What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA HOOPS THREAD! -- K petitions to get Maui Jim Maui Invitational moved to Transylvania (2 Viewers)

Who is worse?

• Total voters
. Biggest heartbreak during that era was something few folks know - Al Jefferson was committed and ready to roll, but chose to go pro after being drafted by the Celtics. Putting him in the mix, who knows? Hogs went to 3 straight Tournaments with that group, and were a known commodity again.
I'll take that heartbreak and raise you one from a few years prior. Arkansas made a long shot run to the SEC title in 2000. They lost on a buzzer beater to Georgetown, that would probably be overturned today by going back to check the replay, in the 7/10 game. No big deal, right? Teams lose on questionable calls all the time. Except the number 2 seed in that region was Iowa St. They lost to Hampton. Arkansas was a fraction of a second from the Sweet 16.

If Georgetown doesn't make the shot (or arguably, if the refs get the call right), Nolan doesn't get pestered about getting fired. He doesn't blow up at the press conference. He doesn't get fired. Nolan and Anderson had recruited Andre Iguodala and a bunch of the kids that Anderson took to the Sweet 16 at UAB. If that shot turns out different, the Lost Decade and a Half never happens.

. Biggest heartbreak during that era was something few folks know - Al Jefferson was committed and ready to roll, but chose to go pro after being drafted by the Celtics. Putting him in the mix, who knows? Hogs went to 3 straight Tournaments with that group, and were a known commodity again.
I'll take that heartbreak and raise you one from a few years prior. Arkansas made a long shot run to the SEC title in 2000. They lost on a buzzer beater to Georgetown, that would probably be overturned today by going back to check the replay, in the 7/10 game. No big deal, right? Teams lose on questionable calls all the time. Except the number 2 seed in that region was Iowa St. They lost to Hampton. Arkansas was a fraction of a second from the Sweet 16.

If Georgetown doesn't make the shot (or arguably, if the refs get the call right), Nolan doesn't get pestered about getting fired. He doesn't blow up at the press conference. He doesn't get fired. Nolan and Anderson had recruited Andre Iguodala and a bunch of the kids that Anderson took to the Sweet 16 at UAB. If that shot turns out different, the Lost Decade and a Half never happens.
And if Newell doesn't retire Goodrich goes to Cal, UCLA doesn't win that first title.....

Another back-of-envelope pass at the top 4 seeds now that today's action is done:

Cleveland: Kentucky, Kansas, Notre Dame, Louisville

Syracuse: Villanova, Virginia, Maryland, Baylor

Houston: Duke, Gonzaga, Iowa State, Northern Iowa

Los Angeles: Wisconsin, Arizona, Oklahoma, North Carolina

Sryacuse region seems tougher than the rest, but all those Big XII and ACC teams clogging the 3- and 4-seeds limit the options.
That's exactly what Lunardi has this morning.
Well, back to the drawing board, then... :kicksrock:

Damn. UK/Arkansas was 19-19 midway through the half. And then Kentucky happened.

Arkansas is good. They're most likely going to be a 5-seed with slim chance at a 4-seed.

I know I'm just being sulky, but if ESPN is smart, they won't take the chance of leaving **** Vitale and Ulis in a room together alone, or they might have a Sandusky-esque scandal on their hands. Giving Ulis a verbal handie pretty much every time he runs by the scorer's table. Unfortunately, it's probably well-deserved. That kid looks like he's going to be good. Will be fun to see him and Beard go head to head in upcoming seasons.

Kentucky always looks like they are playing a collection of little brothers. Their whole team looks 6 inches taller than the other guys, doesn't even look fair.

I would take Kentucky vs. the field at this point. They're just too good. The only way they lose is if they run into a team which is absolutely unconscious from the 3-point line, which is certainly possible.

I would take Kentucky vs. the field at this point. They're just too good. The only way they lose is if they run into a team which is absolutely unconscious from the 3-point line, which is certainly possible.
that will likely happen, and if Kentucky isn't hitting their 3s...there you go.

Kentucky always looks like they are playing a collection of little brothers. Their whole team looks 6 inches taller than the other guys, doesn't even look fair.
Arizona has an NBA 2 through 5...let's see what happens when Kentucky gets out of the SEC.
As a life long Hoosier fan I hope someone, anyone takes them down. Hope you are right about Arizona but you can say same thing about Pac12 as SEC. Like how Wisconsin matches up but they don't have that depth that Kentucky has.

Watched about 6-7 Kentucky games and they have all been jokes. Missed the close ones they had.

Likely? Against Kentucky's defense?
I'll rephrase that there is a "decent chance" of a team catching fire from the perimeter. "Likely" probably too strong.

Guard oriented teams like Nova and Duke that have respectable size low are probably Kentucky's worst matchup. AZ has two 2015 NBA first rounders at the 2/3 and an all conference pg.

Teams Kentucky would destroy include Wisconsin/Virginia types...just not enough perimeter firepower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely? Against Kentucky's defense?
Guy has serious hate for Kentucky.
Nah, I just don't think they are as favored as the media would have you believe. Vegas has them at -110, but that's a public bet...sharps are on the other side and so is history.

Last edited by a moderator:
VCU in a dogfight with Fordham and A-10 rookie of the year Eric Paschall. Talented guard Jon Severe, who has had an embattled campaign, appears to be ready to play today.
If there's a lock of a team to pick against in the 1st round, it's VCU, right?
Probably

Allie-Cox needs to just do layup drills all day, every day. Quit it with those books.
The rumors of VCU's demise (some of which were spread by me) may have been greatly exaggerated. They thoroughly pummeled Davidson yesterday, beating them in all facets of the game (though ###### Alie-Cox still needs to make those layups). Won the A-10 tournament without a double-bye and looked impressive overall. They have now won 8 of their last 11 and are 9-6 in their last 15.

Among the 6 losses were double-OT to LaSalle (now in the top 100), double OT at Richmond (now in the top 50), by 4 to Dayton (which they should have won, if they just made those ###### aforementioned layups), and by 2 on the road at St. Bonaventure.

Still probably not a lock, but I would not assume to pick against them. We'll have to see their draw.

I think Villanova/Kentucky would be a very entertaining game to watch. I wouldn't want to have to pick a side. I don't think Arizona has the mental toughness to handle 40 minutes against the Wildcats. I'd sure like to see Georgia get another shot at them, but that would probably require Georgia getting to the Sweet 16 or further...interestingly, looking at the likely top 16 seeds, the one I think has a puncher's chance, is...Gonzaga! If their starting 5 doesn't get in foul trouble (and there's no reason to think they will), Pangos, Bell Jr, Wesley, Wiltjer, Karnowski off veteran savvy and plenty of athleticism, length and height, especially when you factor in that big Lithuanian puppy (freshman) Sabonis coming off the bench...

I think Villanova/Kentucky would be a very entertaining game to watch. I wouldn't want to have to pick a side. I don't think Arizona has the mental toughness to handle 40 minutes against the Wildcats. I'd sure like to see Georgia get another shot at them, but that would probably require Georgia getting to the Sweet 16 or further...interestingly, looking at the likely top 16 seeds, the one I think has a puncher's chance, is...Gonzaga! If their starting 5 doesn't get in foul trouble (and there's no reason to think they will), Pangos, Bell Jr, Wesley, Wiltjer, Karnowski off veteran savvy and plenty of athleticism, length and height, especially when you factor in that big Lithuanian puppy (freshman) Sabonis coming off the bench...
Good call on the Zags.

As an aside, Oliver Purnell has resigned from DePaul. Not sure what coach has gotten more years as a head coach for such little results.

According to what I can tell, there are only 2 coaches who have coached more games without winning an NCAA tournament game than Purnell: Jim Barron (who had lesser teams), and this guy William Reinhart who coached George Washington from 1935-1965 (with 5 years off in the middle).

Assume MSU is above a 7 seed but they'd be a brutal 2nd round match up.
Anybody who draws the Spartans is not going to like it...they'll be better than their seed.
Assume MSU is above a 7 seed but they'd be a brutal 2nd round match up.
Anybody who draws the Spartans is not going to like it...they'll be better than their seed.
Even as a S16 matchup it'd be rough let alone first weekend.

UVA or Arizona get the last #1 seed if Wisconsin loses?
I don't see Duke getting a #1 if Wisconsin wins. UVA might, or Arizona might get the 4th. It's very rare for a team to get a #1 without winning either conference title. Head-to-head, even on the road, isn't everything. In Virginia's case, it looks like Anderson may be healthy enough to be a factor in the tourney, which would excuse some of their losses.

Personally, if Wisconsin wins, I'd rank the top six in this order: Kentucky, Villanova, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Arizona and Duke in a virtual tie. A Badger loss would drop them to the 6th slot or 7th slot, in my mind.

I don't see Duke getting a #1 if Wisconsin wins. UVA might, or Arizona might get the 4th. It's very rare for a team to get a #1 without winning either conference title. Head-to-head, even on the road, isn't everything. In Virginia's case, it looks like Anderson may be healthy enough to be a factor in the tourney, which would excuse some of their losses.

Personally, if Wisconsin wins, I'd rank the top six in this order: Kentucky, Villanova, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Arizona and Duke in a virtual tie. A Badger loss would drop them to the 6th slot or 7th slot, in my mind.
Head to head on the road isn't everything but Duke's overall resume is still better. Unbalanced ACC schedule and Duke's non-conference performance should be taken into account. Pretty sure Duke is a 1 unless Arizona somehow jumps them. That is especially true with Andersons injury.

I think Kentucky to MW and Villanova to the East are the only givens. Nothing else would surprise me. I assume Duke or Virginia will end up in the East with Villanova and Arizona will end up in the West whether it's the 1 or 2 line. If Wisconsin loses, they may end up in Kentucky's region as the 2-seed.

Users who are viewing this thread