What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Eric Ebron, PIT (1 Viewer)

The Fantasy Chef

Footballguy
Does it matter where he lands or is this guy the next Gronk or Graham ? I really love some of these rbs and wrs and I'm in a league where the Te is a wr flex but I'm thinking this Ebron is lightening in a bottle? I'm mid first round and really have to get some more feedback on this elite athlete? Thanks for any response guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it matter where he lands or is this guy the next Gronk or Graham ? I really love some of these rbs and wrs and I'm in a league where the Te is a wr flex but I'm thinking this Ebron is lightening in a bottle? I'm mid first round and really have to get some more feedback on this elite athlete? Thanks for any response guys.
Interesting question, since it's difficult to separate Gronk/Graham's success from their elite QB's, even taking into consideration their freakish athletic profiles. They both represent the perfect combination of ability and situation.

I think it matters a lot where they land.

Eifert was considered the second coming of an elite TE like Graham by a majority of pretty smart folks but being a Bengal with another 1st round TE currently on the roster will prevent him from realizing this potential in the short term. Even if people are correct about his talent level.

Put Graham or Gronk with Christian Ponder. How well do you think they would have done?

Situation matters a lot especially for the TE position imho.

Biabreakable said:
I think it matters a lot where they land.

Eifert was considered the second coming of an elite TE like Graham by a majority of pretty smart folks but being a Bengal with another 1st round TE currently on the roster will prevent him from realizing this potential in the short term. Even if people are correct about his talent level.

Put Graham or Gronk with Christian Ponder. How well do you think they would have done?

Situation matters a lot especially for the TE position imho.
This.

Not to mention, that as a rookie, they have to learn two different roles. Catching and blocking. Even if he's the next Gronk, he may take a year or two to get there...

Barring trade, he would likely go anywhere from 7th (extreme earliest) to 20th (later side)...yes a trade can be made, but given that a team does not tradeup to draft him, here is what you are looking at:

7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4–12 .574 8 Minnesota Vikings 5–10–1 .512 9 Buffalo Bills 6–10 .520 10 Detroit Lions 7–9 .457 11 Tennessee Titans 7–9 .504 12 New York Giants 7–9 .520 13 St. Louis Rams 7–9 .551 14 Chicago Bears 8–8 .465 15 Pittsburgh Steelers 8–8 .469 16 Dallas Cowboys[tie] 8–8 .484 17 Baltimore Ravens[tie] 8–8 .484 18 New York Jets 8–8 .488 19 Miami Dolphins 8–8 .523 20 Arizona Cardinals 10–6 .531
From a team/QB quality perspective, I would not want him to go to Tampa, Minny, Buffalo, St. Louis or Tennessee. From an incumbent perspective, not loving Baltimore, Dallas, Chicago, Miami, or Detroit (they could kick Pettigrew to the curb, but they seem to like Fauria. So you are left with the Jets (will it be Vick or Geno tossing it to him...Vick made Crumpler in ATL, but it is a different offense), Arizona (like this as the field will be spread with Fitz and Floyd), Pittsburgh (this could work out nice), or the NY Giants (will use TE if they have one).

So here are the likely candidates to provide value (especially in the short-term):

NY Jets

Arizona

Pittsburgh

NY Giants

From a fantasy perspective, it is looking like Pittsburgh or NYG would provide the best value in a spot he is likely to fall to. NYG at 12 or Pitt at 15 seems about right.

Read somewhere that Pittsburgh loves him. They have enough need of impact receiving weapons that I could easily see him out there with Mille right from the get-go. Roethlisburger could make Ebron a star.

Anyone expecting big numbers from a rookie tight end are going to be disappointed. It usually doesn't happen. It usually takes 2 or 3 years before tight ends start to make their fantasy impact.

Anyone expecting big numbers from a rookie tight end are going to be disappointed. It usually doesn't happen. It usually takes 2 or 3 years before tight ends start to make their fantasy impact.
I don't think anyone with fantasy experience is expecting big numbers in the first year. We are discussing raw talent and the ability to get to that elite production in the n fl that Ebron is flashing.

Buying Ebron next offseason from impatient owners is going to be a Shark Move©.

I don't buy the situation argument for WR/TE as much as most folks and tend to think it's more of coincidence than anything that Graham, Gronk, Witten, and Gates have played with good QBs. Gonzo had "meh" QBs for most of his career and was always near the top of the TE charts. Kellen Winslow had some success in Cleveland with junk at QB before his body broke down. Just last year we saw Cameron put up big numbers there without much help at QB.

I think it's more important to determine if Ebron is that caliber of player than to gauge his situation. If he's that good, he'll be successful anywhere.

Having said all that, I think Atlanta, Seattle, Green Bay, and Pittsburgh would be nice spots for him due to their QB/TE situations. Buffalo, New York Jets, Oakland, Kansas City, and St. Louis would be good despite suspect QB talent because he'd probably be the most talented receiving asset on any of those teams from day one.

Gronk has Brady and Graham has Brees..............just sayin.

In general I think TEs can be successful no matter who the QB is, but to be top level like them they need a top end QB.

In general I think TEs can be successful no matter who the QB is, but to be top level like them they need a top end QB.
...and as a floor, Dustin Keller had Mark Sanchez. I think Ebron will be better than Keller and Keller was able to put up decent numbers for a few years. Again, I think this is a decent "floor" comparison.

Sweet Love said:
ghostguy123 said:

...and as a floor, Dustin Keller had Mark Sanchez. I think Ebron will be better than Keller and Keller was able to put up decent numbers for a few years. Again, I think this is a decent "floor" comparison.
Hell, Kellen Winslow Jr. destroyed his knee, never got it back to 100%, played with some of the worst quarterbacks the NFL has ever seen, and rarely reached the end zone... and he still ranks 8th all-time in PPG among TEs with at least 64 games played. 6th in PPR. Averaged 71/800/4 per 16 games for his entire career.

Gronk and Graham have elite QBs, but historically, that has never been a prerequisite for top-level TE production in fantasy football.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I just don't see it from Ebron. Yes he can catch and run, but he isn't freakishly fast or freakishly large. He dropped a ton of passes at UNC. So while there are some things to like in terms of his production in college, I don't see the hype on this guy being the next great TE and all that. To me, hes an inferior prospect to Eifert and has potentially less upside than ASJ if we can see Jenkins run well leading up to the draft.

Barring trade, he would likely go anywhere from 7th (extreme earliest) to 20th (later side)...yes a trade can be made, but given that a team does not tradeup to draft him, here is what you are looking at:

7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4–12 .574 8 Minnesota Vikings 5–10–1 .512 9 Buffalo Bills 6–10 .520 10 Detroit Lions 7–9 .457 11 Tennessee Titans 7–9 .504 12 New York Giants 7–9 .520 13 St. Louis Rams 7–9 .551 14 Chicago Bears 8–8 .465 15 Pittsburgh Steelers 8–8 .469 16 Dallas Cowboys[tie] 8–8 .484 17 Baltimore Ravens[tie] 8–8 .484 18 New York Jets 8–8 .488 19 Miami Dolphins 8–8 .523 20 Arizona Cardinals 10–6 .531
From a team/QB quality perspective, I would not want him to go to Tampa, Minny, Buffalo, St. Louis or Tennessee. From an incumbent perspective, not loving Baltimore, Dallas, Chicago, Miami, or Detroit (they could kick Pettigrew to the curb, but they seem to like Fauria. So you are left with the Jets (will it be Vick or Geno tossing it to him...Vick made Crumpler in ATL, but it is a different offense), Arizona (like this as the field will be spread with Fitz and Floyd), Pittsburgh (this could work out nice), or the NY Giants (will use TE if they have one).

So here are the likely candidates to provide value (especially in the short-term):

NY Jets

Arizona

Pittsburgh

NY Giants

From a fantasy perspective, it is looking like Pittsburgh or NYG would provide the best value in a spot he is likely to fall to. NYG at 12 or Pitt at 15 seems about right.
Nice breakdown, completely agree on the 12-15 slotting.

Faust said:
Faust posting as much as you do without your own commentary to go along with your links comes off as spam
What Faust does is provide a service. A timely collection of current news and information. This creates a record in history, that if the thread is still active years later can be looked at to follow the news history.

This is what spam is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Rotoworld:

UNC TE Eric Ebron visited the Buffalo Bills this week.
Bills fans have been calling for a tight end for years, and Ebron could fill that hole at No. 9. The Tar Heel played in the slot around 80 percent of the time in 2013, but many believe he can play inline as a complete tight end since he is at least an adequate blocker. No. 9 might be a bit too early, however.

Source: Adrian Wilson on Twitter

Faust posting as much as you do without your own commentary to go along with your links comes off as spam
What Faust does is provide a service. A timely collection of current news and information. This creates a record in history, that if the thread is still active years later can be looked at to follow the news history.

I appreciate Fausts articles 99% of the time. Sometimes he posts stuff that is trash like the "Why are RBs paid like punters" stuff. It seems like he didn't read the article because that was bunk. Anyway, the only suggestion I would have is that he changes his handle to Rotofaust.

I appreciate Fausts articles 99% of the time. Sometimes he posts stuff that is trash like the "Why are RBs paid like punters" stuff. It seems like he didn't read the article because that was bunk. Anyway, the only suggestion I would have is that he changes his handle to Rotofaust.
However that troll got there, you are in good company--trolls have been immensely popular dolls, and there seems to be a troll or two in almost any household you come across. There have literally been thousands of varieties of troll dolls produced, by many manufacturers. In fact, trolls were the second biggest selling doll of the sixties (the troll heyday!)--right after Barbie!

Troll History

Trolls have been a part of folklore forever--as bad and mischievous creatures who lived in caves, in logs, and under bridges. Trolls are believed to be good luck, which certainly has helped the sale of troll dolls--troll dolls can be found in houses, in cars, even at work, purchased with the hope that they will bring luck to their owners.

Trolls in their collectible form were first created by Thomas Dam and his family, in Denmark in the 1950s. The first Dam trolls were carved in wood. Later, they were made of soft rubber, and finally, vinyl. The trolls made by Thomas Dam's company became known as "Dam Things," and these are the most popular trolls with collectors today. Most collectors believe that the Dam Thing trolls have the most character, the best clothing, and the highest quality.

Although Dam Things made the most well-known and most collectible trolls, many companies got on the troll bandwagon and began to produce trolls in the mid 1960s. Most of these trolls are unmarked, so it is often difficult to identify trolls from any of the "clone" troll makers. Many of the clone troll manufacturers were from Hong Kong and Taiwan, and the trolls they made were cheap imitations and of low quality. These low-quality trolls flooded the market in the mid-1960s, which caused trolls to become less popular--troll popularity peaked approximately in 1966. Trolls went downhill from there, and became almost invisible by the 1980s. However, starting in 1989, troll production started in earnest again, when troll nostalgia hit big, causing the second boom-period for trolls in the early 1990s. Trolls became ubiquitous again, and were found in nearly every toy shop and gift shop. Today, trolls are not as common as in the early 1990s, but can still be found. Today's trolls are made by several manufacturers, including Dam Trolls which only sells their current trolls in Denmark.

Types of Trolls

The variety of trolls that have been produced is almost overwhelming--one troll collector, Lisa Moss*, has over 4,000 types of trolls!! There have been ugly, pretty, mean, strong, fat and skinny trolls. Some people think troll dolls are cute, others think them outrageously ugly. There have been Rasta trolls, and pencil topper trolls, and numerous holiday themed trolls (santas, elves, reindeer). There are ballerina trolls, college trolls, and "shapely" female trolls with boobs. Trolls have been made out of vinyl, wood, hemp, rubber, glass, porcelain and ceramics. Even the hair on trolls heads have been varied--mohair, fur, nylon, straw--nearly anything you could think of. The nicest troll hair--often mohair--was found on the early 1960s Dam Things trolls.

Some of the rarest and most sought-after trolls include animal trolls (trolls made to resemble various animals--lions, giraffes, cats, etc.) moon trolls, 2-headed trolls (extremely rare!) and black trolls (also very rare). Large Dam trolls (12" and over) are extremely desirable.

In addition to trolls, collectors seek out licensed troll merchandise--everything from sheets, plates, blankets, jewelry, and banks, to costumes, watches, books and gift wrap.

Collecting Trolls: What to Look For

In addition to the rare trolls mentioned above (animal, moon, 2-headed, and black), look for original 1960s Dam trolls in their original costumes, with their hair and body in good condition. Dam trolls had felt clothing that was often riveted to the body (very different than the clothing on the later Russ trolls, which often is made of synthetic fiber and has Velcro closures). Many older trolls are found naked today because the felt was fragile and often disintegrated.

Prices on trolls range from only a few dollars ($1 to $5) for late, common Russ trolls, to $200+ for rare 1960s Dam Things animal trolls (like giraffes and lions). Smaller, more common animals can be $25 to $50. Non-Dam troll animals can be much cheaper, especially if their tags are not attached. Small 1960s trolls can be found for $15-$30.

Trolls have been delighting children and collectors now for nearly 50 years. So this holiday season, consider filling the stocking of a loved one with a current or vintage troll doll. You may bring back fond memories for a baby boomer, or you may open up the imagination of a young child to the expansive world of the magical trolls.

*much thanks to Lisa Moss, a member of my doll club. This article was prepared based partially on a marvelous presentation on trolls that was made to my club by Lisa. The photos on page two of this article are from Lisa's extensive collection.

http://collectdolls.about.com/library/weekly/aa120100a.htm

• By Bucky Brooks
  • NFL Media analyst
  • Published: April 4, 2014 at 12:40 p.m
  • The most creative offensive minds in the NFL have started using tight ends like a queen on the chessboard. Crafty play designers are cleverly deploying big, athletic pass catchers at various spots on the field to create mismatches in the passing game. Although this is certainly not a new phenomenon at the pro level, the presence of basketball-like athletes at the position has helped the strategy produce fireworks in some systems.
  • With scouts and coaches prone to stealing ideas from successful units, finding a big-bodied, explosive tight end in the 2014 NFL Draft has become a top priority for several teams. That's why North Carolina's Eric Ebron has garnered so much buzz since he emerged as one of college football's top tight ends last year. Measuring 6-foot-4, 250 pounds with 4.60-second speed, Ebron is a wide receiver trapped in a tight end's body. He is quick enough to blow past linebackers and safeties on vertical routes, yet possesses the size and strength to overpower nickel corners in space. Additionally, he is a terrific open-field runner who has the speed and agility to turn short routes and bubble screens into big gains.

The North Carolina coaching staff took advantage of Ebron's diverse skill set by using him primarily as a slot receiver. He played the game extensively from an upright position, rarely aligning as a traditional tight end with his hand in the ground. This deployment allowed Ebron to exploit smaller defenders on the perimeter, especially with fade routes in the red zone.

• But Ebron's game isn't without flaws. At this point, I think he's a better athlete than receiver. He relies extensively on his raw talent to get open instead of sound technique and fundamentals. As a result, he isn't consistently in optimal body position to snag balls coming out of breaks, which leads him to drop some catchable passes. To his credit, Ebron makes enough remarkable one-handed grabs to overlook his lapses of concentration and focus, but playing with better balance and body control would help him become a more dependable pass catcher at the next level.

• As a blocker, Ebron needs to exhibit more effort in his attempts. He has all of the physical tools needed to be a dominant blocker on the edge, but he fails to control or sustain defenders at the point of attack. This doesn't make sense based on his strength (Ebron recorded 24 reps on the bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine) and overall athleticism. Thus, he must make a decision to be a better blocker as a pro or run the risk of being viewed as a situational player in some offenses.
  • Overall, Ebron is an explosive athlete with the potential to develop into a star in the NFL. Right now, he feels like a poor man's Vernon Davis. Ebron isn't quite as freakishly athletic as the San Francisco 49ers tight end, but he has the ability to produce big plays in the passing game as a dynamic weapon on the perimeter. With more teams searching for tight ends possessing that kind of potential, Ebron should hear his name called relatively early on May 8.

• NOTE: The franchises that follow are those that could best utilize Ebron's talents, regardless of draft position or how the rest of the pre-draft process plays out.Tampa Bay Buccaneers (No. 7 overall pick)
    New offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford has a host of weapons to work with on the perimeter, but a deep threat down the middle would open up the field for the quarterback -- whether it's Josh McCown, Mike Glennon or a rookie. Ebron certainly fits the bill, as he excels at blowing past defenders on seam routes and is starting to learn how to use his size and strength to create space on underneath routes. WithMike Williams now a Buffalo Bill, the Bucs might be even more willing to expend a top pick on a playmaker like Ebron. Tampa Bay's offense already has tremendous potential -- with a versatile piece like Ebron, this team could become an NFC heavyweight in 2014.

• Buffalo Bills (No. 9) if Doug Marrone wants franchise quarterback EJ Manuel to succeed, he must surround the youngster with big-play options in the passing game. The Bills have capable perimeter threats in Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods and the newly acquired Williams, but they lack a dynamic player in the middle of the field. Ebron's presence would create mismatches, leading to more outside opportunities for that receiving trio. In the run game, the tight end would force opponents to think twice before committing eight defenders in the box, creating bigger running lanes for C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson. With each of those scenarios alleviating the pressure on Manuel to carry the load, the possibility of adding Ebron could become a reality on draft night.
  • New York Giants (No. 12)
    The Giants have been shuffling tight ends in and out of the lineup since Jeremy Shockey departed in 2008. Although the results have been positive for the most part -- with a cast of retreads manning the position -- it's time for the front office to supply Eli Manning with a legitimate weapon down the middle. Ebron is a big, athletic tight end in the mold of Shockey, but he offers a little more explosiveness as a quasi-receiver in spread formations. Given the Giants' desire to diversify their offensive attack under new coordinator Ben McAdoo, adding Ebron to the unit could help Manning regain his Pro Bowl form in 2014.

• Baltimore Ravens (No. 17) Dennis Pitta's new long-term contract and the addition of Owen Daniels on Thursday would appear to take the Ravens out of the tight end market in May, but coordinator Gary Kubiak is a big fan of running multiple-tight end formations. He masterfully used a variety of "12" personnel packages (one running back, two tight ends and two receivers) in Houston to direct a high-powered offense; he certainly will attempt to exploit the vulnerable areas between the hashes in his new role to help Joe Flacco become a more efficient playmaker from the pocket. With Ebron's athleticism and skills providing Kubiak with the flexibility to use an array of formations from "12" personnel
  • the Ravens would create all kinds of headaches for opposing defensive coordinators attempting to match up with base or nickel packages. More importantly, Ebron's presence on the perimeter would give Flacco the big-bodied playmaker that he lost when Anquan Boldin was traded to the San Francisco 49ers.
  • New York Jets (No. 18)
    After fielding a punchless lineup in 2013, the Jets have worked diligently this offseason to upgrade the weapons in the passing game. The team added Eric Decker as a potential No. 1 receiver and signedJacoby Ford to bring some speed to the group. With Jeremy Kerley showing signs of developing into an upper-echelon slot receiver, the Jets simply need a dynamic tight end to complete the offensive makeover. Ebron averaged more than 16 yards per catch as a Tar Heel, while displaying a knack for running past defenders on vertical routes. His exceptional ball skills in the red zone could help Michael Vick and/or Geno Smith spark a vastly improved Jets offense this season.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2000000339417/article/eric-ebrons-best-nfl-fits-include-buffalo-bills-new-york-giants

Quality of QB matters. Passing offensive philosophy matters. TE skill matters. Of course TEs can be productive with lesser QBs in more balanced offenses. The situation that turns into money is when you can identify the TEs capable of having years of production so high that it puts them amongst the top WRs in fantasy scoring. It's a mathematical advantage to be able to start a TE who outscores his counterparts by so much. You need a QB and offensive framework that can consistently function at such a high TE production level and we've only seen that from a select few QBs. It's not that TEs can't be very productive with mediocre QBs, it's that the cap on TE ceilings is much higher with the elite QBs and that can translate to a substantial edge in fantasy football.

Recent comments have been making the comparison between Ebron and Evan's as possible decisions teams drafting pick 9-15 may have to make. I have heard Evan's being compared to Jimmy Graham quite a bit. Would Evan's be a better shot to be another Graham than Ebron?

Here is an article talking about this comparison for the Giants. As it is possible both players might still be on the board for their pick at 12 (I am hearing Evan's top 10 but not sure which team pulls the trigger). Anyhow the article- http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Make-The-Case-WR-Mike-Evans-vs-TE-Eric-Ebron/d5342233-7457-4cde-8cb4-fbc31bea8d3d

cstu said:
Tackling Dummies said:
Somewhere between NYG & PIT.
While not the absolute best spots, either would be preferable to the Jets (who I don't think would pass on him).
My 2c is that both franchises have a gap/need in this position and it might not too much of a stretch to see his name come off the board no later than PIT's time. Though they are both not a wide open offenses, they both could use a target like Ebron. Miller in PIT is on fumes and NYG losing Nicks and not really having too much at the TE position.

Biabreakable said:
Recent comments have been making the comparison between Ebron and Evan's as possible decisions teams drafting pick 9-15 may have to make. I have heard Evan's being compared to Jimmy Graham quite a bit. Would Evan's be a better shot to be another Graham than Ebron?

Here is an article talking about this comparison for the Giants. As it is possible both players might still be on the board for their pick at 12 (I am hearing Evan's top 10 but not sure which team pulls the trigger). Anyhow the article- http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Make-The-Case-WR-Mike-Evans-vs-TE-Eric-Ebron/d5342233-7457-4cde-8cb4-fbc31bea8d3d
I am surprised Benjamin isn't the guy in that scenario more than Evans.

Ebron is kind of sounding like a guy the NFL doesn't like as much as the draft media, kind of the way Derek Carr seems to be liked MORE by the NFL.

Biabreakable said:

Ebron is kind of sounding like a guy the NFL doesn't like as much as the draft media, kind of the way Derek Carr seems to be liked MORE by the NFL.
I think it is more in the context of talking about Evans/Ebron at potentially top 10 value players. For teams like the Bills and Giants who could use either, the argument is somewhat that Evans would be a better pick than Ebron, has better hands and similar size advantage.

Benjamin sounds like a later draft pick. He does not have as many advantages over Ebron as Evan's does I think.

Even so folks are talking about Ebron as being the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis/KW2. I realize a TE gets a ton of hype every draft class, so I think we become a bit numb to that talk every year. Despite this I do not recall anyone talking about Eifert as the next Vernon Davis/KW2.

Biabreakable said:

I think it is more in the context of talking about Evans/Ebron at potentially top 10 value players. For teams like the Bills and Giants who could use either, the argument is somewhat that Evans would be a better pick than Ebron, has better hands and similar size advantage.

Benjamin sounds like a later draft pick. He does not have as many advantages over Ebron as Evan's does I think.

Even so folks are talking about Ebron as being the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis/KW2. I realize a TE gets a ton of hype every draft class, so I think we become a bit numb to that talk every year. Despite this I do not recall anyone talking about Eifert as the next Vernon Davis/KW2.
Me either. I feel like, from a hype standpoint, Ebron reminds me of Gresham.

As far as Benjamin, late 1st round WR? Ehh.......

2nd round TE project? Sounds a lot better.

The SI 64, Nos. 29-25: Jace Amaro, Eric Ebron, Jason Verrett and more

Chris Burke

Excerpt:

No. 25: Eric Ebron, TE, North CarolinaBio: Fell just shy of the 1,000-yard receiving mark this past season, finishing with 973 on 62 catches. Scored just three touchdowns in 2013, more because of the Tar Heels offense than any negative in his game. The 6-4, 260-pound Ebron ran a 4.60-second 40 at the combine, then backed it with strong showings in other drills (i.e. 120-inch broad jump). Ebron’s bravado may not play well with every front office — he believes he is a top prospect in this draft, and he will not hesitate to tell anyone who asks.

Strengths: Speed really sets him apart as compared to other tight ends in the 2014 class. Can turn upfield after short-to-intermediate routes but is most dangerous darting into the seam. Even talented slot corners and adept safeties will find it tough to turn and run with him; linebackers can be left in his wake. Improving blocker with a decent amount of experience playing in-line. Better suited to get out into the slot and create mismatches. Can be far more of a red-zone threat than he was in college. Confidence bordering on cockiness, a positive when he can reel it in.

Weaknesses: Dropped nearly 12 percent of the passes thrown his way, an unexpectedly high number that means he’ll leave folks frustrated from time to time. By his own admission, must improve as a run blocker, especially if the team that drafts him wants to use him as a No. 1 tight end. Should be better than he is making grabs in traffic, which could help explain to some extent his very low TD total. Will he be OK with playing a complementary role?

Conclusion: The new wave of TE production around the league has left teams searching high and low for players who can produce like Ebron. We’re talking about the top talent at this position, with plenty of room to grow. With average speed, Ebron would be a viable NFL prospect because of his size; with 4.6 speed and the post-catch abilities he put on display at North Carolina, he gives off the appearance of a future Pro Bowler. The drive to find tight ends fitting Ebron’s description may push him into the top 10.

NFL player comparison: Julius Thomas, Broncos (4th round, 2011, Portland State)

Go away.
This.

Faust ever comes to my city, I'm buying him all the booze he can drink in a single sitting. JohnJohn on the other hand... All I've seen so far is complaints about how others post. That's much worse than someone posting useful content like Faust...

How close is Eric Ebron to a sure thing?

By Paul Kuharsky | ESPN.com

Could North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron be about the surest thing the Tennessee Titans could draft if he's on the board at No. 11?

It's not a big position of need with Delanie Walker on the roster.

But the Titans do have a head coach who was an NFL tight end in Ken Whisenhunt. Whisenhunt's tight ends coach has been an NFL head coach with two different teams. Mike Mularkey was also a NFL tight end.

"I highly doubt Ebron would be available for the Titans," ESPN.com's resident scout, Matt Williamson said. "But I do think they would love to have him. Still, I am high enough on Walker that tight end wouldn't be my top priority."

Ty Schalter of Bleacher Report did an interesting piece on he likelihood of players panning out based on how they ultimately score in Pro Football Reference's Approximate Value.

Schalter looked at first- and second-round picks over 10 drafts whose players have at least three years of NFL experience.

"Just 14.8 percent of top-pick tight ends go three years without standing out," Schalter writes. "An incredible 81.4 percent of them make a big impact in either their first or second years. Just one tight end in this entire data set, Anthony Fasano, flopped in his first two seasons and blossomed in his third. Generally speaking, if a tight end hasn't become good after two years, he isn't going to."

Recent history bodes well for a top-rated tight end contributing early. How much that plays into the thinking of the team that takes him is something we may never know.

Steelers would be ideal just don't think he falls that far. Tampa I wouldn't mind but prefer them go Watkins/Evans so leaves Det/NYG/TB/Buf in that order.

Rotoworld:

UNC TE Eric Ebron drops too many passes to be considered a top 15 prospect by CBS Sports' Rob Rang.
Rang ranks him as the class' No. 20 overall player. "Ebron possesses a jaw-dropping combination of size and athleticism that has earned comparisons to 49ers star Vernon Davis," Rang wrote. "Like Davis, however, Ebron struggles with consistency, relying too much on his athleticism rather than dedicating himself to learning the finer techniques of the position. Some team may very well gamble earlier on Ebron's incredible upside than my ranking indicates, but he drops too many easy passes for a spot in the top 15 for me." Ebron (6-foot-3, 250 pounds) possesses top-end playing speed along with great lateral movement, but his inconsistent hands definitely need work. If it's a matter of concentration, team/coaching fit is going to be of paramount importance.

Source: CBS Sports

Will Eric Ebron break the rookie tight end trend?By Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

In the last 11 years only three rookie tight ends have scored 92 or more Fantasy points, about what it would take to crack the top 12 and be considered a No. 1 TE. (Last year's No. 12 TE, Delanie Walker, scored 93).

Rob Gronkowski produced 114 points in 2010, the greatest season ever by a rookie TE. Aaron Hernandez scored 92 that same year, and John Carlson put up 92 in 2008. Gronk and Hernandez are the only rookie TEs to clear 75 points the last five seasons.

Washington's Jordan Reed would have done it last year but missed the last six games with a concussion.

Now comes North Carolina's Eric Ebron. The 6-4, 250-pounder runs a 4.6 forty, has a knack for hurdling defenders and makes spectacular one-handed grabs. (See video above). He looks like the only rookie TE with a shot to be a Fantasy starter, though some will argue for Texas Tech's Jace Amaro too.

A consensus first-round pick, Ebron's athleticism has been compared to that of Gronk and Jimmy Graham. He caught 62 passes for 973 yards and three touchdowns last year.

If he goes to the Bills (No. 9 overall), Ebron would start right away over the lumbering Scott Chandler. General manager Doug Whaley said the tight end position is "trending toward those basketball, athletic guys that can position their body, go up and get balls, take balls away from smaller defenders. There's less of an emphasis on the blocking at the tight end position nowadays. That's the way it's going and you've got to get with the times."

Buffalo's priority is to develop EJ Manuel. Tight ends and running backs are "great friends" to a quarterback, Whaley said, adding the Bills need a "size receiver" to help Manuel.

The Buccaneers (No. 7), Giants (12), Rams (13), Jets (18), Dolphins (19), Falcons and Packers all have been linked to Ebron. His biggest upside would be with the Giants or Falcons.

Ebron is currently being drafted as the 14th TE in early drafts on myfantasyleague.com, between Tyler Eifert and Charles Clay. Ideally you'd draft Ebron as a second TE in the late rounds and see how fast he develops.

But with a steep dropoff after the top 10 TEs, Ebron could rise higher, especially if he lands in a good situation. Then we'll see him coming off the board as a low-end TE1.

Rotoworld:

ESPN.com's Rich Cimini reports the New York Jets "really like" UNC TE Eric Ebron.
"The Jets really like North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron. They see him as a wide receiver/tight end hybrid that would be a matchup nightmare in a flexed position," wrote Cimini. The problem the Jets may run into, is the Bills at No.9 and the Giants at No.12 may have interest in Ebron's services. If the Bills happen to pass on Ebron, Cimini believes it would cost the Jets "their third rounder and their two non-compensatory fourth-round picks to move up to the 11th spot" in order to put them in a position to draft Ebron. In a draft, where the talent is lacking quality tight ends, the Jets will have to think long and hard if Ebron is worth the trade up.

Source: ESPN.com

Users who are viewing this thread