Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Henry Ford

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads

4 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Huh.  That’s... interesting. 

I know some of the attorneys involved and I do quite a bit of bad faith litigation against Allstate.    I'm absolutely bringing this up next chance I get.

6 minutes ago, -fish- said:

I know some of the attorneys involved and I do quite a bit of bad faith litigation against Allstate.    I'm absolutely bringing this up next chance I get.

Yeah, I do a lot of bad faith against Allstate, too.  I'll have to bring this to the attention of opposing counsel next time he or she thinks I'm out of line with a demand.

19 hours ago, BigJim® said:

Can’t find any updates re: the outcome of the order to appear Nov 13... are there any?

Yeah, briefly, he produced the death certificate, which was for a different date than the status conference (a few days off, I believe).  He sort of argued that he was in mourning and got mixed up on his dates.  Judge Seibel ended his contempt so he didn't incur any more charges, but refused to vacate her previous two contempt orders, so they remain a matter of record, and she referred him to the (New York state) Grievance Committee.  

Interestingly, I have appeared in front of her twice (nothing major - no trials, just motions) and I thought she was terrific and very mild-mannered.  I would never have picked her to be the judge in this sort of situation (I'm certainly not saying she was wrong - I'm just surprised she did what she did).  Reading the orders in the case I think she was influenced heavily by his conduct in the case as a whole, which validated his reputation.   

4 hours ago, -fish- said:

Wow, Twilight Zone here - I am familiar with almost everyone involved in this one too (except the plaintiff's lawyer - never heard of him).

Set for an order to show cause hearing on December 16, with parties (both plaintiffs and an Allstate rep) to appear in person.   

1 hour ago, Aerial Assault said:

Wow, Twilight Zone here - I am familiar with almost everyone involved in this one too (except the plaintiff's lawyer - never heard of him).

Set for an order to show cause hearing on December 16, with parties (both plaintiffs and an Allstate rep) to appear in person.   

So who’s going to the hearing?  Someone has to go. 

• Like 3

Silly question for any VA attorneys in here.

We have a person who is not a teacher in our school system, but works with the marching band and it's students. We found out that they had an issue with alcohol at age 19 (10 years ago) which has resulted in their 'lowering' to being only able to assist, not to 'chaperone.' The Band Director has asked for a bunch of parents to write basically a recommendation letter, and this will assist in their being brought back up to 'full' stature.

My question is shouldn't ~10 years have wiped this off his record? I mean he didn't kill anyone, or have some sort of sexual assault on his record.

On 12/5/2019 at 5:57 PM, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

His response to the ex parte motion is hilarious as well.  Keeps claiming that all the comments are protected as privileged settlement communications.

The response is really amazing.  

On 11/22/2019 at 3:44 PM, chet said:

I've posted about this before but in order to not provide enough info to identify the case, I'm not going to provide explicit info.  I'd appreciate it if people didn't attempt to "dox" the case.

I'm involved in a case where a judge made a ruling and according to most with knowledge in the area, the judge made a mistake.  The original ruling was over two years ago and everything else in the case has ground to a halt pending resolution of that issue.  Over the summer, the judge heard arguments from both sides in an apparent attempt to make a final ruling on the issue.  Our legal team thought he'd rule in 3 weeks but we've heard nothing ~5 months later.  WTF?  This is more of a vent than a question but I'd appreciate thoughts on this situation.  

The judge just ruled in our favor!  Hopefully onto trial!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2019 at 7:09 PM, thecatch said:

The response is really amazing.  

The article I’m reading about the hearing is pretty awesome too (Law360). Apparently the attorney hid in the stands for the first part of the hearing before standing up and announcing his presence. 

6 hours ago, thecatch said:

The article I’m reading about the hearing is pretty awesome too (Law360). Apparently the attorney hid in the stands for the first part of the hearing before standing up and announcing his presence. 

Read the same article.  The judge asked “were you HIDING???”

:lmao:

Edited by Otis

No intention to make this political.  Watching the impeachment hearings and I'm shocked at how bad both Sekulow and Cippolone are at oral argument.  Setting aside their strategy and whether they said things that were inconsistent with basic facts, neither managed to construct a coherent argument and both came off unprepared and unprofessional.  I argue against better attorneys every week in superior court.

• Like 1