What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA HOOPS THREAD! -- K petitions to get Maui Jim Maui Invitational moved to Transylvania (1 Viewer)

Who is worse?

• Total voters
Just in case anybody missed it, David Laury was Player of the Year in the MAAC...or at least that's what the announcer has said 4,368 times so far tonight.

Anyone here ever done a Calcutta pool for the NCAA tournament? I've always been interested in trying one. Would love to know what percentage of the pot you would need to pay to get Kentucky.

St. Francis falls just short in it bid for its first tourney appearance ever. Down by 3 with time running out, Tyreek Jewell is fouled shooting a 3. But he clangs the first 2 free throws, then does not hit the rim on the intentional miss. Not a fun way to end his college career.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone watching North Dakota State v South Dakota State? Trying to figure out the chances of either of them winning an NCAA Tournament game.
Sdsu - 0%?

Ndsu seems to run the exact same offensive play every time and I'm not sure how that could be effective against a top team. Both teams so offensively challenged tonight (like gb and valpo, also.)

Anyone watching North Dakota State v South Dakota State? Trying to figure out the chances of either of them winning an NCAA Tournament game.
Sdsu - 0%?

Ndsu seems to run the exact same offensive play every time and I'm not sure how that could be effective against a top team. Both teams so offensively challenged tonight (like gb and valpo, also.)
Valpo at least has a couple of play makers and plays great defense, but yeah the lack of offense for both are going to make it tough for them to advance.

Most Overrated Teams: Gonzaga, Virginia, Kentucky

Zags have a history of entering the tourney overrated. Road "close loss" to AZ was at a time when AZ's chemistry was off. Va's limitations on offense will prevent the Cavaliers from making a deep run. Kentucky is everybody's darling but I would fade them if they played against most of the top 7 BPI teams...offense can struggle and I'm not impressed with the SEC.

Most Underrated Teams: Oregon, LSU

Oregon has been a different team the second half of the season and Altman can flat out coach. LSU showed they can play with anybody when they played Kentucky.

Teams that can beat Kentucky: Arizona, Wisconsin

Arizona has NBA length/athleticism and strong depth like Kentucky, but AZ has what Kentucky lacks which is a true floor general. With four NBA prospects, an AZ team that is peaking at the right time is not a team to taken lightly. Wisconsin has been consistent, but doesn't get the press because of their relative lack of flash. Wiscy beat an NBA talented AZ team and played with Kentucky last year...and this year they are better.

I think it would take something fairly extraordinary for Kentucky to lose. I may still bet against them here and there, but man that team is really good.

I think it would take something fairly extraordinary for Kentucky to lose. I may still bet against them here and there, but man that team is really good.
I'm definitely in the minority here as the public/media/experts/pundits are all on the Kentucky train this year. But here are a few things that give me pause.

1) Offense seems to rely on defense and the offense can sputter in the halfcourt. Also, I think their depth hurts their chemistry on offense at times, despite their Kenpom efficiency score(which is boosted by easy transition points).

2) All of their top OOC wins are unimpressive to me. Kansas, Texas, Louisville(when Louisville wasn't playing well)...I'd feel a lot better if they had a single win against a top 10 team that I respect.

Louisville was undefeated when they played Kentucky and was the first team to give UK a real game.

LSU lost to Mizzou and Mississippi State. Will either of those two get CBI bids?

I'll be surprised if Oregon wins an NCAA Tournament game. Their KenPom AdjD rating is 100.0 and they didn't play that tough a schedule.

Wisconsin gets all kinds of press. The media adores Bo Ryan, and Frank Kaminsky is probably going to win the Naismith.

UL was unbeaten when UK beat them, they'd come off a 25 point win over Northridge in their last game. They also won their next 3 games.

KU is a tier below the teams that are a team below UK, but Kentucky completely dismantled them. Texas was closer, but UK still won by 12. 12 point wins against texases or unc's are still impressive wins.

Eta: and you cannot beat who you do not play. Not saying uk is invincible, but they are the best team.

Louisville was undefeated when they played Kentucky and was the first team to give UK a real game.

LSU lost to Mizzou and Mississippi State. Will either of those two get CBI bids?

I'll be surprised if Oregon wins an NCAA Tournament game. Their KenPom AdjD rating is 100.0 and they didn't play that tough a schedule.
LSU is up and down, they can play with anybody and lose to anybody IMHO.

Be careful paying too much attention to advanced metrics on Oregon, really a different team the second half of the season.

In terms of game theory, does it make sense to leave uk out of the finals in a straight bracket? The 2nd best team on the uk side losing to the best team from the other side?

In terms of game theory, does it make sense to leave uk out of the finals in a straight bracket? The 2nd best team on the uk side losing to the best team from the other side?
In the bracket pool the size of TJ's? Yes.

The UK fans here have said the vulnerable spot in the tournament schedule is the national semifinals. That's gonna be a game against a really good team with almost a week to prepare. UK is too fast and deep to lose on the second game of the weekend against a coach with one day of dedicated prep.

In a standard-size office pool, I don't know if it will make a difference.

LSU is up and down, they can play with anybody and lose to anybody IMHO.

Be careful paying too much attention to advanced metrics on Oregon, really a different team the second half of the season.
Surface view is a nice home win over Utah, some wins over NIT teams, some games against sub-.500 teams in conference (or overall) that weren't taxing, an uninspiring loss at UCLA, and getting prison-raped at Arizona. What are we missing?

Sdsu - 0%?Ndsu seems to run the exact same offensive play every time and I'm not sure how that could be effective against a top team. Both teams so offensively challenged tonight (like gb and valpo, also.)
Valpo at least has a couple of play makers and plays great defense, but yeah the lack of offense for both are going to make it tough for them to advance.
Thanks, guys!

I guess we'll have to see if NDSU's opponent is vulnerable defensively to 20 seconds of dribble-handoffs around the perimeter every trip down the court. Lafayette (in the Patriot finals tomorrow night against American) is pretty much the same story - weave three guys around the perimeter with the bigs setting picks, hope a shooter gets open.

Most Overrated Teams: Gonzaga, Virginia, Kentucky

Zags have a history of entering the tourney overrated. Road "close loss" to AZ was at a time when AZ's chemistry was off. Va's limitations on offense will prevent the Cavaliers from making a deep run. Kentucky is everybody's darling but I would fade them if they played against most of the top 7 BPI teams...offense can struggle and I'm not impressed with the SEC.

Most Underrated Teams: Oregon, LSU

Oregon has been a different team the second half of the season and Altman can flat out coach. LSU showed they can play with anybody when they played Kentucky.

Teams that can beat Kentucky: Arizona, Wisconsin

Arizona has NBA length/athleticism and strong depth like Kentucky, but AZ has what Kentucky lacks which is a true floor general. With four NBA prospects, an AZ team that is peaking at the right time is not a team to taken lightly. Wisconsin has been consistent, but doesn't get the press because of their relative lack of flash. Wiscy beat an NBA talented AZ team and played with Kentucky last year...and this year they are better.
I am going to go out on a limb and suggest you have not seen Kentucky play much this year, and certainly not in the last month. It's going to take an extraordinary effort to beat Kentucky, and there are a number of teams that could beat UK, but the reasons you list above are poorly thought out. Harrison and Ulis both have shown great leadership at the point over the last month or so, and while I am sure teams are better than last season, UK is significantly better, with several players capable of putting in MVP-caliber performance every night - Towns, Harrisons, Lyles, Booker, Cauley-Stein, Ulis

Didnt realize gonzaga has had all of the same players all this time.
in TripItUp's defense, it seems like Kevin Pangos has been around long enough to have played with Ronny Turiaf and Adam Morrison at Gonzaga, and might have been a bench player for the Canadian national team when Bill Wennington was the captain.

Some PGs just keep hanging around, like how Aaron Craft's freshman year at Ohio State seems like it was with Jim Jackson and Lawrence Funderburke.

As conferences grow larger, does it make sense for every team to be in the conference tourney?
Conference goal is to make money, so yes. For the fans it sucks, but we don't really matter.
I was thinking though that it could hurt the teams though. Teams could lose out on better seeds because of a dumb conference tournament loss.

Didn't the Big East used to limit it's conference tourney a few years back?

As conferences grow larger, does it make sense for every team to be in the conference tourney?
Conference goal is to make money, so yes. For the fans it sucks, but we don't really matter.
I was thinking though that it could hurt the teams though. Teams could lose out on better seeds because of a dumb conference tournament loss.

Didn't the Big East used to limit it's conference tourney a few years back?
Doubt the conferences care about this....the really early games are against crap teams who probably aren't in the hunt anyway.

Why does it suck? I love this time of the year. I follow every single conference game. No joke. Every one.
Oh I love watching the games don't get me wrong. I was just thinking if they would limit games to help their teams get better seeds, that's all.

Why does it suck? I love this time of the year. I follow every single conference game. No joke. Every one.
Not a big fan of bad basketball and that's exactly what we have in these big conferences on the first day. Like yesterday VaTech vs WFU and GT vs BC. The play was terrible, but I watched every second of the VaTech/WFU game :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread