What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Hill, RB (LVR) (4 Viewers)

I looked back to 2006, I could go further but it's time consuming and I think there is enough info, to see how many times RBs from the same team scored in the top 30 RBs for a given season (Standard scoring). Here are the results and hopefully I didn't miss any.

Det Bush/Bell

Buf Jackson/Spiller

Arz Ellington/Mendy

NE Blount/Ridely

Det Leshoure/Bell

HOU Foster/Tate

SD Mathews/Tolbert

NO Sproles/Thomas

NYG Bradshaw/Jacobs

Car Stewart/Williams

KC Charles/Thomas

Oak McFadden/Bush

NYG Bradshaw/Jacobs

NYJ Tomlinson/Woodhead

Bal Rice/McGahee

Car Williams/Stewart

NYG Bradshaw/Jacobs

Car Williams/Stewart

Tenn Johnson/White

NYG Jacobs/Ward

NE Faulk/Morris

Minn Peterson/Taylor

Jack MJD/Taylor

Car Foster/Williams

Jack MJD/Taylor

NO McAllister/Bush

NE Dillon/Maroney

Dal Barber/Jones
Thanks for pulling this together. I don't know if top 30 is the right cutoff, because i am not hoping for top 30 upside with an early dynasty rookie pick, but it gives us a good starting point. I think you may be missing mathews/woodhead from this past season, but the list looks good.

Of the guys above, how many were top 10 seasons? Top 5? I think mjd makes the cut, chris johnsons 2k season, adrian peterson and maybe ray rice. I don't think any of these situations had two top ten guys on the same team/same season. For the most part it looks like either a starter who got hurt and their backup played well, or a goal line back who got enough carries and tds to be a borderline starter. There were a couple cases where the number two guy was borderline startable without being the td guy - julius jones, chester taylor, kevin faulk and maroney - but again, they weren't really guys you were excited to play each week.

Also looking at that list, there arent a lot of repeat offenders. So like I've been saying, you might see a perfect storm one year where both backs have good seasons together, but they're not true stud seasons, and it doesn't seem to happen again the following year.

so again, why would you want to spend an early dynasty pick on a guy with little to no chance of putting up an elite season? There's only so much to go around.

so again, why would you want to spend an early dynasty pick on a guy with little to no chance of putting up an elite season? There's only so much to go around.
A lot of this depends on format, team makeup, and individual philosophy. The larger the league and the deeper lineups go, the more appealing "solid production" gets. In smaller leagues, or leagues where you only need to start one RB, then yeah, it makes more sense to swing for the fences.

As far as team makeup, if I'm set at the RB position, then I'm more likely to use my bench spots on pure long range high end upside. If I have a loaded team that's weak at RB, then I'm looking more for high floor immediate options.

It's also perfectly valid to target a higher percentage shot at lesser production from a strategic standpoint. Some people like to hit singles, others like to swing for the fences and accept a greater risk of striking out. I've seen and used both methods successfully.

I smell a McFadden/Bush redux here, meaning Hill will probably tease with inconsistent TD production, and primarily serve to screw Gio owners, unless (until) Gio goes down, at which point, Hill will put up RB1 PPG production with a fuller load of carries/receptions/talent than BJGE could ever hope for.

With DMC/Bush it was about a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio of touches, and I could see the same here, at least in year one, or unless Hill shows to be a better talent than Gio. One legit counter to this is that despite popular perception of being a speed back, McFadden ran with A LOT of power under Hue Jax, and was able to fill the between the tackles role very well. Not quite sure Gio can do that, making this situation more fluid than I presented above.

Thanks for pulling this together. I don't know if top 30 is the right cutoff, because i am not hoping for top 30 upside with an early dynasty rookie pick, but it gives us a good starting point. I think you may be missing mathews/woodhead from this past season, but the list looks good.

Of the guys above, how many were top 10 seasons? Top 5? I think mjd makes the cut, chris johnsons 2k season, adrian peterson and maybe ray rice. I don't think any of these situations had two top ten guys on the same team/same season. For the most part it looks like either a starter who got hurt and their backup played well, or a goal line back who got enough carries and tds to be a borderline starter. There were a couple cases where the number two guy was borderline startable without being the td guy - julius jones, chester taylor, kevin faulk and maroney - but again, they weren't really guys you were excited to play each week.

Also looking at that list, there arent a lot of repeat offenders. So like I've been saying, you might see a perfect storm one year where both backs have good seasons together, but they're not true stud seasons, and it doesn't seem to happen again the following year.

I can edit to add the actual finishes. That will take a minute. You are correct that 30 is kind of an arbitrary cut off. I have no real reason for that number other than it felt kind of a nice place to start. RB30 would be a situational starter for most teams. I guess that's why I felt this was a good range. I think that is the low end of what people hope to get out of Hill, a situational starter. The point of the list wasn't to illustrate upside. I think that's more for the individual to decipher on their own. I think Hill's upside is signifinpcantly higher than RB30. I'd also point out that you seem to be arguing against a stud season or top 10, top 5 finish. Which I don't think anyone is arguing against. Yeah it would be remarkably hard to envision 2 top 10 RBs on the same team. What I'm looking for out of Hill is solid RB2 numbers this year with the upside for more. I think that's what he will provide.

A lot of this depends on format, team makeup, and individual philosophy. The larger the league and the deeper lineups go, the more appealing "solid production" gets. In smaller leagues, or leagues where you only need to start one RB, then yeah, it makes more sense to swing for the fences.

As far as team makeup, if I'm set at the RB position, then I'm more likely to use my bench spots on pure long range high end upside. If I have a loaded team that's weak at RB, then I'm looking more for high floor immediate options.

It's also perfectly valid to target a higher percentage shot at lesser production from a strategic standpoint. Some people like to hit singles, others like to swing for the fences and accept a greater risk of striking out. I've seen and used both methods successfully.
This is a critical point. The smallest dynasty league I'm in is a 14 teamer. So, solid production is far more valuable to me than say the 12 teamer conglomerate.

After the top 5 picks--you're not likely to get many elite seasons. If you think Hill is a good bet to be a 250/1000/7 guy--he's certainly worth a look. That's a very solid return for a pick outside of the top 5.

On top of this, he's 21 without much tred on the tires. He could play out his contract and still be in his early prime with potential to land a more traditional starting role.

Also, if you stop drafting RBs going to a team with a talented back on the roster--you're really going to start limiting your options. That's the way the NFl is trending.

How much more will Cincy's RB's run? how many more touches will Gore get relative to Gio?
I've got my projections at;Gio

191 carries, 821 yds, 6 TDs

80 targets, 60 receptions, 540 yds, 2 TDs

Hill

215 carries, 967 TDs, 9 TDs

20 targets, 14 receptions, 112 yds, 0 TDs

Gore

250 carries, 1045 yds, 8 TDs

25 targets, 18 receptions, 1 TD

Hyde

90 carries, 405 yds, 2 TDs

10 targets, 6 receptions, 50 yds, 0 TDs

So, removing the other roster fodder, I'm not projecting anything of significance for Lattimore because I don't really know his status, 406 for Cinci and 360 for SF. I've got Keap at 95 carries.
Thanks, makes more sense where you're coming from with actual data. I think you're over on Gore's carries, under on San Fran's total carries, close with Gio's total touches, but way over on his receptions. Cincy wants to pass less, so more receptions for Gio sticks out to me as odd. Will they actually pass less? :shrug: Maybe, maybe not. If they do the same the only ones I see with more potential involvement are Jones and Eifert.

I think if everything goes to plan a 230/180 ratio for both makes more sense. Gio with the most receptions, but more in the 45-55 range; not 80. I think the rest all possess similar passing game skills (obviously Gore will be more adept at pass blocking though), so it really comes down to use. That said, things never go to plan (injuries happen), but that's how I think it stands right now.

Since at their current values I highly doubt I draft Gio anywhere, but Gore is a possibility. I'm probably more likely to draft Hyde (as a cuff) because of that. After the Hunter injury and with Lattimore still nowhere near the field I don't really have a short term preference in Hill vs. Hyde right now, by themselves. The potential of Gore hitting the wall is really the only tie breaker I see. I'm probably going to stack them back to back on my board, but if nothing else changes my strategy will probably be pick one right after the other is picked. If I do pick one first, right now, it's Hyde, but - again, it's due to the Gore wall, and that's it.

I looked back to 2006, I could go further but it's time consuming and I think there is enough info, to see how many times RBs from the same team scored in the top 30 RBs for a given season (Standard scoring). Here are the results and hopefully I didn't miss any.

Det Bush 11 & Bell 17

Buf Jackson 10 & Spiller 27

Arz Ellington 24 & Mendy 25

NE Blount 29 & Ridely 30

SD Mathews 12 &Woodhead 19

Det Leshoure 20 & Bell 29

HOU Foster 4 & Tate 28

SD Mathews 8 & Tolbert 22

NO Sproles 10 & Thomas 27

NYG Bradshaw 20 & Jacobs 29

Car Stewart 24 & Williams 26

KC Charles 3 & Thomas 24

Oak McFadden 6 & Bush 26

NYG Bradshaw 14 & Jacobs 23

NYJ Tomlinson 17 & Woodhead 29

Bal Rice 4 & McGahee 25

Car Williams 14 & Stewart 11

NYG Bradshaw 28 & Jacobs 29

Car Williams 1 & Stewart 24

Tenn Johnson 11 & White 19

NYG Jacobs 12 & Ward 23

NE Faulk 27 & Morris 28

Minn Peterson 4 & Taylor 20

Jack MJD 13 & Taylor 18

Car Foster 29 & Williams 30

Jack MJD 8 & Taylor 19

NO McAllister 10 & Bush 17

NE Dillon 21 & Maroney 28

Dal Barber 13 & Jones 27
Added finish for the year. Top 5 = 5

Top 10 = 11

Top 15 = 20

After the top 5 picks--you're not likely to get many elite seasons. If you think Hill is a good bet to be a 250/1000/7 guy--he's certainly worth a look. That's a very solid return for a pick outside of the top 5.

On top of this, he's 21 without much tred on the tires. He could play out his contract and still be in his early prime with potential to land a more traditional starting role.

Also, if you stop drafting RBs going to a team with a talented back on the roster--you're really going to start limiting your options. That's the way the NFl is trending.
Agreed- bostonfred keeps talking about an "early pick", but Hill really isn't going early. Not sure if he expects to get a perennial top 10 guy in the 2nd round of rookie drafts, but that's not likely. IMO, his argument would have merit if Hill was being drafted in the top 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much more will Cincy's RB's run? how many more touches will Gore get relative to Gio?

Hill

Gore

Hyde

So, removing the other roster fodder, I'm not projecting anything of significance for Lattimore because I don't really know his status, 406 for Cinci and 360 for SF. I've got Keap at 95 carries.
Thanks, makes more sense where you're coming from with actual data. I think you're over on Gore's carries, under on San Fran's total carries, close with Gio's total touches, but way over on his receptions. Cincy wants to pass less, so more receptions for Gio sticks out to me as odd. Will they actually pass less? :shrug: Maybe, maybe not. If they do the same the only ones I see with more potential involvement are Jones and Eifert.I think if everything goes to plan a 230/180 ratio for both makes more sense. Gio with the most receptions, but more in the 45-55 range; not 80. I think the rest all possess similar passing game skills (obviously Gore will be more adept at pass blocking though), so it really comes down to use. That said, things never go to plan (injuries happen), but that's how I think it stands right now.

Since at their current values I highly doubt I draft Gio anywhere, but Gore is a possibility. I'm probably more likely to draft Hyde (as a cuff) because of that. After the Hunter injury and with Lattimore still nowhere near the field I don't really have a short term preference in Hill vs. Hyde right now, by themselves. The potential of Gore hitting the wall is really the only tie breaker I see. I'm probably going to stack them back to back on my board, but if nothing else changes my strategy will probably be pick one right after the other is picked. If I do pick one first, right now, it's Hyde, but - again, it's due to the Gore wall, and that's it.
I could be off on the projections. Heck that's part of the fun... The guess work behind them. I'm trying to read through the tea leaves as best I can, though. I did project a pretty decent decline in carries for Gore. Keep in mind he had 276 last year. SF has run the ball 394 and 383 times the past 2 years with their RBs. I'm sure other guys will get carries and the overall will be higher than just Gore/Hyde totals. Still, I've got just them 2 at 360. I see the RBs as a whole team coming in the 385 range. That leaves 35 carries for the fodder.

I see why the Gio receptions would stick out. I'm projecting the increase for him at the expense of others, though. It's been reported numerous time ps this off season that Cinci is trying to involve him more in the passing game. They are lining him up out wide and in the slot. They are also working of special packages to get both Gio and Hill on the field at the same time. He's been said to pick up the role Hawkins vacated on passing downs. So, that's why I'm projecting the increase for him.

They are also working of special packages to get both Gio and Hill on the field at the same time
We see this stated every year when a team has two potentially strong backs on their roster. It almost never happens.

I smell a McFadden/Bush redux here, meaning Hill will probably tease with inconsistent TD production, and primarily serve to screw Gio owners, unless (until) Gio goes down, at which point, Hill will put up RB1 PPG production with a fuller load of carries/receptions/talent than BJGE could ever hope for.

With DMC/Bush it was about a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio of touches, and I could see the same here, at least in year one, or unless Hill shows to be a better talent than Gio. One legit counter to this is that despite popular perception of being a speed back, McFadden ran with A LOT of power under Hue Jax, and was able to fill the between the tackles role very well. Not quite sure Gio can do that, making this situation more fluid than I presented above.
wouldn't that make hill the mcfadden?

who are you comparing who to?

michael bush is a career back up from the 4th round.

edit: I think a better comp would probably be williams/stewart from carolina, but injuries and foxy's rookie bigotry complicate that one

also, why does there always have to be a comp?

Confused about the Hill vs. Hyde talk. Not sure why Hill is in a better short term situation when he is playing behind a 2nd year top 40 pick that played very well last year and has been mentioned as having an expanded role whereas Hyde is playing behind a back people have been waiting to fall off the cliff for 2 years while his primary competition is now injured.

If you like one talent more than the other, alright, but Hyde's situation is much better right now than Hill.
How is the guy who NEEDS an injury to see significant playing time in a better situation right now than the guy who has already earned it? That makes no sense.
Seriously. There is some logic missing in the pro-Hyde camp.

edit: I think a better comp would probably be williams/stewart from carolina, but injuries and foxy's rookie bigotry complicate that one

The comp is b/c both sets of backs were coordinated by Hue Jackson.

DMC ~ Gio

Bush ~ Hill

Bush's talent and skill set was very comparable to Hill's IMO. Bush fell in the draft due to a badly broken leg that ultimately required a redshirt rookie season. The breakdown in the comp is between DMC and Gio. I'm not so sure Gio runs as well inside as DMC did during the Hue Jax years, potentially opening up an added role for Hill and making this a closer split of touches than we saw in Oakland.

The comp is b/c both sets of backs were coordinated by Hue Jackson.

DMC ~ Gio

Bush ~ Hill

Bush's talent and skill set was very comparable to Hill's IMO. Bush fell in the draft due to a badly broken leg that ultimately required a redshirt rookie season. The breakdown in the comp is between DMC and Gio. I'm not so sure Gio runs as well inside as DMC did during the Hue Jax years, potentially opening up an added role for Hill and making this a closer split of touches than we saw in Oakland.
This is how I see it and think it's a reasonable comp. Gio is a slightly lesser version of McFadden and Hill is a slightly better version of Bush. If you remember that team, McFadden was lined up everywhere. He was running legit WR routes at times from the outside. They paired both guys up on the field much like it's been said they want to do in Cinci this year.

Hill

Gore

Hyde

Thanks, makes more sense where you're coming from with actual data. I think you're over on Gore's carries, under on San Fran's total carries, close with Gio's total touches, but way over on his receptions. Cincy wants to pass less, so more receptions for Gio sticks out to me as odd. Will they actually pass less? :shrug: Maybe, maybe not. If they do the same the only ones I see with more potential involvement are Jones and Eifert.

I think if everything goes to plan a 230/180 ratio for both makes more sense. Gio with the most receptions, but more in the 45-55 range; not 80. I think the rest all possess similar passing game skills (obviously Gore will be more adept at pass blocking though), so it really comes down to use. That said, things never go to plan (injuries happen), but that's how I think it stands right now.

You misread the numbers, he had 80 targets but 60 receptions, not 80 actual receptions. I'm not sure why targets were listed though.

I put targets into all my projections. It's just a good practice IMO. W/o factoring in the pies size, attempts, then you are shooting blind IMO. I've done projections w/o targets in the past and it's easy to quickly lose sight of exactly how much there dips to go around. Guys can't catch more passes than are thrown. Most teams only complete around 65% of their passes. So, it's just the way I do my projections for all teams.

I put targets into all my projections. It's just a good practice IMO. W/o factoring in the pies size, attempts, then you are shooting blind IMO. I've done projections w/o targets in the past and it's easy to quickly lose sight of exactly how much there dips to go around. Guys can't catch more passes than are thrown. Most teams only complete around 65% of their passes. So, it's just the way I do my projections for all teams.
Thanks, that makes total sense.

Det Bush/Bell

Buf Jackson/Spiller

Arz Ellington/Mendy

NE Blount/Ridely

Det Leshoure/Bell

HOU Foster/Tate

SD Mathews/Tolbert

NO Sproles/Thomas

NYG Bradshaw/Jacobs

Car Stewart/Williams

KC Charles/Thomas

Oak McFadden/Bush

NYG Bradshaw/Jacobs

NYJ Tomlinson/Woodhead

Bal Rice/McGahee

Car Williams/Stewart

NYG Bradshaw/Jacobs

Car Williams/Stewart

Tenn Johnson/White

NYG Jacobs/Ward

NE Faulk/Morris

Minn Peterson/Taylor

Jack MJD/Taylor

Car Foster/Williams

Jack MJD/Taylor

NO McAllister/Bush

NE Dillon/Maroney

Dal Barber/Jones

Why assume people spent an early pick on him. It happened in one draft you mentioned, and others have brought it up, but you have locked in on that valuation more than anybody, by far. In four of the five leagues I've drafted in, he went in the second three times and third once.

You have said elsewhere he is worth no more than a late second (I suppose YMCV depending on if it is a 12-14-16 team league). Why not focus on that (what you said, and not what other people said), and see if that valuation makes sense. We discussed Freeman (and I'll return to it), but he usually isn't an option and already off the board where Hill would be an option. Why does he have to be top 5, or even top 10, to justify a pick somewhere before the "late second"? What other rookie RB in that neighborhood is likely to provide that kind of value. What WR drafted in that region is likely to provide the value of a top 5-10 RB (the advice to take a WR is a bit vague and abstract without citing specific examples of who you have in mind as being a better use of the pick)? Trading the pick is an option for some, but not all leagues are that active, and why make the assumption that you will receive fair value for that pick? What if a team is stacked at WR, starters and depth, but doesn't have much starting RB talent, or they are old, or in danger of being replaced imminently, is it always better to take the speculative WR, irregardless of individual roster compositions, such that we can give blanket advice that is good in all cases?

The best and most productive RBBC for last year was probably Bush and Bell. Bell was anywhere from a low RB1 to high RB2, depending on size of league. As you have pointed out, we haven't seen a lot of instances where the RB with a less prominent role in the RBBC repeated that, so you thought based on that past track record, Hill would be lucky to do it once and than it might not be repeated again.

There can be different reasons that one or both members of a RBBC haven't repeated historically.

A) lack of talent, B) age, C) injury, D) draft, E) free agency, F) trade, G) coaching change, to name a few (if any ONE of these things happened to ONE of the RBBC members, so with so many variables that could potentially blow up their consistency historical record, it makes makes it mathematically more likely to be the usual state of affairs - but that isn't necessarily an indictment on an unusual state of affairs). Also, in how many instances was the team... H) as committed to the run as Jackson says he will be, and I) the ostensible RB1 is an undersized back with outstanding hands that can receive touches like a WR, and the projected RB2 (RB1A?) is 235 lbs., built to handle a greater percentage of carries if needed and has a chance at 8-10+ rushing TDs, due to that size differential).

In how many RECENT instances were one or both members of a RBBC impacted by one or several of the above conditions, and how might CIN be different... A) second rounders and arguably the top RBs in their respective class (we probably aren't worried about lack of talent), B) a second year and rookie RB (not worried about either getting old any time soon), C) regarding injury, I'm not predicting either will get hurt (but it is worth pointing out if Bernard is injured, that doesn't hurt Hill), D) back to back second round picks the team probably won't be looking to replace any time soon, E) free agency (if Bernard and Hill excel in their respective roles, no need to anticipate their bringing in a free agency RB as an upgrade, and neither can leave in free agency for years), F) trade (see last point), G) coaching change (Hue Jackson could do bad and get fired, but ATL could have the same thing happen, and a hypothetical new OC might prefer big RBs; Jackson could also do good and get another HC opportunity, but if a Bernard/Hill RBBC succeeds, Marvin Lewis and the new OC may not look to change that formula).

If this is a rare and exceptional case, it might be a misplaced concern to think that because other RBBCs without as great a confluence of positive factors haven't done it, Bernard and Hill aren't likely to succeed for more than one year, either.

Again, why do Bernard and Hill both have to be top 10 RBs every year to justify a higher than late second pick for Hill. Most teams don't have two of Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy and Adrian Peterson as their starting RBs. Most teams, on average, will have one top 12-14-16 RB (not all teams win with two great RBs, some strategies emphasize having top WRs or TEs, for example). If Hill is even a high RB2 for more than just one season, he is a player that teams could start, and offer a relative lineup advantage compared to other the RB2s from other rosters in different leagues.

The RBBC non-repeat argument could also be misplaced with Hill, in the sense that Bernard and Hill don't both need to have 225-250 carries and get 8-12 TDs, for Hill to justify a pick higher than a low second. If Hill does, that is all that matters to Hill owners, not that Bernard didn't.

So again, if you think he isn't worth more than a low second, why keep shifting the narrative to "early" pick. Why does he need to put up elite numbers to justify a pick better than a low second. If he is low ceiling but high floor, and can be a consistent RB2, startable, you aren't facing teams with two top 10 RBs on a regular basis, you aren't spending a high pick, you aren't assured of getting a more productive player at the same or another position, why is that necessarily a wrong move. You haven't made that point in a convincing way, but alluded to it in vague and abstract ways (take a WR instead, trade the pick, etc.).

Regarding Freeman. First of all, you are in the consensus, you may be right and he could prove more valuable. But you have taken some people to task for making genralizations like, CIN is a good RBBC situation. You are making generalizations, too. How do we know ATL will be a good situation, next year or beyond? Maybe (probably?) Freeman will get an audition to play some role in the ATL ground game. If others don't think Freeman is as talented as Hill, he could be at an increased risk to become marginalized in yet another RBBC (only now you have a less talented RB in a RBBC than Hill in CIN) or outright replaced. For years they have had feature RBs with much better size, like Turner and Jackson. Just because they say Freeman has a three down skill set, doesn't make him to get a lock more than the 225-250 carries Hill could project to in the future (Hill may not get to that level either, but I'm not saying Freeman is the intrinsically inferior choice in all cases, as you seem to be implying in the converse instance). Many, many, many things could happen to blow up Freeman's value. If he isn't as talented as Hill, he may fail his audition altogether. Hill is less likely to fail his role, such as it is, if he is more talented. You seem to be assuming that ATL can't bring in a more talented RB to replace Freeman, even if he does OK. Being less talented increases the chance of this happening. You seem to be assuming ATL won't bring in another RB to be in a future RBBC, which could relegate him to a similar or worse role to Hill, only now you have a less talented RBBC member, and one that may not be as likely to score TDs because of his more diminutive stature.

The way you have put it, this is all very vague and abstract. You have put the RBBC under the microscope, but what are you positing in the place of Hill, with Freeman. How are you calculating the percentages that Freeman becomes a long term top 5-10 dynasty RB, especially when we have no idea what ATL will do next year or beyond (CIN at least looks to have future stability to recommend it). If we look at the recent top 5-10 RBs, how many were lacking in all three categories of size, speed, pedigree or some other compelling trait?

You can't make a blanket generalization that Freeman or a RB like Freeman is ALWAYS and NECESSARILY the better play, imo. You are expressing your opinion. It is no worse than anybody else's, but no better either. If Freeman ends up doing better than Hill for a longer period of time, you will be proven right, if not, you won't. That is the bottom line, you don't get to summarily declare victory before it happens. :) If someone ALWAYS takes the higher upside player, and they bust a half decade in a row, than it didn't work out, it wasn't a good strategy in that case. I find it an artificial distinction, anyways, to think an owner would construct a roster in whch they ALWAYS take the high floor/lower ceiling player, and NEVER takes the low floor, higher ceiling player, as if it it isn't an option to employ a mix of strategies, accordinding to things like roster compostion as noted above, for instance.

You could be selling a box of empty hopes and promises if Freeman busts or is marginalized (I could be, too, with Hill, but again, I'm not the one saying your position is ALWAYS and NECESSARILY wrong, just trying to get others to weigh the alternatives before summarily dismissing one side). It is like that old game show. What if you could have a Mercedes Benz, it is just your for the taking (100% chance - Hill of course isn't guaranteed to be startable, but just to illustrate the point, bear with this for a moment). Or, behind the curtain, you could get an upgrade to a Rolls Royce, BUT, you could also get a donkey. Is it clear what is the best choice, ALWAYS and NECESSARILY? Of course not. At a minimum, to say something that definitive, you would need to make some effort to ascertain and communicate what the chances are of getting a Rolls Royce or a donkey, instead of just taking the Mercedes Benz. That is an analysis I haven't seen done in this context. In the absence of that, I would take the Mercedes, rather than the chance of a Rolls Royce that could turn into a donkey and becoming a game show punch line (is it a 10% chance, 5% chance of a Rolls Royce, 90-95% chance of a donkey, what is it?).

If you opt purely for opportunity over talent, how often does that work out where, just because there doesn't seem to be competition THIS YEAR, there isn't the next year or the year after, when that RB doesn't offer much to distinguish himself by way of size, speed, talent, pedigree, or some other compelling trait or attribute? It isn't enough to point out, well it happened here, and it happened there, etc. You have to stack up the few sucesses against the vastly greater number of outright failures or mixed results (RB never became top 5-10, the seemingly artificial standard you are holding Hill up to), and in some way account for them, in positing Freeman and RBs like him with similar opportunity ALWAYS and NECESSARILY must be the superior pick to Hill and RBs like him with similar opportunity.

Why assume people spent an early pick on him.
I'm not assuming people spent an early pick on him. I don't care who has already picked him and who has drafts later. I'm posting my thoughts for people who haven't picked yet, in a forum where there were many votes for him as a top 10 rookie pick and people in this thread have said his draft stock has only gone up since then. I think that's worthy of discussion for people who aren't already entrenched in their opinions. I've also said that I understand a second round valuation of him. I'm not making any assumptions here, so please don't use unnecessarily confrontational language.

Why does he have to be top 5, or even top 10, to justify a pick somewhere before the "late second"?
They don't. But given the choice of a bird in the hand or two in the bush, give me the two in the bush. Fantasy leagues aren't won with middling players. If your team happens to be loaded at almost every position and just a middling RB away from contention, I can certainly understand taking the safe play ahead of the higher reward, but in almost any other situation, whether I were strong at every position, or a couple players away, or just a middling team myself, or in a total rebuild, I'd be looking for upside that Hill simply doesn't have.

When people post their actual projections for Hill, even the most optimistic have him as a high end RB2 type. There are very few leagues where you should be starting a guy who you optimistically project to be a RB2. With the current minefield of committees out there, you want guys who are either the unquestioned starter, or get the bulk of the work in their RBBC and the highest value work.

Is Hill going to get receptions? Sure. Is he going to get more receptions than Gio? Doubtful. His receiving totals are capped, not by his skillset, but by the depth of quality receiving targets.

Is he going to get the touchdowns? It seems easy to pencil him in for the bulk of the TDs, but Gio was no slouch in that department last year, and Hue hasn't really used an exclusive goal line back. I think it's reasonable to project double digit TDs for him, but it's an optimistic projection. And without big receiving numbers, rushing TDs only go so far, in PPR or non.

Is he going to get the bulk of the carries? The projections in here range from about 35-55% of the carries, and rarely much more. So the optimistic thought is that he's get half the carries, less than half the receptions, and a little more than half of the touchdowns, while the Bengals rush more than ever before, don't split the pie between anyone except Gio and Hill, and are still efficient enough to get lots of goal line opportunities but run more than pass when they get there despite having two good tight ends and a deep core of receivers as well. In any given year, is it possible that those things all pan out for him? Sure. Is it realistic to project them to happen year after year? I don't think so. And that makes him less valuable over the next several years than a player who has a legitimate path to stud numbers.

What other rookie RB in that neighborhood is likely to provide that kind of value. What WR drafted in that region is likely to provide the value of a top 5-10 RB (the advice to take a WR is a bit vague and abstract without citing specific examples of who you have in mind as being a better use of the pick)?
There's a long list of receivers who are virtually interchangeable in rookie drafts. After Watkins and Evans, there seems to be some consensus on Matthews, Cooks and Beckham, as well as Adams, Benjamin, Lattimer, Lee, Robinson, and Moncrief. All of those guys have WR1 or WR2 potential. You can make a case for some and against others. I don't care which ones you like or don't, and my specific list isn't the point here.

Some or all of the rookie QBs and at least Ebron, if not ASJ and Amaro, have stud potential. In most leagues I'd consider some or all of them ahead of Hill.

At running back, Sankey, Hyde, and now a growing consensus on Freeman that didn't exist when I was first posting in this thread are all better bets because all three of them have an opportunity to be the dominant back on their team.

But Mason, West and even Andre Williams, who I don't personally like, all have a legitimate path to stardom as well. It's up to the reader to decide how much risk they're willing to take for the chance at a stud vs. the security of a seemingly talented but equally unproven committee back who has a good chance to get 30-55% of the carries for his team.

And even guys like Ka'Deem Carey, Jerrick McKinnon, James White, Storm Johnson and Charles Sims have a path to their starting jobs. In Carey, Sims and McKinnon's cases, they'd need to beat out a good, established veteran. White and Johnson don't have that established player in front of them, but they're still going to have to fight for a chance at their jobs. Out of that group, for my money, I take Carey and Sims, because I think their skill set matches what their coaches are looking for in a starter. Would I take them ahead of Hill? Depends on my team structure. Again, it's up to the reader to decide what's appropriate for their league.

The best and most productive RBBC for last year was probably Bush and Bell. Bell was anywhere from a low RB1 to high RB2, depending on size of league. As you have pointed out, we haven't seen a lot of instances where the RB with a less prominent role in the RBBC repeated that, so you thought based on that past track record, Hill would be lucky to do it once and than it might not be repeated again.

There can be different reasons that one or both members of a RBBC haven't repeated historically.
You're welcome to bet against any trend you want, but don't call me out for citing the trend. We're talking about making good, informed decisions. Everyone who bets against a trend has a list of reasons why this time is different. DeAngelo and Stewart owners thought that was the best backfield in the NFL by far. So did the GM. He bet his job on it and he's gone now.Is it possible for Hill to put up good numbers? Sure. Is it possible for him to do it more than once? Absolutely. Any time this situation comes up, I'd bet against it. More often that not, I'll be right.

Again, why do Bernard and Hill both have to be top 10 RBs every year to justify a higher than late second pick for Hill. Most teams don't have two of Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy and Adrian Peterson as their starting RBs. Most teams, on average, will have one top 12-14-16 RB (not all teams win with two great RBs, some strategies emphasize having top WRs or TEs, for example). If Hill is even a high RB2 for more than just one season, he is a player that teams could start, and offer a relative lineup advantage compared to other the RB2s from other rosters in different leagues.
They don't have to be top ten running backs every year. The problem is that Hill has a very low chance to be a top ten running back this year. He has a very low chance of being a top ten running back in 2015. He has a very low chance of being a top ten running back in 2016.

1) Because in EVERY LEAGUE, somebody will have McCoy, and somebody will have Charles, and somebody will have Peterson. In EVERY SINGLE LEAGUE, somebody last year had THE breakout player at their position, whether it was Foles, Moreno, Antonio Brown, Julius Thomas or the Kansas City defense. Just because you need to outscore the team with the 24th best running back, doesn't mean that drafting the 23rd best running back is a good option.

2) I don't want to be better than the five teams that are starting the worst RB2s in the league, either. That's not an advantage. If I want an advantage, I need to be better than more than half of the teams at the position. So in a league that starts two RBs, the least useful guy that is actually helpful to your team each week isn't RB24, it's RB18. Drafting a guy whose upside - even from the more optimistic posters in here - is RB12 doesn't give you much of an advantage. Having a high degree of confidence in him being "top 30", as has been posited in here, doesn't do anything at all for me.

3) Most of us play in leagues where you submit a lineup each week. I'm not a big believer in "consistency scores" or whatever people are calling them these days, but if they exist, then a touchdown dependent committee back is first on my list of inconsistent guys. They can absolutely crush your team if you miss out on their big weeks, then chase those points on the bad weeks. If Hill's not the primary receiving back, and he's unlikely to receive huge carry numbers in any given week, then he's highly dependent on touchdowns or on breaking a big run.

4) The distribution of his big games matters. It's possible that Hill looks like a weak RB3 the first half of the season, and by the time he turns it on, you don't trust him. It's equally possible that he looks like a stud the first half of the season, then tails off. Then at the end of the year, when you're excited about his RB2 season ending totals, he was actually completely worthless to you. Or maybe he has good weeks and bad, totally at random. That's a tough guy to start in the Superbowl. Building your team around guys like this is like screwing yourself in advance.

5) A boom/bust pick like Freeman, West, or Mason won't hurt you like that. If they're not the starter, they're not the starter. It's not hard to leave a RB on the bench if their NFL head coach is doing the same thing. Of course, if you take one of them, you might get a zero from your pick - but you won't get a zero at the RB2 position. Unless you have some kind of unusual roster restrictions in place, most leagues allow you to have multiple running backs. A boom/bust guy has a better chance of distancing himself from the pack in your fantasy teams' stable, while a committee back may not.

But perhaps the most important reason is this: You SHOULD project more than 10 guys to put up top ten running back numbers. Because there are a lot more than ten guys who could do it this year. The top ten backs picks in redrafts all have a good shot, sure, but last year's top twelve included guys like Chris Johnson, Fred Jackson and Ryan Mathews. And LeVeon Bell and Reggie Bush were both top ten in PPG. Doug Martin and CJ Spiller arguably would have been top ten if they hadn't gotten hurt. Knowshon falls out of the top ten, but Montee Ball is right back in there in the projections. All of those guys should be projected to do better than Hill with a healthy Gio on the team. Every single one of them.

Danny Woodhead was RB19 in non PPR leagues last year, but he was basically garbage (in PPR leagues, it's a different story). He was RB27 in PPG, and he finished ahead of several guys who would have easily outscored him if they hadn't gotten hurt. I don't want a guy with RB19 ceiling. I don't even want a guy with RB12 ceiling. There are a LOT of guys with top ten RB ceiling. Hill isn't one of them.

That doesn't make him worthless, but it gives him a very specific kind of value - safe, consistent scoring for a team that is weak at running back but strong everywhere else, or a team that has several boom/bust options but needs a plan B, for example. Just understand what you're getting when you draft him.

The way you have put it, this is all very vague and abstract. You have put the RBBC under the microscope, but what are you positing in the place of Hill, with Freeman. How are you calculating the percentages that Freeman becomes a long term top 5-10 dynasty RB, especially when we have no idea what ATL will do next year or beyond (CIN at least looks to have future stability to recommend it). If we look at the recent top 5-10 RBs, how many were lacking in all three categories of size, speed, pedigree or some other compelling trait?
That's a good question to ask about Freeman. There's a few ways to answer it. The first is by comparing combine numbers. Here are some of the notable 40 times for backs drafted in the last four years:Giovanni Bernard 4.53

Christine Michael 4.54

Doug Martin 4.55

Zac Stacy 4.55

Eddie Lacy 4.57

Devonta Freeman 4.58

LeVeon Bell 4.60

Andre Ellington 4.61

Montee Ball 4.66

Stevan Ridley 4.66

Jeremy Hill 4.66

Alfred Morris 4.67

Freeman isn't as big as Hill, but he's faster than, say, Ellington, and people have him penciled in for big things.

The second is opportunity. The opportunity is there for Freeman to start. And that's enough. Zac Stacy was a sixth round pick and he wasn't particularly well regarded, but he got volume carries and may remain the starter in a plus situation for many years. He'll have to fight for that opportunity right away, as the team drafted competition right away, but with Atlanta getting long in the tooth at several key positions, and not having the multitude of picks the Rams have had thanks to the RG3 trade, he may not see as much competition right away.

But the third - and the one that I keep bringing up because I think it's important - is that the coach and GM have referred to him as a "three down back" and "lead back". They don't have to do that. Lots of teams draft running backs in the second, third, fourth round and refer to them as competition for their veteran starter, or as a good all around talent, or good runners, or good receivers, or whatever positive trait they want. And they're all blowing smoke. But the specific flavor of smoke that both the coach and GM have used with Freeman is his ability to be a three down, lead back. That doesn't mean he will get all the carries right away, or that he will eventually get 100% of the carries. It means that they see him as a guy who can run inside, run outside, catch, pass block, and score touchdowns.

You asked if running backs could exist without specific combine measurables like size and speed and also pedigree, whatever that means. But that doesn't matter to me as much as the five things I just mentioned. Freeman is a potential "five tool player". That's huge. He might not be a lock to ever live up to that potential, but his upside is to be a true stud RB who is used in all phases of the game on a great offense. That's what gives him his value.

The consensus top four running backs this year are McCoy, Peterson, Charles and Forte. All of those guys fit that same bill. They can all run inside, run outside, pass block, catch passes and score TDs, and more importantly, their teams let them. In a couple years, Peterson and Forte won't be in that consensus top 4 any more. Who will? Lacy seems like a good candidate, and he has all five of those tools, too. Gio was looking pretty good until they drafted Hill, but if he can hold off the competition, he certainly looks like he has the talent. Freeman may have that talent, too. That - and not his "pedigree" - is what makes him valuable.

ALWAYS take the high floor/lower ceiling player, and NEVER takes the low floor, higher ceiling player

I'm not the one saying your position is ALWAYS and NECESSARILY wrong

Is it clear what is the best choice, ALWAYS and NECESSARILY? Of course not.

ALWAYS and NECESSARILY must be the superior pick
And this is just you putting words in my mouth as you finish your multi page rant. I've stated my position. If all you get from it is ALWAYS and NECESSARILY then you don't understand what I've written. I'm done.

Bostonfred - below are reasons that I do NOT think like you:

* things change - ACLs get ruptured, degenerative conditions come about, new regimes come in...

* RBBC IS EVERYWHERE - every or nearly every team will be employing RBBC after next years draft. In the world of RBBC every RBs upside is limited (theoretically). In my opinion, one way to combat this is by owning LOTS of RBs. This would boost the idea of taking another talented RB over a WR with the idea of building a stable of talented RBs in the new world of RBBC. By owning many RBs you can now play the injury card - if the other RB in a RBBC situation is injured maybe one of the many that you have will be getting all the carries.

* I would rather take the most talented player than take the tallest midget in the best situation. I would rather rely on "my eye" and my scouting skills. I would kick myself forever if I just relied on situation and missed out on a stud that "I knew" was talented. I'd rather "go down" utilizing my instincts rather than miss on situation...

Limited upside is going to be everywhere in the RBBC NFL...

You should adapt your drafting style accordingly...
BOSTONFRED - READ ABOVE...

But the third - and the one that I keep bringing up because I think it's important - is that the coach and GM have referred to him as a "three down back" and "lead back". They don't have to do that. Lots of teams draft running backs in the second, third, fourth round and refer to them as competition for their veteran starter, or as a good all around talent, or good runners, or good receivers, or whatever positive trait they want. And they're all blowing smoke. But the specific flavor of smoke that both the coach and GM have used with Freeman is his ability to be a three down, lead back. That doesn't mean he will get all the carries right away, or that he will eventually get 100% of the carries. It means that they see him as a guy who can run inside, run outside, catch, pass block, and score touchdowns.

But why do you keep bringing it up? The very same coach referred to their previous RB draft pick in the same exact way:

“Quizz is someone that we feel is a three down back,” Smith said. “He can come in a do the things that a three-down back does. He’s is not just a change of pace back.”
According to coach Mike Smith, Rodgers is an every-down running back. And one the team wants to the get the ball to more often.

“Jacquizz is a player that we’ve got to get him some touches,” Smith said after Tuesday’s practice. “We found out very early once we got him here that he is not a change-of-pace back. He’s a guy who can do all the things that you ask a running back to do. You go out and perform and when he’s had his opportunities, he’s done a nice job.
Etc.

I have no idea why you give this any merit at all, plenty of coaches talk about most of their draft picks similarly.

* things change - ACLs get ruptured, degenerative conditions come about, new regimes come in...

* RBBC IS EVERYWHERE - every or nearly every team will be employing RBBC after next years draft. In the world of RBBC every RBs upside is limited (theoretically). In my opinion, one way to combat this is by owning LOTS of RBs. This would boost the idea of taking another talented RB over a WR with the idea of building a stable of talented RBs in the new world of RBBC. By owning many RBs you can now play the injury card - if the other RB in a RBBC situation is injured maybe one of the many that you have will be getting all the carries.

* I would rather take the most talented player than take the tallest midget in the best situation. I would rather rely on "my eye" and my scouting skills. I would kick myself forever if I just relied on situation and missed out on a stud that "I knew" was talented. I'd rather "go down" utilizing my instincts rather than miss on situation...

REAPEAT!!!

I did. And to be honest, it sounds a lot like what most of the other posters here are saying. I get it. People think he's talented. It's often correct to take the talented player over the best situation because situations change. All of that makes sense to me and I've repeatedly said not only that I'll defer to his supporters on the talent evaluation, but also that I agree that he may eventually get a shot.And at a lot of positions, I agree. Do you think Davante Adams is an uber stud stuck behind a log jam at receiver in Green Bay? If so, I've got great news, because they just signed Jordy, and they have plenty of leverage when Cobb's contract comes due this year. Do you think Lattimer is a stud just waiting for his chance? Well, Welker's in the final year of his deal, DeMaryius has already had a career threatening injury in his short career, and who knows what Sanders will do. Even if it doesn't happen right away, he will get his chance. Do you think Eifert or Ertz or Ladarius Green are top talents? They all came in as backups, too. People thought New England couldn't support both Gronk and Hernandez, and they proved people wrong. You're absolutely right. The cream rises to the top eventually.

The problem is that, at running back, eventually is a huge issue. It's one thing to have an opportunity this year, but quite another to have one next year or a couple years from now. Christine Michael owners would be wise to view Robert Turbin as a cautionary tale. Hyde owners should take note of Lattimore, LMJ and Hunter, all of whom were considered the next big thing before the next next big thing arrived. And yes, Devonta Freeman owners should take note as well, because the Falcons could very well draft a running back next year before Freeman ever gets a chance to start.

But in Hill's case, there's already a stud runner on the team. Nobody in Cinci is talking about Hill displacing Gio. Nobody in this thread seems to be talking about it, either. And Gio still has three years left on his rookie contract. That's three years before Hill even has a chance to be on his own (barring injury).

If you're that high on his talent, then would you rather buy him now, at shiny new penny prices? Or later, at committee back prices. I don't know your league's specific dynamics, but I'd rather wait and try to buy low later. There are certainly leagues where it's difficult to trade, or where guys tend to fall in love with their players, and I'm not contradicting that at all. I'm just setting expectations that even if you believe that he's a super talented player, he's unlikely to provide much return on investment over the next several years beyond safe mediocrity, for all of the reasons I outlined above. And if he's not as talented as you think he is - which does happen from time to time - then he may never be more than that.

I have no idea why you give this any merit at all, plenty of coaches talk about most of their draft picks similarly.
I've also specifically mentioned the above in this thread. You're right, they were high on Jacquizz, and they did see him as an every down back. They gave him 150 touches two years ago when Turner was obviously slowing down, and he sucked. They brought in another veteran, but they still gave him a good long look last year with another 150 touches. He wasn't good enough to earn the job. But they certainly gave him as much of a chance as he earned.

Will Freeman be better than Jacquizz? I can't say. Neither can you. The draft is an inexact science. But I believe that they believed in Jacquizz, and I believe that they believe in Freeman. That may not be a ringing endorsement of their talent evaluation, but it's a nice endorsement of the opportunity he should get.

The other reason is that they have no reason to refer to him specifically as a three down back or a lead back. They could have used other words. Lots of coaches and GMs use other words to describe their backs. It's a matter of reading through the coach speak. If a coach says somebody is good it doesn't mean that they're good. If a coach says somebody is good at receiving, though, it usually means that they plan to throw them the ball. They might not be that great at receiving when all is said and done, but there's a good chance the coach is going to find out.

For a coach or GM to use the words "lead back" to describe someone they took in the fourth round - to refer to a smaller guy as a "three down back" or "feature back" when they already have a veteran who is supposed to be in that role - there's just no reason for them to use those words unless they mean them. That might not be meaningful to you, but it's definitely meaningful to me because it's indicative of the opportunity they intend to give him. If they referred to him as a good receiver, and a good pass blocker, they might still have visions of using him as a feature back some day, or they might have visions of using him a change of pace and/or third down back. If they refer to him as a good goal line guy, they might not replace SJax with him every time they get inside the 5. But they probably see it as a strength and may use him that way once in a while. But to refer to him as a feature back - there's just no reason to say those words, and repeatedly make similar comments, unless they plan to use him that way.

That's how I read coach speak, anyways. If you read it differently, you may be right and I may be wrong. Like I said, I don't believe I'm better at evaluating players than you or anyone else here, so I go off of other information, and I find stuff like this useful.

A parting thought, because I don't really want to go through every post even though there have been some good ones. I've tried to address the major points because I seem to be one of the few people on my side of the debate.

In a redraft league, you might make 20 draft choices, plus a small handful of trades, maybe a dozen or so free agent moves, and maybe 20-30 meaningful lineup decisions each week. In a dynasty league, there are even fewer draft choices, and probably fewer free agent moves, unless you're in a total rebuild or have very deep rosters.

That means that there are only a couple dozen opportunities for a skilled player to exert their skill advantage over their competition. And while we'd all like to take credit for picking up a Harry Douglas or Jarret Boykin or Riley Cooper off waivers last year, a lot of times those moves come down to luck - either having the top waiver priority at the right time, or picking the right "hot pickup" to use it on, or managing not to get outbid on the right guy when you put a big bid on the wrong guy earlier in the season. Same thing goes for lineup decisions - there are certainly some close calls where you can make better educated guesses than your peers, but there's enough variance and unknown variables that a lot of that boils down to luck, too. How many people didn't hear that there was a huge snow storm in Philly last year? How many people were pissed when they realized they would have benched McCoy if they'd known? How many people were glad that they didn't know when McCoy had his biggest game of the season in the accumulating snow drifts?

It seems like people in here are pretty emotional about this player and their talent evaluation. I wish we could keep the focus on the process instead of the player because the stuff I'm saying applies to any player in a similar situation. In general, it's a bad idea to bench a stud RB, even in bad weather. In general, it's a bad idea to spend an early pick on running back if he's joining a committee with a very talented running back who is on his rookie contract for the next three years, is headed into camp as the starter, is good on the goal line and is likely to get most of the running back targets, too. These shouldn't be controversial thoughts, but once people put a name to it, especially the name of someone they've already drafted, we get a seven page thread.

Bell and Bush is probably the best NFL comp right now. They even have the top WR talent and the young unproven First round TE to boot. Nice job Pollardsvision.
I agree.

Though Hill could be more talented than Bell as a pure rusher (Bell gets the edge as a receiving back, until proven otherwise).

Bostonfred - below are reasons that I do NOT think like you:* things change - ACLs get ruptured, degenerative conditions come about, new regimes come in...* RBBC IS EVERYWHERE - every or nearly every team will be employing RBBC after next years draft. In the world of RBBC every RBs upside is limited (theoretically). In my opinion, one way to combat this is by owning LOTS of RBs. This would boost the idea of taking another talented RB over a WR with the idea of building a stable of talented RBs in the new world of RBBC. By owning many RBs you can now play the injury card - if the other RB in a RBBC situation is injured maybe one of the many that you have will be getting all the carries.* I would rather take the most talented player than take the tallest midget in the best situation. I would rather rely on "my eye" and my scouting skills. I would kick myself forever if I just relied on situation and missed out on a stud that "I knew" was talented. I'd rather "go down" utilizing my instincts rather than miss on situation...Limited upside is going to be everywhere in the RBBC NFL...You should adapt your drafting style accordingly...
I did. And to be honest, it sounds a lot like what most of the other posters here are saying. I get it. People think he's talented. It's often correct to take the talented player over the best situation because situations change. All of that makes sense to me and I've repeatedly said not only that I'll defer to his supporters on the talent evaluation, but also that I agree that he may eventually get a shot.And at a lot of positions, I agree. Do you think Davante Adams is an uber stud stuck behind a log jam at receiver in Green Bay? If so, I've got great news, because they just signed Jordy, and they have plenty of leverage when Cobb's contract comes due this year. Do you think Lattimer is a stud just waiting for his chance? Well, Welker's in the final year of his deal, DeMaryius has already had a career threatening injury in his short career, and who knows what Sanders will do. Even if it doesn't happen right away, he will get his chance. Do you think Eifert or Ertz or Ladarius Green are top talents? They all came in as backups, too. People thought New England couldn't support both Gronk and Hernandez, and they proved people wrong. You're absolutely right. The cream rises to the top eventually.The problem is that, at running back, eventually is a huge issue. It's one thing to have an opportunity this year, but quite another to have one next year or a couple years from now. Christine Michael owners would be wise to view Robert Turbin as a cautionary tale. Hyde owners should take note of Lattimore, LMJ and Hunter, all of whom were considered the next big thing before the next next big thing arrived. And yes, Devonta Freeman owners should take note as well, because the Falcons could very well draft a running back next year before Freeman ever gets a chance to start.But in Hill's case, there's already a stud runner on the team. Nobody in Cinci is talking about Hill displacing Gio. Nobody in this thread seems to be talking about it, either. And Gio still has three years left on his rookie contract. That's three years before Hill even has a chance to be on his own (barring injury).If you're that high on his talent, then would you rather buy him now, at shiny new penny prices? Or later, at committee back prices. I don't know your league's specific dynamics, but I'd rather wait and try to buy low later. There are certainly leagues where it's difficult to trade, or where guys tend to fall in love with their players, and I'm not contradicting that at all. I'm just setting expectations that even if you believe that he's a super talented player, he's unlikely to provide much return on investment over the next several years beyond safe mediocrity, for all of the reasons I outlined above. And if he's not as talented as you think he is - which does happen from time to time - then he may never be more than that.
That is a reasonable response - and uses a lot of logic...

I am a big believer in his talent. I had him as the 2nd RB in the draft this year so I may be the wrong guy to talk to about trying to get him later.

If the Titans would have drafted Sankey and Hill I would probably rather have Hill. I like his size/talent combo over a smaller back...

I think Hill is more of a threat to Gio - than Gio is a threat to Hill...

ALWAYS take the high floor/lower ceiling player, and NEVER takes the low floor, higher ceiling player

I'm not the one saying your position is ALWAYS and NECESSARILY wrong

Is it clear what is the best choice, ALWAYS and NECESSARILY? Of course not.

ALWAYS and NECESSARILY must be the superior pick
And this is just you putting words in my mouth as you finish your multi page rant. I've stated my position. If all you get from it is ALWAYS and NECESSARILY then you don't understand what I've written. I'm done.
Rant is a confrontational word. :)

You have complained about negativity in the thread. This is how you entered the thread (or the point where I picked things up)...

"You know who's really good? Jeremey hill, thats who. Hes a stud. I mean, so is Aj green. Oh, and eifert. He's a tier one talent. And so is gresham. And that marvin jones kid. What a beast he's turned out to be. And sanu, too. But man just look at that giovanni bernard.

But forget those other guys, because if hill has an awesome year he could be a legit low end rb1. I mean, he would need to perform well enough to keep gio from being the lead back, but that's possible. He might not do it his rookie year, but hue jackson isn't going anywhere. Hue's a proven winner who will never lose his job. And forget the character concerns. I mean, its possible that there's an incident, but when is the last time a bengals player had an off field incident?

What I want to do is invest my first round rookie pick in a guy who, in his best year, might be a low end rb1, and who just has to fight for playing time against a highly touted running back, be a focal point on a team that's loaded with receiving weapons, and has character concerns, because their offensive coordinator, like every offensive coordinator ever to speak during summer said that this year, they want to run the ball more, and they like all their new players and also all of their veterans.

I don't know if that sounds reasonable to everyone else, but im going to bank my dynasty team on it."

I don't want to put words in your mouth, you may have meant that in a very humble, respectful way, but some people might interpret that "rant" as ridicule, and implying that someone thinking Hill could be a useful fantasy contributor is a fool.

Finding a more subtle, refined, sophisticated or clever way to articulate, essentially and at bottom, that an idea held by others in the thread is a terrible one, without qualifying cases where it might not be terrible, is no less negative than the more overt forms (that is a terrible idea, worst of the thread, etc.) which you complained about, but may have engendered in others. What is the difference, really, if somebody actually states terrible idea, and you imply it in a ridiculing manner?

There was an instance where you scoffed at somebody citing CIN sources (i.e. - OC Hue Jackson) stating they would run more in 2014 and presumably while he was in charge of the offense, when you did the exact same thing in citing what ATL has said about Freeman.

Criticizing people for what you call generalizations, but making countless assumptions and generalizations yourself.

There is a consistent pattern and theme throughout the thread of being quick to fault and criticize others for doing some of the exact same things you have done yourself. Multiple people have pointed this out, but you haven't been receptive to these kinds of observations.

I'm going to give your post #253 the same selective editing treatment, in the previous exchange, responding to a post in which I said I didn't view Hill as a first round pick.

"I am advocating against spending an early pick on hill.

But in a draft this deep, its a crime to take a low upside player early.

But for a first round pick, I don't want someone whose upside is good but not dominant.

I just think that a top 30 back with top 20 upside is a bad pick in the first round.

But there are plenty of backup rbs who would excel if someone got hurt, and none of them are worth a first round rookie pick.

you could trade your first round pick right now for a serviceable rb2 type and a backup rb who would do well if their starter got hurt, and you'd still get more in return.

Or, if you don't think that's unfair, then tell me why you would spend a first round pick on a guy like that?

for a first round pick, I think you take the higher upside guy, or trade the pick, but you don't settle for the lower upside guy even if you love his talent."

After I said I don't view him as a first rounder, you go out of your way and make it a point to mention it no less than eight times. Beat the subject to death much?

You have said other people have mentioned him as a first rounder, but again, you have done this most persistently. I'm not sure if everybody else in the thread combined mentioned him as a first rounder as many as the eight times you did in that one post. It seems to be a bee in your bonnet. Its not like I'm the only one that is puzzled by the relentless attempt to reframe the narrative around the theme that he isn't worth a high pick or a first rounder (its come up two other times in this page alone). One time in the thread you mentioned he was worth a LOW second, but that was lost amidst a torrential deluge of, he isn't worth a high pick or first, he isn't worth a high pick or first, he isn't worth a high pick or firsts posts. If you are being as precise, accurate and exacting with your own language as the standard you are holding others up to, it would be fairer to say that with more second round picks than not, you don't think he is worth that pick, only a LOW second round pick. You don't think he is worth a high or first round pick. But you also don't think he is worth a high second pick. Or a mid-second pick (unless you have since modified or otherwise softened or backpedaled on your position and not mentioned it).

Maybe I should have said, vast majority of the time, you seem to be implying the high upside/low floor pick is better than the high floor/low ceiling pick. I think in most of the cases, the few times you qualified it to take into account different roster compositions, it was only after the prompting of others. There were many posts in which it wasn't cautiously qualified, but very stridently (paraphrasing) phrased that Hill was a bad pick and Freeman a good pick. The thrust of your running commentary hasn't remotely given equal time to the prospect that, hey, maybe Hill is a better pick in some circumstances, and Freeman a worse one. Communication is a two way process, so if you haven't been sufficiently clear on what your actual position is (other than that you don't think he is worth a first round pick, which you have been ABUNDANTLY clear on - but unfortunately that is an answer to a question that most people don't seem to be asking or as interested in as you), you may want to consider the possibility that you share some reponsibility for that, rather than reflexively criticizing others with what seems to be a hair trigger.

* I should have qualified the above points - except when you acknowledged and accounted for things like different roster compositions. But to suggest anything other than the thrust and emphasis of your running commentary throughout the thread, in the absence of those qualifiers (which again, others had to prompt you to account for, they aren't in most of your posts, and not everybody coming into the thread reads every post), has been, you think a "low upside" pick like Hill is a bad idea, and a "high upside" pick like Freeman is a good idea, is not only contravened by the general tenor of your posts in the thread, but laughable.

You seem to be very comfortable questioning and criticizing others (often for the same things you are doing yourself). Not so much when the shoe is on the other foot. If you are going to question and criticize others, I take that as tacit acknowledgement you are prepared to answer questions and criticisms in kind on your own positions. If this is one-sided, and you only want to criticize, but not be criticized, maybe it would be fair to state that up front before engaging others, as they may not be interested in such a one sided exchange (or being lashed out at for seemingly innocuous observations and questions).

I wasn't looking for a "confrontation" in observing you seem to be heavily fixated on the not worth a first round business. If you want to have that conversation with others who do think that, have it with them. When stating in the previous exchange that I DIDN'T think that, and you rather heavyhandedly bulldozed my objection eight times in one post, it's hard for me to not conclude that you seem fixated on it. When relatively few people in the thread you are participating in state they took him with a first, and the majority state that wasn't the case, and this is pointed out to you several times, and you continue to harp on that theme repeatedly like a one note kazoo, I found it before, and still do... ODD. Not diabolical. Not nefarious. Just, ODD (and maybe biased in coverage and thematic thrust/emphasis). That was the observation I started with. To immediately start talking about confrontations, and lead up to escalating to characterizations of rants with a reaction completely incommensurate to and disproportionate with what prompted it, is the thread/board equivalent of somebody asking you for the time in a bar, and you breaking a beer bottle over their head. You just don't seem to be as keen on having your own assumptions and generalizations (and there have been many in the thread on your part) vetted, as you do in probing and scrutinizing them in others. That inconsistency has been a recurring theme in the thread.

I never thought of bostonfred as the type to go fishing.... But I'm starting to think that's what this is. I don't understand all the confrontational behavior.

One thing that fred is saying about the upside potential for Hill that resonates with me is that as long as Bernard is healthy, Hills ceiling will be capped, because of sharing touches with Bernard. That is a long term outlook for him, while other RB have a more clear path at this time to become the featured RB for their team in the near to long term.

BJGE finished 22nd and 39th in PPR the last 2 seasons. Benson finished 26th in similar role the season before that. 2 of those seasons the Bengals did not have Bernard, and the one that they did have Bernard is when the RB 39 season for BJGE happened.

Now Hill is likely a better player than the law firm as a runner and I was a bit surprised myself with the numbers I had for him after doing projections. But even so I do not really see him putting up better than RB18 numbers without an injury to Bernard.

So Hill will be valuable as a RB18-30 type player while some of the other rookie RB prospects might be able to do more than that as a feature back if things fall right for them.

I see things in a similar way but I consider Hill to be in the same tier as Hyde, Freeman, Williams, Sims, Mason and perhaps West as well. I consider Hyde and Freeman to have better chances of becoming the featured RB for their teams by 2015 because of the age of the incumbent RBs being 31 years old this season. Meanwhile Hill, Sims, Williams, Mason and West may be in time share situations for their entire rookie contracts. Which then comes back to the talent evaluation and the idea of the creme rising to the top.

I do not see Hill ever rising above Bernard without an injury to Bernard clearing the way for him. I see similar obstacles for Sims and Mason. Williams too if Wilson is ever healthy enough to earn significant playing time or similarly with Hyde if Lattimore becomes healthy enough to compete for playing time. Ranking these players in the same tier in part is based on what I think each players chances are of being able earn that opportunity in the short term. 2014-2015

I think Freeman is more of a risk of additional competition from the draft or free agency in 2015 than Hyde because of the difference in draft capital invested. But you never know about that as evidenced by the Bengals drafting the 1st and then 2nd RB in back to back drafts.

Why does he have to be top 5, or even top 10, to justify a pick somewhere before the "late second"?
They don't. But given the choice of a bird in the hand or two in the bush, give me the two in the bush. Fantasy leagues aren't won with middling players. If your team happens to be loaded at almost every position and just a middling RB away from contention, I can certainly understand taking the safe play ahead of the higher reward, but in almost any other situation, whether I were strong at every position, or a couple players away, or just a middling team myself, or in a total rebuild, I'd be looking for upside that Hill simply doesn't have.

When people post their actual projections for Hill, even the most optimistic have him as a high end RB2 type. There are very few leagues where you should be starting a guy who you optimistically project to be a RB2. With the current minefield of committees out there, you want guys who are either the unquestioned starter, or get the bulk of the work in their RBBC and the highest value work.

Is Hill going to get receptions? Sure. Is he going to get more receptions than Gio? Doubtful. His receiving totals are capped, not by his skillset, but by the depth of quality receiving targets.

Is he going to get the touchdowns? It seems easy to pencil him in for the bulk of the TDs, but Gio was no slouch in that department last year, and Hue hasn't really used an exclusive goal line back. I think it's reasonable to project double digit TDs for him, but it's an optimistic projection. And without big receiving numbers, rushing TDs only go so far, in PPR or non.

Is he going to get the bulk of the carries? The projections in here range from about 35-55% of the carries, and rarely much more. So the optimistic thought is that he's get half the carries, less than half the receptions, and a little more than half of the touchdowns, while the Bengals rush more than ever before, don't split the pie between anyone except Gio and Hill, and are still efficient enough to get lots of goal line opportunities but run more than pass when they get there despite having two good tight ends and a deep core of receivers as well. In any given year, is it possible that those things all pan out for him? Sure. Is it realistic to project them to happen year after year? I don't think so. And that makes him less valuable over the next several years than a player who has a legitimate path to stud numbers.
Not they, he. Hill. Freeman isn't two in the bush, he is one in the bush. If Freeman turns into a Rolls Royce, bully for you, that is better than a Mercedes Benz. If he turns into a donkey, that is a lot worse, and a wasted pick. I agree it approaches probalistic certainty Hill is not better than top 10-15, barring an injury to Bernard. But without making some form of attempt or effort to determine the probablility of Freeman ever becoming a top 5-10 RB (the standard you are holding Hill to, or else he is a bad pick) and maintaining a stranglehold on that role for a period of years (again, a standard you are holding Hill to, or else he is a bad pick), and what the odds are of him being a Rolls Royce instead of the donkey behind door #3, that this advice isn't intelligible or that useful, AS FORMULATED AND STATED.

If Hill is a top 15 RB, in a 14 or 16 team league, that is a low end RB1 or elite RB2, I'm not getting the middling part. You haven't demonstrated that fantasy leagues are conversely won by inferior talents with a higher chance of busting or becoming marginalized, because of some hypothetical, nebulous "better situation" that may never be realized and could evaporate the instant the team either drafts, acquires via free agency or trades for a more talented player. IMO, sloganeering (you don't win with middling talents, etc.) isn't a strong basis on which to sculpt the contours of the narrative. If we don't know what the probable risk of Freeman busting or being marginalized is, it is hard to summarily say that it was worth that risk to try and get a top 5-10 RB (the possibility of which happening is another EXTREMELY fuzzy variable). Solve the equation, X + 10 = Z. What are X and Z?

If Freeman busts or isn't as good as Hill, the pick didn't work out, bottom line. Talk about his higher ceiling would be rendered moot and irrelevant. It would have been better to have a "middling" high RB2 than nothing. There could be many situations you haven't accounted for where a high RB2 was useful, not just the few you have narrowly attempted to circumscribe. I understand what you are saying. You should be starting two RBs you project to be top 10 or better. But many teams don't have that. Its great that you have high aspirations for Freeman, but if some teams don't have two top 5-10 RBs, it would have been better to get the high RB2 than Freeman, if he ends up not being as productive as Hill.

Recognizing and identifying RBs more likely to be unquestioned starters, RBs that gets the bulk of carries in a RBBC or that do the highest value work is great if you can do it. Generally, typically, that falls to more and not less talented RBs. Sometimes an open hole like a mine shaft can have gold or diamonds in it. More often, it may be abandoned and worthless. Its not enough to anecdotally point out that lesser talents sometimes fill holes, can be catapulted into top 5-10 status and occupy that niche in their RBBC eco-system for a multi-year period. Sometimes grannies smoke 10 packs a day and live to a 100. That doesn't make me think smoking isn't unhealthy. :) Have you really attempted to account for, in a historical sense, all the Isaiah Pead's for which their team's characterized as having "three down skill sets" and "starting RB material" and didn't work out so great? Because if you have, I haven't seen it, or anything even preliminary along those lines. And in the absence of that, the conviction with which some of the slogans, precepts and unsupported "axioms" (you don't win with middling talents, etc.) are being wielded, may not be warranted, imo. STL was very likely as high on Pead as ATL is on Freeman, maybe higher, they spent a second on him. The road to fantasy championships is strewn with the corpses of Peads and countless RBs like him. Other teams thought their RBs ran and caught well, and worked on their blocking, too. Freeman doesn't have any special distinction in that regard from the myriad failures with similar profiles and backgrounds that preceded him. Why should we think it will be different this time, which is the basis for recommending a less talented, huge maybe and question mark (to ever be top 5-10) with a purportedly higher upside, but one that is very nebulous (as if ATL isn't likely to draft, acquire in free agency or trade for a RB to replace or compete with him for the next several years - when so many teams are doing exactly that, even to RBs more talented that Freeman?). Because the coaches have said good things about him (again, they did about Pead, and many other RBs like him, too)? That is a foundation that could be less like concrete and more like wisps of fog.

If Freeman busts or is marginalized, how many receptions or TDs is he going to get? We need to account for that possibility, too.

Will Freeman get the bulk of the carries for the next several years, if he busts or is marginalized, because of something as obvious as being replaced or a competitor brought in through multiple future drafts, free agency cycles or trades, which we can't foresee now. Should we assume that won't happen just because the risk can't be weighed exactly from our current vantage point?

I find the aggregated scenarios in which Hill gets half or more of the carries, more than half the TDs, CIN running more (Jackson has said they will, I take this at face value), the plodding Law Firm not getting fed a lot at the expense of the far more talented and explosive Hill, and that if Hill converts a high percentage of goal line opps and plays an integral role in a winning formula, CIN would chooses to continue this rather than abandon it more likley, even over a several year period, than that a less talented RB would ever rise up to top 5-10 status, let alone sustain it over a multi-year period. I don't even know if Gresham will be in CIN in 2015, personally I find it unlikely, so in my case, a criteria like that wouldn't influence my decision in this instance to take a player that I think has inferior talent, for a nebuluous better situation that may not even be that as soon as next year.

If Freeman busts or is marginalized, he will be less valuable than a high RB2. Once again (AGAIN!! :) ), you don't get to declare victory before it happens. You are welcome to your opinion. Stating it more strenuously, vehemently or often doesn't make it more right, or any less of a subjective opinion.

What other rookie RB in that neighborhood is likely to provide that kind of value. What WR drafted in that region is likely to provide the value of a top 5-10 RB (the advice to take a WR is a bit vague and abstract without citing specific examples of who you have in mind as being a better use of the pick)?
There's a long list of receivers who are virtually interchangeable in rookie drafts. After Watkins and Evans, there seems to be some consensus on Matthews, Cooks and Beckham, as well as Adams, Benjamin, Lattimer, Lee, Robinson, and Moncrief. All of those guys have WR1 or WR2 potential. You can make a case for some and against others. I don't care which ones you like or don't, and my specific list isn't the point here.

Some or all of the rookie QBs and at least Ebron, if not ASJ and Amaro, have stud potential. In most leagues I'd consider some or all of them ahead of Hill.

At running back, Sankey, Hyde, and now a growing consensus on Freeman that didn't exist when I was first posting in this thread are all better bets because all three of them have an opportunity to be the dominant back on their team.

But Mason, West and even Andre Williams, who I don't personally like, all have a legitimate path to stardom as well. It's up to the reader to decide how much risk they're willing to take for the chance at a stud vs. the security of a seemingly talented but equally unproven committee back who has a good chance to get 30-55% of the carries for his team.

And even guys like Ka'Deem Carey, Jerrick McKinnon, James White, Storm Johnson and Charles Sims have a path to their starting jobs. In Carey, Sims and McKinnon's cases, they'd need to beat out a good, established veteran. White and Johnson don't have that established player in front of them, but they're still going to have to fight for a chance at their jobs. Out of that group, for my money, I take Carey and Sims, because I think their skill set matches what their coaches are looking for in a starter. Would I take them ahead of Hill? Depends on my team structure. Again, it's up to the reader to decide what's appropriate for their league.
Most of these WRs were long gone before Hill went in my drafts, so they wouldn't have been realistic options. The exceptions might be Adams, Robinson and Moncrief. But if we are going to point out how Hill could be capped from more than RB2 status by Bernard, shouldn't we also point out that if Nelson and Cobb are going to be around long term, that caps Adams upside as well. What if Adams ends up being a low end WR2. Would that make him a middling talent with which "you don't win championships with"? Why would a low end WR2 be better than a high end RB2? What if Robinson is marginalized by Lee and Shorts (who JAX may be interested in extending)? What if Moncrief is marginalized by Hilton and Nicks? Not to mention some scouts think he has hinky hands, which would make his projection murky at best (lots of great athlete busts).

It is important to talk about these WRs specifically, because otherwise, the advice to just get a WR instead could be baseless, if you don't have better ones to offer than Hill's potential value. I'm not able to draft the prospect - vague generality in any of my leagues.

You have talked about what other people have talked about, which usually means Hill isn't worth a high, first round pick, even though more people in the thread have said he isn't a first round pick. I'm more interested in talking about what YOU think about Hill's valuation, which you pegged at no higher than a late second. Why is that important? Because in order for you to have a coherent valuation and position on Hill relative to other positions, and to recommend taking a WR instead, you have to produce some prospects that actually could have been drafted in lieu of Hill, NO HIGHER THAN A LATE SECOND (that are capable of being better than "middling"). This is where I think your valuation breaks down, and may not be the stuff of good advice, with all due respect. Because going by the above list, zero WRs you put forth would typically be available in the late second. With regards to the WRs, this puts you in a bit of a pickle or dilemna. You need to volunteer some later WRs that actually would be available in the late second. Or, possibly adjust your valuation of Hill up. This point has been brought up multiple times. As far as I can tell, this was the first time you have taken a serious crack at it. The fact that it isn't passing the smell test (you are resorting to recommending taking WRs that aren't there in the late second), isn't an encouraging sign and doesn't instill confidence in your Hill valuation. Or maybe you were going with mysterious "other people" valuation of an inexplicable high first. In which case, try again with YOUR stated late second valuation. If you can.

I don't recall any of my drafts where the top 3 QBs weren't gone by the late second. I could see preferring ASJ or Amaro over Hill (but is it realistic to think Ebron wouldn't be gone by the late second - if the reason you aren't advocating Hill is because you think others would have been better to take Ebron instead, and he is long gone, that doesn't add up). And if some teams are set at TE, that wouldn't be a viable option for them. You eventually qualified your "Hill is a bad pick" generalizations to account for factors like individual roster composition, but only after repeated promptings (the entry post, implying that picking Hill was a terrible, foolish idea, is an example of the at times strident and unqualified manner in which you initially communicated - and than expressed unironic surprise at being misunderstood by others).

What drafts can you get Sankey, Hyde, Freeman (or Mason) in the late second as an alternative to Hill? Pretty much none. So again, YOUR Hill valuation (not talking about what some people talked about other people talking about what other people talked about, ad infinitum) isn't really passing the smell test, now that we have moved beyond the vague, overgeneral exhortations, just take a different player instead. Very little is adding up here. But others have attempted to explain this throughout the thread. You seem to be just discovering it. It isn't easy (for me, anyways, and seemingly some others) to identify a voluminous supply of top 5-10 prospects at any possible position of need just before the late second of 12-14 team leagues, such that Hill would usually be the wrong choice in most cases.

West could end up doing better than Hill. He also isn't as talented and could do worse, if Tate fulfills his potential, is extended and receives the bulk of the carries. Williams could also do better, or worse. What is a "legit path to stardom" worth or mean, if Williams has a remote chance of being the next Michael Turner. How likely is he to ever be top 5-10, if he has cinder blocks for hands? Wasn't that earlier grounds to dismiss Hill's prospects at being consistently productive, and if so, why would Williams be exempt? Maybe he gets 300 carries, 1,500 yards and 15 TDs, anything is possible. Jennings is 29 and Wilson was just hospitalized with a stinger yesterday. But I find that upside a lot less likely than Hill fulfilling his.

I realize that your are expressing Hill's carry potential as a range, but imo the chance of Bernard getting something like 70% of the carries and Hill 30% in a RBBC, long term, are even more remote than Williams being the next Michael Turner, so when the reader is doing high floor/low ceiling vs. low floor/high ceiling risk assessment, that low end of the range may be highly skewed and inaccurate in future seasons.

I dislike all the other/later RBs you mentioned more than Freeman, so I would have the same or even bigger concerns than I did in his case. You might just end up having to roster those RBs longer and let them languish on the reserve/depth bench and in backup limbo even longer (being behind younger RBs than Jackson), only to see them possibly suffer an identical fate. Be either outright replaced in the draft, free agency or via trade by a more talented RB in several years, or marginalized by being relegated to a lesser RBBC role than Hill, but with a less talented RB to show for it in the end, after a potentially long, anti-climactic wait. Many of these later RBs would make more sense to me as handcuffs, but as you noted, to each his own.

If you had used qualifying language like the below summation a bit more often in the thread, I wouldn't have questioned your position as much (and than the exchange might not have degenerated to the same unfortunate degree). But, yeah, the important thing is, I very much agree with the last, especially the flexible and inclusive spirit in which you expressed it.

"Would I take them ahead of Hill? Depends on my team structure. Again, it's up to the reader to decide what's appropriate for their league."

Bob, I went line by line through a very long post of yours and answered specific questions you asked. For example, you brought up the first round pick thing, and asked me who specifically I would take ahead of him. I answered with a list of names, and explained why I might take some of them ahead of him. I didn't try to make this about me or my rankings or you or yours. I answered your questions and broke them into separate posts for readability. I am disappointed that you want to keep arguing about previous posts after I tried to engage you. You seem laser focused on things that are peripheral to my point and instead of addressing my most recent posts, all in response to your questions, you go back to old posts. I will try one more time.

Lets start with this: forget about freeman. I understand that you don't like freeman. I don't care if you like freeman. I don't expect you to care if I like freeman. This is a big message board and people will have differing opinions on players. I care about improving the process, not the results. The process of picking high upside players - and by that I mean guys who fit the mold of top players at their position - yields more top players than the process of picking low upside players. Its as simple as that. Taking hill obviously wont singlehandedly ruin your team, but taking guys like hill is -ev in the long run. If you take a bunch of guys who are likely to be rb2s, but highly unlikely to be rb1s, then don't be surprised when you don't have any rb1s on your team, and don't call it good strategy that you picked a rb2 because you weren't lucky enough to end up with a rb1. Its the necessary result of a player selection strategy.

You've made a good point, and so have many of the others on here, that the process of taking less talented players is also a bad strategy. That's perfectly valid and if you think freeman doesn't have enough talent to produce as a rb1, or just think its not likely, then don't draft him. That's a very reasonable stance. Don't compare his talent to hill when they are in different situations. That's a bad process. hill could be more talented and produce less. Situation doesn't trump talent, or vice versa. You have to look at both.

You conclude your post by saying that freeman could be worth nothing. I also addressed this in my line by line response to your direct points. If freeman (or any high upside rb you draft) busts, you're right, they are worth nothing. But that doesn't mean you start a zero in your lineup each week. If you have a roster with rb1 and rb25 on it, and you draft rb18, then you will start rb1 and rb18. You improved your rb2 spot a little, but not enough to make a huge difference to your team. If you draft a guy with a chance to be rb3 or rb300, and he ends up rb3, you get to start rb1 and rb3. If he ends up being rb300, you still get to start rb1 and rb25. How much you're willing to gamble on that slight chance at rb3 numbers (or whatever your project their ceiling as) is left up to you to decide.

I don't care if you like freeman, don't like freeman, think his ceiling is rb7 instead of rb3, or think his odds of being rb3 are very low. That's up to you to fill in those blanks. At your request, in response to your post, I've explained why I think he has upside, referencing 40 times, skills and the teams comments. But it doesn't matter what I think about freeman because my point is and always has been about the process. If you think freeman sucks and will never start a game in the nfl, don't draft him.

I also don't care if you like hills talent. Doesn't matter to me one bit. Draft him if you want. Dont if you don't. I don't need to know. I believe it is wrongheaded to take low ceiling players in most cases. I've outlined why. No need to rehash it. But again, in specific response to your post, I addressed why taking a touchdown dependent low ceiling player can be worse for your team than drafting a bust. The variance for players who get relatively fewer touches, less receiving, but good tds is very high. This means you're likely to miss his high scoring games, and likely to end up chasing points when you benched him week 1 and he blew up, so you start him week 2 and he sucks. Obviously the opposite can be true, too, but its less likely, specifically because fantasy owners rarely start a player who hasn't been producing recently. You can mitigate that by just starting him every week, but now you're locking in low end production on your team, while other guys in your league are getting rb1production from their rb2 slot. Redraft, dynasty, Drafting high ceiling low floor talent doesn't guarantee success but it gives you a chance to get lucky. Drafting touchdown dependent low ceiling players is like screwing yourself in advance.

If you don't think he's touchdown dependent or low ceiling, feel free to draft him. Most of the projections in this thread have him getting the bulk of his points from tds, though, and none of them have him in the top ten. That's exactly what I mean by touchdown dependent, low ceiling. Its a bad type of player to pick.

So Hill will be valuable as a RB18-30 type player while some of the other rookie RB prospects might be able to do more than that as a feature back if things fall right for them.

I do not see Hill ever rising above Bernard without an injury to Bernard clearing the way for him. I see similar obstacles for Sims and Mason. Williams too if Wilson is ever healthy enough to earn significant playing time or similarly with Hyde if Lattimore becomes healthy enough to compete for playing time. Ranking these players in the same tier in part is based on what I think each players chances are of being able earn that opportunity in the short term. 2014-2015
Hill will do more than RB18 if things break right for him as well. Why is this being ignored? One such thing is mentioned in your post and it is the exact same thing that the other RBs NEED for things to break right for them. An injury to the incumbent. If Gio goes down for any sort of time what do you think will happen to Hill, RB18 - RB30 performance? I'd move that range to RB8 - RB18 in light of that. Also, why do you not see Hill ever rising above Gio? This seems to be another assumption anti-Hill folks are clinging too. There is a chance, a good chance actually, Hill is simply a better RB than Gio. Perhaps Gio is the better overall weapon thanks to his pass catching ability and open field acum but Hill is the better traditional RB. In this stacked offense of great weapons Gio only managed 4.1 YPA last year. I'd say his YPA was marginally better than the guy everyone is quick to point out sucked, BJGE who was at 3.4. Consider this, BJGE faced 8 men in the box on 20.86% of his carries. Gio's percentage of 8 men in the box carries was so low it doesn't even register in the report, it was bellow 6.05%. Moreover, Gio has a DVOA ranking of 27 last year among RBs, BJGE was at 37. So yeah he was better but 27 isn't exactly setting the bar high is it? Why are we treating Gio like some perennial All Pro here?

So, I could easily see a situation in the next few years, heck maybe even this year, where Hill becomes the RBa and moves Gio to the RBb role in that offense. Somehow people have ignored this concept altogether in the midst of the love afair most seem to have with Gio. It's a real possibly, though.

You have talked about what other people have talked about, which usually means Hill isn't worth a high, first round pick, even though more people in the thread have said he isn't a first round pick. I'm more interested in talking about what YOU think about Hill's valuation, which you pegged at no higher than a late second. Why is that important? Because in order for you to have a coherent valuation and position on Hill relative to other positions, and to recommend taking a WR instead, you have to produce some prospects that actually could have been drafted in lieu of Hill, NO HIGHER THAN A LATE SECOND (that are capable of being better than "middling"). This is where I think your valuation breaks down, and may not be the stuff of good advice, with all due respect. Because going by the above list, zero WRs you put forth would typically be available in the late second. With regards to the WRs, this puts you in a bit of a pickle or dilemna. You need to volunteer some later WRs that actually would be available in the late second. Or, possibly adjust your valuation of Hill up. This point has been brought up multiple times. As far as I can tell, this was the first time you have taken a serious crack at it. The fact that it isn't passing the smell test (you are resorting to recommending taking WRs that aren't there in the late second), isn't an encouraging sign and doesn't instill confidence in your Hill valuation. Or maybe you were going with mysterious "other people" valuation of an inexplicable high first. In which case, try again with YOUR stated late second valuation. If you can.

I don't recall any of my drafts where the top 3 QBs weren't gone by the late second. I could see preferring ASJ or Amaro over Hill (but is it realistic to think Ebron wouldn't be gone by the late second - if the reason you aren't advocating Hill is because you think others would have been better to take Ebron instead, and he is long gone, that doesn't add up). And if some teams are set at TE, that wouldn't be a viable option for them. You eventually qualified your "Hill is a bad pick" generalizations to account for factors like individual roster composition, but only after repeated promptings (the entry post, implying that picking Hill was a terrible, foolish idea, is an example of the at times strident and unqualified manner in which you initially communicated - and than expressed unironic surprise at being misunderstood by others).

What drafts can you get Sankey, Hyde, Freeman (or Mason) in the late second as an alternative to Hill? Pretty much none. So again, YOUR Hill valuation (not talking about what some people talked about other people talking about what other people talked about, ad infinitum) isn't really passing the smell test, now that we have moved beyond the vague, overgeneral exhortations, just take a different player instead. Very little is adding up here. But others have attempted to explain this throughout the thread. You seem to be just discovering it. It isn't easy (for me, anyways, and seemingly some others) to identify a voluminous supply of top 5-10 prospects at any possible position of need just before the late second of 12-14 team leagues, such that Hill would usually be the wrong choice in most cases.
This has to be the most confusing part of bostonfred's argument. He is clinging to this notion that Hill isn't worth a high 1st round pick and and unless I've missed it somewhere I've yet to see that argument presented. I didn't pay a 1st round price for Hill, I paid a mid 2nd. That seems in line with his actual ADp which from what I see has ranged from 2.01 - 2.09 over the past 3 months.

One thing that fred is saying about the upside potential for Hill that resonates with me is that as long as Bernard is healthy, Hills ceiling will be capped, because of sharing touches with Bernard. That is a long term outlook for him, while other RB have a more clear path at this time to become the featured RB for their team in the near to long term.

BJGE finished 22nd and 39th in PPR the last 2 seasons. Benson finished 26th in similar role the season before that. 2 of those seasons the Bengals did not have Bernard, and the one that they did have Bernard is when the RB 39 season for BJGE happened.

Now Hill is likely a better player than the law firm as a runner and I was a bit surprised myself with the numbers I had for him after doing projections. But even so I do not really see him putting up better than RB18 numbers without an injury to Bernard.

I see things in a similar way but I consider Hill to be in the same tier as Hyde, Freeman, Williams, Sims, Mason and perhaps West as well. I consider Hyde and Freeman to have better chances of becoming the featured RB for their teams by 2015 because of the age of the incumbent RBs being 31 years old this season. Meanwhile Hill, Sims, Williams, Mason and West may be in time share situations for their entire rookie contracts. Which then comes back to the talent evaluation and the idea of the creme rising to the top.

I think Freeman is more of a risk of additional competition from the draft or free agency in 2015 than Hyde because of the difference in draft capital invested. But you never know about that as evidenced by the Bengals drafting the 1st and then 2nd RB in back to back drafts.
What if Hill is just simply a better player and better fit for Jackson's system than Bernard is? We haven't seen him play but maybe he's better than Bernard. It's not likely but not implausible either. Both were picked near the same spot in the draft.

What if Adams ends up being a low end WR2. Would that make him a middling talent with which "you don't win championships with"? Why would a low end WR2 be better than a high end RB2? What if Robinson is marginalized by Lee and Shorts (who JAX may be interested in extending)? What if Moncrief is marginalized by Hilton and Nicks? Not to mention some scouts think he has hinky hands, which would make his projection murky at best (lots of great athlete busts).

It is important to talk about these WRs specifically, because otherwise, the advice to just get a WR instead could be baseless, if you don't have better ones to offer than Hill's potential value. I'm not able to draft the prospect - vague generality in any of my leagues.
I started posting that last bit before seeing you had another post. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

You still seem laser focused on this first round vs. late second round thing. Im not. If youre picking and dont like anyone left better than him, draft him. Just recognize that for most teams, players like this aren't really an asset.

Why is a wr2 a potential asset and a rb2 not? Again, it depends on league format, but in most leagues I've played in, you're allowed to start more than two receivers. wr21 is almost worthless in a ten team league that starts two receivers. Wr21 is a decent start in a twelve teamer where you have to start three.

Equally important, though, is that there's less of a ceiling for receivers. If davante adams is talented, he can be a wr1. Why not? There's hundreds of targets to go around. It only takes 150 or so to put up wr1 numbers. Unlike gio/bernard, there's also a chance that a spot opens up with cobb in the final year of his contract.. and unlike gio/bernard, adams may actually be good enough to get those targets even if a spot doesn't open up.

You also bring up what ifs. What if moncrief or robinson are marginalized by the players on their teams. That's fundamentally different from what we are talking about with hill. That makes me think you just don't get my point. its possible that moncrief sucks. Its possible that he's awesome. We don't know. That makes him a high upside, low floor pick. Many guys fall into that category. Its up to you to decide which ones to take.

Hill does not fall into that category. He is a low upside player due to his situation. Not just the rbbc, but the whole situation. there is virtually nothing he could do to get stud rb1 numbers. Nobody in this thread, even his most ardent supporters, have made the case that he's talented enough to shove gio aside. He simply isn't likely to get stud numbers in the next three years, minimum, and that's a huge portion of his career.

Moncrief could play for 15 years. He could wash out in 3. We don't know. But his upside is andrew lucks number one receiver, which is a high upside role. Lee and robinson have potentially high upside, too, especially if you believe in bortles. How much upside? Thats up to you to decide. But the point is that they are not structurally flawed like hill.

Hill does not fall into that category. He is a low upside player due to his situation. Not just the rbbc, but the whole situation. there is virtually nothing he could do to get stud rb1 numbers. Nobody in this thread, even his most ardent supporters, have made the case that he's talented enough to shove gio aside. He simply isn't likely to get stud numbers in the next three years, minimum, and that's a huge portion of his career.
Yes, many people have argued against this including me.

Also, why do you not see Hill ever rising above Gio? This seems to be another assumption anti-Hill folks are clinging too. There is a chance, a good chance actually, Hill is simply a better RB than Gio. Perhaps Gio is the better overall weapon thanks to his pass catching ability and open field acum but Hill is the better traditional RB. In this stacked offense of great weapons Gio only managed 4.1 YPA last year. I'd say his YPA was marginally better than the guy everyone is quick to point out sucked, BJGE who was at 3.4. Consider this, BJGE faced 8 men in the box on 20.86% of his carries. Gio's percentage of 8 men in the box carries was so low it doesn't even register in the report, it was bellow 6.05%. Moreover, Gio has a DVOA ranking of 27 last year among RBs, BJGE was at 37. So yeah he was better but 27 isn't exactly setting the bar high is it? Why are we treating Gio like some perennial All Pro here?

So, I could easily see a situation in the next few years, heck maybe even this year, where Hill becomes the RBa and moves Gio to the RBb role in that offense. Somehow people have ignored this concept altogether in the midst of the love afair most seem to have with Gio. It's a real possibly, though.
I've asked about this and for the most part, nobody has said that hill is good enough to "brush gio aside", for lack of a better term. Most of the projections peak with ok yards, high tds. If you believe that he can get the receptions, and higher end total yardage numbers, then its understandable to like him better. But theres a lot of headwind to that projection. I can't and wont argue with your evaluation of his talent, but the probability is necessarily low because gio has already shown it and the coaches seem to want to increase his role, while hill hasn't even shown that he can play in the nfl yet.

Users who are viewing this thread