What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (2 Viewers)

Matsuki,

Do you play in any dynasty leagues?

In dynasty when you are evaluating guys coming into the league you have to look at skill, draft positions, measureables etc. I compared Watkins to having AJ like ability. Will he get there? Who knows. But from what I have seen he has the ability to dominate at the NFL level, now he needs to become more consistent in the game plan, get targets etc.
And so far all of your "evaluating" couldn't be further off. He is in a serious fight to earn an Honorable Mention among his own draft class.

When/if he does more, I am all for recognizing it. I will be here to recognize it.

To add, again - he is on my fantasy team.... currently to my chagrin.
Answer the question. Do you play dynasty or redraft. If you say redraft, then your short sightedness is understandable. Nothing against you as a certified scout. But I think it makes all the difference on how we view players.
Both. Own him in both. Not sure I will own him in either in the near future.

I do see potential, I do like Watkins. I think he can be a good player both real and FF wise. I don't think he is the next AJ, Rice, Wayne, Julio.. or any other of the dozens of flat out studs some are trying to put him with.

My posting looks like hate only in the face of such unearned ridiculousness.
Why can't he become one the next great ones?

I was looking at wr ppr stats and saw that Sammy has scored 113.6 to Alshon Jeffery's 115.5 despite getting 22 less targets. Hell, Martavis has only 3.5 more points than Sammy and had 9 more targets. Sammy sure gets a lot of criticism compared to others. Its nice for the buyer's(believers)!

I was looking at wr ppr stats and saw that Sammy has scored 113.6 to Alshon Jeffery's 115.5 despite getting 22 less targets. Hell, Martavis has only 3.5 more points than Sammy and had 9 more targets. Sammy sure gets a lot of criticism compared to others. Its nice for the buyer's(believers)!
Nice post

Irrelevant. He simply isn't good in real life. Haven't you been reading this thread?

Irrelevant. He simply isn't good in real life. Haven't you been reading this thread?
He's awful. If I owned him I'd be selling for a late 1st or two 2nd's!

These stats are irrelevant, as season-long totals often are.

It's a weekly game.

It's a weekly game.
Dynasty is a weekly game? That's the first time I've heard that...

It's a weekly game.
I won week 5. Championship!

It's a weekly game.
I won week 5. Championship!
Booooooooooooooom!!! Onto the next championship week!

dipandglide said:
Jack White said:

It's a weekly game.
The post I quoted made no reference to dynasty. The stats in the post are obviously for this season.

As for Watkins this week, I'm not bullish on him as Houston has been playing stellar defense all around and especially against #1 WRs.

dipandglide said:
Jack White said:

It's a weekly game.
The post I quoted made no reference to dynasty. The stats in the post are obviously for this season.

As for Watkins this week, I'm not bullish on him as Houston has been playing stellar defense all around and especially against #1 WRs.
You said the stat(s) were irrelevant. A lot of people on these boards play dynasty(by far the better ffb format). So while you didn't mention dynasty, the stats are very relevant to those who care more about long term than short term.

I agree. Houston's defense is coming on.

dipandglide said:
Jack White said:

It's a weekly game.

You said the stat(s) were irrelevant. A lot of people on these boards play dynasty(by far the better ffb format). So while you didn't mention dynasty, the stats are very relevant to those who care more about long term than short term. I agree. Houston's defense is coming on.
Dynasty or not, PPG is still a more valuable and telling stat than a season long total. It has nothing to do with the format, when a guy doesn't play you can start someone else...so who cares what their totals are? You want to know who scores what, when they actually play.

104 yards on 3 catches and a TD
Sure wish I was playing Travis Benjamin today instead of Sammy. Lmao
Dont know what you are getting excited about. He only has 3 catches and 1 touchdown. Mike Evans would have twice that. Plus Houston really isnt that good if Sammy has 100 yards. Easy matchup. Sammy looks average and small today.
Yet somehow he out produced E Decker today.

My bad about Benjamin. He got injured and injured guys aren't able to score points, you know.

Unfair of me to bring him up.

I dropped him last week and am still pretty confident that it was the right move. I don't want any part of him in the playoffs. He may do well, but I don't want the headache. I also just dropped Randall Cobb for the same reason.

Dumb? Maybe. Neither have contributed anything meaningful to my team this season anyway. Don't see them starting now.
Just out of curiosity, who did you pick up in place of those two?
A WR heavy team dropped Travis Benjamin so that's when I finally said enough is enough with Sammy. Travis won my week with that late long TD. Sammy would have done the same, but it's nice to see a guy I just grabbed and plugged in is capable of winning for me instead of making me crazy.

I dropped Cobb for Moncrief who has been on and off my team all season. Think he's going to have a nice game this week.

It's been a crazy season for me and I'm just done waiting on "studs" to produce.

For context (feel free to skip this sob story)

My top draft picks

1) CJ Anderson

2) Jeremy Hill

3) Cobb

4) Sammy Watkins

5) Arian Foster

6) Joseph Randle

The only players left on my team from my draft are now CJ and Hill, and I've dropped and repicked up CJ a few times now. It's a 10 team league. I'm 7th place in points scored, and I'm in 3rd place overall. How I'm in 3rd is beyond me.

Players I've lost due to BYE's, Injuries, and having to make room for players who could help immediately

1) Dion Lewis

2) Mcfadden

3) Ronnie Hillman

4) David Johnson

5) Charcandrick (? Plz go away Ware! ?)

I've been in the right place at the right time that scored me some really good pickups but have also had some drops that hurt, but ones that were necessary in order to get where I am now.

Bottom line, I made it this far without them, and I'm not about to jeopardize the season by having blind faith in these guys. Nope nope!
Hell of a move.

It's baffling that they don't manufacture ways to get him the ball more. The fact that they don't throw screen passes to him is criminal.

At the same time, teams are doubling him with a safety over the top and the Bills just don' throw the ball a lot anyway. When you only throw 21 passes in a game, you're not typically going to see a receiver have 10+ targets very often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since returning from injury in week 9, Sammy Watkins has 45.4% of Buffalo’s receiving yards. He has just 26.3% of Buffalo’s targets.

Over that span, Tyrod Taylor averages 13.94 yards per attempt on passes to Sammy Watkins, and 5.99 yards per attempt on passes to everyone else.

Since returning from injury in week 9, Sammy Watkins has 45.4% of Buffalos receiving yards. He has just 26.3% of Buffalos targets.

Over that span, Tyrod Taylor averages 13.94 yards per attempt on passes to Sammy Watkins, and 5.99 yards per attempt on passes to everyone else.
So basically he sucks. As some might have it. Those are pedestrian numbers that Mike Evans would easily double with half the targets. Those crack heads over at PFF have fallen victim to fanboyism:11h11 hours ago

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF

Sammy Watkins (+8.1) has the 4th highest grade among WRs since Week 9. Starting to really cook on gas.

Dont they realize that the guys in this forum know better and Sammy sucks? If they didnt make an effort to get Sammy the ball four times per game he wouldnt have a +8.1 rating. Milkman and Handman say so...so Eric Decker is better.

Sammy Watkins has 53 targets to Mike Evans's 110. He has only 200 fewer yards and 3 more touchdowns in two fewer games. Yeah he sucks. 53 damn targets.

Watkins has really shown a lot the last two weeks. I benched him this past week for Amendola (which worked out). Sammy is the type of talent that I HATE to bench, but this just isn't his year. I know everyone is mad at the Bills for only targeting him 6 times in the last game, but that's silly. They only threw it 21 times, and by the way, they won the game.

This is a running team with a coach that isn't known for prolific passing games. I think Sammy continues to grow into the gameplan as long as he stays healthy. He has the talent to be a top 5 WR, but that won't happen this year, and unless some changes are made at QB or HC, it won't happen next year either.

But he's a special talent, that's obvious.

He has the talent to be a top 5 WR, but that won't happen this year, and unless some changes are made at QB or HC, it won't happen next year either.
Based on the way this season has gone, I would not expect changes to the QB or coaching. The only change I could see is if someone were to give Greg Roman a head coaching job. Tyrod is a near-lock to be the starting QB next season - though the Bills may draft one to compete with him - and there's zero chance Rex is gone after 1 year. I think most Bills fans would agree that the offense has far exceeded expectations and has not been the problem this season. The offense is 10th in total points, 17th in yards, 11th in yards/play, and tied for 8th in least-turnovers. Not exactly a high-powered offense by any means but miles ahead of last year. Tyrod hasn't been asked to do a ton but his numbers, on the whole, are actually remarkably good.

It's just not an offense built around the passing game right now. I think the Bills are giving him a little more each week as he gets comfortable but it's just not a high-powered passing offense and probably won't be next year either. It's not an optimal situation for Sammy, unfortunately.

Has to get more looks against Philly, right?
Probably depends on how the Bills are doing.

Bills 5 wins - average 4.8 targets (3, 2, 8, 7, 4)

Bills 4 losses - average 7.25 targets (8, 5, 6, 10)

(he missed 3 games due to injury)

Tyrod's pass attempts:

Bills 6 wins - 20.84 attempts (19, 29, 17, 12, 27, 21)

Bills 4 losses - 36.5 attempts (30, 42, 36, 38)

(he missed 2 games due to injury)

Vegas odds have the game close to a pick-em, most lines I have seen are in the EVEN to PHI -1.5 range. In Tyrod's 4 losses, the Bills have been chasing for much of the game. If the game is close, I have to imagine the Bills will be trying to run the ball as much as possible. If the Eagles get up early, expect Watkins to see more targets. If the Bills get up early or the game remains close throughout, I wouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary.

Has to get more looks against Philly, right?
Probably depends on how the Bills are doing.

Bills 5 wins - average 4.8 targets (3, 2, 8, 7, 4)

Bills 4 losses - average 7.25 targets (8, 5, 6, 10)

(he missed 3 games due to injury)

Tyrod's pass attempts:

Bills 6 wins - 20.84 attempts (19, 29, 17, 12, 27, 21)

Bills 4 losses - 36.5 attempts (30, 42, 36, 38)

(he missed 2 games due to injury)

Vegas odds have the game close to a pick-em, most lines I have seen are in the EVEN to PHI -1.5 range. In Tyrod's 4 losses, the Bills have been chasing for much of the game. If the game is close, I have to imagine the Bills will be trying to run the ball as much as possible. If the Eagles get up early, expect Watkins to see more targets. If the Bills get up early or the game remains close throughout, I wouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary.
I want to start him for the big game factor. Philly is still allowing a crazy number of snaps to opposing offenses so at least there is more potential chances.

It's either him, Amendola, or Rawls for me this week in a .5 PPR.

Next Gen Stats notebook: Pats receivers failing Brady

Excerpt:

Not to be overshadowed, Sammy Watkins turned in one of the most efficient performances by a receiver this season, covering 1.24 yards of distance per receiving yard gained. He reached 21.78 mph on the first of a pair of 53-yard bombs, tied for the fastest speed by a wide receiver on a catch in the last three weeks. Watkins is finally realizing his potential as one of the league's most dangerous deep threats.

How can you bench him? How can anyone complain about the Buff offence? Its better than EJ and Watkins is better with half the targets than most.

He is fully healthy as illustrated by Faust's previous post. ^^^

How can any of you bench him? This is where PPR fails.

How can you bench him? How can anyone complain about the Buff offence? Its better than EJ and Watkins is better with half the targets than most.

When you are only getting 5-6 targets a game, you may bench him if you have better options. The last two weeks, he took those targets and dominated. But the odds are heavily stacked against a receiver that only gets 5-6 targets a game. Weeks 10 and 11 he had 14 yards and 39 yards.

During weeks 10 and 11 he had a total of 13 targets. During weeks 12 and 13 he had a total of 14 targets. So the usage hasn't changed but the efficiency has.

The point is, they aren't forcing him the ball and he isn't the focus of the gameplan. He's the occasional deep threat option.

So there are plenty of reasons to bench him, especially if you want consistent production.

Not sure why you took a slam at ppr or how that has any relevance to this conversation.

When you are only getting 5-6 targets a game, you may bench him if you have better options. The last two weeks, he took those targets and dominated. But the odds are heavily stacked against a receiver that only gets 5-6 targets a game. Weeks 10 and 11 he had 14 yards and 39 yards.

During weeks 10 and 11 he had a total of 13 targets. During weeks 12 and 13 he had a total of 14 targets. So the usage hasn't changed but the efficiency has.

The point is, they aren't forcing him the ball and he isn't the focus of the gameplan. He's the occasional deep threat option.

So there are plenty of reasons to bench him, especially if you want consistent production.

Not sure why you took a slam at ppr or how that has any relevance to this conversation.
If you don't start him against the Philly secondary you may as well drop him.

Juicy matchup.

His floor is low every game, but in the playoffs, when you need upside, well...here it is.

If you don't start him against the Philly secondary you may as well drop him.

Juicy matchup.

His floor is low every game, but in the playoffs, when you need upside, well...here it is.
I agree its a great matchup. My point though, is that until he gets more targets, he's going to be inconsistent. Yeah, the boom or bust might be perfect for some people's fantasy teams, especially those who need explosion to have a chance in the playoffs. But along with his potential for explosion comes his potential for 1 or 2 catches.

Starting him over Crabtree in 1.0 PPR. This will be the third time starting him this year. I've started him on his biggest duds, and benched him on his best days. Hopefully I get it right this week in Week 1 of the playoffs...

Milkman and Matuski have been very quiet lately. Thats when you know Watkins has turned a corner. Lol.
Yes.. if he continues this 2 game streak he might break 1000 yards for the first time.

Matuski is somewhere riding on the back of Decker's Harley.
He still has a ways to go to catch Decker.

Good news though.. Sammy has broken into the top 35/40 WR this year.

Milkman and Matuski have been very quiet lately. Thats when you know Watkins has turned a corner. Lol.
Yes.. if he continues this 2 game streak he might break 1000 yards for the first time.

Watkins is 0.5 ppg behind Decker in my league this year. He's also WR29 in my league despite missing 3 games due to injury.Also, LOL at the "might break 1000 yards." He had 982 yards last year. Really like your arbitrary cut off's for success.

For better or worse I've missed a lot of the back and forth in this thread about Sammy - but what do you mean "for the first time"? He's a second year player. So if he had 20 more yards receiving last year, would you now say "if he has a few more good games he might actually break 1,000 yards for only the second time in his career"?

I know different league settings likely (our rewards long TDs and such, and isn't PPR) but Sammy is the overall #29 WR, but is actually 15th in PPG (ahead of Calvin, Decker, Maclin....). I mean, it's not like you'd have started him the weeks he wasn't on the field.

If you are benching him for your WR 4+ and that player is more consistant, then you have great WR depth. His lack of consistency is more obvious in PPR hence why I mentioned it. However I will take him over anyone most have as their WR4. The play calling is flawed but what fantasy wr 4 doesnt have flaws in their prognostics for next week? Are you really going to bench a healthy Watkins for Boldin, Diggs, VJax, Parker or MJones? Shorts? Coleman? You tell me who you are going to bench him for? People forget how banged up he has been all year. I cant see how anyone can rate him lower than a must start WR3 and in my book he is an obvious WR2. I own Dez and Edelman, he is my WR1.

Catch Decker? What are you talking about? He can never catch Decker. Decker is super awesome and Sammy's not on his level and never will be.

Watkins is 0.5 ppg behind Decker in my league this year. He's also WR29 in my league despite missing 3 games due to injury.Also, LOL at the "might break 1000 yards." He had 982 yards last year. Really like your arbitrary cut off's for success.
Don't feed the troll...

Users who are viewing this thread