What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (7 Viewers)

Seems like as good a place as any to ask this.

In Texas, my FIL recently passed away and is survived by his wife. Evidently he had one bank account that did not have both of their names on it, just his. The bank is not wanting to release anything to his wife, even account information, unless she provides Letters of Testementary. This seems silly to me. Lawyer says that filing all of this will run about two racks.

Does this sound reasonable? What happens when someone doesn't have the money for that, does the bank just get to keep the money?
It's tough to give you a full answer without a little more information (and I'm not a T&E) guy. But if your FIL dies and has an account on which his wife is not a co-owner (i.e. its not a joint tenancy account), then that account becomes a part of his estate. Which means the account would go through probate and be devised according to his will or by the state probate laws if he died intestate.

It might seem silly, but some spouses deliberately keep separate accounts and might want those assets to pass down different ways. I'd want to know if the 2K is to handle the entire probate proceeding, or if it's just to send something to the bank.
Thanks. This is good info.

With conflict waivers, I'm proposing to represent both sides on the Eminence matter.
:lol:

I haven't really ventured into that thread. Synopsis?
Imagine a twelve-year-old starting his own business while attending middle school.

Now take that twelve-year-old, put him in the body of an 18-year-old, tell him he's 22, feed him full of booze and weed, give him a job at Walgreens and a 3.0 at an online community college, and keep telling him he's your precious little entrepreneur.

Now imagine the attitude that kid has toward life, advice, and his own legacy in the world.

With conflict waivers, I'm proposing to represent both sides on the Eminence matter.

Eminence started a thread. It's many pages. He now wants it deleted. He's free to delete his own posts, but not to have other people's posts deleted. That's not satisfactory to him, and he's considering legal action.

Imagine a twelve-year-old starting his own business while attending middle school.

Now take that twelve-year-old, put him in the body of an 18-year-old, tell him he's 22, feed him full of booze and weed, give him a job at Walgreens and a 3.0 at an online community college, and keep telling him he's your precious little entrepreneur.

Now imagine the attitude that kid has toward life, advice, and his own legacy in the world.
I bet he becomes a lawyer.

I guess there's a law school that will take anyone.

I guess there's a law school that will take anyone.
More than one obviously

Just a word of caution, because I'm becoming a worrier in my old age. I'm not sure I would be comfortable airing details of active representations here. This place every so often intersects with the real world...
That's fair, and I appreciate the thought.
Arizona actually has an ethics opinion on this that I read a few years ago (because I'm a member of a criminal defense association here which has a brainstorming-type message board). IIRC the key is to keep the details vague enough that the average reader could not easily identify the actual case if he went looking for it. I think the issue for something like this board though is that we're crossing jurisdictional lines and it may be unethical to take "advice" on an actual case from someone not licensed in your jurisdiction.
Trust me, I will not be using the argument, "because Zow" said so in any pleading or letter.
I'd certainly hope not, but I think Otis's point rings true here because there is the unlikely but not impossible scenario where someone connects you to this message board (admittedly unlikely) and decides to scan it after a particular case of yours (more unlikely) and discovers that the argument you used to win a particular motion or whatever was actually crafted brilliantly by some guy named Zow (even more incredibly unlikely). That could get hairy.
I'd be more concerned about the information posted being confidential, or a reflection of work product. It's not the fact that others are giving constructive ideas that would worry me, but the disclosure should someone (like an opponent) every connect the dots. A legal profession wheelhousing would suck.

This brings up my pet peeve with firms that: a) want you to help establish a "blogging presence"; and then b) don't want you to write anything interesting.

At my last firm, we probably had a meeting every two months or so about starting up a blog, but it always came down to, "why don't you just summarize new cases out of the area." And my answer was always because I don't read those types of blogs and I don't think anyone else does either. I can read cases myself. The only legal blogs I read are more substantive (like Patently Obvious, SCOTUSBlog, or Volokh).
I get the daily email. Great blog.

"Yeah, I got the lawyer off a message board. He's VERY familiar with men's body hair removal and waxing, so I think we'll settle this one soon"

Just a word of caution, because I'm becoming a worrier in my old age. I'm not sure I would be comfortable airing details of active representations here. This place every so often intersects with the real world...
Arizona actually has an ethics opinion on this that I read a few years ago (because I'm a member of a criminal defense association here which has a brainstorming-type message board). IIRC the key is to keep the details vague enough that the average reader could not easily identify the actual case if he went looking for it. I think the issue for something like this board though is that we're crossing jurisdictional lines and it may be unethical to take "advice" on an actual case from someone not licensed in your jurisdiction.
Trust me, I will not be using the argument, "because Zow" said so in any pleading or letter.
I'd certainly hope not, but I think Otis's point rings true here because there is the unlikely but not impossible scenario where someone connects you to this message board (admittedly unlikely) and decides to scan it after a particular case of yours (more unlikely) and discovers that the argument you used to win a particular motion or whatever was actually crafted brilliantly by some guy named Zow (even more incredibly unlikely). That could get hairy.
I'd be more concerned about the information posted being confidential, or a reflection of work product. It's not the fact that others are giving constructive ideas that would worry me, but the disclosure should someone (like an opponent) every connect the dots. A legal profession wheelhousing would suck.
I often feel like there's a whole vocabulary I'm unfamiliar with. New York thing, or this board?

I often feel like there's a whole vocabulary I'm unfamiliar with. New York thing, or this board?
You really are new here.

Actually this may be in the FAQ. No shtick.

You really are new here.

Actually this may be in the FAQ. No shtick.
I seriously check every time I see something like this. No wheelhouse in the FAQ. Also no onslaught, which someone's currently torturing me with in another thread.

wheelhouse: former poster known for creating idiotic threads.

at one point posted events from his personal life, but gave enough detail that someone who had too much time to burn searched up the real life people involved and made contact with them. this is wheelhousing.

onslaught is harder. I'd start with Rubinov's primer to provide a good explanation of the basics, but just be aware that most of his stuff got exposed as too limited at Munich '94.

My lawyer gig is instituting work-at-home days 3 days a week at the beginning of April. So, theoretically, I will only have to go into the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Not bad.

Henry Ford said:
Ned Ryerson said:
Interesting scenario- curious what the group thinks about this-

7 or 8 years ago I represented a law firm on an IP matter, really just a series of letters, nothing came of it. It was a one off thing, and I never heard from them again.

Cut to earlier this week, and I hear from a longstanding client who received a threat letter on an entirely unrelated matter from this same law firm acting on behalf of its client.

No conflict in representing my longstanding client here, right?
I wouldn't be terribly concerned, but I'd remind the law firm who I am with a phone call before writing any letters. Something like "Hey, Jim, it's me Ned. I represented your firm on an IP matter many years ago. Listen, I have this longstanding client who received a letter from your firm..."
I agree I would go this route.
:goodposting:

Act above board - if you conceal it it looks like you know you're wrong to take the case.

at one point posted events from his personal life, but gave enough detail that someone who had too much time to burn searched up the real life people involved and made contact with them. this is wheelhousing.
Way to make a really juicy story sound really boring, Shakespeare.

Way to make a really juicy story sound really boring, Shakespeare.
what's your favorite kind of bread?

onslaught is harder. I'd start with Rubinov's primer to provide a good explanation of the basics, but just be aware that most of his stuff got exposed as too limited at Munich '94.
I can't explain how frustrated and angry made-up things like this make me. When I don't understand something, I can't stop thinking about it. Even when it's not an actual thing that can be understood.

Henry Ford said:
-fish- said:
I can't explain how frustrated and angry made-up things like this make me. When I don't understand something, I can't stop thinking about it. Even when it's not an actual thing that can be understood.
Urge you to go back and read up on some of the onslaught threads here. Covered pretty extensively. You'll get it if you look long enough.

Henry Ford said:
-fish- said:
Urge you to go back and read up on some of the onslaught threads here. Covered pretty extensively. You'll get it if you look long enough.
Reading some of the old threads is fine as a basic primer, but the only way to make any real headway learning onslaught is to jump right in and start playing. Try a few different mobilization strategies and see if you can balance your overqueues. It's okay if your vulnerability quotient seems high at first. Just play around with it and have fun. You're not going to get a feel for it just by reading; you need live experience.

Henry Ford said:
-fish- said:
Reading some of the old threads is fine as a basic primer, but the only way to make any real headway learning onslaught is to jump right in and start playing. Try a few different mobilization strategies and see if you can balance your overqueues. It's okay if your vulnerability quotient seems high at first. Just play around with it and have fun. You're not going to get a feel for it just by reading; you need live experience.
This is actually great advice. No surprise; Maurile has always been one of the players here I've respected most. Would love to mimic some of your game.

Henry Ford said:
-fish- said:
You realize that my crazy mind is now going to create a nonexistent game with its own rules around these things, right?

Who do I summons? Bryant, Trembley, or Rudnicki?
I haven't followed any of your other work here, and no offense meant, but that "homies" list really sucks.

Also it really bugs me that the first four have periods after their names and the fifth doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
There arent any real estate lawyers here though are there? RE lawyers bug the #### out of me. I can't count the number of times I had a deal about to be signed, eagerly waiting for a big fat commission, and some dumb #### RE lawyer jumps in and screws everything up.
:waves:

I haven't followed any of your other work here, and no offense meant, but that "homies" list really sucks.

Also it really bugs me that the first four have periods after their names and the fifth doesn't.
...and who exactly are you?:rofl:
She's significantly more important, impressive, and accomplished than you are ever likely to be. Or, frankly, than I am ever likely to be.

...and who exactly are you?:rofl:
She's significantly more important, impressive, and accomplished than you are ever likely to be. Or, frankly, than I am ever likely to be.
:blush:

Baliff's Orders

Eminence, GTFO.

Henry Ford, hands to yourself. Mr. Krista knows how to use knives and ####.

Zow, I'm this close to being ordered by the judge to toss you out of courst for contempt for ####### around on your tablet.

Eminence said:
And evidently a crappy human being for randomly taking a stab at me.
So much wrong in so few words. krista4 is awesome. The stab was non-random. And it was less at you than at those on your homies list.

Eminence said:
So much wrong in so few words. krista4 is awesome. The stab was non-random. And it was less at you than at those on your homies list.
So despite the fact that I was having no direct conversation with her and that this thread is about lawyers, none of what she did was random. Okie.

Edit: Seemed like somebody trying to get a rub off my popularity. Maybe I'm wrong though, either way comment NOT appreciated by her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eminence said:
So despite the fact that I was having no direct conversation with her and that this thread is about lawyers, none of what she did was random. Okie.

Edit: Seemed like somebody trying to get a rub off my popularity. Maybe I'm wrong though, either way comment NOT appreciated by her.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This reminds me of Netboy Reid.

Users who are viewing this thread