop Sammy Watkins for freaking Travis Benjamin you definitely deserve to lose your league.

Lmao

If it's redraft this couldn't be further from the truth. Benjamin has been massively more valuable this year.

Benjamin WR16 vs. Watkins WR42

Even if we use PPG Benjamin has been better.

Benjamin WR22 vs. Watkins WR26

Lmao

If it's redraft this couldn't be further from the truth. Benjamin has been massively more valuable this year.

PPG result is rounding error.

Lmao

In what way?

Lmao

I don't know about anyone else but when a guy is injured and not playing I go ahead and play a different guy.

Couldn't care less about ppg.

Still lmao

Lmao

I don't know about anyone else but when a guy is injured and not playing I go ahead and play a different guy.

Couldn't care less about ppg.

Still lmao

Sounds like you care a lot more about PPG based on your 1st statement. PPG is a more viable comparison because yeah, you have replacement value for games missed.

Either way you look at it your original point is rendered rather meaningless.

People don't like him because of his QB and his Coach, the exact same reasons I passed on Hopkins.

If anyone is lucky enough not to need to start him, well consider yourself WR rich.

Dez, Watkins, Amendola, Snead, Funchess, you think he's going to start for me?