What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA HOOPS THREAD! -- K petitions to get Maui Jim Maui Invitational moved to Transylvania (2 Viewers)

Who is worse?

• Total voters
Uruk-Hai said:
It's not like Calipari gets every good HS player and the rest get dregs. He has no advantage over any other program. Either coach better or recruit better.
I love Calipari and what he's doing, but he most certainly has an advantage over every other program. His name is William Wesley, and there's only one of him. Every program can't befriend him and derive the perceived ties to the NBA and very real recruiting benefits that result. It doesn't bother me and it's not unfair, but it's not like Wisconsin can just cozy up to Wes and then sit back and watch the McDonald's All-Americans come calling.

Uruk-Hai said:
It's not like Calipari gets every good HS player and the rest get dregs. He has no advantage over any other program. Either coach better or recruit better.
I love Calipari and what he's doing, but he most certainly has an advantage over every other program. His name is William Wesley, and there's only one of him. Every program can't befriend him and derive the perceived ties to the NBA and very real recruiting benefits that result. It doesn't bother me and it's not unfair, but it's not like Wisconsin can just cozy up to Wes and then sit back and watch the McDonald's All-Americans come calling.
Everybody has a price. He does too. Offer him more than Cal does.

Uruk-Hai said:
If that's what is going on then Calipari and other programs do have advantages over other programs, because some programs have greater financial resources than others. Which, again, is fine with me. I'm saying that Calipari does indeed have an inherent advantage over other programs that can't simply be made up by coaching or recruiting better. I don't mind that he has that advantage, other than wishing that my favorite team had it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uruk-Hai said:
Long Ball Larry said:
And Davidson's poise cannot be understated. Granted, their defense is average at best and size is a problem, but they never get overwhelmed and they never, ever, ever, ever give up.

They had timeouts left when they got the ball for that last possession. But McKillop trusts his sophomore captain, A-10 POY Kalinoski, as well as Sullivan. There was a big piece in the CHarlotte N & O a couple days ago about McKillop. It talked about how little he actually does during the game play, a stark contrast to some of these micro-managers in the NCAA today. They teach "principles, not plays". Gibbs, Sullivan and Kalinoski knew exactly what they needed to do.
They almost took the ball too far away from the basket too deep in the clock
good nitpicking!

(sorry if the homerism is too much. just the most exciting Davidson basketball full season for me ever.)

Uruk-Hai said:
Yep

But what I meant was, and I'm sure TF knows it, was that Calipari isn't playing by a different set of rules than everyone else.

And, Jesus, it's not like UK is winning every year. They last won, when? 2012? In my lifetime, UCLA won 10 in 12 years. Indiana won 3 times in 11. I had to watch ####### Duke win back to back (then UNC win the next one :puke: ).

Uruk-Hai said:
Long Ball Larry said:
And Davidson's poise cannot be understated. Granted, their defense is average at best and size is a problem, but they never get overwhelmed and they never, ever, ever, ever give up.

They had timeouts left when they got the ball for that last possession. But McKillop trusts his sophomore captain, A-10 POY Kalinoski, as well as Sullivan. There was a big piece in the CHarlotte N & O a couple days ago about McKillop. It talked about how little he actually does during the game play, a stark contrast to some of these micro-managers in the NCAA today. They teach "principles, not plays". Gibbs, Sullivan and Kalinoski knew exactly what they needed to do.
They almost took the ball too far away from the basket too deep in the clock
good nitpicking!

(sorry if the homerism is too much. just the most exciting Davidson basketball full season for me ever.)
Wasn't meant to be a nitpick. Just the fan in me saying "you're going the wrong way!"

Uruk-Hai said:
Yep

But what I meant was, and I'm sure TF knows it, was that Calipari isn't playing by a different set of rules than everyone else.

And, Jesus, it's not like UK is winning every year. They last won, when? 2012? In my lifetime, UCLA won 10 in 12 years. Indiana won 3 times in 11. I had to watch ####### Duke win back to back (then UNC win the next one :puke: ).
Not a different set of official rules, but a unique advantage that isn't available to others.

Anyway, I love what he does and how his first priority is the kids and enabling them to have successful careers at the next level instead of making it about himself and his program. That's what college employees are supposed to be about. Plus like you say, it's not like this is some historical dominance. It's a risky proposition every year as far as success at the college level if concerned. Usually it works to varying degrees, but sometimes it fails spectacularly and you have to hear about Robert Morris for the rest of your life.

Agree with a lot of the commentary on sports talk today...Kentucky isn't as dominant as many have been implying or stating.

Rico Gathers Sr. getting a little frustrated by Baylor's scoring drought in the second half with the Flagrant 1 on Traylor.

NFL scouts were impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buffalo leads Akron 33-32 at the half in the MAC semis. Winner to play Central Michigan in the final tomorrow.

UB looking very undisciplined. Conference POY Justin Moss in foul trouble with just 1 point at the break. Evans and Bearden leading the way but some brutal decision-making. Evans 3/9 and Skeete 1/5 from the field in the first half.

Looks like it could be another MAC tourney one-and-done if they don't step it up in the second half.

Akron goes cold down the stretch and the Bulls close it out, 68-59. Buffalo vs. Central Michigan tomorrow night on ESPN2 for the MAC title. See you fellas there.

Users who are viewing this thread