What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA HOOPS THREAD! -- K petitions to get Maui Jim Maui Invitational moved to Transylvania (2 Viewers)

Who is worse?

• Total voters
As conferences grow larger, does it make sense for every team to be in the conference tourney?
Conference goal is to make money, so yes. For the fans it sucks, but we don't really matter.
Why does it suck? I love this time of the year. I follow every single conference game. No joke. Every one.
Not a big fan of bad basketball and that's exactly what we have in these big conferences on the first day. Like yesterday VaTech vs WFU and GT vs BC. The play was terrible, but I watched every second of the VaTech/WFU game :bag:
See, I don't need it to be perfect basketball. I enjoy watching teams play, no matter what their skill set. Some of my favorite games to watch are the smaller conference games, just because it makes me appreciate the big schools level of play even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
As conferences grow larger, does it make sense for every team to be in the conference tourney?
Conference goal is to make money, so yes. For the fans it sucks, but we don't really matter.
Why does it suck? I love this time of the year. I follow every single conference game. No joke. Every one.
Not a big fan of bad basketball and that's exactly what we have in these big conferences on the first day. Like yesterday VaTech vs WFU and GT vs BC. The play was terrible, but I watched every second of the VaTech/WFU game :bag:
See, I don't need it to be perfect basketball. I enjoy watching teams play, no matter what their skill set. Some of my favorite games to watch are the smaller conference games, just because it makes me appreciate the big schools level of play even more.
To each his own GB....one of my favorite teams to watch in the entire country is Davidson because of the way they play the game. I really like them to do well if they get the right match ups.

To each his own GB....one of my favorite teams to watch in the entire country is Davidson because of the way they play the game. I really like them to do well if they get the right match ups.
Agree totally. The only time I get bothered by other opinions is when it's fans of the NBA saying they need to "fix" college basketball because it's unwatchable. I hate the NBA. And college basketball is my favorite sport to watch. I fear that one day they will ruin college basketball in hopes of turning it into the NBA. I feel that time coming soon. :(

I do not support letting every team into the conference tourneys. There is already too large a break from the end of some of the tourneys to the beginning of the NCAAs and this would just make it longer.

Agree totally. The only time I get bothered by other opinions is when it's fans of the NBA saying they need to "fix" college basketball because it's unwatchable. I hate the NBA. And college basketball is my favorite sport to watch. I fear that one day they will ruin college basketball in hopes of turning it into the NBA. I feel that time coming soon. :(
Completely separate them and we don't have to worry about it. Either side can do it. The NBA could allow players directly out of high school or CBB could say "if you want to come to college, you'll be here three years".

FYI: Christian Laettner is doing a Reddit AMA tomorrow morning.

He's invited his fans and 'haters' alike to join him.

Event is to publicize the new 30 For 30 documentary "I Hate Christian Laettner", which premieres this Sunday night on ESPN.

Event is to publicize the new 30 For 30 documentary "I Hate Christian Laettner", which premieres this Sunday night on ESPN.
I think I hate Laettner too much to watch it...
That's fair.Much of my Laettner dislike came later as a Timberwolves fan in the 1990s. Finishing third in that draft lottery, missing out on Shaq and Mourning, and settling for Laettner stung a little.

I think I hate Laettner too much to watch it...
That's fair.Much of my Laettner dislike came later as a Timberwolves fan in the 1990s. Finishing third in that draft lottery, missing out on Shaq and Mourning, and settling for Laettner stung a little.
alkdjf;asfkgh;asdogi

What happened to Pitt? We used to have to be hours into the big tournament before their season would come to an end.

No one here cares, but the Charlotte 49ers are at a crossroads. It's been a decade since making it to the post season. It's probably time for the coach to go. What makes things tough is he's a sick man. He was on four months of medical leave for a very aggressive form of glaucoma. Then took an indefinite leave in January. I'm assuming for the same reasons. He's a great tactician but lacks in the salesman department. That's what Charlotte needs. He wasn't there on senior night and it was the buzz of the building. Some think he's on his way out and are looking at possible replacements. Sad situation all around. It's not the most storied program in CBB, but they have some history. Hopefully they can right the ship and get going in the right direction again.

No one here cares, but the Charlotte 49ers are at a crossroads. It's been a decade since making it to the post season. It's probably time for the coach to go. What makes things tough is he's a sick man. He was on four months of medical leave for a very aggressive form of glaucoma. Then took an indefinite leave in January. I'm assuming for the same reasons. He's a great tactician but lacks in the salesman department. That's what Charlotte needs. He wasn't there on senior night and it was the buzz of the building. Some think he's on his way out and are looking at possible replacements. Sad situation all around. It's not the most storied program in CBB, but they have some history. Hopefully they can right the ship and get going in the right direction again.
I remember back in the day when they used to be a pretty tough program. I think they went by UNC-Charlotte then? Or something like that? As a Cincinnati fan, I remember many good battles between those two teams in the early years of Conference USA.

Or, my memory is really bad and I just made that whole thing up. I seriously don't know anymore. :shrug:

I remember back in the day when they used to be a pretty tough program. I think they went by UNC-Charlotte then? Or something like that? As a Cincinnati fan, I remember many good battles between those two teams in the early years of Conference USA.

Or, my memory is really bad and I just made that whole thing up. I seriously don't know anymore. :shrug:
Yes, Charlotte used to be known as UNC-Charlotte. Cornbread Maxwell, DeMarco Johnson, Rodney White... same school.

:boxing: Never been to more fun games than the Cincy and Louisville games. The crowd would destroy Huggins. They were always sold out, no matter where the game was being played (on campus or at one of the local arenas). For all intents and purposes it's still UNC-Charlotte or UNCC, but for sports they just wanted to be known as "Charlotte"...partly because they wanted their own identity and partly because they thought it was a big middle finger to UNC for dodging them year after year.

:boxing: Never been to more fun games than the Cincy and Louisville games. The crowd would destroy Huggins. They were always sold out, no matter where the game was being played (on campus or at one of the local arenas). For all intents and purposes it's still UNC-Charlotte or UNCC, but for sports they just wanted to be known as "Charlotte"...partly because they wanted their own identity and partly because they thought it was a big middle finger to UNC for dodging them year after year.
I love Huggins.

Should never have gotten rid of Lutz.

Should never have gotten rid of Lutz.
:goodposting:

Please tell me they call their gym 'The Web'

Charlotte? Never heard that before. Halton Arena is the name of it and what we call it.

Baylor likely locked up a 3-seed with the win over West Virginia. Final score is deceptive - game was +/- 4 points most of the way with several lead changes. Wouldn't have guessed a Scott Drew team would hold firm in crunch time while a Bob Huggins team fell apart, but here we are. Better matchup for KU tomorrow if they win, though.

Perry Ellis won't play today. Hasn't been ruled out for tomorrow. No Cliff Alexander as his improper benefits investigation continues. Brannen Greene is dressed but won't start.

The Adidas "Made In March" uniforms looked better on the rack than they do on the players. These home whites look like the guys are all wearing baggy and saggy white shorts pulled down to expose the blue boxers underneath.

My LaSalle Explorers prolonged their season by a day by somehow getting past UMass. They'll get destroyed by Davidson tomorrow.

I'll miss Steve Zack. Dude's gone from being a big oaf to being a decent college big man. Still isn't athletic enough to play in the NBA but he's improved his game enough to get a call in Europe I guess.

Bracket managers - anything interesting you guys do with scoring?

Currently on CBS. We have done the straight 1,2,4,8,16,32 points per round. Anybody mess with adding/multiplying seed?

With UK such a heavy favorite might go to a scoring system that favors teh early rounds more like 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 1,2,4,8,12,16

Charlotte? Never heard that before. Halton Arena is the name of it and what we call it.
Charlotte's Web... ahhh nevermind

My LaSalle Explorers prolonged their season by a day by somehow getting past UMass. They'll get destroyed by Davidson tomorrow.

I'll miss Steve Zack. Dude's gone from being a big oaf to being a decent college big man. Still isn't athletic enough to play in the NBA but he's improved his game enough to get a call in Europe I guess.
I saw LaSalle play opening weekend a couple years ago in KC, when they upset K-State and then beat Ole Miss to go to the Sweet 16. They were fun to watch - played hard, had a guard who couldn't miss in either first half. Their fans were great, too - much louder than their numbers, much more interested in cheering for their team than trying to start up #### with fans from other schools. In their weekend game, the neutral crowd turned on Ole Miss's Marshall Henderson and cheered for LaSalle.

GL against Davidson tomorrow. That's a tall order.

VCU in a dogfight with Fordham and A-10 rookie of the year Eric Paschall. Talented guard Jon Severe, who has had an embattled campaign, appears to be ready to play today.

Last edited by a moderator:

If they can figure out a way to get the ball into Zack more,he will be a problem. He was guaranteed the few times that he got the ball in the regular-season match-up.

Currently on CBS. We have done the straight 1,2,4,8,16,32 points per round. Anybody mess with adding/multiplying seed?

With UK such a heavy favorite might go to a scoring system that favors teh early rounds more like 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 1,2,4,8,12,16
We've always done 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 to at lesson the need to get the national champion correct. I don't think we've ever had anyone win first who didn't get that right, but I know we've had people money who got it wrong.

I like 1,2,3,5,8,13 to give more juice to early round picks while still rewarding folks who pick the games deep in the tournament right.

Haven't experimented with giving bonuses for correctly picking weak seeds to advance in a straight bracket format.

A fun side pool is a "Points Pool" where each entrant picks eight teams in the field (no draft, if everyone wants UK they get UK) and scored by the total number of points their teams score in the tournament, plus a one-time "seed bonus" where you add up all the seeds in the entry and multiply that number by 10.

My favorite NCAA pool is where everyone submits their champion, runner-up, Final Four, 8, 16, 32, and 64 at the end of January without regard for seeds or brackets. Then score the results like a bracket pool, but include a scoring round for how many of the 64 entries get right. Before the days of Joe Lunardi and BracketMatrix it was tougher to get information on how the one-bid conferences were leaning - some of the entries would punt trying to guess the winner of the MEAC and Big South and get in a couple more guesses for power conference at-large bid contenders. And then there's great shtick when the brackets come out and couple of guys have three of their Final Four bracketed in the same region.

Users who are viewing this thread