Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Henry Ford

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads

1 hour ago, arrow1 said:

Ooof

Just spoke to him. He said he had a very different interpretation of our conversation. I explained that was not the case, I never asked for a letter (and wouldn't have since we still had another attorney we were considering).

He agreed to dismiss the bill.

Ugh, how do I avoid anything like this in the future if have to speak to an attorney?

Edited by gianmarco

18 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Just spoke to him. He said he had a very different interpretation of our conversation. I explained we that was not the case, I never asked for a letter (and wouldn't have since we still had another attorney we were considering).

Ugh, how do I avoid anything like this in the future if have to speak to an attorney?

Step 1, don't call this attorney.  

Step 2, Profit!!!

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

So I called as soon as I posted this.  I did exactly this and he said he already had drafted a letter (which I never asked for).  I told him to hold off on anything else until I spoke with my wife.  Emailed this morning and said we weren't going to retain his services.  He thanked me and just sent me a bill for $300.  Wtf?  I never agreed to any of that.  Is this really how this works?

No, don’t pay him

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Just spoke to him. He said he had a very different interpretation of our conversation. I explained we that was not the case, I never asked for a letter (and wouldn't have since we still had another attorney we were considering).

Generally, you shouldn't have to do anything else, since an ethical attorney will have you sign a fee agreement before performing any work (I believe most states have a rule of professional conduct encouraging attorneys to provide a written fee schedule before performing work).   To be safe, just ask for a fee agreement in the initial consultation, and let them know you'll review it and get back to them before you decide whether to incur any fees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, -fish- said:
On 10/18/2019 at 12:01 PM, FBG26 said:

I've got a phone screening interview for an in-house patent role next week! Haven't interviewed in a number of years, so I'm excited but also nervous. 

Good luck.   Phone screening sounds great.   No need for pants.

And on to the in-person interviews. Bring it! 

• Like 4

On 10/18/2019 at 7:49 PM, Otis said:

When you want an outside sounding board, feel free to call on Oats anytime. 

Oats - sorry for taking so long to respond to this, but just wanted to say thanks GB. Appreciate the offer. 

4 hours ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Holy hell...  don't make up a family death emergency and then double triple quadruple down on the lie to the judge.  

I learned early on, as I think most lawyers do, to always always always own your mistakes, fall on your sword, don't blame your staff, accept full consequences immediately, apologize to the Court and counsel and ask for forgiveness.  I've had to do that a few times over the past 25 years and it is always appreciated if handled professionally.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2019 at 1:22 PM, CletiusMaximus said:

I learned early on, as I think most lawyers do, to always always always own your mistakes, fall on your sword, don't blame your staff, accept full consequences immediately, apologize to the Court and counsel and ask for forgiveness.  I've had to do that a few times over the past 25 years and it is always appreciated if handled professionally.

I once wrote a supplemental brief to Federal Court when I realized I misquoted a depo transcript. Opposing counsel tried to make hay with it at the next hearing. He ended up being on the receiving end of one of the harshest dressing downs I've seen in court. 

Judge actually held up my supplemental brief, shaking it at the guy, and said "Mr Thorn has fallen on his sword here, what more do you want?"

(We won)

• Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 2:18 PM, mr. furley said:

any criminal defense attorneys in here?

thoughts on theoretical federal sentences if someone theoretically got arrested for drug conspiracy charges where medium-large quantities of a certain powdery substance were transported across state lines and that someone theoretically got arrested with drugs, cash and a weapon?

do any outstanding state charges factor in?

Furley...

Edited by Zow

On 11/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, CletiusMaximus said:

Yep. 100% here. Also saying sorry to clients immediately and owning your mistakes go a long long way. 

My biggest mistake I ever made led to a bunch of later referrals b/c I was honest. Ruined the client’s chances on appeal, like absolutely obliterated them, and he will still call. 

If you don’t already know...this is a pretty fun subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/bestoflegaladvice/

This is today’s highlight

I ####ed up at work and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sacked. They've invited me in for a meeting where they're going to sack me. They told me I can bring someone to support me.

I want to hire a clown to support me. I'll get him to blow ballon animals and to mime stuff.

Can I do this? Can they stop me?

• Like 1