Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Good Posting Judge

NCAA HOOPS THREAD! -- K petitions to get Maui Jim Maui Invitational moved to Transylvania

Final Four: Which team has the worst fans?  

305 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

I am not saying he is a bad coach, I think he is a good coach.  Elite recruiter for sure.

In college being a recruiter is part of the job description. Maybe the best x's and o's guys arent great at recruiting the top tier talent and vice versa?

• Like 1

No doubt in my mind that Coach K has lost his fast ball on the sidelines.  He proved that in the tournament (especially in the MSU game, taking the ball out of Jones' hands and allowing MSU to load up 5 vs 2 on Zion and Barrett the entire 2nd half).

Can obviously still recruit, but I think he's run out of ideas from an X's and O's standpoint. When your plan for getting the ball to Zion is having Barrett (who sucked at throwing entry passes all year)  try to throw a lob  pass into a stationary double team for the last 20 minutes (How about drawing up ONE creative play to get Zion the ball on the move?), you're sunk.

Maybe he goes back to the drawing board this year (now that he'll have a team with obviously good players but no likely top 5 picks or NBA all stars) but I'm not betting on it.

29 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Bielein leaving Michigan to go the Cleveland Cavaliers

#### me.

On 3/8/2019 at 4:02 PM, TheIronSheik said:

Out of 44 Division I schools that have never made the NCAA Tournament, we are already down to 26 having a chance.  And when I say a chance, that includes very, very slim chances.

Will someone punch their ticket for the first time this year?  

So it looks like we lose Savannah State (MEAC) this year.  Going down do DII.  But we gain Marrimack (NEC).  

Then next year, we add Bellarmine (ASUN), UC San Diego (Big West), and Dixie State (WAC).

Funny side note:  It would have taken me 50 guesses to correctly guess which state Dixie State University was in.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Remember when you turned traitor on Auburn in the tournament?  I remember. Bruce remembers.

Edited by Fat Drunk and Stupid
  • Like 1

Was there ever any doubt that a Duke-led investigation would find no evidence of anything improper between Zion and Nike (even if there is nothing to be found)?

• Like 2

On 9/7/2019 at 12:34 PM, Rustoleum said:

Was there ever any doubt that a Duke-led investigation would find no evidence of anything improper between Zion and Nike (even if there is nothing to be found)?

It's also an eye-roll inducing usage of weasel words. Zion's stepdad ran his Nike EYBL team, so Nike could funnel however much money they wanted to Zion without technically being "improper."

Anyone with a dad, brother, cousin or whatever who is remotely qualified has been fair game to bribe through AAU or an assistant coach job for years now. OK State, who you might remember from the trials this summer, is running this exact play right now with Cade Cunningham.

If college basketball wasn't the most fun sport to watch, I'd just say burn it all to the ground. I don't think a Euro style model would be nearly as fun. College basketball is good because a team of 6 ft future accountants can take out a team of one and done kids + the difference in styles of play + the intensity of nearly every game. 

9 minutes ago, Rirruto said:

It's also an eye-roll inducing usage of weasel words. Zion's stepdad ran his Nike EYBL team, so Nike could funnel however much money they wanted to Zion without technically being "improper."

Anyone with a dad, brother, cousin or whatever who is remotely qualified has been fair game to bribe through AAU or an assistant coach job for years now. OK State, who you might remember from the trials this summer, is running this exact play right now with Cade Cunningham.

If college basketball wasn't the most fun sport to watch, I'd just say burn it all to the ground. I don't think a Euro style model would be nearly as fun. College basketball is good because a team of 6 ft future accountants can take out a team of one and done kids + the difference in styles of play + the intensity of nearly every game. 

Yea it’s horrible that Zion made money off his likeness. More rich white people should have got to cut that up.  

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

36 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yea it’s horrible that Zion made money off his likeness. More rich white people should have got to cut that up.  

I agree with you? Duke's clearing themselves and Nike is still stupid. Those things can exist at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2019 at 11:16 AM, Capella said:

my link

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-tech/article235385817.html

Former Texas Tech basketball star shot and killed in Dallas

Former Texas Tech basketball star Andre Emmett died Monday morning.

KCBD in Lubbock is one of several outlets reporting Emmett was shot and killed in Dallas.

Emmett, who turned 37 last month, was the No. 35 overall pick by the Seattle SuperSonics in the 2004 NBA draft. He only played in 14 NBA games but played professionally in Europe and China.

Emmett was a star at Dallas Carter before becoming the Red Raiders all-time leading scorer with 2,256 points from 2001-2004. He was an All-American as a senior and earned All-Big 12 Conference first team honors three times.

8 hours ago, mr. furley said:

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-tech/article235385817.html

Former Texas Tech basketball star shot and killed in Dallas

Former Texas Tech basketball star Andre Emmett died Monday morning.

KCBD in Lubbock is one of several outlets reporting Emmett was shot and killed in Dallas.

Emmett, who turned 37 last month, was the No. 35 overall pick by the Seattle SuperSonics in the 2004 NBA draft. He only played in 14 NBA games but played professionally in Europe and China.

Emmett was a star at Dallas Carter before becoming the Red Raiders all-time leading scorer with 2,256 points from 2001-2004. He was an All-American as a senior and earned All-Big 12 Conference first team honors three times.

oh ####.   that dude could definitely ball.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 9:59 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

kansas getting notice of allegation.

that final 4 appearance is as good as ours, @Bruce Dickinson (wherever you are)

Supposedly there are text messages between Self and Apparel-Company-1 about recruits, what schools they are being funneled to, and how much the recruits families are getting paid.  I guess it depends on whether KU or the apparel company is the NCAA's real target, but if the NCAA really does take a close look under Self's toupee, KU will have to fire him.  Kris Townsend (the assistant in charge of recruiting) is probably a goner, too.  

Not that Self will suffer.  Oklahoma State will have a contract waiting for Self at his house by the time he's done cleaning out his office in Lawrence, even if Self has to sit out a year.  

I guess the next step is finding out how much Danny Manning's buyout clause is, because he will be KU's first choice to replace Self.  
Second choice is probably Tim Jankovich of SMU.   

ETA: scope of investigation doesn't seem to go back to 2008, so Davidson's rightful place in the Final Four that year probably won't happen as a result of this.

Edited by Bruce Dickinson
  • Like 1

Penny been dropping dimes to Wiseman.  

Going to be fun when the NCAA now rules Memphis ineligible for the postseason because they chose to play Wisenan after the temporary injunction was issued today.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 2:51 AM, SayWhat? said:

Penny been dropping dimes to Wiseman.  

Going to be fun when the NCAA now rules Memphis ineligible for the postseason because they chose to play Wisenan after the temporary injunction was issued today.

Yeah, odd decision by Memphis.  Seems like an odd hill to die on.  

I love everything about the Wiseman story. I mean, except that the NCAA rule is dumb and should be changed.

Gary Parrish reported that Memphis went to the NCAA to try to see what the punishment was going to be on the front end, which the NCAA doesn't do. Memphis's deal was supposedly, "if he just has to sit a few games, then we'll sit him. But if you're wanting him to sit half the season, then we'll just vacate the wins later." I hope Memphis wins the whole thing now just to have the awkward awards ceremony. They know that the NCAA can't send them the notice of allegations, Memphis have it's response time, and the NCAA make a ruling before March. Just a total power move.

I especially like it as a fan of a team that's actively recruiting players against Memphis. Before, I just expected to lose everyone to Penny. But now opposing coaches can reasonably and honestly say that there's virtually a 100% chance that Memphis is going to get a postseason ban. With the way Memphis is handling this, who is to say Penny doesn't get a show-cause or just decides he's too rich and he's coached the kids he brought up through AAU anyway?

37 minutes ago, Rirruto said:

I love everything about the Wiseman story. I mean, except that the NCAA rule is dumb and should be changed.

Gary Parrish reported that Memphis went to the NCAA to try to see what the punishment was going to be on the front end, which the NCAA doesn't do. Memphis's deal was supposedly, "if he just has to sit a few games, then we'll sit him. But if you're wanting him to sit half the season, then we'll just vacate the wins later." I hope Memphis wins the whole thing now just to have the awkward awards ceremony. They know that the NCAA can't send them the notice of allegations, Memphis have it's response time, and the NCAA make a ruling before March. Just a total power move.

I especially like it as a fan of a team that's actively recruiting players against Memphis. Before, I just expected to lose everyone to Penny. But now opposing coaches can reasonably and honestly say that there's virtually a 100% chance that Memphis is going to get a postseason ban. With the way Memphis is handling this, who is to say Penny doesn't get a show-cause or just decides he's too rich and he's coached the kids he brought up through AAU anyway?

You mean the NBA's rule?  The one and done is their rule, not the NCAA's.  

16 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

You mean the NBA's rule?  The one and done is their rule, not the NCAA's.  

The NBA cares about Penny giving some kid $11k?

Just now, Rirruto said:

The NBA cares about Penny giving some kid $11k?

That's why I was asking the question.  I didn't know what rule you were referring to.  A lot of people are complaining about the NCAA not letting these guys go right to the NBA to make money, but that's the NBA's rule.  But yes, if you are referring to paying players, that's the NCAA's rule.

11 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

That's why I was asking the question.  I didn't know what rule you were referring to.  A lot of people are complaining about the NCAA not letting these guys go right to the NBA to make money, but that's the NBA's rule.  But yes, if you are referring to paying players, that's the NCAA's rule.

The 2022 draft will be fun.

I mean....I get that everyone hates the NCAA (and deservedly so) and will basically jump at the chance to #### on any decision they make. But this seems about as simple as it gets.

Penny was unquestionably a booster. He is one of their more famous alumni and made a 7 figure donation to the university. Rumors about him possibly getting involved with the program were around for several years.

He paid the family so they could move their son into the east memphis school district and play for Penny. I believe several other elite prospects transferred in as well. Penny used the HS team, the AAU team (which was basically the same group) and his relationship with Wiseman to build some coaching credibility for the memphis job.  He got the job and, as expected, delivered the kids. 

Does it suck that the kid is being punished for taking 10k? I guess. But for the school or penny to play the victim is just silly. They all knew exactly what they were doing when they hired the guy. They were banking on the idea that penny could use his relationships with this group to load up for a big run, raising the profile of the program and setting them up for long term success. They were ok with Wiseman getting popped for a few games as long as he's playing in March.

• Like 3

Wiseman to be held out from now on until he is reinstated.  If that happens.  But again, seems like Memphis may have messed up playing him that game.