What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fargo TV series on FX - season 3 starts TONIGHT 4/19!!! (3 Viewers)

Nice little ep.... ya...the body count is pretty high every scene/interaction was very good. This show has upside to be amazing....

looks like FX has some good dramas in pipeline too...

I thought the scene between Billy Bob and the cop who pulled him over(Colin Hanks ) was riveting...i may try that if i ever get pulled over ...not

I was surprised how similar it seemed to the movie. Haven't seen the original in a while but things from the film kept coming back to me that seemed very much like the show.

I was surprised how similar it seemed to the movie. Haven't seen the original in a while but things from the film kept coming back to me that seemed very much like the show.
Fargo has received general acclaim from television critics, and currently has a Metacritic score of 87 out of 100 based on 38 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes currently reports 100% "certified fresh" approval rating with an average rating of 8.5/10 based on 33 reviews. The website consensus reads "Based on the film of the same name in atmosphere, style, and location only, Fargo presents more quirky characters and a new storyline that is expertly executed with dark humor and odd twists. IGN reviewer Roth Cornet gave the series premiere a 9 out of 10 "Amazing" rating, saying that "with rich and zany characters, darkly comedic violence, and a tantalizing mystery on tap, Fargo is well-worth watching.

Fargo has received general acclaim from television critics, and currently has a Metacritic score of 87 out of 100 based on 38 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes currently reports 100% "certified fresh" approval rating with an average rating of 8.5/10 based on 33 reviews. The website consensus reads "Based on the film of the same name in atmosphere, style, and location only, Fargo presents more quirky characters and a new storyline that is expertly executed with dark humor and odd twists. IGN reviewer Roth Cornet gave the series premiere a 9 out of 10 "Amazing" rating, saying that "with rich and zany characters, darkly comedic violence, and a tantalizing mystery on tap, Fargo is well-worth watching.
Yep, I understand the premise. Just surprised how much of the feel of it they captured for a tv show not actually made by the Coen's.

Yep, I understand the premise. Just surprised how much of the feel of it they captured for a tv show not actually made by the Coen's.
i believe the Coens are executive producers for the show

I thought the scene between Billy Bob and the cop who pulled him over(Colin Hanks ) was riveting...i may try that if i ever get pulled over ...not
I thought that scene was not good. The show was a string of improbable events, but that one stuck out as far more improbable than the others. Seemed like an attempt at a Chuck Norris type joke. But it's all subjective and I can understand why someone else would like it.

fatness said:
BustedKnuckles said:
I thought that scene was not good. The show was a string of improbable events, but that one stuck out as far more improbable than the others. Seemed like an attempt at a Chuck Norris type joke. But it's all subjective and I can understand why someone else would like it.
Certainly, it's a pretty far-fetched scene, but I thought it was executed well enough to just go with it.

fatness said:
BustedKnuckles said:
Certainly, it's a pretty far-fetched scene, but I thought it was executed well enough to just go with it.
i see it as a way to show that Billy Bob`s character is afraid of nothing and will kill anyone he feels like killing..

fatness said:
BustedKnuckles said:
i see it as a way to show that Billy Bob`s character is afraid of nothing and will kill anyone he feels like killing..
I agree that that was the intention of the scene. But that act doesn't fit well with the guy-who-jokes-about-goldfish-and bacteria-as pets act. And the idea that the cop would just walk away wasn't really believable either. Had the cop been a curious passerby the scene would have worked far better.

Good show though. That was about my only quibble with it.

The police chief told the female cop she'd be the next chief, even though someone else was higher up on the seniority scale. Then the police chief got killed. So does she get to be chief? My guess is no.

fatness said:
BustedKnuckles said:
Wasn't the cop talking to his daughter right before pulling Billy Bob over. I think that was what made it a little bit more believable to me because Billy Bob said something to him about going home alive to his daughter. That freaked the cop out.

My wife asks about the show. I say it's supposed to be similar to the movie. She asks what was the movie about :mellow:

My wife asks about the show. I say it's supposed to be similar to the movie. She asks what was the movie about :mellow:
I don't remember anything about the movie besides that I didn't like it.

GB fried brain cells. So many movies I can watch again for the first time.

One big difference between this and the movie is that in the movie Jerry creates his own problems with GM and then hatches the kidnapping plot himself. In this show Lester has a big, bad bully and Billy Bob drops into his life from nowhere, introduces the idea of killing Hess and then carries it out without Lester's approval.

Not saying it's good or bad, but it leaves Lester as a much more sympathetic character. Of course he then goes from zero to a million and hammers his wife, but she's such an unrelenting, over-the-top shrew that I still don't think it's turned the audience on Lester.

love the feeling of impending doom and the ''aww jeez...what did i do'' feeling this show creates . One disastrous event after another. The whole murdering the wife ,to billy bob killing that cop ......masterful tv .

i would give the show 10/10, but that scene excessive for suspension of disbelief. Normally, I'd knock it down to 9/10, but the scene was so well done, I'm putting the pilot at 9.5/10

One big difference between this and the movie is that in the movie Jerry creates his own problems with GM and then hatches the kidnapping plot himself. In this show Lester has a big, bad bully and Billy Bob drops into his life from nowhere, introduces the idea of killing Hess and then carries it out without Lester's approval.

Not saying it's good or bad, but it leaves Lester as a much more sympathetic character. Of course he then goes from zero to a million and hammers his wife, but she's such an unrelenting, over-the-top shrew that I still don't think it's turned the audience on Lester.
Lester seems like he may be in full Ultimate Warrior mode by episode 3 or 4.

i would give the show 10/10, but that scene excessive for suspension of disbelief. Normally, I'd knock it down to 9/10, but the scene was so well done, I'm putting the pilot at 9.5/10
I can agree with that. Overall a very good show.

I hope we get more of Bob Odenkirk. ah geez...

Billy Bob seems to be the guy that just likes to stir up #### and cause chaos. like telling the hotel kid not to take any crap from the lady, and then calling her to rat him out when he was peeing in the gas tank. or calling the one dumb brother to turn him on his other dumb brother. but you can tell he's a bad###...his "there are still dragons here" line was chilling.

looks like FX wins again.

love the feeling of impending doom and the ''aww jeez...what did i do'' feeling this show creates . One disastrous event after another. The whole murdering the wife ,to billy bob killing that cop ......masterful tv .
A lot of Coen brother movies are like that. Their first one, Blood Simple, had a complete feeling of impending doom from beginning to end. Each scene began, and things got worse. Tne next scene began, and things got worse. The audience knew exactly what happened all the time, but not one character in the movie did. Masterful movie in my opinion.

Why do they call it Fargo when it takes place in Minnesota? Same for the movie.
Part of the movie took place in Fargo, right?
Not that I remember it didn't.
Wikipedia says Fargo is where he hired the kidnappers.
Yes. And in the tv show there's a tie-in to Fargo because of the trucking (gun running?) business. In the preview it looked like the bosses(?) in Fargo sent a couple of guys to do their own investigation. Adam Goldberg was one of them.

Yes. And in the tv show there's a tie-in to Fargo because of the trucking (gun running?) business. In the preview it looked like the bosses(?) in Fargo sent a couple of guys to do their own investigation. Adam Goldberg was one of them.
Still, it doesn't make sense to call the movie Fargo when it's primarily about Minnesotans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Still, it doesn't make sense to call the movie Fargo when it's primarily about Minnesotans.
It's also not really a true story. :shrug:

We learned from Breaking Bad that audiences will accept anything from the main character as long as he's transforming from being a spineless weenie with a nagging wife that doesn't respect him.

Then it becomes a fantasy for every repressed man that wishes he'd done something more with his life.

Users who are viewing this thread