What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA HOOPS THREAD! -- K petitions to get Maui Jim Maui Invitational moved to Transylvania (2 Viewers)

Who is worse?

• Total voters
Yep. 

That game may finish 47-45. 
Yep - Irvine's got one of the best defenses in the country and have a deep rotation.  They returned basically the whole team (and added players), scheduled historically strong teams OOC, beat some, and their only loss this calendar year was more than two months ago.  Even before the Wade injury K(ansas) State wasn't a good shooting team.   The ingredients are there as long as Irvine finds just enough offense.

ETA - and if they win (note of unknown relevance - in their home state) they match up well with whoever they would play in round two as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention this when we were complaining about things:

What's with rolling the ball up the court when there's 15 minutes left in the game?  This is dumb.  You have no idea if you're "saving" time for you or the other team at that point.  Stop it.

And stop trying to make college basketball like the NBA.  A lot of people who like college basketball don't like the NBA.  You never hear people saying college football should be more like the NFL.  It's OK for the two to have slightly different rules.  

I forgot to mention this when we were complaining about things:

What's with rolling the ball up the court when there's 15 minutes left in the game?  This is dumb.  You have no idea if you're "saving" time for you or the other team at that point.  Stop it.

And stop trying to make college basketball like the NBA.  A lot of people who like college basketball don't like the NBA.  You never hear people saying college football should be more like the NFL.  It's OK for the two to have slightly different rules.  
The rolling the ball thing is really dumb. Pointed out in here the other day a team did it with like 45 seconds left in half and then did not try to go two for one. Took a shot with like 22 seconds left or whatever. 

Not sure if this had been said already, but I just saw this:  Martelli was NOT given the choice to retire or resign. 

I feel bad for the guy. :(

Where did you read this? I read he didnt want to leave and was given a choice. 
Martelli, 64, had been head coach at the school since 1995, after 10 years as an assistant. He was not given a choice to resign or retire, the Inquirer reported. Saint Joseph's athletic director Jill Bodensteiner told The Associated Press that although it was "excruciating" to part ways with Martelli, she "didn't feel like we were giving the student-athletes an optimal chance to succeed."

LINK

The rolling the ball thing is really dumb. Pointed out in here the other day a team did it with like 45 seconds left in half and then did not try to go two for one. Took a shot with like 22 seconds left or whatever. 
One thing you can do is do it with a running clock and you can effectively milk for more than 35 seconds as the shot clock doesn't start until it is touched.

When you go to bed on Christmas Eve, you wake up early Christmas morning and you're greeted by mounds of presents.  

Screw the west coast, these games should be starting at 8 am on Thursday morning.  4 hours at work with no games on?  What the hell am I supposed to do during that time?  :angry:
This is why it is awesome living on the west coast.

Start a tourney thread? 

Lsu is only a 6.5 pt fave over Yale. That seems insane to me. Yale really isn’t a great Ivy team. 
KenPom has LSU by 9. I assume the lower line is a function of LSU not having their coach?

Anyway, Yale has more raw talent than any Ivy team in a long time, although it hasn't always translated to dominant play. As I said before they took their foot off the gas once they locked up their spot in the 4 team conference tournament and that probably cost them a 12 or 13 seed, and they haven't looked nearly as good since. But in mid-February they looked like world-beaters.  Still ended up in the 80s in KenPom. They also have a legit NBA prospect who will likely become the first Ivy player drafted by the NBA in over 20 years (Lin was an undrafted free agent), although sometimes they stand around and watch him too much on offense.

I don't like the upset chances because of their recent iffy form and their fast pace (more possessions = less variance = lower chance of upset), but I'd be surprised if they get blown out.

This will be easy.  The Marquette/Murray State matchup has the two most exciting non-Zion players in the tournament in Markus Howard and Ja Morant. Late afternoon Thursday on TBS.
:goodposting:

Jeebus. Morant is just absurd. Was wondering if he’d try to do too much in the tourney but apparently there’s no such thing as too much for him.

Vanderbilt fired its coach, Bryce Drew. He was only there for three seasons.

Pretty surprising to me. I realize he didn't win a damn game in the SEC this season, but he also lost his best player to injury early in the season. And this is the same school who let Kevin Stallings hang around with .500 seasons for 15 damn years. 

I guess there is a new sheriff in town. (There literally is - new AD)

Vanderbilt fired its coach, Bryce Drew. He was only there for three seasons.

Pretty surprising to me. I realize he didn't win a damn game in the SEC this season, but he also lost his best player to injury early in the season. And this is the same school who let Kevin Stallings hang around with .500 seasons for 15 damn years. 

I guess there is a new sheriff in town. (There literally is - new AD)
Even losing your best player, I don’t think you can go 0-18 and expect to keep your job. That’s phenomenally bad. 

This will be easy.  The Marquette/Murray State matchup has the two most exciting non-Zion players in the tournament in Markus Howard and Ja Morant. Late afternoon Thursday on TBS.

Texas Tech is another one to look for.  They have the #1 team defense according to KenPom and one of the better players in the country in Jarrett Culver.
This was excellent advice.  I enjoyed the M/MSt game very much and looking forward to more Ja Morant swagger.  Will be watching Texas Tech Michigan with great interest.  Thanks!

Well, I don't know anything about Xavier, but I suspect there could be a certain sense of betrayal combined with a frustration of not being a "destination program".  I think most Buffalo fans are pretty realistic about the state of UB's athletics program.  Sure, they've been very good of late, but this is not a blue-blood program.  Bobby Hurley is a college basketball legend and NBA vet.  He's not gonna settle in for a 20-year stint coaching UB's basketball team.

I do think people will be more sad about losing Nate Oats, when that time comes - whether it's this year or not.  He's the kind of guy Buffalo people love - blue collar, hard worker, career underdog.  He and his family have embraced the city of Buffalo in a way Hurley never did, and the city embraced him back when his wife was batting cancer.  Where I think it'll sting the most is because he's "our guy", someone plucked from relative obscurity who has turned an above-average mid-major into a perennial tournament team.  His recruiting has been phenomenal and they're restocked for the future if he stays.  This isn't the next Gonzaga, but I think any UB fan can realistically see that there is very serious potential for long-term success here, far more than Hurley ever had.  But ultimately, it's not a destination job, and someone's gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.
1 week later....

Can’t believe freaking Alabama is the job he would jump at. Could’ve waited for something better than that. 
That's the general commentary on the UB fan board where I lurk.  No one's surprised he left, but they're surprised he left for Alabama.

That said, Alabama was paying Avery Johnson like $3 mill/year, which is almost 4x what Oats was about to make at UB.  That's life-changing money if you can get it.

The story starting to emerge around this Oats departure for Alabama is a bit bizarre.

Apparently he went to a bunch of random morning meetings in the UB athletic department, then just up and turned-in his resignation and jumped on a plane to Alabama.  Didn't tell any of his players or recruits; the athletic department broke the news to the players around 4 PM just before it hit national news.  

what about Auburn to final 4?  

13th in Kenpom, Houston a weak 3, UNC the weakest 1, not sure I totally trust Kentucky

I'd love to see it - but Kentucky will just crush them. The earlier meeting at Rupp was ugly and ugly early. In the ends the guards are too small and underneath they are really weak.  It would take the perfect storm of a million 3's and making nearly every one. What they will have is a ton of optimism as preached by Coach Pearl - he could get these guys to run through a wall right about now.
😢

kind of inexplicable how Kentucky blew their advantage inside. Auburn didn't have a single competent offensive big man and they all got in foul trouble early.

Chris Mullin is going to step down as coach of St. John's???  WTH?

And Bobby Hurley is the top candidate to replace him????? 

What is going on here?

I like the John Brannen possibility for the Bearcats.  
I also see Nick Van Exel is interested.  I got to speak with him back in 2001.  We talked about the Bearcats and when he was on.  He loves that school.  I think he could be an interesting hire.  I don't think we'd ever have to worry about him leaving if he took it.  At least, not on his own.

TheIronSheik said:
I also see Nick Van Exel is interested.  I got to speak with him back in 2001.  We talked about the Bearcats and when he was on.  He loves that school.  I think he could be an interesting hire.  I don't think we'd ever have to worry about him leaving if he took it.  At least, not on his own.
Everyone said the same thing about Cronin. 

Everyone said the same thing about Cronin. 
And I get that you liked Cronin, but aren't you also excited to see who we are going to get?  What's done is done.  And I can assure you, it had nothing to do with me, GB.

Sure, next year will be a down year as is the case with most first year coaches.  But I'm excited for the future.  Aren't you?

So, we all know I'm no numbersmith.  But I saw this and thought it was interesting.  But I have no clue if the numbers are accurate.  If they are, pretty wild.

UC Salary: $2,200,000
Estimated after Taxes: $1,211,456

UCLA Salary: $4,000,000
Est. after Taxes: $1,951,954

LA cost of living = 54% higher than Cincinnati.

$1,211,456 salary equivalent in LA = $1,848,000

Difference in actualized dollars between Cincinnati and LA = +$103,954

I see the NBA is talking with the Union to get rid of the one-and-done rule.  Wonder what effect this will have on college basketball?  I would think that mid majors would suffer the most.  A lot of their talent that they see would now be heading to blue chip schools.  I'd like to think it all evens out, but it'll be interesting to see.

I see the NBA is talking with the Union to get rid of the one-and-done rule.  Wonder what effect this will have on college basketball?  I would think that mid majors would suffer the most.  A lot of their talent that they see would now be heading to blue chip schools.  I'd like to think it all evens out, but it'll be interesting to see.
Theoretically it should even out.  Mid majors will be worse, but so will the power schools without their Lonzos and Zions.  Overall a worse product top to bottom.  

I don't know that it would have much effect at all, except in the extreme micro. How many players are drafted each year in the NBA - 58? 

So, we all know I'm no numbersmith.  But I saw this and thought it was interesting.  But I have no clue if the numbers are accurate.  If they are, pretty wild.

Now I wonder what the difference in compensation is for doing a weekly radio and tv show in LA vs Cincinnati.

Theoretically it should even out.  Mid majors will be worse, but so will the power schools without their Lonzos and Zions.  Overall a worse product top to bottom.  
The product has been considerably worse over the last decade or so.  I followed college hoops closely through the late 70s, 80s, and 90s ...so enjoyable to get to know teams and players as they came back for their second, third, or even fourth years.  Now, the top players are gone after a year or maybe two.  The college game is lessened, and so is the NBA, IMO.  :kicksrock:  

TheIronSheik said:

Biggest flaw in this math is it is basically assuming he spends all his money and that he gets nothing comped. 

Dr. Octopus said:
and of course far less are going to be able to jump into the NBA right from high school.
Right. And how many of those half-dozen-or-so HS-to-NBA guys would leave a hole that the Blue Bloods would steal from the mid-majors? Maybe two guys a year?

RJ Barrett going pro right out of HS would have made zero difference to the mid-majors from a recruiting standpoint. And it may have helped Duke.

TheIronSheik said:

Weather differential: + $17,523,431.62

Users who are viewing this thread