What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Hill, RB (LVR) (1 Viewer)

I just wish he would worry less about cupcaking and dancing after every score and find that mojo. This guy his been dancing since the offseason. If he spent half as much time on his craft as he did dabbin and whippin he would have 1000 yards already. Grow up kid. Scary to think what is going to happen once Hue leaves next season. No way he returns. Tennessee and San Diego are waiting for him.

Rotoworld:

Jeremy Hill - RB - Bengals

Jeremy Hill left the Bengals' Week 12 game against the Rams with an ankle injury and is questionable to return.

Hill limped off in the first quarter but was back on the field for the next drive. This could have been an aggravation of that injury. He gashed the Rams for a season-high 86 yards on 16 carries before exiting. The Bengals will likely turn to Giovani Bernard the rest of the way as they look to burn clock.

Source: Coley Harvey on Twitter

Nov 29 - 3:45 PM

Rotoworld:

Bengals OC Hue Jackson had a private meeting with Jeremy Hill before last week's game.

"The guy has scored a lot of touchdowns, but we know he’s not running like he has the ability to run," Jackson said. "He recognizes what he needs to do and he got back to his focus in my opinion of what he needed to do and I think we are seeing the fruits of that." It may simply be a coincidence, but Hill had by far his best rushing day of the season the day after the meeting against St. Louis. Hill's 100 total yards against the Rams were easily his most of the season, and he has now put together back-to-back solid fantasy performances. Hill has a great chance to add to that run this week against Cleveland's terrible run defense.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

Dec 5 - 9:23 AM

Its looking like they will be feeding him this one, at least thats the way it sounds and reads when you look at the recent notes.

(though we were fooled several times along the season)

I will roll this P.O.S. out one last time, and try and use him to help me clinch a bye.

(If I hadn't already locked a playoff spot up, I may not touch him)

Since I'm rolling him out, that means anyone looking to lose might want to take heed and plug him in also. :D

You have been warned.

EDIT- Starting him over Latavius Murray, Gio Bernard, Ronnie Hillman and Buck Allen....... if it helps.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Also starting him over Bernard... And a Browns fan... Just have a feeling they are going to be going with the power run attack on this one. I don't feel confident, but going with the gut.

Next Gen Stats notebook: Pats receivers failing Brady

Excerpt:

The AFC North-leading Bengals are growing stronger. Previously mired a 10-game slump, Jeremy Hill had his best performance of the season in Week 11, covering just 2.96 yards per rushing gained. He remained in the same neighborhood in Week 12, averaging 3.32 yards covered on a season-high 98 rushing yards. It's a significant improvement on his season average, which stood at 5.01 two weeks ago.

If Hill can recapture the dominant form he showed down the stretch last season, the Bengals will emerge as Super Bowl favorites.

Hill has looked better but game script this coming Sunday screams Bernard IMHO.
I own both, unfortunately, so I am stuck trying to read the tea leaves on this situation every week. My first inclination was Bernard, but I'm starting to lean Hill. Hill is running better now than any time this year, Cincy may try to play keep away before engaging in a shootout, and even if it did become a shootout, Hill could benefit in the way of GL score or two.

I'll probably agonize over this all week, but if I had to decide today, it'd be Hill.

Having to decide between Hill and Woodhead in a PPR. Until a few weeks ago this was a no-brainer but now...? May go Hill. He's looking much better. I really don't know how many better options are out there unless you've hit the WW jackpot on Ralwes, Johnson, etc.

Hill has looked better but game script this coming Sunday screams Bernard IMHO.
I own both, unfortunately, so I am stuck trying to read the tea leaves on this situation every week. My first inclination was Bernard, but I'm starting to lean Hill. Hill is running better now than any time this year, Cincy may try to play keep away before engaging in a shootout, and even if it did become a shootout, Hill could benefit in the way of GL score or two.

I'll probably agonize over this all week, but if I had to decide today, it'd be Hill.
Yeah, that's a good way to look at it. I just think with all the Steelers fire power that this thing is going to turn in to a shootout and I think that would favor a Bernard scenario but it's very hard to predict what is going to happen.

Having to decide between Hill and Woodhead in a PPR. Until a few weeks ago this was a no-brainer but now...? May go Hill. He's looking much better. I really don't know how many better options are out there unless you've hit the WW jackpot on Ralwes, Johnson, etc.
That is a tough one. I have to decide over Bernard and Woodhead. I'm thinking since Chargers offense barely has anyone left at wideout that Woohead will get a ton of looks but that's another very hard decision to make.

Perhaps he was suffering from that ankle injury earlier in the season. He's looked far better the last couple of weeks. He's certainly a talented runner, who isn't in an ideal situation sharing a backfield with another good back, but talent generally turns into production sooner or later. Glad to see him back in the mix of line-up options at least.

If it helps, I have the same decision and am going with Hill (and Allen) over Woody.

At this point, I think we have to give up the gamescript analysis over whether a particular match-up is likely to be a "Hill game" or a "Gio game". Look no further than the two Cleveland games to understand why.

I'm starting Hill because he's been playing well lately (and Woodhead hasn't). Would I be at all surprised if either or both of those things changed this week? Not at all. But I'm done trying to predict the future. Hill's been producing, so I'm going to roll the dice on him continuing to produce. Simple as that.

Hill was the clear RB of choice for the Bengals in the first Pittsburgh game but that was lower scoring than anticipated. If the Steelers keep piling on the points you'd think that would force Cincinnati to throw the ball more. If that happens than Bernard will be on the field more. Not sure I can trust Hill this week although the Bengals will definitely try to get him started early.

Hill was the clear RB of choice for the Bengals in the first Pittsburgh game but that was lower scoring than anticipated. If the Steelers keep piling on the points you'd think that would force Cincinnati to throw the ball more. If that happens than Bernard will be on the field more. Not sure I can trust Hill this week although the Bengals will definitely try to get him started early.
You would think that, if you were of the opinion that you could predict game flow. Ask any Hill owners how that strategy's worked out so far this year.

You would think that, if you were of the opinion that you could predict game flow. Ask any Hill owners how that strategy's worked out so far this year.
Nobody can predict game flow with 100% accuracy. All we can do is analyze the situation and making the most informed opinions we can. Looking at this matchup and how well Pittsburgh is playing on offense I would expect them to keep putting up points. If that happens we know Gio is the preferred RB for the Bengals when they go pass-heavy. Could we see another sub-30 O/U game again? Sure anything's possible, but if I was going to bet on this one I'd expect more scoring this time and I would favor Gio over Hill this week due to what I anticipate will be a pass-heavy approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
The over/under is 49, the second highest in the league this week (New Orleans at Tampa Bay, at 50.5, is the highest), so Vegas thinks the game is going to be high scoring, for what that is worth.

The over/under is 49, the second highest in the league this week (New Orleans at Tampa Bay, at 50.5, is the highest), so Vegas thinks the game is going to be high scoring, for what that is worth.
First game was expected to be high scoring too and wasn't. However, I think a lot of that was due to it being Ben's first game back from an injury and historically he really struggles in those games. Plus Dalton stunk until the very end. Assuming Ben plays better and the Steelers' offense keeps rolling I can't see this being a 29-point combined game again. Hell, the Steelers could get 30 by themselves. Given how bad Pittsburgh's pass defense is I'd be really surprised if Dalton stunk against them again. On paper, everything points to this being a shootout and Vegas appears to agree.

Nobody can predict game flow with 100% accuracy. All we can do is analyze the situation and making the most informed opinions we can. Looking at this matchup and how well Pittsburgh is playing on offense I would expect them to keep putting up points. If that happens we know Gio is the preferred RB for the Bengals when they go pass-heavy. Could we see another sub-30 O/U game again? Sure anything's possible, but if I was going to bet on this one I'd expect more scoring this time and I would favor Gio over Hill this week due to what I anticipate will be a pass-heavy approach.
My point is that you not only are guessing at game flow, you're also guessing that it will predict the Hill/Gio split. I'm not saying that's irrational, I'm just saying I'm done trying to make decisions based on those twin projections. Instead, I'm basing it off of how Hill has performed the past couple weeks.

Could that be wrong as well? Of course it could. But that's the hill I've chosen to die on (no pun intended).

The Bengals' last two games came against the Rams and Browns, two terrible offenses. As a result, the Bengals could keep Hill more involved since they built commanding leads in both games. The Steelers have arguably the best offense in the NFL right now (Top 3 at worst). The chances of the Bengals building a commanding lead seem remote. As a result, my expectation (and I obviously could be wrong) is this will be more of a high-scoring game with the Bengals having to throw more. If that's the case we know Gio is the RB who will play more in passing situations.

Also, the Steelers' defense is better against the run than the pass. If that holds up on Sunday than Hill may not be able to get going (something we've seen from him a lot this season). And if that happens then again Gio could get more involved (which also has happened a lot this season though not the last two games).

I think the Bengals will try to get Hill going and feature him early. I'm not saying he's going to stink and fantasy owners shouldn't start him. I'm just saying my expectation for this game is a lot of passing and a lot more points than the first game. So far this season, those two types of game scripts favor Gio over Hill in the Cincinnati backfield.

The Bengals' last two games came against the Rams and Browns, two terrible offenses. As a result, the Bengals could keep Hill more involved since they built commanding leads in both games. The Steelers have arguably the best offense in the NFL right now (Top 3 at worst). The chances of the Bengals building a commanding lead seem remote. As a result, my expectation (and I obviously could be wrong) is this will be more of a high-scoring game with the Bengals having to throw more. If that's the case we know Gio is the RB who will play more in passing situations.

Also, the Steelers' defense is better against the run than the pass. If that holds up on Sunday than Hill may not be able to get going (something we've seen from him a lot this season). And if that happens then again Gio could get more involved (which also has happened a lot this season though not the last two games).

I think the Bengals will try to get Hill going and feature him early. I'm not saying he's going to stink and fantasy owners shouldn't start him. I'm just saying my expectation for this game is a lot of passing and a lot more points than the first game. So far this season, those two types of game scripts favor Gio over Hill in the Cincinnati backfield.
I'm not disagreeing with any of your logic. In fact, I agree that it makes a ton of sense. I'm just saying that I'm not making any decisions on the basis of that logic. It's a philosophical thing more than anything else.

That's fair. I'm starting Gio over Hill based on the logic I used in my posts. I definitely could be wrong but I really would be surprised if this was another low-scoring game like the first meeting was. I'm thinking there will be points and passing. I could see Hill getting a TD run but I like Gio's upside in PPR if the game goes the way I think it will.

With The Red Rifle out does anyone think Hill will get a boost? His breakout last year was when AJ was hurt, so they turned to the running game more.

With The Red Rifle out does anyone think Hill will get a boost? His breakout last year was when AJ was hurt, so they turned to the running game more.
I think he's the only one on that team who could see an uptick in FF outlook with Dalton out. I wouldn't play him on a team where I had plenty of alternatives who'd been better all year, but I would on a team with a dicier situation at RB and/or flex.

I could see that. Plus, with the way the Browns gashed the 49ers on the ground yesterday, I wouldn't have a problem with starting Hill this week.

In a year in which my top draft picks were Hill and Jordan Matthews, it seemed poetically just that I chose/was forced to start them this past week, and they both promptly f###ed me out of the playoffs.

Well, he certainly didn't get a boost yesterday after Dalton went out. Maybe now that they know Dalton is out, they plan to run more, but I'd like to see it happen before I count on it. I think Gio is safer to start than Hill right now.

In a year in which my top draft picks were Hill and Jordan Matthews, it seemed poetically just that I chose/was forced to start them this past week, and they both promptly f###ed me out of the playoffs.
My first two picks, Dez/Hill combining for 6 points in a PPR. WINNING!

Ive been heavily invested in the benglas for years now with eifert a.j. and hillon my main dyno. Just my opinion but i see a good game for hill this week and gio there after. Id feel pretty good about starting gio this week too. But , realistically with dalton out they wont be as dangerous of a team and it seems when its close or theyre behind gio is the guy. San fran should allow hill plenty of touches this week though.

FBG has him ranked in the 30's for RB's in PPR.

My decimated RB corps has four options that FBG has ahead of him but I don't feel much better about:

Denard Robinson vs ATL

Frank Gore vs HOU

Matt Jones vs BUF

Jeremy Langford at MIN

I would think that Hill should pound in at least a TD or two against the 9ers if they need to run the ball more?

Not sure how Gio fits in though.

Is Hill really a worse option that the guys above?

I'm struggling with Hill this week. First instinct is SF is a great match-up, but they do seem to play better defense at home. In 6 home games this year, they have held RB's to 136-484-3, for a 3.6ypc. Granted, that is against Min, GB, Bal, Sea, Atl, and Ari... of which you would probably only consider 2 to be good running teams. So, you have numbers that look great, but against middling competition. It's also hard to ignore that they were just eviscerated by Cle on the ground, and Chicago before that, but on the road.

Insert Hill, who you would think Cincy is going to want to come up big this week to keep the pressure off of McCarron... but do you believe he can get it done? I am back and forth on Hill/Bernard this week, my gut says they will once again try to establish Hill, hoping to grind this out. Taking in to account the SF home splits, combined with Hill's awful season, makes it incredibly hard to trust him in what will be the biggest week of the year so far for most us.

I'm struggling with Hill this week. First instinct is SF is a great match-up, but they do seem to play better defense at home. In 6 home games this year, they have held RB's to 136-484-3, for a 3.6ypc. Granted, that is against Min, GB, Bal, Sea, Atl, and Ari... of which you would probably only consider 2 to be good running teams. So, you have numbers that look great, but against middling competition. It's also hard to ignore that they were just eviscerated by Cle on the ground, and Chicago before that, but on the road.

Insert Hill, who you would think Cincy is going to want to come up big this week to keep the pressure off of McCarron... but do you believe he can get it done? I am back and forth on Hill/Bernard this week, my gut says they will once again try to establish Hill, hoping to grind this out. Taking in to account the SF home splits, combined with Hill's awful season, makes it incredibly hard to trust him in what will be the biggest week of the year so far for most us.
In a similar position. Have to decide between Lacy, Hill, and Gurley. Been burned too many times by Hill plus Gio is looming. Ended up starting Gurley and Lacy and we will see what happens. I still love Hill but not ready to start him yet.

In a similar position. Have to decide between Lacy, Hill, and Gurley. Been burned too many times by Hill plus Gio is looming. Ended up starting Gurley and Lacy and we will see what happens. I still love Hill but not ready to start him yet.
I envy that call, I have to pick a RB2 from Hill, Gio, or Powell.

I've got Gio right now, but I'm trying to convince myself that Hill is going to be the play. Just what my gut says.

Right now, have Hill in over Hillman and Draughn in a non-PPR league. If Stewart doesn't play, I will have to decide between Hill, Hillman and Riddick in a PPR league. Not loving either decision.

Those are all good running offenses.

Users who are viewing this thread