What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (2 Viewers)

Faust said:
Oh pretty please, pretty please.....these things never pan out though.

I'm wondering about Cleveland as a "worst case" scenario for Watkins. I agree that he is good enough to succeed anywhere he goes, including Cleveland. But I wonder if Gordon + Cameron + some potential uncertainty at QB + general organizational dysfunction would dampen his value at least initially.

LIstening to Sigmond Bloom's 'On The Couch' latest episdoe with guest Matt Waldman.

Only about a half hour into the nearly two hour long podcast and Waldman and Bloom are going over the wide recievers in intricate detail and Waldman gives the book on Sammy Watkins and he thinks Watkins is the best WR of this class.

Really good break-down.

Only only a half hour into the pod but this is some of the best dish I've heard or seen on Watkins.

They dive right-in at the start of the pod so check it out:

Mar 26 2014
2014 Volume#30a - On The Couch 3.26.2014 (#2099)
In This Episode: Sigmund Bloom and Matt Waldman discuss the 2014 NFL Draft Wide Receiver class. Topics Include - Why Sammy Watkins is the best wide receiver prospect in the last three years, whether Mike Evans separates from the second tier of receivers, will Kelvin Benjamin boom or bust, Matt's favorite receiver in this class, plus more!

LIstening to Sigmond Bloom's 'On The Couch' latest episdoe with guest Matt Waldman.

Only about a half hour into the nearly two hour long podcast and Waldman and Bloom are going over the wide recievers in intricate detail and Waldman gives the book on Sammy Watkins and he thinks Watkins is the best WR of this class.

Really good break-down.

Only only a half hour into the pod but this is some of the best dish I've heard or seen on Watkins.

They dive right-in at the start of the pod so check it out:

Mar 26 2014

2014 Volume#30a - On The Couch 3.26.2014 (#2099)

In This Episode: Sigmund Bloom and Matt Waldman discuss the 2014 NFL Draft Wide Receiver class. Topics Include - Why Sammy Watkins is the best wide receiver prospect in the last three years, whether Mike Evans separates from the second tier of receivers, will Kelvin Benjamin boom or bust, Matt's favorite receiver in this class, plus more!
Great episode... refreshing change from all the combine regurgitation that goes on here in the SP. Get's into Watkins' game on the field... which is the most important and most impressive aspect when it comes to him.

Great stuff. Thank you for the link. And I didn't think I could get much more excited about Watkins....

Fisher sounds as if Rams will pass on WatkinsBy Jim Thomas

Excerpt:

ORLANDO, FLA. • Make no mistake, Rams coach Jeff Fisher likes Sammy Watkins, the gifted wide receiver from Clemson.

“He’s very, very explosive,” Fisher said. “I mean, he’s good with the ball. He’s good without the ball. He’s one of those guys that can pluck a ball at his ankles running full speed. He’s gonna be a very, very good pro.”

The question is: Does Fisher like Watkins enough to pluck him at No. 2 overall in the draft? It could be a smokescreen, but it doesn’t sound like it.

“I think with what we have on the roster right now, we can provide (quarterback) Sam (Bradford) with the talent to where we can win a lot of games,” Fisher said. “We’re expecting improvement. We’re still seeing improvement from (receivers), for example, Brian Quick, Chris Givens who are going into their third year.

“We expect significant improvement and more contribution from Tavon (Austin) and Stedman (Bailey). And I’m not disappointed in any way in what Austin Pettis has done in a backup role.”

The vibe all along from Rams Park this offseason has been that offensive line and the secondary are higher priorities than wide receiver. And Fisher’s comments seem to fit in with that premise.

The Rams have taken four receivers in the their two drafts under Fisher and general manager Les Snead, picking one in each of the first four rounds: Austin in the first (2013), Quick in the second (2012), Bailey in the third (2013), and Givens in the fourth (2012).

Perhaps the thinking is that that’s enough investment in one position over the short term, and that continued patience is needed. If you throw in Pettis, who was taken in the third round in 2011 during the Steve Spagnuolo-Billy Devaney regime, that’s five wideouts. And if the Rams end up signing Tennessee Titans wideout Kenny Britt, that’s six. The team might think it has enough at the position.

Then again, if the team passes on Watkins and he turns out to be the best wide receiver to come out in several years as some draftniks have proclaimed, the Rams might regret the decision.

Which is code for: Fisher really covets Watkins but does not want to let the teams in front of the Rams know that.

As long as he doesn't go to Oakland I'll be fine with taking him at 1. I'll still take him at 1 if he goes to Oakland, I just won't be as happy about it.

Another article singing the praises of Sammy Watkins.

This article has some gifs that highlight aspects of his game so you have to go to the link to view.

I also cut out a lot of the text so click to read the entire article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2007266-nfl-draft-2014-why-sammy-watkins-is-a-special-wide-receiver

NFL Draft 2014: Why Sammy Watkins Is a Special Wide Receiver By Cian Fahey , Featured Columnist Mar 28, 2014...Watkins is so gifted that any concerns about his relative height and his usage in college feels like nitpicking.

Yards After the Catch

Because of the offense he played in, the most prominent aspect of Watkins' skill set is his ability with the ball in his hands. Not only does Watkins have exceptional speed, evidenced by his 4.43 40 time at the combine and his 1.53 10-yard split, he also has outstanding awareness, superb agility and the understanding of how to set up his runs at the catch point.

There may be a lot of superlatives there, but that is the kind of player Watkins is.

{GIF at the link missing that shows the play that is discussed below}

On this play, Watkins shows off his acceleration to run clean down the seam. He easily glides past a defender on the second level before finding the sideline and stepping out of bounds. His acceleration stood out on this play, but the subtlety of the setup should also be noted.

Watkins didn't always get well-thrown passes from his quarterback on screen passes, but when he did he was able to adjust his body to catch it in stride or direct himself to space.

Instead of squaring his shoulders to the football and catching it before turning downfield, Watkins shuffles his feet and runs through the pass. He comfortably catches it with his hands away from his body. This is critical because it allows Watkins to immediately survey what is in front of him instead of watching the ball trajectory as it's moving toward his chest.

He immediately had space here, but that wasn't always the case.

{GIF at the link missing that shows the play that is discussed below}

On this play, Watkins catches the ball behind the line of scrimmage on an end-around play. He is immediately faced with a defender in the perfect position to tackle him when he turns the corner. This play should only result in a short gain, but Watkins' individual ability changes that.

Very swiftly, Watkins fakes an outside step before accelerating past the inside shoulder of the linebacker. The linebacker doesn't bite much on the fake, but because of Watkins' speed going forward, he is completely taken out of the play.

Once past the first defender, Watkins accelerated past a desperate tackle attempt with ease while still maintaining his body control to turn back toward the sideline....
Much more of the article at the link above.

The gist is they feel he will be successfen even if he is not as tall as the most recent 6'3+ TALL drafted NFL WRs who have blown up, i.e., A. J. Green, Julio Jones, and I'll toss in Josh Gordon who went unmentioned as they were making a case for top-five/ten drafted WRs.

They note his, YAC and the reason for his high yards after catch is due to his speed, more specifically his effortless conversion to speed from power and instant acceleration.

They note he catches everthing and has a Gumby-like ability to adjust his body to make tough catches, even going all the way down off the deck, then convert power to get off the line into speed and as soon as he finds a seem he steps on the peddle with instant acceleration to get YAC.

They also show some of the moves he makes in the open field to place defenders off-balance.

In addition they show that even though he's not as tall as the most recent tall high draft picked WRs who have blown up that he has an unusually wide catch radius and can high-point the ball and extend his body further increasing his catch radius. That uber-wide catch radius is something that Justin Blackmon has and he probably would be in the thick of the discussion of top-fight young NFL WRs if he didn't have off-field issues.

Oh and off-field issues are a negative that Watkins is free of so another checkmark on the plus-side for Sammy. Sad to note lack of negatives hanging over his noggin is considered a plus but it is so duly noted.

They also note he has the my-ball mentality and comes down with contested catches with great body control to naturally block-out defenders.

They put a cherry-on-top by noting big play abilty with superior route running,

Really good job in this article of explaining and using gifs to highlight every point that they make.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper said on the "First Draft" podcast that some evaluators believe Clemson WR Sammy Watkins "is a better prospect coming out than A.J. Green was."
Kiper dropped that little tidbit when discussing potential scenarios for the Rams, who own the Nos. 2 and 13 picks in the first round of May's draft. The analyst believes Watkins is worthy of the second selection if St. Louis decides to go in that direction, and suggests Alabama S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix as a target at 13 if the Rams tab Watkins first. Kiper asserts that the Rams "don't need to force" an OT selection. Colleague Todd McShay, for the record, disagrees, and believes St. Louis should tab offensive line help early.

Source: ESPN's First Draft Podcast

Sammy Watkins: 'I have some freakish talents'By Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

Clemson's Sammy Watkins is universally acclaimed as the best wide receiver in the draft, and he appears to agree with that sentiment.

"I have some freakish talents and ability to make plays," he told KGMZ-FM in San Francisco on Tuesday. "I can jump, run catch, make somebody miss. That's my game."

Watkins also said, "I understand football and the preparation, so for me, it's getting in with the team I'm with and learn that playbook. ... I think after the first few games, I'll be definitely fine."

Watkins (6-foot-1, 211 pounds) is the No. 2 player on NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah's list of the top 50 prospects. He seemingly is in play to go as high as No. 2 in the draft, and it seems a certainty that he will be a top-10 selection.

He has said he likes the idea of playing with Detroit's Calvin Johnson, but the Lions pick 10th and Watkins should be off the board by then.

He seemingly would fit in quite well with St. Louis, which picks second and could use another weapon for Sam Bradford; Jacksonville, which picks third and needs a No. 1 receiver; Cleveland, which picks fourth and could team him with Josh Gordon and tight end Jordan Cameron for a potentially dominant trio; Oakland, which picks fifth and needs a go-to receiver; and Tampa Bay, which picks seventh and could use a deep threat.

Watkins has posted Instagram shots of him in Browns, Bucs, Lions, Raiders and Rams uniforms. He also has posted an Instagram saying, "Sammy Watkins will NOT be the latest Top 10 WR bust." Numerous wide receivers picked in the top 10 have been busts recently.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper said on the "First Draft" podcast that some evaluators believe Clemson WR Sammy Watkins "is a better prospect coming out than A.J. Green was."

Kiper dropped that little tidbit when discussing potential scenarios for the Rams, who own the Nos. 2 and 13 picks in the first round of May's draft. The analyst believes Watkins is worthy of the second selection if St. Louis decides to go in that direction, and suggests Alabama S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix as a target at 13 if the Rams tab Watkins first. Kiper asserts that the Rams "don't need to force" an OT selection. Colleague Todd McShay, for the record, disagrees, and believes St. Louis should tab offensive line help early.

Source: ESPN's First Draft Podcast
Are these Yanamano Rain Forest Indian evaluators?

To me that is crazy talk (though I always appreciate Faust's [[maybe he can be so prolific because he made a bargain with the devil, like the legendary literary figure adopted as his handle :) ]] generosity of time and effort in bringing us grist for the conversational mill), but admittedly it isn't always easy to separate out what we know now in hindsight from when they were prospects at a comparable stage of development. But in this case, I think I can.

I'm comfortable with best SINCE Green and Jones. Some (Casserly?) have also said better than Jones, I could see that more, but I view them as more comparable.

Anyways, Soulfly will probably appreciate this tidbit from a STL-related chat by ESPN beat writer Nick Wagoner. He mentioned when he was in Indy for the combine, the knock on Evans from scouts was centered on consistency of effort, but that Watkins plays every down like his cleats are on fire (pretty much verbatim transcription).

I like that description of Watkins. I've characterized among the things that make him special (despite not being 6'3"+, sheesh) his physicality, toughness and strength. Hoge was gushing about him as a total package in part for these aspects of his physical trait/skill set constellation, to the point that he called him the best WR prospect he's ever seen, more crazy talk, and I characterized it as over the top at the time.

But another facet that makes Watkins special, IMO, is his intensity, and the above description captures that nicely.

There could be physical, tough and strong WRs that are slackers (or at least inconsistent), they aren't mutually exclusive.

That said, I think Evans is going to be really good, I'm not concerned about his effort (just passing along the observation/comparison). I'm excited about Evans positional upside, he only played WR two seasons each as a prep and in college. He has a vaulted, cathedral-style ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes Watkins such a great prospect is that he's displayed a clear ability to expand his game every year in college. People wonder why he wasn't ranked as the #1 WR last year and Lee was. Well, to me it's simple. Watkins continued to improve as a player and Lee did not. I'm not really knocking Lee here. He was injured and it was going to be tough for him to improve much given the circumstances. We do get to see the aptitude for Watkins to transition his game, though. That is a great quality to have as an NFL WR. It the reason AJ Green has been so good early on as well these are guys who understand the technical demands of their position and work to perfect it.

Oh pretty please, pretty please.....these things never pan out though.

I'm wondering about Cleveland as a "worst case" scenario for Watkins. I agree that he is good enough to succeed anywhere he goes, including Cleveland. But I wonder if Gordon + Cameron + some potential uncertainty at QB + general organizational dysfunction would dampen his value at least initially.
That would be a bad move by Detroit and I see a smokescreen with any feigned interest. They need defensive backs and linebackers and a complementary receiver like Landry.

What makes Watkins such a great prospect is that he's displayed a clear ability to expand his game every year in college. People wonder why he wasn't ranked as the #1 WR last year and Lee was. Well, to me it's simple. Watkins continued to improve as a player and Lee did not. I'm not really knocking Lee here. He was injured and it was going to be tough for him to improve much given the circumstances. We do get to see the aptitude for Watkins to transition his game, though. That is a great quality to have as an NFL WR. It the reason AJ Green has been so good early on as well these are guys who understand the technical demands of their position and work to perfect it.
I agree. I would not be shocked however to see Lee end up being a Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt type of of player when all is said and done. Which is to say he has Hall of Fame potential, just like Watkins.

I've got one guy in one of my leagues who obviously agrees with the thread title. Offered me Watkins for my Spiller and Allen.

I've got one guy in one of my leagues who obviously agrees with the thread title. Offered me Watkins for my Spiller and Allen.
Right now that's obviously a horrible trade but by the end of the season you may not be able to get him for that.

Right now that's obviously a horrible trade but by the end of the season you may not be able to get him for that.
I was thinking the same thing. I hold the 1.01 pick and I will be taking Watkins. I also would not trade it for Spiller/Allen.
Interesting. With the top-6/7 dynasty WR's pretty much locked in for the foreseeable future, any other guy you're looking at a max ranking/value between 7-12, realistically. Allen's already there, do you really think Watkins' ceiling is high enough to justify being worth more? And this is setting aside Spiller, I realize he's not everyone's cup of tea. Honestly if I thought I was upgrading Allen I would sacrifice Spiller to make the move in a second. I'm all about consolidating like that. I just don't see how Watkins should be worth more than Allen.

I was thinking the same thing. I hold the 1.01 pick and I will be taking Watkins. I also would not trade it for Spiller/Allen.
Interesting. With the top-6/7 dynasty WR's pretty much locked in for the foreseeable future, any other guy you're looking at a max ranking/value between 7-12, realistically. Allen's already there, do you really think Watkins' ceiling is high enough to justify being worth more? And this is setting aside Spiller, I realize he's not everyone's cup of tea. Honestly if I thought I was upgrading Allen I would sacrifice Spiller to make the move in a second. I'm all about consolidating like that. I just don't see how Watkins should be worth more than Allen.
I think Watkins is the type of talent and stud that can be a consistent top 5 WR fantasy wise in the nfl and one that in time will be in the argument for best WR in the game. Watkins is a special talent and one that comes around every 7 to 10 years. Allen is a very nice player but I see him as a player that will always be a borderline fantasy WR1.

What would you trade AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, or Andre Johnson (in his prime) for? If Watkins is who I think he is going to be then I am selling low by getting guys like Allen and Spiller. I am willing to gamble that Watkins has a higher probability of being one of those studs than Allen is. To me that is not worth even what we know of Allen and getting a guy like Spiller (who I have to admit I am not a fan of).

Who is Watkins going to consistently bump out of the top 5?

Calvin

Brandon

AJ

Dez

Demaryius

Gordon

not to mention next tier guys.

Yes, the Watkins hype is officially at ludicrous speed. :lmao:

Calvin

Brandon

AJ

Dez

Demaryius

Gordon

3 of those guys are near the ends of their elite careers

Calvin

Brandon

AJ

Dez

Demaryius

Gordon

Agreed and in my opinion it is deserved. Outside of Marshall who fell in the draft, if you passed on any of those fore mentioned guys when they were coming out for lesser WR's (guys that are more WR2 in fantasy football) you are behind the curve.

Also, Watkins is not your average WR drafted in the first round. He is going to be drafted by an NFL team with the understanding that he is going to be in that list sooner than later. He is as close to a can't miss WR prospect I have seen for the last while. This is not a Tavon Austin type of prospect.

Calvin

Brandon

AJ

Dez

Demaryius

Gordon

3 of those guys are near the ends of their elite careers
You mean 2? And even that's a stretch. I'm assuming AJ is A.J. Green (not Andre Johnson). Calvin will be 29 this season and elite WRs have shown to remain elite well into their mid-30s.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Carter_Can_Fly said:
cstu said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
I think it's pretty laughable to think the Top 6 or 7 dynasty receivers are pretty much locked in. How long is foreseeable? I would venture a guess that at least 2 of your locked in players won't make the top 6 or 7 again in their careers.

DeMaryius loses his QB soon, and who knows after that. Dez and Gordon are studs that are one good after party away from not helping anyone. Marshall is not a kid, and has a young buck fighting for looks.

Amazing that people need to be reminded how fast things change.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Carter_Can_Fly said:
cstu said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
I think it's pretty laughable to think the Top 6 or 7 dynasty receivers are pretty much locked in. How long is foreseeable? I would venture a guess that at least 2 of your locked in players won't make the top 6 or 7 again in their careers.
Yeah this. Check out the turnover at the top for WR. It's a pretty fluid situation from year to year.

Calvin

Brandon

AJ

Dez

Demaryius

Gordon

Agreed and in my opinion it is deserved. Outside of Marshall who fell in the draft, if you passed on any of those fore mentioned guys when they were coming out for lesser WR's (guys that are more WR2 in fantasy football) you are behind the curve.Also, Watkins is not your average WR drafted in the first round. He is going to be drafted by an NFL team with the understanding that he is going to be in that list sooner than later. He is as close to a can't miss WR prospect I have seen for the last while. This is not a Tavon Austin type of prospect.
I agree that Watkins is "cant miss", but cant miss and elite are two different things and i think that a lot of people are forgetting that. I would be incredibly surprised if he busted, but to me he profiles as more of a complete torrey smith (ie torrey + route running + hands) than a top 5 WR. He just doesnt profile like the current elite players from a height/weight/speed standpoint, and i know that some people think thats outdated analysis, but it does matter. You can make more plays at 6'4" than at 6'1". For Watkins to be a top 5 fantasy wr to me would take an elite qb/offense similar to randall cobb in green bay, and if were talking about him going top 5, that probably isnt happening.

This is awesome.

I ask who he is going to "consistently" bump out of the top 5 and i get a handful of responses listing current WR ages.

So he won't bump them out consistently, he will just wait until half or more retire?? :lol:

Agreed, you could even add Julio and Alshon to the list. When you go against group think and suggest Watkins is only good, not great, the group gets upset.

Sitting at 2 in dynasty almost makes me hope he falls to me so I can trade him for maximum value to someone that will overpay because of this hype. That is where his true value lies IMO.

Calvin

Brandon

AJ

Dez

Demaryius

Gordon

Agreed and in my opinion it is deserved. Outside of Marshall who fell in the draft, if you passed on any of those fore mentioned guys when they were coming out for lesser WR's (guys that are more WR2 in fantasy football) you are behind the curve.Also, Watkins is not your average WR drafted in the first round. He is going to be drafted by an NFL team with the understanding that he is going to be in that list sooner than later. He is as close to a can't miss WR prospect I have seen for the last while. This is not a Tavon Austin type of prospect.
I agree that Watkins is "cant miss", but cant miss and elite are two different things and i think that a lot of people are forgetting that. I would be incredibly surprised if he busted, but to me he profiles as more of a complete torrey smith (ie torrey + route running + hands) than a top 5 WR. He just doesnt profile like the current elite players from a height/weight/speed standpoint, and i know that some people think thats outdated analysis, but it does matter. You can make more plays at 6'4" than at 6'1". For Watkins to be a top 5 fantasy wr to me would take an elite qb/offense similar to randall cobb in green bay, and if were talking about him going top 5, that probably isnt happening.
There aren't many young WR's with top 5 potential - Green, Julio, Gordon, Bryant, DT, Jeffery, Patterson.

As far as Watkins' profile as a top 5 fantasy WR, he's only 1 inch and 10 lbs. less than Dez. Antonio Brown was the #3 WR last year and I don't think he's close to Watkins in talent.

Yeah i don't see an elite prospect either. I see a wr with a high floor though. He'll most likely fall somewhere between WR12 and WR20 because he won't be much of a red zone target.

This is awesome.

I ask who he is going to "consistently" bump out of the top 5 and i get a handful of responses listing current WR ages.

So he won't bump them out consistently, he will just wait until half or more retire?? :lol:
Who did Josh Gordon and Dez bump out of the top 5 before they were included in the list? Were you laughing when owners were not selling them because they were holding thinking they had a top guy?

My point is at some stage you have to make a decision about players entering the NFL as well as current young players in the NFL and put values on them. You also have to make decisions and make some calculated risks. No one will bat 100 percent but to shrug it off and laugh when players like Watkins come around and simply dismiss him as they hype is out of control is silly. Fantasy football is far from exact.

Yeah i don't see an elite prospect either. I see a wr with a high floor though. He'll most likely fall somewhere between WR12 and WR20 because he won't be much of a red zone target.
What does Watkins lack that Roddy White had to make him a top 5 WR?

i feel like when people bring up roddy White they're somewhat cherry picking. Roddy White's the exception. Having said that roddy white is tougher and more explosive than Watkins.

i feel like when people bring up roddy White they're somewhat cherry picking. Roddy White's the exception. Having said that roddy white is tougher and more explosive than Watkins.
Roddy, Garcon, Nicks, Cruz, Blackmon are all the same type of receiver. In today's NFL these guys are studs in PPR leagues.

Edit: when healthy and not suspended.

Roddy, Garcon, Nicks, Cruz, Blackmon are all the same type of receiver. In today's NFL these guys are studs in PPR leagues.

Edit: when healthy and not suspended.
actually in today's nfl they are starting to be common place.........

This is awesome.

Who did Josh Gordon and Dez bump out of the top 5 before they were included in the list? Were you laughing when owners were not selling them because they were holding thinking they had a top guy?

My point is at some stage you have to make a decision about players entering the NFL as well as current young players in the NFL and put values on them. You also have to make decisions and make some calculated risks. No one will bat 100 percent but to shrug it off and laugh when players like Watkins come around and simply dismiss him as they hype is out of control is silly. Fantasy football is far from exact.
When slapped in the face with reason you back off a bit.

At the start of the thread you were the guy saying he is the equivalent of an Olympic Sprinter until I pointed out his times were that of an above average high-schooler.

Your last sentence is the start and the end to this. Purporting he will walk into the league as a top 5 receiver year in year out is akin to saying he is an Olympic caliber sprinter.

We can start with a 41" vert
I didn't see him use his vertical very often and don't think it's the reason he put up top 5 numbers.

This is awesome.

At the start of the thread you were the guy saying he is the equivalent of an Olympic Sprinter until I pointed out his times were that of an above average high-schooler.

Your last sentence is the start and the end to this. Purporting he will walk into the league as a top 5 receiver year in year out is akin to saying he is an Olympic caliber sprinter.
Watkins has a PB of 10.45 seconds in the 100 meter which he ran in 2011. Not Olympic caliber but pretty darn fast.

You are underrating how good of a prospect Watkins is and any team that drafts him will be doing so early and will be thinking that they are getting a guy that will develop into one of the tops in his position in time.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
matuski said:
This is awesome.

Watkins has a PB of 10.45 seconds in the 100 meter which he ran in 2011. Not Olympic caliber but pretty darn fast.

You are underrating how good of a prospect Watkins is and any team that drafts him will be doing so early and will be thinking that they are getting a guy that will develop into one of the tops in his position in time.
10.45 actually is olympic caliber. That time would have beaten 33 men in 2012.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
matuski said:
This is awesome.

I believe I already documented it would have finished well out of the medals in my state high school meet. Here

And to the above, yes 10.45 (btw I thought it was 10.59.. are we exaggerating again?) is fast but not close to US Olympic caliber.. I should have specified US. I'm sure Watkins could beat Vietnam's representative. Damn fast >< US Olympic fast.

Watkins will be damn good. He won't walk into the league and "consistently" bump off current top 5 Wrs. Damn good >< Top 5 WRs on the planet.

I'm just trying to reign in Carter's (and others) hyperbole... people are getting way ahead of themselves.

These threads are becoming less and less useful. Jesus Christ, we're talking about whether a guy has olympic speed? Really? That's boredom I guess.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
matuski said:
This is awesome.

I believe I already documented it would have finished well out of the medals in my state high school meet. Here

And to the above, yes 10.45 (btw I thought it was 10.59.. are we exaggerating again?) is fast but not close to US Olympic caliber.. I should have specified US. I'm sure Watkins could beat Vietnam's representative. Damn fast >< US Olympic fast.

Watkins will be damn good. He won't walk into the league and "consistently" bump off current top 5 Wrs. Damn good >< Top 5 WRs on the planet.

I'm just trying to reign in Carter's (and others) hyperbole... people are getting way ahead of themselves.
Generally the top 5 guys bump themselves off when they get hurt or old.

Users who are viewing this thread