What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fargo TV series on FX - season 3 starts TONIGHT 4/19!!! (1 Viewer)

While Season 3 wasn't to the caliber of 1 and 2, I still enjoyed it.  I do wish they tied up more loose ends in the finale.  Still trying to figure out how the LA episode ties in.  Thought we'd get more clarity about "Grandpa" and the alien.  

Maybe a Varga spinoff?  I'd enjoy watching him destroy companies, people's lives and pints of ice cream while extracting wealth.  

Burgle gets Varga. Swango has Emmitt, but is shot by the cop. Emmitt is killed by Swango's partner. Widow gets the parking lots. Females made out pretty well this season.

Okay then.

Watching this now. Emmitt Stussy's car got stuck in the side of the road but then he drove away after the shootout. Pretty sloppy writing. 

Was gonna come in here and say Connie Coon was attractive for and older broad but then googled her and realized she's only 36. Yeesh

Watching this now. Emmitt Stussy's car got stuck in the side of the road but then he drove away after the shootout. Pretty sloppy writing. 
I griped about that too. My wife said "he tried it again and it just started." Well, yeah, bad writing.

The opening scene was some Nazi thing right?  How did that tie in?  
Nah, it was East Germany / Communist.

If I followed it all... the innocent guy in the opening scene was brought in because Yuri Gorka killed a girl and the East Germans didn't want to admit they got this innocent guy instead of Yuri.  Yuri Gorka was the Ukranian Cossack half of the muscle for VM Vargas.  The one who got killed by the magic Jewish guy in the bowling alley, where the Jewish guy mentioned the same name of the murdered girl (edit to add: Helga Albrecht) in the opening scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, it was East Germany / Communist.

If I followed it all... the innocent guy in the opening scene was brought in because Yuri Gorka killed a girl and the East Germans didn't want to admit they got this innocent guy instead of Yuri.  Yuri Gorka was the Ukranian Cossack half of the muscle for VM Vargas.  The one who got killed by the magic Jewish guy in the bowling alley, where the Jewish guy mentioned the same name of the murdered girl in the opening scene.
I missed the connection to yuri gurka 

By the way, first season of Fargo I've watched. Enjoyed it.

Though one unexpected bonus is... I DVR everything and watch later so I can fast forward commercials. I use a 30-second jump ahead button. Most shows it will overshoot the end of the commercials a little bit now and then and I'll have to back up. But the great thing about Fargo, is NOTHING ever happens in the first 30 seconds after a commercial. They aren't through with the artistic post-commercial camera shot in that span of time.

Really didn't like them not explaining the age difference in the L.A. episode...just glaringly bad.

Car starts back up for Stussy...felt like nonsense.

But he couldn't just take her truck or the cop car cause it would tie his car to the scene...so it magically cranks and leaves the scene so we can have the "5 Years Later" wrap-up.  Convenient writing.

Still a fun show but probably good they call it quits here...they're getting a bit too sloppy.

His car didn't fully die. It sounded like a warning chime. Maybe it was about to overheat. But it still kept driving. 

Maybe after a few minutes sitting idle, it kicked back in long enough to reach the next exit. Maybe not quietly, and maybe at the expense of a pricey part... But, possibly. 

Don't need to nitpick everything to death. 
The Sepinwall review mentioned the stamp that was on Emmit's forehead when he woke up from being knocked out. The only person still alive who would've cared about that stamp was Nikki. Very possible she could have sabotaged Emmit's car so that he would have to stop somewhere remote (although I'm not sure how one would do that). I actually thought he ran out of gas and was surprised when it started right back up.

The Sepinwall review mentioned the stamp that was on Emmit's forehead when he woke up from being knocked out. The only person still alive who would've cared about that stamp was Nikki. Very possible she could have sabotaged Emmit's car so that he would have to stop somewhere remote (although I'm not sure how one would do that). I actually thought he ran out of gas and was surprised when it started right back up.
 Yes she definitely sabotaged his car

Nikki was obviously way smarter than people gave her credit for. I mean she even knew sign language! Obviously she hacked the car computer to hiccup on her signal and then she shows up right after he pulls over.

Why not kill him at the house? She wanted him to be at his absolute lowest. Breaking down in the middle of nowhere and begging for mercy is lower than her killing him at his house.

Just give me the ending. Don't make me decide.

Good finale and season though. Worst of the 3 but still enjoyable.

There's still hope!

Noah Hawley: I remain optimistic that there'll be another Fargo idea. I just don't know that it's gonna be in the next day, week, month. It's hard to know.

This season wasn't as strong as the other ones, but I did enjoy the takes on the nature of truth. Varga's speech at the end summed up the series. He believed that people would believe whatever you wanted them to believe. He got Emmit out of jail by basically inventing a serial killer who was obsessed with murdering people named Stussy, a story that Gloria's boss believed because the explanation was easy and clean, even if evidence showed it wasn't true. There were a lot of little details, like when Emmit was meeting Sy and the widow at the restaurant, and he was concerned about showing up late after the death of Ray. Varga told him to just go to the bathroom immediately when he gets to the restaurant, then when he comes out of the bathroom, they'll assume he had been there a while. When the IRS guy showed up at Emmit's company to look at their books, Meemo pretends to be an attorney by simply arranging all his papers and pens in a similar way to the IRS guy and scares him off. Ray pretended to be Emmit in the sex tape, and Emmit's wife believed it.

The other thing they hammered us with is mistaken identity, which is tied to the nature of truth. From the opening scene, the East German official accuses a man of being someone he's not, and calls him a murderer. Ennis Stussy is killed only because his name and city of residence are so close to Emmit Stussy. Ennis wasn't even Ennis -- he apparently took that name from a toilet brand in an effort to become someone other than a sci-fi novelist who got duped by some con man in Hollywood. Nikki dropped an A/C unit on Maurice's head and got away with it because the apartment she was renting was under a fake name. The deputy kept calling Gloria "chief" even though she wasn't the police chief anymore (and she seemed to work out of a police station that was really a library). Ray pretended to be Emmit in the sex tape. A man confesses to killing all the Stussy victims, even though he had nothing to do with it. In the end, Varga is arrested while going under a different name, suggesting that perhaps Varga isn't his real name, either. The ambiguous ending means it's up to the viewer to decide who he sides with: Varga's world view or Gloria's?

Did I miss the part where the bad guy who got his ear chopped off got killed in the bowling alley?
It was implied when he was in the "bowling alley*" that when he saw his ancestors that was him dying or being killed.

*bowling alley was some type of purgatory.

Did I miss the part where the bad guy who got his ear chopped off got killed in the bowling alley?

FiredMartz said:
but I didn't see him physically inside the bowling alley?.....wasn't it just the girl?   who bellied up to bar and talked to "GOD?"

I will have to re watch   i'm stupid
You said yourself he was in he bowling alley

I don't think they were his ancestors, those were the people that his ancestors killed in a past genocide.
Yuri arrives next, earless. He walks in bloody, sits at the same bar. He orders napkins (long pause) and vodka. Paul Marrane appears next to him, too, but with a much more dire message. He shows him the victims of his Cossack ancestors. His victims. The eyes of suffering look upon him. And, quite literally, we never see Yuri again

http://minnesotabrown.com/2017/06/fargo-season-3-ep-8.html

So how did Varga get out of the elevator when Nikki laid the trap?

Did he just get off on 2? Did he leave his coat and scramble out elevator ceiling?

In the 3 seasons of Fargo, have we ever found out the origins of the briefcase in the snow by the side of the road?

This will sound funny but I think Season 3 was a little too weird for me :unsure:

It was pretty good but I just didn't "get it"

Carrie Coons was great, Vargas was great, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and her ### were great. Ewan McGregor didn't do it for me, but I don't really like him in anything so there's that.

I just don't think there was enough of a story this time around.

Just finished The Myth of Sisyphus from Season 2. Man this show is awesome.

One of the greatest lines of all time and it perfectly describes Minnesotans:

Mike Milligan: I like him. I like you. Met another fella from Minnesota yesterday. Big guy. Sheriff, I think. I liked him too. 

Lou Solverson: We're a very friendly people. 

Mike Milligan: No! That's not it. Pretty unfriendly actually. But it's the way you're unfriendly. How you're so polite about it. Like you're doin me a favor.

:moneybag:

Just finished season 2. Mike Milligan's end might be the greatest plot resolution I've ever seen. 

The theme of "stay in your lane" that pervades Fargo Season 2 and the movie is so Minnesota. Bad things happen when you strive for more than your share.

A satire book written in the 1930's actually defines it well and refers to bit as - The Law of Jante or Janteloven.

The "we" in the Rules refer to the collective we of society. It explains why Minnesota is such a liberal state

There are ten rules in the law as defined by Sandemose, all expressive of variations on a single theme and usually referred to as a homogeneous unit: You are not to think you're anyone special or that you're better than us.

The ten rules state:

You're not to think you are anything special.

You're not to think you are as good as we are.

You're not to think you are smarter than we are.

You're not to imagine yourself better than we are.

You're not to think you know more than we do.

You're not to think you are more important than we are.

You're not to think you are good at anything.

You're not to laugh at us.

You're not to think anyone cares about you.

You're not to think you can teach us anything.

These ten principles or commandments are often claimed to form the "Jante's Shield" of the Scandinavian people.

In the book, the Janters who transgress this unwritten 'law' are regarded with suspicion and some hostility, as it goes against the town's communal desire to preserve harmony, social stability and uniformity.

An eleventh rule recognised in the novel as 'the penal code of Jante' is:

Perhaps you don't think we know a few things about you?

Users who are viewing this thread