What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (5 Viewers)

Divorce question/help for a friend.

friend and spouse are calling it quits. No bad blood, no kids, no house, no stock piles of money to fight over. Just need to get a mutual attorney to file the paperwork. This is in Illinois. How much should this cost and does anyone in Illinois have any recommendations for an attorney(or should they just search Yelp)???

Thanks.

friend and spouse are calling it quits. No bad blood, no kids, no house, no stock piles of money to fight over. Just need to get a mutual attorney to file the paperwork. This is in Illinois. How much should this cost and does anyone in Illinois have any recommendations for an attorney(or should they just search Yelp)???

Thanks.

Thanks.
I had exactly this divorce in Illinois in 2002 and it was $1500. Don't know if that was a good price or not, but I liked the guy well enough. Christo would probably know.

I just spent two ####ing hours building a case to exclude an "expert" from testifying for the defense based on a factual scenario description from the managing partner from my firm who needed emergency help - the "expert" was explained to me as a consulting medical examiner for a governmental entity.

After getting this thing completely nailed down, it turns out that the entire factual basis for everything the managing partner wants to exclude is completely wrong. No government agency was involved, it is a private company. It's not excludable.

####, ####, ####, ####, ####.
Ouch.

Thanks.

Thanks.
I had exactly this divorce in Illinois in 2002 and it was $1500. Don't know if that was a good price or not, but I liked the guy well enough. Christo would probably know.
1500 is cheap.

Settled another "this file takes up and entire file cabinet" case yesterday. Thank god. I need to get that one moving and it actually settled. Whew.

Thanks.

Thanks.
This seems very reasonable to me for doing just the doc prep. Strongly recommend using an attorney over a licensed document preparer. Have had to clean up too many of those on the backend and have had some clients royally screwed by a poorly drafted decree that happened to either omit necessary language or did not contain the proper language which would lead an objective, plain reading of the document to be construed waaaaay against them on a particular issue.

Also, I think I'd be remiss to not note that if you're using the same attorney you really need to be on the same page going in. A conflict could very easily arise if one of you either disagrees with a term or tries to take a position very unfavorable to the attorney - leaving the attorney in the position of having to withdraw and you out your $1500.

Settled another "this file takes up and entire file cabinet" case yesterday. Thank god. I need to get that one moving and it actually settled. Whew.
I just did one this morning. Guy looking at 15 years at trial, which was supposed to take place in three weeks. But, because I did my job uncovering the backstory to the police's stop of the guy and followed a hunch, it turned out the police weren't telling the whole story, a CI was involved, a motion to compel was threatened, and now the case is being dismissed because the state has bigger fish to fry with the CI. Client could have easily gone down for the 15.

Hypothetically speaking, my client's family who hired me may have reacted the following way when I told them: "Great. About time you get him out of there; he was in there way too long [author's note: he had been held in jail for about six months waiting for trial]. Now you need to get us his car back."

Hypothetically speaking, there may still be several thousand still owed on the fee agreement to me as well.

There are some really bad lawyers out there. I just don't know how they do it.

Guy just filed a motion to amend based on "newly discovered facts" and argues to the court there is no possible way they could have learned these facts earlier. In about 45 minutes I went through his document production and found 14 copies of the document he's relying on, all from 3 years ago. Oh, and it's a public record.

Sad thing is that the court will probably grant this POS.

Not a lawyer, but FINALLY got word from the NY State Supreme Court allowing us to move forward with a $2 Billion redevelopment here on Long Island. Talk about a case study in why we need reform, a superfluous lawsuit brought by (literally crazy) residents supported by an even crazier woman from out of town has delayed construction, job creation and all for 18 freakin months!

Wait until the last day (180) to appeal our contract with the municipality and the process whereby it was approved. Summarily dismissed with a very strong verdict in our favor (the fact that the plaintiffs were well documented in calling us out for "ethnic cleansing" for a project that has broad support from the actual community itself). Then, appealed pro se on the last possible day. Finally after waiting for close to a year, we are heard on appeal - the plaintiff (started as three, dropped to one) had to be asked by the judge to essential sit down and shut up, as he rambled on madly for like 20 minutes.

But, almost 60 days later, we are good to go. 18 months of progress delayed, but finally justice came through.

thanks for letting me vent - my company is certainly one of the larger contributors to y'alls cause.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I just did one this morning. Guy looking at 15 years at trial, which was supposed to take place in three weeks. But, because I did my job uncovering the backstory to the police's stop of the guy and followed a hunch, it turned out the police weren't telling the whole story, a CI was involved, a motion to compel was threatened, and now the case is being dismissed because the state has bigger fish to fry with the CI. Client could have easily gone down for the 15.

Hypothetically speaking, my client's family who hired me may have reacted the following way when I told them: "Great. About time you get him out of there; he was in there way too long [author's note: he had been held in jail for about six months waiting for trial]. Now you need to get us his car back."

Hypothetically speaking, there may still be several thousand still owed on the fee agreement to me as well.
15 years...did this guy kill someone? :oldunsure:
Not even close. In fact, there's not even a victim on the crime he's charged with. You're apparently unfamiliar with Arizona's fun criminal statutes and sentencing guidelines.

Congrats, Koya!

What is our "cause"?
$2 Billion dollar redevelopment in the center of Nassau County around a train station and throughout downtown. First phase of 336 rental units will now break ground early next year. A lot of community support and its the largest development project in the region.

Thanks.
I'd do it for $2,500.00.

I apparently won my oral argument this morning. Virtually no memory of what happened.
I'm on my phone, but pretend I posted a link to the will Ferrell clip from old school where he has no recollection of his amazing debate win

Were there obvious things the landlord could have done to prevent the burglary?
Bars on the window they broke to get in would have been a good start. An alarm system would have been nice as well. I'm not an idiot and neither is she; she knew it wasn't in the best neighborhood. I'm trying to get some good insight here, so I'll keep it civil, but the protection these people have built into leases makes me sick. That's why we're going to fight it.
Let's be honest - you're going to fight it because of the snatch.

Koya said:
my company is certainly one of the larger contributors to y'alls cause.
This is what I didn't get. What is "y'alls cause"? Sorry if I'm being dense. What does this mean?

Christo said:

Thanks.
I'd do it for $2,500.00.
I think if I got some dude in 2002 to do it for $1500, Christo in 2014 for $2500 seems like a good deal. :thumbup:

Congrats, Koya!

What is our "cause"?
$2 Billion dollar redevelopment in the center of Nassau County around a train station and throughout downtown. First phase of 336 rental units will now break ground early next year. A lot of community support and its the largest development project in the region.
How much affordable housing in this shiny new project?

Just had a phone conversation that was almost identical (from the other end of the line) to the "oh yeah, well what if I sue you? Sue everybody! Punitive damages!"

It's friday. I'm done dealing with people today. I'm playing here all day.

Congrats, Koya!

What is our "cause"?
Actually, we are trying to get away from the term "affordable" - too many negative connotations tied into fear of the poor, fear of folks with darker skin than the suburbs desire and all that jazz. In addition, we are trying to work out means to provide market rate units without need for subsidy, attainably priced for young professionals and the middle class. That said, in an area where the market for a 1000 sf two bedroom is close to or even over 3,000 a month, there are programs (Low Income Housing Tax Credits) for 60 or 80% of medium income that we will look into.

Long story short, "formally" affordable by program and subsidy will be 10-20%. And, the community, which is a majority minority, economically disadvantaged area, has told us they don't want anymore "low" income housing as there is already far too much in that particular area (and almost none elsewhere in the County other than a few spots).

Lost the motion to amend. Judge found inexcusable neglect and prejudice and possible futility, but said that since there was 6 months to trial I could file a summary judgment motion.

Hate weak rulings like that

Koya said:
Congrats, Koya!

What is our "cause"?
Actually, we are trying to get away from the term "affordable" - too many negative connotations tied into fear of the poor, fear of folks with darker skin than the suburbs desire and all that jazz. In addition, we are trying to work out means to provide market rate units without need for subsidy, attainably priced for young professionals and the middle class. That said, in an area where the market for a 1000 sf two bedroom is close to or even over 3,000 a month, there are programs (Low Income Housing Tax Credits) for 60 or 80% of medium income that we will look into.

Long story short, "formally" affordable by program and subsidy will be 10-20%. And, the community, which is a majority minority, economically disadvantaged area, has told us they don't want anymore "low" income housing as there is already far too much in that particular area (and almost none elsewhere in the County other than a few spots).
Good to see NIMBY has so much crossover appeal. The reason I asked is that's often the reason people sue projects like this. A lack of whatever you call it. As a country we are millions of units short. Ah well congrats on the win and best of luck with the development.

Koya said:
Congrats, Koya!

What is our "cause"?

Good to see NIMBY has so much crossover appeal. The reason I asked is that's often the reason people sue projects like this. A lack of whatever you call it. As a country we are millions of units short. Ah well congrats on the win and best of luck with the development.
We are 0 units short. Artificially inflating housing rates to provide "affordable" housing has screwed up everything in the city.

Koya said:
Congrats, Koya!

What is our "cause"?

We are 0 units short. Artificially inflating housing rates to provide "affordable" housing has screwed up everything in the city.
Actually we are millions short nationwide but this isn't the thread for that argument.

We are so not short it's ridiculous.
Just couldn't let it go.

So lawyerguys please forgive me for the following post but I feel a response is warranted.

America's Emerging Housing CrisisThe current housing recovery may be like manna to homeowners, but it may do little to ease a growing shortage of affordable residences, and could even make it worse. After a recession-generated drought, household formation is on the rise, notes a recent study by the Harvard Joint Center on Housing Studies, and in many markets there isn’t an adequate supply of housing for the working and middle classes.

Given problems with regulations in some states, particularly restrictions on new single-family home development, the uptick in housing prices threatens both prospective owners and renters, forcing people who would otherwise buy into the rental market. Ownership levels continue to drop, most notably for minorities, particularly African Americans. Last year, according to the Harvard study, the number of renters in the U.S. rose by a million, accompanied by a net loss of 161,000 homeowners.

This is bad news not only for middle-income Americans but even more so for the poor and renters. The number of renters now paying upward of 50% of their income for housing has risen by 2.5 million since the recession and 6.7 million over the decade. Roughly one in four renters, notes Harvard, are now in this perilous situation. The number of poor renters is growing, but the supply of new affordable housing has dropped over the past year.

So while the housing recovery — and the prospect of higher prices — does offer some relief to existing homeowners, it’s having a negative impact further down the economic ladder. For the poorest Americans, nearly eight decades of extensive public subsidies have failed to solve their housing crisis. Given the financial straits of most American cities — particularly those like Detroit that need it the most — it’s unlikely the government can rescue households stressed by the cost of shelter.

As one might suspect, the problem is greatest in New York, New Jersey and California, say the Harvard researchers .In those three states 22% of households are paying more than 50% of pre-tax income for housing, while median home values and rents in these states are among the highest in the country. According to the Center for Housing Policy and National Housing Conference, 39% of working households in the Los Angeles metropolitan area spend more than half their income on housing, 35% in the San Francisco metro area and 31% in the New York area. All of these figures are much higher than the national rate of 24%, which itself is far from tolerable.

Other, poorer cities also suffer high rates of housing poverty not because they are so expensive but because their economies are bad. In the most distressed neighborhoods of Baltimore, Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit, where vacancy rates top 20%, about 60% of vacant units are held off market, indicating they are in poor condition and likely a source of blight.

America’s emerging housing crisis is creating widespread hardship. This can be seen in the rise of families doubling up. Moving to flee high costs has emerged as a major trend, particularly among working-class families. For those who remain behind, it’s also a return to the kind of overcrowding we associate with early 20th century tenement living.

As was the case then, overcrowded conditions create poor outcomes for neighborhoods and, most particularly, for children. Overcrowding has been associated with negative consequences in multiple studies, including greater health problems. The lack of safe outside play areas is one contributing factor. Academic achievement was found to suffer in overcrowded conditions in studies by American and French researchers. Another study found a higher rate of psychological problems among children living in overcrowded housing.

This is occurring as a generation of middle-class people — weighed down by a poor economy, inflated housing prices and often high student debt — are being pushed to the margins of the ownership market. There will be some 8 million people entering their 30s in the next decade. Those struggling to move up face rising rents and dismal job prospects. It’s not surprising that a growing number of Americans now believe life will be worse for their children.

How do we meet this problem? How about with a sense of urgency? Not that government can solve the problem, but we should consider trying to encourage the kind of entrepreneurs who in the past created affordable “start up” middle- and working-class housing in places like Levittown (Long Island), Lakewood (Los Angeles) and the Woodlands (Houston). Government policy should look at opportunities to create housing attractive to young families, which includes some intelligent planning around open space, parks and schools.

There’s certainly much that government can stop doing. The drive for “smart growth” is increasingly hostile to the very idea of single-family housing. Instead the emphasis, for example in the newly adopted Bay Area plan, is on high-density housing around transit links and virtual prohibition on single-family housing on the urban fringe, without which much higher housing prices — owned and rental — are inevitable. This may appeal to some — especially those in what historian Robert Bruegmann calls “the incumbent’s club: who are already comfortably housed and benefit financially from policy-induced housing shortages. But for the majority of Americans, including immigrants, who would prefer a single-family home, this is bad news indeed.

The situation is worst in high-regulation states with out-of-whack rent and housing cost inflation. Until the 1970s, housing costs were only a little higher relative to income in metropolitan areas like San Francisco and New York compared to elsewhere in the country, staying within the same ratio of roughly 3 to 1. Then came the anti-growth regulatory regime that has doubled house prices relative to incomes, and even more so in San Francisco and San Jose.

But this is not just a California issue. Other states — Oregon, Washington, Maryland — have adopted similar policies. According to Brookings Institution economist Anthony Downs, the housing affordability problem is rooted in the failure to maintain a “competitive land supply.” Downs notes that more urban growth boundaries can convey monopolistic pricing power on sellers of land if sufficient supply is not available, which, all things being equal, is likely to raise the price of land and housing that is built on it.

Generally speaking, as prices rise, single-family homes become scarcer and rents also rise. The people at the bottom, of course, suffer the most, since the lack of new construction, and the inflated prices for houses, also impacts the rental market. Since 1980, the average house price as reported by the National Association of Realtors has moved in near-lockstep with rents, as reported in the Consumer Price Index, except for the worst years of the housing bubble.

To be sure, this does not mean we should build more of the classic suburbs of the 1980s. There needs to be thought as to how to provide housing for people who live near work, or encourage more people to work at least part-time at home. It is also imperative that policy provides greater opportunity for people to purchase the housing they prefer and that is also affordable. Technology allows for most jobs to disperse, for tremendous opportunity for overall savings for households. Long linear parks — and even some smaller farms — could provide the critical link to nature and recreation that many households seek.

More than anything we need to recognize that we are not building a reasonable future for the next generation by forcing them to work to pay someone else’s mortgage, that of the landlord. This is the opposite of the American dream and certainly doesn’t reflect the future our parents sought, nor is it one we should bequeath to our children.
So yes we are short. It is getting worse and it is going to seriously impact us in many ways. Educationally, trying to relieve poverty, even trying to give young families a place to start out. We are in a spiral of bad policy and it will hurt lots of people.

Koya said:
Congrats, Koya!

What is our "cause"?

Thanks...

Any land use attys here familiar with NYS SEQRA? Much like Calis ceqr its terribly ownerous and just drives supply down and costs up especially in constrsined markets to begin with.

I did apologize in advance.
True.Please, good Sir. Leave the thread.
But please, this is a chance for real people to screw up the legal thread. Gold Jerry!

PS, for what it's worth, on Long Island alone, it's estimated that we are in need of over 100,000 multimaily rentals. That's just on freakin LI. And environmental and land use law and regulation is largely the blame as it prevents the market from working. Hence my question about SEQRA

I submit that there is no feeling in the world like gutting an expert at a deposition after the expert report deadlines have passed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some crazy people found a lawyer who knows nothing about my field of law to sue one of my clients. The carrier (rightly) denied defense because this guy didn't even come near the ballpark of pleading into coverage, so I'm going to defend it. I never get to defend these things, so this will be entertaining.

My 10 year old could have written a better complaint. It's like the guy let his clients write it and then signed it.

Ok lawboys, have a question.

Let's say someone I know has like 7 garbage bags of recycling because they are too lazy to bring it out early AM Monday and things have accumulated. Technically the local city ordinance says you need to recycle.

Fast forward to the wife (of my friend), champion as she is, taking the bull by the horns and loading said 7 Bags into husbands truck. Intent is that the NEXTEL day husband should bring the bags to town recycling.

Husband has no desire to truck around stinky ### old bags of mostly lixx bottles (my friend and his wife do know how to party.... Like an alcoholic). Finds a commercial trash bin and chucks the bags in.

Wife thinks this is a "jail-able" and criminal offense for "littering" - husband says you crazy, woman! She stares local statute re recycling and the tossing of the bags into someone else's receptocal.

Now, I certainly don't approve of my friends abhorrent behavior, just don't see this rising to "crime" MAYBE some civil issue using someone else's trash bin.

So, how many years in Federal pound me in the ### prison will my friend get? I'll hang up and listen.

That's exactly what I told her. This is hardly a felony offense. And so worth getting rid of those smelly ### recycle bags.... said my friend, of course.

Seriously, wtf do we all pay you 250-500 an hr (and in some cases twice that much?).

:coffee:

That's exactly what I told her. This is hardly a felony offense. And so worth getting rid of those smelly ### recycle bags.... said my friend, of course.

Seriously, wtf do we all pay you 250-500 an hr (and in some cases twice that much?).

:coffee:
Because you are a criminal. No one would believe your argument.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread