What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (2 Viewers)

I've been having a rough go of it. Feeling like my work doesn't do much good for anyone. And then this morning I show up at my office and one of the non-profits I do pro bono work for had a shellac'd service tray made for me with the artwork of a kid helped by the charity in it and "Thank You from [charity and kid's name]" across it. Presented in my reception area in front of my entire office by the Director of Development of this chapter of a huge, well-known charity. I'm a weepy mess right now.

Any chance any of you ever do high end Preference Litigation in Federal Bankruptcy court?
I did hundreds of preference cases in my previous life, including a dozen or so over the course of 14 years that would probably qualify as "high-end" - meaning, value in the millions with complex contested issues, experts, etc.

When I was a law clerk (approx. 20 years ago), we had one worth a few million in which the defendant bank hired Elizabeth Warren as special counsel for the summary judgement argument. That was one of the best arguments I've ever seen, with great lawyers on both sides arguing very tough issues.

Any chance any of you ever do high end Preference Litigation in Federal Bankruptcy court?
I did hundreds of preference cases in my previous life, including a dozen or so over the course of 14 years that would probably qualify as "high-end" - meaning, value in the millions with complex contested issues, experts, etc.

When I was a law clerk (approx. 20 years ago), we had one worth a few million in which the defendant bank hired Elizabeth Warren as special counsel for the summary judgement argument. That was one of the best arguments I've ever seen, with great lawyers on both sides arguing very tough issues.
This community is amazing.

Awesome.

Give me a primer on the added benefit affirmative defense. I already have ordinary course stuff down pretty cold, but the added benefit stuff is killing me right now - I feel like it all goes in circles.

I've been having a rough go of it. Feeling like my work doesn't do much good for anyone. And then this morning I show up at my office and one of the non-profits I do pro bono work for had a shellac'd service tray made for me with the artwork of a kid helped by the charity in it and "Thank You from [charity and kid's name]" across it. Presented in my reception area in front of my entire office by the Director of Development of this chapter of a huge, well-known charity. I'm a weepy mess right now.
Awesome. I am Board President of a nonprofit providing pro bono legal services to artists and arts organizations and these kinds of things always reaffirm my decision to practice law and devote hundreds of hours per year to helping those who really need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Awesome.Give me a primer on the added benefit affirmative defense. I already have ordinary course stuff down pretty cold, but the added benefit stuff is killing me right now - I feel like it all goes in circles.
Do you mean new value? That can be a pretty complicated analysis based on when payments were sent/received and when the new value was provided. Calculations can vary by circuit.

Awesome.

Give me a primer on the added benefit affirmative defense. I already have ordinary course stuff down pretty cold, but the added benefit stuff is killing me right now - I feel like it all goes in circles.
This is referred to as the "new value" defense - 547©(4). In a small case, its pretty easy to figure out - just map out the dates payments were received and dates your client delivered additional goods or services (for which it was not paid) and do the math. There can be some room for creative arguments on this defense. In a larger, more complex situation, this is for an expert. I know a few very good ones, but they are not cheap. I had a case where there were hundreds of payments, deliveries, credits, etc. within the 90 day period and it was impossible for a lawyer to analyze without expert help. My experts mapped it out, dumbed it down, and the plaintiff (repped by good lawyers at Skadden) dismissed.

Awesome. I am Board President of a nonprofit providing pro bono legal services to artists and arts organizations and these kinds of things always reaffirm my decision to practice law and devote hundreds of hours per year to helping those who really need it.
I helped draft and get passed by the Louisiana House and Senate a bill that ultimately provided a huge amount of funding for this organization - accounted for about 1/5 of their budget this year in this state - without costing the State a cent.

So nobody wants to click on the link parasaurolopholous posted? It sounds like, at least in Wisconsin, he was right.
I did. He was right for Wisconsin--unless he hires social workers who deal with domestic violence issues. But Wisconsin law seems to be an outlier given the responses in here. It's not the law in Illinois. And it's not the law at the Federal level.
:goodposting:

It all makes sense though - I WI nobody would have a job if it was a pure at will state.

Awesome.

This is referred to as the "new value" defense - 547©(4). In a small case, its pretty easy to figure out - just map out the dates payments were received and dates your client delivered additional goods or services (for which it was not paid) and do the math. There can be some room for creative arguments on this defense. In a larger, more complex situation, this is for an expert. I know a few very good ones, but they are not cheap. I had a case where there were hundreds of payments, deliveries, credits, etc. within the 90 day period and it was impossible for a lawyer to analyze without expert help. My experts mapped it out, dumbed it down, and the plaintiff (repped by good lawyers at Skadden) dismissed.
Not a small case. The problem I am having on the fact side is the nature of the service and the specificity of it as balanced against the manner and method of payment and how to define the new value. I didn't think of an expert to do it - that is a good idea for an option. Thanks.

Awesome and good for you.

So nobody wants to click on the link parasaurolopholous posted? It sounds like, at least in Wisconsin, he was right.
Thank you. I wish I was wrong since I hate this law.

I was actually starting to wonder if somehow a bunch of people were messing with me. The replies I was getting had me scratching my head. Part of it is my fault. I was posting on my phone. I did not mean to bold the first sentence where I copied and pasted what was on that site. NCC then only read that bold part. The pertinent part was a few sentences down where it specifies conviction. I also forgot to name my state in my first post.

Christo more or less answered what "substantially related" means for me too, so thank you.

I helped draft and get passed by the Louisiana House and Senate a bill that ultimately provided a huge amount of funding for this organization - accounted for about 1/5 of their budget this year in this state - without costing the State a cent.
Nice. I meet with our local govt funding commission next week to work on our 2015 grant--lots of fun.

This is awesome. I admit I'd be crying too. That's one of the saving graces of this job. Every now and then you really do help someone and they actually appreciate it and say or do something to show it. It's uplifting more than most clients would ever know.

I have a wage theft question hopefully someone here has experience.

So an employer requires a specific uniform for employees to wear. They make the employee pay for it. My understanding is if it is not something that would be considered casual wear that is illegal and is wage theft. My question is what would be considered casual wear? I mean people wear stuff with logos. For instance I have a couple of polos with the PGA logo on the sleeve. If I was an employee would it be illegal for the PGA to require me to pay them if that was part of the required uniform? Contrast that with a logo T-shirt that no one is going to really wear anywhere but to work. Is making me buy that illegal?

:thumbup:

So an employer requires a specific uniform for employees to wear. They make the employee pay for it. My understanding is if it is not something that would be considered casual wear that is illegal and is wage theft. My question is what would be considered casual wear? I mean people wear stuff with logos. For instance I have a couple of polos with the PGA logo on the sleeve. If I was an employee would it be illegal for the PGA to require me to pay them if that was part of the required uniform? Contrast that with a logo T-shirt that no one is going to really wear anywhere but to work. Is making me buy that illegal?
Obviously, this falls under the YMMV because I don't have a license in your state. But I think anything with a logo would count as a uniform and the employer would be required to pay.

I might be wrong, but I think bigbottom or RHE might be the people to answer this.

Obviously, this falls under the YMMV because I don't have a license in your state. But I think anything with a logo would count as a uniform and the employer would be required to pay.
Is it "required to pay" or "required to pay if purchase would bring the employee under minimum wage"?

Is it "required to pay" or "required to pay if purchase would bring the employee under minimum wage"?
Well in my reading, and i could be reading wrong, you can not deduct an amount that would bring the employee under minimum wage regardless.

I might be wrong, but I think bigbottom or RHE might be the people to answer this.
Yeah hopefully BB or RHE will stop by.

You tell me.

I thought this was part of federal law. Do the states get some leeway? I was reading specifically about NC and the employment lawyer who wrote the piece said you could not ever charge an employee in NC for a uniform. I never had to pay for a uniform anywhere I worked. Now upgraded items or collectible type wear from the company store can of course be charged and I have paid for those.

The reason I am asking is the casual wear exemption. I was hoping someone had run into it and had some idea where the line was.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am NOT at all an expert on this issue, but I'd gather that it's not illegal per se and why such purchases are instead allowed to be written off on one's taxes.

You tell me.
I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

You tell me.
:lmao:

You tell me.
RHE and BB better get here quick.

That's very cool. What a nice "thank you".

Those guys don't come cheap.

CletiusMaximus said:
Henry Ford said:
NCCommish said:

I am not sure BB is going to show he is an infrequent guest as I don't think he likes to talk lawyering. RHE is an alias I thought.

CletiusMaximus said:
Henry Ford said:
NCCommish said:

I am not sure BB is going to show he is an infrequent guest as I don't think he likes to talk lawyering. RHE is an alias I thought.
RHE is scoobygang. He knows a lot of random stuff but he has never practiced any sort of labor law so :shrug:

Biggie does labor law. He's probably your best bet here, I guess.

You tell me.
:lmao: :lmao:

perfect use of this thread/not ruining another thread

So I saw where Wal-Mart stopped having a uniform and went to a dress code so that their associates had to buy the clothes. No logo wear. I guess that answers my question.

So I saw where Wal-Mart stopped having a uniform and went to a dress code so that their associates had to buy the clothes. No logo wear. I guess that answers my question.
I answered the school 4th Amendment issue in the other thread. You were right.

Not at all a look at me in any way or a measurement or contest between us, but I was just notified yesterday of something similar that a non-profit will be doing for me. No gift, more public recognition. Very cool. For as much as I really have hated being an attorney the past couple days because of the stuff I have had to do, this is really really cool. More proud of this than pretty much anything I've done professionally.

Not at all a look at me in any way or a measurement or contest between us, but I was just notified yesterday of something similar that a non-profit will be doing for me. No gift, more public recognition. Very cool. For as much as I really have hated being an attorney the past couple days because of the stuff I have had to do, this is really really cool. More proud of this than pretty much anything I've done professionally.
I got a pleasant email from a client. About as good as it gets around these parts.

I got a pleasant email from a client. About as good as it gets around these parts.
I had one accuse me of being in cahoots with the victim, sabotaging her case, and choosing not to dismiss her case this morning. Good times.

Congrats. Not enough of that stuff - enjoy it while it's happening.

I was having some license issues a year and half or so ago. My attorney got me off without a single point on my license and a tiny fee. I sent him a nice email for his efforts and have referred two clients to him so far. He is a one man shop I figure the referrals are the best gift for him.

I was having some license issues a year and half or so ago. My attorney got me off without a single point on my license and a tiny fee. I sent him a nice email for his efforts and have referred two clients to him so far. He is a one man shop I figure the referrals are the best gift for him.
referrals are great. and bourbon.

The best thank you a lawyer can get.

I give all credit to hanging out in here with you guys.
There's a hell of a lot less expensive than law school.

Just when you thought Wal-Mart were big enough ##### to their employees, they make them buy electric blue golf shirts (without logos!) that they'll never be able to wear anywhere else. This is the employment version of bridesmaids dresses.

True
That is for damn certain.

Instinctive said:
NCCommish said:
Zow said:
NCCommish said:
True
That is for damn certain.
Says the guy with the scholarships to top ten schools.

I have like 75k in loans to a tier 3 school, #######.

Users who are viewing this thread