What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Eric Ebron, PIT (2 Viewers)

menobrown said:
cstu said:
Yeah, but he's V. Davis with less athleticism and worse hands.
He just turned 21 in April, be patient.
In a redraft I understand but a horrible move in a dynasty format to cut him.

He's also absolutely nothing like Vernon Davis, that's a terrible comp that needs to stop. He can't run as fast or jump as high as Vernon but what TE's can? But Vernon's not a really smooth route runner either. I believe I've said it in this thread a few times. From a size/workout numbers and play style angle the comp you need to think about with Ebron is Winslow Jr.

TE's take time, be patient in dynasty and at this time of the year never count on them in a redraft format.
Agree Ebron is a much better dynasty than redraft prospect.

Davis is a Calvin Johnson-like physical phenom and athletic prodigy, probably unprecedented at his position, he ran a sub-4.4 and had something like a 40" VJ at 250+ lbs. Nonetheless, he hasn't had a Megatron-like impact, so athleticism isn't everything.

There are a few reasons Davis name comes up. He was the last TE to be taken in the top 10. His career 16.5 yards per reception average (?) may be the best in NCAA history for a future first round TE (Ebron is right behind him by about a 1/20th of a yard whisker at 16.45). Lots of first round TEs hold the potential to create size/speed/athleticism mismatches. Not many are taken in the top 10. That was a statement about his relative talent compared to previous prospects.

Jimmy Graham has come up, too, by their OC (who came from NO). He acknowledged there are things Graham can do that Ebron can't, obviously, but also that there may be things Ebron can do that Graham can't. Ebron doesn't have to be identical to Graham (or Davis) for the OC to try to create mismatches with HIS combo of size/speed/athleticism. I agree it is important for people to not read a Davis or Graham comp superficially and think they have identical skill sets, game and projected NFL future, and it is worthwhile to make that distinction. Ebron ran a 4.60 (still pretty fast for his size) with about a 34" VJ, so it wasn't for that reason that scouts graded him so high. There were other factors.

I think you hit the nail on the head in the route running critique of Davis. He didn't set the league on fire his first few years in the league, and his impact was fairly delayed relative to his talent. Which goes to show there is a lot more to being an elite TE than having elite speed and jumping ability. Scouts have said Ebron is already more advanced as a route runner than Davis at a comparable stage of development, smoother and not as straightlinish. There are different ways for a given constellation of attributes and traits to create rare mismatch problems for defenses.

Rotoworld:

First-round TE Eric Ebron is struggling as a blocker so far at camp.

It's not a surprise as Ebron was drafted 10th overall to catch passes, not block people. The good news is that he's reportedly coming along in terms of route-running and drops, and is learning four different positions. Ebron's most likely role in Year 1 is as a passing package player that lines up in the slot. Still only 21 years old, he's a far better Dynasty prospect than re-draft target.

Source: MLive.com

Aug 13 - 8:05 AM

Rotoworld:

Eric Ebron played on 18-of-68 snaps in Monday night's win over the Giants.

Brandon Pettigrew started and was used on 58 percent of the Lions' plays, with Joseph Fauria getting 29 snaps. Ebron is going to be more involved as the year progresses, but he's just a deep stash in re-draft leagues. His best path to playing time could be at slot receiver over Jeremy Ross. Ebron was held without a catch on two targets in his debut.

Sep 9 - 11:16 AM

Rotoworld:

Eric Ebron (23) played fewer snaps than both Brandon Pettigrew (49) and Joseph Fauria (25) in the Lions' Week 3 win over Green Bay.

The Detroit Free Press describes Ebron as a "bit player" in first-year OC Joe Lombardi's offense. This is probably a good time to buy 21-year-old Ebron in Dynasty leagues. He's not even a viable TE2 in re-draft formats, however.

Source: Detroit Free Press
Sep 22 - 3:44 PM

Rotoworld:

Eric Ebron - TE - Lions

The Lions' website expects rookie Eric Ebron to play a "much bigger role" in Week 4 against the Jets with Joseph Fauria (ankle) out of commission.

The 10th overall pick in May's draft, Ebron has managed 38 yards on eight targets to this point in the season. His snap count will presumably go from the 23-25 range into the 40s against the Jets. Although Ebron is an especially green, 21-year-old rookie, he's worth a long look for TE1 streamers. Ebron ran 4.6-flat at the Combine, with an explosive 10-foot broad jump at 6-foot-4, 250.

Source: detroitlions.com

Sep 26 - 3:25 PM

Rotoworld:

Eric Ebron - TE - Lions

The Lions' website expects rookie Eric Ebron to play a "much bigger role" in Week 4 against the Jets with Joseph Fauria (ankle) out of commission.

The 10th overall pick in May's draft, Ebron has managed 38 yards on eight targets to this point in the season. His snap count will presumably go from the 23-25 range into the 40s against the Jets. Although Ebron is an especially green, 21-year-old rookie, he's worth a long look for TE1 streamers. Ebron ran 4.6-flat at the Combine, with an explosive 10-foot broad jump at 6-foot-4, 250.

Sep 26 - 3:25 PM
Calvin banged up too.

This year is the first year I heard about streaming defenses. Now its' everywhere. It's a more fancy word for TE by committee I think. See you and I aren't so different after all. We are both rolling ours eyes at the streaming thing.

If you have two or three TEs rostered that you rotate in based on matchups, you've got a TE by committee. If you pick up a TE and roll with him for a week or so, then drop for another TE off the waiver wire, then repeat and repeat, you're streaming. This ain't new.

TE streaming is a fancy word for an idiot who was too dense to either draft a good te or pick one up (there have been many available) after the first couple of weeks. I cannot even imagine having to start this guy even if I was playing in a 14 team league. Streaming defenses is a strategy, streaming anything else is throwing sh&t against the wall to see what might stick.

I think Ebron is going to have some great games, like Finley did for us, but Detroit fans will also suffer some disappointment because he's going to have some big drops also like Finley. Ebron looks like he fights the ball about half the time it comes to him, the problem with these type guys is they never seem to get better. I am not saying he won't change, it just rarely ever seems to happen, guys can either catch or they can't. Jimmy Graham does the same thing just not as bad and his numbers are sick so his drops are overlooked.

i think he's a guy you have to be patient with. he got by in college off his raw talent and is only 21. he'll need some time to learn the game.

he'll be alright longterm unless he just mails it in.

Rotoworld:

Eric Ebron caught three passes for 34 yards and a touchdown against the Jets Week 4.

Ebron played a bigger offensive role with Joseph Fauria (ankle) out and Calvin Johnson (ankle) limited, but still only saw four targets thrown his way. Ebron is on pace for 24 catches for 288 yards and four scores this season.

Sep 28 - 4:40 PM

TE streaming is a fancy word for an idiot who was too dense to either draft a good te or pick one up (there have been many available) after the first couple of weeks. I cannot even imagine having to start this guy even if I was playing in a 14 team league. Streaming defenses is a strategy, streaming anything else is throwing sh&t against the wall to see what might stick.
fart.

I just wanted to see if anybody who has watched Ebron play this season cares to comment. I need a bye week filler at TE in a non-ppr and I'm looking at guys like him or even an Owen Daniels as a one week play. If Calvin sits this week--I feel like he becomes a much more intriguing play--but I hate starting a player without an "eye"-test. My question is to anybody who has seen him play---does he look like a startable player even as a one week fill in--or is this guy just pure dynasty hold material at this point? Thank you in advance.

I just wanted to see if anybody who has watched Ebron play this season cares to comment. I need a bye week filler at TE in a non-ppr and I'm looking at guys like him or even an Owen Daniels as a one week play. If Calvin sits this week--I feel like he becomes a much more intriguing play--but I hate starting a player without an "eye"-test. My question is to anybody who has seen him play---does he look like a startable player even as a one week fill in--or is this guy just pure dynasty hold material at this point? Thank you in advance.
While Calvin is out they will be forced to use him more. Pettigrew is mainly a blocker & Fauria is hurt.

Leroy Hoard said:
jvdesigns2002 said:
While Calvin is out they will be forced to use him more. Pettigrew is mainly a blocker & Fauria is hurt.
Thank you for the reply. Your breakdown is a primary reason why I'm considering grabbing him and starting him this week. What I didn't know is--with this situation where he might get major "usage"--does he have a good enough skill set to translate this usage into useful fantasy statistics? I've just never seen him play an NFL game and wasn't sure if the only thing holding him back so far is ample usage.

jvdesigns2002 said:
I have watched every game and Ebron has done nothing to show why he was drafted 10 overall. If the players did not have numbers you would think it was Pettigrew out there. Ebron has been playing only about 30% of the snaps due to the fact he is still not comfortable with all the offensive sets and has dropped a few passes.

That being said if you are going to take a shot in the dark this is the week with Calvin out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leroy Hoard said:
jvdesigns2002 said:
Thank you for the reply. Your breakdown is a primary reason why I'm considering grabbing him and starting him this week. What I didn't know is--with this situation where he might get major "usage"--does he have a good enough skill set to translate this usage into useful fantasy statistics? I've just never seen him play an NFL game and wasn't sure if the only thing holding him back so far is ample usage.
Hands are the big question with him, otherwise he has the physical tools which made him a high draft pick.

jvdesigns2002 said:
I have watched every game and Ebron has done nothing to show why he was drafted 10 overall. If the players did not have numbers you would think it was Pettigrew out there. Ebron has been playing only about 30% of the snaps due to the fact he is still not comfortable with all the offensive sets and has dropped a few passes.

That being said if you are going to take a shot in the dark this is the week with Calvin out.
thank you for the reply. this certainly paints a clearer picture for me.

Well, yeah, people forget that it wasn’t easy for Tony Gonzalez at first. Now, you look at Tony Gonzalez’ numbers and the jaw drops. He isn’t just the most prolific tight end in the history of the game. Nobody comes close.

Incredible, no? But it wasn’t like that at first. There were big expectations, of course. Gonzalez was preposterously talented, huge (6-foot-5, 250 pounds), and fast, and more than just fast he was also quick, and he could jump, and he had these claws for hands. But at first, Gonzalez was like a bunch of jigsaw puzzle pieces of talents. Nobody could quite figure out how to make a great tight end out of him. He showed some promise his rookie year, but he didn’t start a game, and coaches grumbled quietly about his blocking. Pretty boy? Well, they said it would take some time.

The second year, the coaches thought Gonzalez would take the big leap forward, vault into superstardom, and Gonzalez was pretty sure of it. His numbers did go up. He caught 59 passes -- quite a few for a tight end. But it wasn’t coming together like everyone hoped. His blocking was uninspiring. And he was a more unusual player than anyone had expected. He didn’t really run receiving patterns like other tight ends -- he seemed more comfortable going to an open spot and turning around and sort of blocking out his defender, like he was a big man in the post. He was fast, but he wasn’t especially elusive. He didn’t break many tackles. He was generally tackled right where he caught the ball.

And, he dropped a lot of passes. No, really: Tony Gonzalez -- who should have a bust of his HANDS in Canton as well as a bust of his head -- actually dropped a lot of passes. Gonzalez counted 13 drops. Later, he adjusted it to 17 drops. Whatever the number, it was noticeable. At one point, after dropping another pass at Arrowhead, he heard a smattering of boos. They felt like fireballs.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40927752/

Just heard on local radio that Calvin has the dreaded HAS. So Ebron should get his chance to prove something.

Rotoworld:

Eric Ebron caught 2-of-4 targets for 23 yards against the Vikings Week 6.

Matthew Stafford missed a wide-open Ebron for what would have been a long gain. Ebron now has exactly four targets in each of the last three games. Despite the uptick in usage, Ebron is nothing more than an upside TE2.

Oct 12 - 4:38 PM

Rotoworld:

Eric Ebron (hamstring) remained sidelined at Friday's practice.

Ebron tweaked his hamstring in Wednesday's practice and has missed the last two sessions. Coach Jim Caldwell didn't seem optimistic about the rookie's chances of playing Week 7. Golden Tate, Reggie Bush, and Corey Fuller will be Matthew Satfford's top three targets with Calvin Johnon (ankle) also likely out.

Source: Tim Twentyman on Twitter

Oct 17 - 11:38 AM

Rotoworld:

Eric Ebron secured 2-of-7 targets for 23 yards in the Lions' Week 12 loss to New England.

To say Ebron's rookie year has been underwhelming would be an understatement. That said, this is probably a good time to put in a trade offer for Ebron in Dynasty leagues. He's only 21 years old, and will only get better.

Nov 23 - 4:52 PM

Here are the only 21 year old TE's to catch at least 20 passes their rookie year:

Code:
        NAME 	        POS 	YR 	AGE 	EXP 	G 	REC 	RECYD 	YD/REC 	RECTD 	FANT PT1	Aaron Hernandez	te	2010	21	1	14	45	563	12.51	6	97.02	Rob Gronkowski	te	2010	21	1	16	42	546	13.00	10	114.63	Jason Witten	te	2003	21	1	15	35	347	9.91	1	40.74	Tony Gonzalez	te	1997	21	1	16	33	368	11.15	2	48.85	Eric Ebron	te	2014	21	1	10	22	199	9.05	1	25.96	Mart. Bennett	te	2008	21	1	16	20	283	14.15	4	52.3

Rotoworld:

Eric Ebron - TE - Lions

Eric Ebron secured 3-of-3 targets for 21 yards in the Lions' Wild Card Round loss to the Cowboys.

Ebron saw his first target late in the third quarter, picking up eight yards. He added gains of six and seven on two fourth-quarter checkdowns. Ebron is incredibly young -- he won't turn 22 until next April -- so his 25-248-1 rookie-season line shouldn't be taken as an indication he'll disappoint in the NFL. Ebron does need to become a more consistent pass catcher and learn to play to his athleticism. He too often "played slow" as a rookie. The Lions will certainly look to Ebron for a second-year leap in 2015. He wouldn't be a bad "buy-low" target in Dynasty and keeper leagues.

Jan 4 - 8:31 PM

Rotoworld:

Eric Ebron - TE - Lions

Eric Ebron secured 3-of-3 targets for 21 yards in the Lions' Wild Card Round loss to the Cowboys.

Ebron saw his first target late in the third quarter, picking up eight yards. He added gains of six and seven on two fourth-quarter checkdowns. Ebron is incredibly young -- he won't turn 22 until next April -- so his 25-248-1 rookie-season line shouldn't be taken as an indication he'll disappoint in the NFL. Ebron does need to become a more consistent pass catcher and learn to play to his athleticism. He too often "played slow" as a rookie. The Lions will certainly look to Ebron for a second-year leap in 2015. He wouldn't be a bad "buy-low" target in Dynasty and keeper leagues.

Floor of 50 catches in 2015.

Rotoworld:

Eric Ebron - TE - Lions

Floor of 50 catches in 2015.
He'll need 150 targets to get there. ;)

Rotoworld:

Lions GM Martin Mayhew said he expects a second-year leap from Eric Ebron.
Ebron was limited to 25 catches as a rookie, playing the majority of the season behind in-line blocker Brandon Pettigrew. He'll be a prime candidate for an expanded role entering his second year under OC Joe Lombardi. Ebron has TE1 upside in the Lions' high-volume passing attack. Still just 21, he remains a buy-low target in Dynasty leagues.

Feb 4 - 6:14 PM

Rotoworld:

Ebron was limited to 25 catches as a rookie, playing the majority of the season behind in-line blocker Brandon Pettigrew. He'll be a prime candidate for an expanded role entering his second year under OC Joe Lombardi. Ebron has TE1 upside in the Lions' high-volume passing attack. Still just 21, he remains a buy-low target in Dynasty leagues.

How different would things be right now if they had drafted Donald and picked up a servicable TE like Owen Daniels. They wouldn't have to throw the bank at Suh, wouldn't have missed Fairley as much and still would have gotten more production at TE last year.

I know it's time to move on from last season but Mayhew blew this one and the ramifications of this pick will likely be felt for years.

Rotoworld:

How different would things be right now if they had drafted Donald and picked up a servicable TE like Owen Daniels. They wouldn't have to throw the bank at Suh, wouldn't have missed Fairley as much and still would have gotten more production at TE last year. I know it's time to move on from last season but Mayhew blew this one and the ramifications of this pick will likely be felt for years.
because he didnt put up gronk/graham #s in his rookie year?

Does anyone put up Gronk numbers year 1? Those expecting him to be a TE1 rookie year don't understand TE development.

This is the perfect buy low time for Ebron. It is also the reason you shouldn't go investing a high first round pick on the TE position. Typically, only the most saavy of owners know to hold and see the development through. Most everyone else is looking for immediate Graham numbers day 1.

Users who are viewing this thread