What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fargo TV series on FX - season 3 starts TONIGHT 4/19!!! (2 Viewers)

Watched the first 20 minutes of Raising Arizona last night, mostly to look for correlations between it and the Fargo TV series. (I saw many references to Coen Bros films as I watched the series, but forgot about Raising Arizona as a CB film.)

- Nathan the Furniture King = Minnesota's Supermarket King? They both aired cheesy local TV commercials hyping their businesses, both character arcs hinged on their love for their son.

- Edwina the Cop desperately wanted a baby. I kept waiting for her to smell the baby they kidnapped, like Molly the Cop did when she visited the Chief's widow in Fargo...but she didn't do that in the first 20 minutes at least. No strong correlation other than that, IMHO.

Was hoping for more, and should have watched the whole movie to complete the process.

JaxBill said:
:confused: Was that in the story and I missed it? Probably not all that common but it happened to a "kid" here. Nasty way to go.
Happened in the movie.

Which confuses me... Both the movie and the show were based on a true story, but during different decades. The stories seem too similar to be separate happenings.
Yeah, not really.

Watched the first 20 minutes of Raising Arizona last night, mostly to look for correlations between it and the Fargo TV series. (I saw many references to Coen Bros films as I watched the series, but forgot about Raising Arizona as a CB film.)

- Nathan the Furniture King = Minnesota's Supermarket King? They both aired cheesy local TV commercials hyping their businesses, both character arcs hinged on their love for their son.

- Edwina the Cop desperately wanted a baby. I kept waiting for her to smell the baby they kidnapped, like Molly the Cop did when she visited the Chief's widow in Fargo...but she didn't do that in the first 20 minutes at least. No strong correlation other than that, IMHO.

Was hoping for more, and should have watched the whole movie to complete the process.
You should watch it because it's an awesome movie, not to sleuth out correlations between two unrelated movies 27 years apart. I think there might be a movie called Fargo or something. Maybe check out that lead?

JaxBill said:
:confused: Was that in the story and I missed it? Probably not all that common but it happened to a "kid" here. Nasty way to go.
Happened in the movie.

Which confuses me... Both the movie and the show were based on a true story, but during different decades. The stories seem too similar to be separate happenings.
Yeah, not really.
Yeah, apparently that's their little "joke".

Never saw the movie so didn't know the wood chipper was in there. :thumbup:

Anyone in this thread who hasn't seen Fargo THE MOVIE needs to watch it by this weekend.

It's mandatory homework.

I expect a full report on my desk by Monday.

;)

Anyone in this thread who hasn't seen Fargo THE MOVIE needs to watch it by this weekend.

It's mandatory homework.

I expect a full report on my desk by Monday.

;)
guilty. it's on my todo list but won't be this weekend for sure.

You should watch it because it's an awesome movie, not to sleuth out correlations between two unrelated movies 27 years apart. I think there might be a movie called Fargo or something. Maybe check out that lead?
I've seen Raising Arizona more than once, but not in the last five years. I've seen every Coen Brothers film at least once, most of them multiple times. I've been rewatching Fargo the series to cross-reference it against everything in the Coen catalog because I think that's what they did, along with Noah Hawley, when they put their efforts into the show.

Think comparing anything the Coen Bros. did to this series is pretty fruitless. They didn't write nor direct. What did they really do? Just give the rights and recommend some people?

I ended up enjoying this series/season. But comparing it to True Detective? Come on.

Fargo was a ridiculous network cop show, like The Following, spruced up with some great actors and cinematography. That said the actors and cinematography were terrific and made for an entertaining show. But story-wise and how the characters proceed it's just as silly.

I agree that True Detective > Fargo, but to compare it (in any way) to The Following is crazy IMO.
You can't go 10 minutes in either Fargo or The Following without saying, "ok, no one would do that."

That doesn't happen with a great show. In a great show you don't need Billy Bob, on the lamb, rolling around in a red BMW for Colin Hanks to recognize him. You write something plausible.

Odenkirk's character? No great show has a clown character like that. I was hoping he was a bad guy and their was a reason for his bizarre behavior. Nope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that True Detective > Fargo, but to compare it (in any way) to The Following is crazy IMO.
You can't go 10 minutes in either Fargo or The Following without saying, "ok, no one would do that."

That doesn't happen with a great show. In a great show you don't need Billy Bob, on the lamb, rolling around in a red BMW for Colin Hanks to recognize him. You write something plausible.

Odenkirk's character? No great show has a clown character like that. I was hoping he was a bad guy and their was a reason for his bizarre behavior. Nope.
Yeah, Breaking Bad was crap too.

:rolleyes:

He's not saying Odenkirk is/was a clown but the character (the police chief) in the show was a clown. You just don't make chief of police being that big of an idiot.

Fargo =dark humor......

1. Tongue-in-cheek is a figure of speech used to imply that a statement or other production is humorously or otherwise not seriously intended, and it should not be taken at face value. The facial expression typically indicates that one is joking or making a mental effort.

Fargo =dark humor......

1. Tongue-in-cheek is a figure of speech used to imply that a statement or other production is humorously or otherwise not seriously intended, and it should not be taken at face value. The facial expression typically indicates that one is joking or making a mental effort.
:goodposting:

Fargo was a "Tongue in cheek, dark humor, crime" show.. If True Detective was meant to be a "True" detective show.., then the only way to compare it to Fargo should be made based on the entertainment factor.

In regards to the Chief character... He only became chief due to seniority.. Not because he was "the best one for the job".. Truth is he let his personal relationship with Lester overrule the truth.. that and a woman of all people was trying to prove him wrong.

The chief, before he died, told her that he would be recommending her as replacement as the other guy just didn't have "it".. Unfortunately he died before he could make the recommendation and thus Seniority overruled common sense.

Besides, IMO, the show would have lost some of the entertainment factor if not for the Bumbling, blind to the truth, chief.

I've seen Raising Arizona more than once, but not in the last five years. I've seen every Coen Brothers film at least once, most of them multiple times. I've been rewatching Fargo the series to cross-reference it against everything in the Coen catalog because I think that's what they did, along with Noah Hawley, when they put their efforts into the show.
Sounds fascinating.

He's not saying Odenkirk is/was a clown but the character (the police chief) in the show was a clown. You just don't make chief of police being that big of an idiot.
Saul 2.0

Saul 2.0
Actually Saul was pretty clever

:grad:

Saul 2.0
Actually Saul was pretty clever

:grad:
Agreed,

Though both were pretty exaggerated characters.

It's an entirely new cast/story. Why are they even calling it Fargo?
Because there's a good chance that much of the story will take place in Minnesota, which, geographically speaking, is basically indistinguishable from Fargo.
How dare you.
'Tis true. Went through Fargo on the way to the Twin Cities a couple times the past year and you can't tell west-central Minnesota apart from the Fargo area. Lots of boring nothingness.

Minny is pretty in parts, just not the western part. :shrug:

Because there's a good chance that much of the story will take place in Minnesota, which, geographically speaking, is basically indistinguishable from Fargo.
How dare you.
'Tis true. Went through Fargo on the way to the Twin Cities a couple times the past year and you can't tell west-central Minnesota apart from the Fargo area. Lots of boring nothingness.

^ This. SE Minnesota down around Winona is incredible with all those river bluffs...and NE Minnesota "up on the range" is beautiful in an entirely different way. But yes, Western Minnesota...from Canada down to Iowa, is one big corn/soybean field. :) But that's no different than heading a few hundred miles West/South...as once you get out in that area, you wouldn't know if you're in Minnesota, Nebraska, or most of Iowa.

How dare you.

^ This. SE Minnesota down around Winona is incredible with all those river bluffs...and NE Minnesota "up on the range" is beautiful in an entirely different way. But yes, Western Minnesota...from Canada down to Iowa, is one big corn/soybean field. :) But that's no different than heading a few hundred miles West/South...as once you get out in that area, you wouldn't know if you're in Minnesota, Nebraska, or most of Iowa.
Ok I'm a city boy and really I'm ok with being compared to North Dakota or Nebraska, but let's leave Iowa out of this, ok?

How dare you.
'Tis true. Went through Fargo on the way to the Twin Cities a couple times the past year and you can't tell west-central Minnesota apart from the Fargo area. Lots of boring nothingness.Minny is pretty in parts, just not the western part. :shrug:
Ok I'm a city boy and really I'm ok with being compared to North Dakota or Nebraska, but let's leave Iowa out of this, ok?
Easy there, Radar.

In the first season they alluded to the movie (the money in the snow) and the city (where the goons were based)

Could be they'll do something similar in the second city

ETA and they were using the pace and cinematography from the movie as well, as well as a similarly wacky murder storyline

Last edited by a moderator:
Think comparing anything the Coen Bros. did to this series is pretty fruitless. They didn't write nor direct. What did they really do? Just give the rights and recommend some people?

I ended up enjoying this series/season. But comparing it to True Detective? Come on.

Fargo was a ridiculous network cop show, like The Following, spruced up with some great actors and cinematography. That said the actors and cinematography were terrific and made for an entertaining show. But story-wise and how the characters proceed it's just as silly.
I totally disagree that a show has to completely mirror reality in order to be great.

I've heard similar criticisms of Tarantino's work. If I want reality I'll turn on the six oclock news.

Users who are viewing this thread