What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Marqise 'albino tiger' Lee, Patriots (1 Viewer)

Lee is not ahead of Robinson on the depth chart. They don't play the same "position".

They may have chosen Lee ahead of Robinson because they wanted to secure a Blackmon replacement. Robinson becoming a Shorts replacement may have been secondary.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. Lee is ahead of him on the depth chart, regardless of the position they play. Lee is first string, Robinson second string. Maybe Robinson moves up but that's where it stands now.Jack made a decision to a place Lee in the vacated Blackmon role, the most important role in the offense for WR. They could have easily made the decision to place Robinson there had they felt he was the better player. This again seems to validate they like him more as a player.

We all know you hate Lee and I'm sure you will look for any way possible to twist this, but there really isn't a whole lot of validity to it.
Twist? How about this? Lee gets the "easy" targets because he's less talented. He needs to be "forcefed" the ball in that offense just like Kendall Wright does. Robinson will be used more downfield because he's more talented.

Lee is first string only because Cecil Shorts doesn't play Z. There isn't anyone else talented enough to play Z over Lee. Those are facts. At X, Shorts has proven very capable that they can't just automatically hand Robinson the job there. Robinson isn't playing Z because he can do a lot more than catch 5-yard passes. Ironically, Robinson was very good on screens in college.

"The vacated Blackmon role" is the most important role in the offense for a WR because???

In the 3 complete games in 2013 that Shorts and Blackmon played together Shorts had the edge in targets: 34 to 28. Shorts left the Denver game in the 1st quarter due to injury and Blackmon got 20 total targets.

If Lee was more talented why isn't he playing outside exclusively? Let's see Lee play outside at the X and Robinson in the slot and see who's more talented.

The narrative could easily be: Robinson is first string because he plays Z. Lee has to fight Shorts because they want him at X.
This is a cyclical argument and doesn't really provide much to the discussion. In other words, Robinson is a superior talent but not talented enough to move Lee out of his starting role at Z. In your words,"Robinson isn't playing Z because he can do a lot more than catch 5-yard passes."

If Robinson is so talented and can do what Lee can plus, why isn't Jack at least starting there with him and simply getting the best 11 on the field? You know like just about every team tries to do. Teams generally want their most talented players on the field.

You ask the question of why isn't Lee playing outside if he's more talented. A question that is just as applicable, more so actually, is why isn't Robinson playing inside if he's so much more talented? See, it's cyclical.

The narrative could easily be that Lee is playing the Z because he is the most talented WR on the team in the eyes of Jack and that is the opening they have currently. You know, along the lines of the earlier mention of getting the best 11 on the field one way or another.

Perhaps it's a bit of both. It's possible they are equally talented, or at least very close, just in different ways. Lee happens to fall into a more fortunate position of immediate impact thanks to his skill set where as Robinson, not so much. I could agree with this but your overriding theme of Lee sucks just again, falls short. Maybe he crash and burns in the NFL. We will see. The issue at hand is that he has immediate opportunity. Reason that away however you want, it doesn't change his opportunity. It may just cause you to miss it.

Yeah, Lee has a better opportunity at this time but I think you're overstating it. Robinson will get plenty of looks in 3WR sets and Lee will probably go to slot in that case.

If Shorts is out for an extended period in regular season (and that chance certainly exists given Shorts injury history). And it would not surprise me if the Jags decided not to re-sign Shorts and open the door for Robinson next year.

To me Lee is going to be the dynamic big-play receiver. Jags have already said they are goign to put Lee in motion a lot to spring him off the line with a clean release. Robinson will be the tough catch on 3rd and 8 to move the chains guy. Possession receiver has such a negative connotation that I don't want to use it for ARobinson since he can do some YAC damage himself but you get the point.
Well, I like Robinson as well so I'm not intending to slight him. This is the Lee thread however so I'd prefer to stick to his opportunity for the purposes of the thread.

I like Lee as a sleeper in redraft - he has a shot to be the guy in Jacksonville's passing game. I'd take him ahead of other young guys like Stills & Beckham.

In dynasty he seems to be going about where he should, in the late 1st / early 2nd.

I like Lee as a sleeper in redraft - he has a shot to be the guy in Jacksonville's passing game. I'd take him ahead of other young guys like Stills & Beckham.

In dynasty he seems to be going about where he should, in the late 1st / early 2nd.
I also think Lee is a nice late pickup in Best Ball. I think his scoring is going to live and die with big plays.

Jacksonville Jaguars used scouting and stats in harmony during 2014 NFL draft

Doug Farrar

Excerpt:

Marqise Lee, WR, USC — Second round, 39th overall pick

Then, it was tine to circle back and take the player who seemed to personify Jacksonville’s need to wed these seemingly disparate (to some, at least) concepts of scouting and stats.

Again, many of Jacksonville’s own metrics are proprietary and therefore confidential, but by more public measures, Lee’s 2012 season was particularly amazing. His 118 catches led the nation, his 1,721 receiving yards ranked second, his 14 touchdown catches tied for third most and he finished third in the nation with 2,683 all-purpose yards. He averaged 16.7 yards every time he touched the ball, and the average length of his 2012 touchdowns was 40.8 yards.

He had 16 plays of 40-plus yards, 11 of 50-plus yards and seven of 70-plus yards, and more than half of his 2012 receptions (63 of 118, 53.4 percent) were for first downs. He accounted for 38.2 percent of USC’s all-purpose yardage in 2012, more than any Heisman-winning wide receiver has ever enjoyed. Khan added that Lee averaged more than a first down per target through his career (10.27 yards) and that he averaged 13.28 yards per catch on third and fourth down.

So, you can see why the Jags were willing to look past a slightly disappointing 2013 season in ways other NFL teams were not.

“One of the most interesting things about Marqise in 2013 is that he had suffered a [knee] injury that doesn’t show as recurring as a major red flag on any player in the future,” Khan said. “It limited his production, and he wasn’t able to play a full slate of games, and I think when you piece it together, his 2013 season wasn’t reflective of the great player. And when he finally had a long break to recover from his injury, he went out in the final game of the season in the [Las Vegas Bowl] game against Fresno State and put up the kinds of numbers [seven catches for 118 yards and two touchdowns] you’d expect to see from him in 2012.

“For Dave, his evaluation as the general manager — based on his scouting expertise, this was an elite receiver, and from a statistical standpoint, I would concur. His drop rate increased in 2013, but his career drop rate is very low, and I don’t think the player you saw in that slate of games in 2013 is indicative of the player we drafted.”
Post of the thread, imo.

Thanks for being a one man information aggregator, Faust, you (and posts like this) are an indispensable resource to the Shark Pool.

Agree to an extent, but some of the flaws are legitimate. He's small and he drops passes. Those problems likely aren't going away.
Serious question - What was his drop rate in 2011-2012 compared to his injury plagued 2013 season?

Anecdotally watching every game he played he dropped way less in previous years than in 2013.

What I am about to say may be worse than drops, but I truly believe him and others checked out last season with Kiffin and the QB play was so bad that throws were so inaccurate that when they were there it was really as if he was not mentally ready to catch them.

Even when healthy Lee looked disinterested given the void of leadership at USC last year and when he got hurt I think that compounded the issue. The QBs hung him out to dry so many times to get crushed I think he finally said f it this isn't worth it.

Lee made Barkley look as good as he did, it wasn't Barkley's talent. Lee really is the most talented WR I have seen at USC in the last 25 years, maybe with Curtis Conway being the other to come close. With that said I still think Woods may be a better long term NFL receiver in terms of being a possession 70/800 kind of guy. But Lee has the moves to get free and deep quick.

No idea if that turns into NFL talent but given where you can get him in redrafts, he is totally worth a teen flyer given his talent and opportunity. If I can draft him as a WR5 or WR6 he represents complete upside and may have some decent bye week fillers.

This is the type of situation where I will really be looking at preseason tape to see his synergy with the JAX QBs.

Agree to an extent, but some of the flaws are legitimate. He's small and he drops passes. Those problems likely aren't going away.
Serious question - What was his drop rate in 2011-2012 compared to his injury plagued 2013 season?
Post 131

2011 62 yargets 47 receptions 75.8% catch rate
2012 168 targets 118 receptions 70.2% catch rate

Lee's 2012 season ranks 6th overall in targets for all college players from 2005-2012 his drops did not seem to impede his team from targeting him frequently at all.

Rotoworld:

Marqise Lee - WR - Jaguars

John Oehser of the Jaguars' official website reports there have been times second-round WR Marqise Lee has shown that he has "it."

Lee has flashed big-time, No. 1 receiver qualities at times during camp and is getting a ton of reps with the starters while Cecil Shorts and second-round rookie Allen Robinson nurse hamstring injuries. Lee's been lining up all over the field, playing both outside and in the slot. With Shorts' injury concerns and Robinson's development slowed, Lee has a shot to lead the Jags in receiving.

Source: jaguars.com

Aug 8 - 11:33 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't make my mind up on him. I want to like him, and am in a good place to get him at 2.04. When I watch his tape, even the 2012 year, I don't come away all that impressed. At 6'0 195, what is his ceiling in Jacksonville if Bortles works out? Santonio? Steve Smith?

I can't make my mind up on him. I want to like him, and am in a good place to get him at 2.04. When I watch his tape, even the 2012 year, I don't come away all that impressed. At 6'0 195, what is his ceiling in Jacksonville if Bortles works out? Santonio? Steve Smith?
I have him as the 11th WR in this year's class. Maybe that end up a mistake like I had with Kendall Wright but I can't get excited about him.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Cecil Shorts.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Interesting. Who's in your top 10 WR list? I have Lee comfortably in my top 7.
No particular order: Watkins, Evans, Cooks, Robinson, Adams, Moncrief, Benjamin, Beckham, Matthews and Latimer.

The only one that might cause me to waffle is Moncrief but I think he's in a great situation and has much higher potential.

Raiderfan32904 said:
No particular order: Watkins, Evans, Cooks, Robinson, Adams, Moncrief, Benjamin, Beckham, Matthews and Latimer.The only one that might cause me to waffle is Moncrief but I think he's in a great situation and has much higher potential.
Interesting. I think he will be better than all except Watkins, Cooks, Matthews......too close to call on Adams and Latimer. Evans will be a bust, as will Benjamin and Beckham.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
At 6'0 195, what is his ceiling in Jacksonville if Bortles works out?
Calvin Johnson
haha what you smoking... Best case he would never come close to Calvin Domination. Best case he will be 80-1200-10 guy and thats in his 2nd to third year if he develops best case. Top 20 wr in the future not ALL time Greatest like Calvin come on bro. I figured u were joking.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
At 6'0 195, what is his ceiling in Jacksonville if Bortles works out?
Calvin Johnson
haha what you smoking... Best case he would never come close to Calvin Domination. Best case he will be 80-1200-10 guy and thats in his 2nd to third year if he develops best case. Top 20 wr in the future not ALL time Greatest like Calvin come on bro. I figured u were joking.
You never know around here, though, do you?

Honestly, I'd give him a little more catch and yardage upside than you do. Since we're talking upside, I'd say he could approach 95 catches with almost 1300 yards. I'm less optimistic on the touchdowns, because I don't see where those will come from with him. He won't blow the top off NFL defenses for long TDs, nor will he catch too many fades or jump balls. If Bortles ends up the next Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, the qb will be throwing touchdowns to lots of receivers, from which Lee would certainly benefit. But I'm not counting on that outcome.

Raiderfan32904 said:
No particular order: Watkins, Evans, Cooks, Robinson, Adams, Moncrief, Benjamin, Beckham, Matthews and Latimer.The only one that might cause me to waffle is Moncrief but I think he's in a great situation and has much higher potential.
Interesting. I think he will be better than all except Watkins, Cooks, Matthews......too close to call on Adams and Latimer. Evans will be a bust, as will Benjamin and Beckham.
Ummm, no.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Ummm, no.
Exceptional analysis. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Lee with four receptions and a 7 yard TD from Henne in about one quarter of work.
With Shorts and Robinson out of the game. Also, just my opinion, but I didn't like how he looked. Always trying to jitterbug instead of just running his route and continue running after the catch. He's fooled nobody with his jukes and he's losing 3-5 yards every catch by doing it. His targets are something to be happy about but again...the only 2 other decent receiving options on the team aren't playing.

Lee with four receptions and a 7 yard TD from Henne in about one quarter of work.
With Shorts and Robinson out of the game. Also, just my opinion, but I didn't like how he looked. Always trying to jitterbug instead of just running his route and continue running after the catch. He's fooled nobody with his jukes and he's losing 3-5 yards every catch by doing it. His targets are something to be happy about but again...the only 2 other decent receiving options on the team aren't playing.
I think the injury is really going to hurt Robinson short term. He has not been able to get out there and practice with the team. During the season, he will be playing catch up after missing out on valuable preseason, training camp reps. Timing, rhythym, all these things take time to develop. People counting on Robinson to break out this year will be disappointed IMO. Meanwhile, Lee is hogging all of the first team reps. He will learn quickly that he doesn't need to stutter step every reception. But like you, I do like the fact that they are throwing his way early and often. He didn't get A LOT of separation on that touchdown reception but he still scored. He is currently my WR6 and I couldn't be happier with him so far.

Ballsy. Haven't heard much of anything on Evans. Is this guy even alive? Beckham is already looking like Percy Harvin with his injuries but Benjamin has changed my opinion. Rumor has it he has been lights out in camp and has developed some real chemistry with Newton. I've bumped him up a bit after being really low on him.

Lee was already expected to start opposite Shorts if everybody is healthy (I like Robinson, though his best shot to start in the near future may be if JAX doesn't extend Shorts past 2014), more than one WR could be productive in the offense. Four receptions and a TD in the first quarter isn't a sustainable pace for any WR, and like nearly all rookies, he no doubt has room for improvement in many areas.

Rotoworld:

Marqise Lee - WR - Jaguars

Marqise Lee started the Jaguars' second preseason game, catching 4-of-4 targets for 27 yards and a touchdown against the Bears.

Playing the "movement" receiver role in Jacksonville's offense, Lee ran high-percentage routes as expected and caught everything thrown his way after a sluggish, and ultimately catch-less preseason opener. The light appears to be flipping on for Lee, who is a sleeper to lead all rookies in receiving this season. He should push Cecil Shorts for the Jags' team lead in targets.

Aug 14 - 9:21 PM

Some preseason stats:

-Lee has played 71.0% of his snaps in the slot.

-He's averaging 5.9 YAC, but only catching the ball 5.9 yards beyond LOS; 11.8 YPR total.

It's shaping up to look like he'll be used like Kendall Wright, who I compared Lee to.

He's bigger, faster, and stronger than Wright though.

With Shorts already nursing a hammy (again), he's shaping up for double digit targets week one...

Some preseason stats:

-Lee has played 71.0% of his snaps in the slot.

-He's averaging 5.9 YAC, but only catching the ball 5.9 yards beyond LOS; 11.8 YPR total.

It's shaping up to look like he'll be used like Kendall Wright, who I compared Lee to.
Lee hasn't had a great pre-season by any means, but 4 pre-season games does not a career make.

In any event, it looks like Lee has a great opportunity to get butt loads of targets.

With Blackmon and Ace Sanders out suspended and Allen Robinson nursing a hammy along with Cecil Shorts coming back from injury the Jacksonville WR production seems up for grabs this year but right now it seems directed towards Lee.

Hurns has stepped-up but Lee is listed ahead of him on the depth chart for what that's worth.

I don't know what to expect but facing the Eagles in the first game... Seems reasonable the Jags will fall behind and will have to pass.

Somebody is going to be on the receiving end of some passes.

Lee was a high pick but and he should get lots of opportunities to learn on the job but it seems like next year he should be real interesting especially if we see him developing chemistry with Bortles this year.

With Shorts already nursing a hammy (again), he's shaping up for double digit targets week one...
He's only 1.5" taller, 1 lb heavier. He ran a 4.52 at the Combine. Wright ran a 4.62 at the Combine, but high 4.4's at his Pro day. Both guys aren't really deep threats and are or will be doing their damage in the short and intermediate game.

Awful quiet in this kid lately. He has looked better in the preseason and is locked and loaded as a starting wr.

What's more juicy about his immediate prospects, Cecil shorts is now OUT tomorrow. They are playing Philly. You think there might be some garbage time stats playing catch up all game? I do.

He's a free agent on my wire and I can pick him up rt now. Just trying to decide BW dropping jake locker or Brian quick for him.

But I think he deserves to be added today. EVEN if you just stash him on your bench. If he blows up tomorrow vs philly he will be a hot waiver wire add and who knows he could be this years Keenan Allen. Especially when bortles takes over.

He's only 1.5" taller, 1 lb heavier. He ran a 4.52 at the Combine. Wright ran a 4.62 at the Combine, but high 4.4's at his Pro day. Both guys aren't really deep threats and are or will be doing their damage in the short and intermediate game.
Hmm. I have to disagree. Lee showed the ability to do everything in college, while Wright was doing similar things to what he does now.

Lee has been lauded as a potential #1 WR by many experts. I've never seen one say that about Wright.

Ok, I dropped locker for lee. Locker wouldn't have started for me until week 10 with Brady as my qb.

Just telling you guys this inforo give context in which I think it's acceptable to drop a 2nd qb in start 1 qb leagues to take a shot on an upside player BEFORE the breakout occurs.

If lee shines tomorrow the opportunity to grab him will be lost.

Don't forget that were it not for some injuries that derailed him there were many scouts and analysts that had lee pegged as a more impressive talent than even Watkins.

People are definitely sleeping on this kid, regardless of whether he actually breaks out or not. Watkins is 100% owned on a crappy team. Lee is 13% owned on a crappy team. But I actually think the jags passing game might be better and has a brighter immediate future than the bills.

Post 131

Lee's 2012 season ranks 6th overall in targets for all college players from 2005-2012 his drops did not seem to impede his team from targeting him frequently at all.
Just following up on this thanks to BIll Connelly's charting of target data in 2013.

Lee had 91 targets 57 receptions in 11 games played. This is a 62.6% catch rate which is still decent although about 10% worse than the combined catch rate of his previous two seasons.

Career catch rate for Lee is 69.2%. on 321 targets 222 receptions. That is pretty good considering the volume of targets.

In the preseason Lee was targeted 10 times and he had 9 receptions and 2 TD.

Loved Lee at USC. The stars are aligned for him to be the Keenan Allen of 2013: previously highly touted WR who slipped in draft that takes awhile to get going in the NFL but then performs at low-end WR1 levels the second half of the season. In Lee's case, I could see a scenario where he starts to shine mid-season if/when Bortles takes the reigns.

rickyg said:
Awful quiet in this kid lately. He has looked better in the preseason and is locked and loaded as a starting wr.

What's more juicy about his immediate prospects, Cecil shorts is now OUT tomorrow. They are playing Philly. You think there might be some garbage time stats playing catch up all game? I do.

He's a free agent on my wire and I can pick him up rt now. Just trying to decide BW dropping jake locker or Brian quick for him.

But I think he deserves to be added today. EVEN if you just stash him on your bench. If he blows up tomorrow vs philly he will be a hot waiver wire add and who knows he could be this years Keenan Allen. Especially when bortles takes over.
:blackdot:

Biabreakable said:
Post 131

Just following up on this thanks to BIll Connelly's charting of target data in 2013.

Lee had 91 targets 57 receptions in 11 games played. This is a 62.6% catch rate which is still decent although about 10% worse than the combined catch rate of his previous two seasons.

Career catch rate for Lee is 69.2%. on 321 targets 222 receptions. That is pretty good considering the volume of targets.

Catch rate has nothing to do with drops.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:

Hmm. I have to disagree. Lee showed the ability to do everything in college, while Wright was doing similar things to what he does now.Lee has been lauded as a potential #1 WR by many experts. I've never seen one say that about Wright.
Define "everything". If Lee is expected to do everything, then why is he being used as and being talked about being used as a slot/space type of WR?

ROYALWITCHEESE said:

Hmm. I have to disagree. Lee showed the ability to do everything in college, while Wright was doing similar things to what he does now.Lee has been lauded as a potential #1 WR by many experts. I've never seen one say that about Wright.
Define "everything". If Lee is expected to do everything, then why is he being used as and being talked about being used as a slot/space type of WR?
He's being used as a starting receiver on the outside in 2 WR formations, and as the slot WR when they go to 3 WRs. That is very different than what you wrote.

Lee's catching technique can be pretty bad, but his hands aren't exactly made of stone.

I'm of the opinion that he's much more the 2012 player we saw than what we saw of him in 2013. He should put up good numbers this year for JAX, given the amount of targets he's likely to see.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:

He's being used as a starting receiver on the outside in 2 WR formations, and as the slot WR when they go to 3 WRs. That is very different than what you wrote.
He's played 71% in the slot and is catching the ball 5.6 yards beyond the LOS. That is exactly what I described.

Biabreakable said:
Post 131

Catch rate has nothing to do with drops.
Never said it did.

If a player is catching the ball with the level of frequency that Lee has been. Then it does not really matter how many of those targets which were not caught were "drops" as long as the catch is made frequently enough that the player does not get benched for dropping too many passes.

Bill Connelly does not even track drops because the games keepers are too inconsistent with reporting the stat that matters little compared to catch rate.

Users who are viewing this thread