What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Terrance West, Ravens (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
NFL Draft: Towson star RB Terrance West to forgo senior season

Jason La Canfora

Towson University RB Terrance West, a runner-up for FCS player of the year who led the tiny program to its first national title game, told me he will forgo his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

West received a national draft grade of the third round, and some scouts I've talked to have him rated higher than that. He has a pro body, runs with authority, is explosive and set several FCS records as a junior. In a weak draft for running backs, he could be primed to make waves.

West was a big-school recruit, but ended up going to prep school, had difficulty qualifying due to his SAT score, and ended up at Towson, a school a few miles outside of downtown Baltimore, near his home, where he has flourished and drawn plenty of attention from the scouting community.

West could have stayed another season but his pro prospects are high after several standout performances on ESPN during the FCS playoffs and will leave the Baltimore area tomorrow to begin intense combine preparations. West, and Towson corner Jordan Love -- a transfer from Georgia expected to go in the fifth round -- are signing with agent Marc Lillibridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Towson's Terrance West sets FCS playoff record

By Tom Fornelli | College Football Writer

December 14, 2013 12:58 pm ET

On Friday night Towson pulled off the upset of Eastern Illinois in an FCS quarterfinal game, winning 49-39, thanks to a record-setting performance from running back Terrance West.

Though West wasn't even aware of his record during the game.

"I did?" was West's response after the game when he was asked if he was aware that he'd set a new single-game FCS playoff record with 354 rushing yards. He did. He also rushed for five touchdowns, helping the Tigers overcome a 14-0 deficit to the favored Panthers on a cold, snowy night in Charleston, Illinois.

West's performance helped the Tigers advance to the semifinals, where they'll take on the winner of Saturday's game between Eastern Washington and Jacksonville State next week.

2014 NFL Combine: Towson RB West leads the small school hopefuls

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
February 21, 2014 3:37 pm ET

Excerpt:

Every year there are lesser known "small school" prospects that arrive in Indianapolis for the NFL Combine and make it a point to make sure everyone knows their name. Players from the FCS, Division II and Division III levels usually aren't household names, but many are well known in the scouting community.

More than 330 prospects were invited to the 2014 NFL Combine and 37 of those players hail from a non-FBS level program, including Towson running back Terrance West, who might be the first small school prospect off the board. And maybe in the first 100 picks.

"Some of the greatest guys to play the NFL game came from small schools, like Jerry Rice," West said. "The competition doesn't change; the rules of the game don't change. Football is football, no matter the level."

West has a loaded backstory -- he struggled to qualify academically out of high school, left Fork Union Military Academy prematurely because he was too far from home, and worked at a shoe store while trying to walk on at Maryland or Clemson before ultimately deciding to walk on at nearby Towson.

"Amazing what I came from and what I overcame," West said in response to all the adversity thrown his way. "A lot of people would have given up and turned in their cleats, I overcame all the obstacles thrown at me."

West was productive during his first two seasons at Towson, sharing backfield duties, but his production skyrocketed in 2013, finishing with a FCS-record 2,509 rushing yards and 41 rushing scores. Although rare for non-FBS juniors to leave early for the NFL Draft, West understandably decided to make the jump.

Now he wants to make another jump -- up draft boards with a positive combine experience.

"This is a chance to show that I can play on any level," West said. "I want to show guys I can do everything: catch the ball, grind, quick cuts, good footwork. ... I'm quick, great vision, always make someone miss, always falling forward."

West is built well for the NFL game and delivers hits with natural power and initial momentum, staying light on his feet and finishing strong. Although he doesn't have elite athletic traits, he is reminiscent of Joique Bell and fits a similar type of role where he can offer a nice power and quickness compliment.

West also has some extra motivation with a 5-year old son, Brendan, at home, saying he doesn't want his son to "go through" what he did. On more than one occasion, West has mentioned four words that seem to have become his personal motto: "Stay humble and hungry."

Already viewed as a solid middle-round option, West will boost his profile even higher with a positive combine performance. And in a running back class with a lot of different options, West offers a unique flavor that could land him on Day 2 of draft weekend.

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell calls Towson's Terrance West a "fascinating" prospect who "has the skill set of a foundation runner."
The analyst said he "saw a lot of NFL runs and traits" while perusing West's collegiate game film. "He had patience, he pressed the hole, he had vision, he had low pad level," Cosell said. "He ran through contact. He finished with power. I thought he had a very natural feel as a runner." Mel Kiper's favorite RB sleeper ran roughshod over inferior competition last year, rushing for a ridiculous 2,578 yards and 41 touchdowns. The 5-foot-9, 225-pounder ran an impressive 4.54 second 40-yard dash time at the combine.

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast
Towson RB Terrance West is Mel Kiper's favorite RB sleeper.

"He is a big, powerful back at 5-foot-9, 225 pounds, and he ran an impressive 40-yard dash time at the combine at 4.54 seconds," Kiper said. "I really like his running style, he can catch the ball out of the backfield and he just has a nose for the end zone. He could be a good value in the middle or later rounds." West was the most productive back in the country last year, rushing for a ridiculous 2,578 yards and 41 touchdowns.

Mar 25 - 9:59 PM

Source: ESPN Insider
NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah has been impressed with Towson junior RB Terrance West's tape.

"Really like what I've seen from... West," Jeremiah begins, saying the running back has "excellent lateral quickness, balance and vision. Has value as a pass catcher too." West is is thicker ball carrier, likely standing around 5'11/223 pounds, but he is a talented runner who could be a late second to early third day pick.

Feb 10 - 11:42 AM

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

I'm confused... Why is West not ranked MUCH higher? He could be the best RB in the draft. I mean there is no stud RB this year, right? Maybe West is that guy?

After reading the article he had an infant son that like made life much harder for him. Maybe he would have gone to a more competitive school. He made the most if his time at Townson.

Why couldn't he be the best RB in this draft?

Okay so he's my new favorite RB I think. If he lands in a good spot I might take him early round 1 of rookie drafts.

I'm confused... Why is West not ranked MUCH higher? He could be the best RB in the draft. I mean there is no stud RB this year, right? Maybe West is that guy?

After reading the article he had an infant son that like made life much harder for him. Maybe he would have gone to a more competitive school. He made the most if his time at Townson.

Okay so he's my new favorite RB I think. If he lands in a good spot I might take him early round 1 of rookie drafts.
Was thinking the same thing. If he lands in the right situation, he could be at least a nice dynasty stash and possibly something more

The problem with him is the small school and level of competition he played. I think the hype is already getting a little out of control for him though. Could he be that next Zac Stacy type of player? Sure but there's also 10 other guys you could name that might be the same. 3rd-4th round rookie pick for me unless his situation is that enticing.

The problem with him is the small school and level of competition he played. I think the hype is already getting a little out of control for him though. Could he be that next Zac Stacy type of player? Sure but there's also 10 other guys you could name that might be the same. 3rd-4th round rookie pick for me unless his situation is that enticing.
I agree it presents some challenges in scouting, but Rashad Jennings, Hightower and Brian Westbrook were all FCS players. Westbrook was on a different level as far as his all-around game but West compares favorably to Jennings and Hightower.

His best NFL comp is Doug Martin but with a little less speed and less proven hands. I'm confident West is an NFL RB but not that he's a starter. He could be but he has a lot to prove in the NFL.

West's 41 TD's last year broke the FCS record of 35. His 29 TD's his freshman year (11 games) is the per game TD record (2.6). He had an off sophomore year, but over his freshman and junior years he averaged 2.6 TD's a game.

West's 41 TD's last year broke the FCS record of 35. His 29 TD's his freshman year (11 games) is the per game TD record (2.6). He had an off sophomore year, but over his freshman and junior years he averaged 2.6 TD's a game.
Those numbers are Bo Jackson in Tecmo bowl ridiculous...

Gandalf said:

I wonder if he was recruited much out of high school. I can't find him in the Rivals database. He could be a late bloomer. I like what I have heard and he is in my top 5.

I can't wait until the NFL draft...

I had to watch the TD run at the 1:33 mark of this video

You watch that whole thing and that's your takeaway? Yeah those guys missed a lot of tackles but West runs with great vision and quickness. I like this kid a lot. Even with the poor tackling.

Gandalf said:

I wonder if he was recruited much out of high school. I can't find him in the Rivals database. He could be a late bloomer. I like what I have heard and he is in my top 5.

I can't wait until the NFL draft...
West had to go to that questionable prep school in Virginia because of academics and even after that his SATs were not high enough to transfer to D-1 schools. he has an NFL body and measurables.

When you watch these lower level guys you should be looking for vision, feet, explosiveness and agility more than tackle breaking and yardage, two things that can be deceptive due to weaker competition.

As a Towson Alum, I watched West play a ton. I think on the right team, he can make an impact day 1. Very phyical runner and has decent speed for his size too. He really could be one of the better RBs in this year's class. Just not getting the attention since he played in the FCS.

In haste I didn't say that I watched that play about 10 times. It is pathetic tackling. I cannot take anything further away from that particular run than this.

I like West quite a bit do not get me wrong. But his level of competition is something to be mindful of as well.

I just listen to his combine interview. http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Combine-Presser-Terrence-West/4bda6b66-9869-456f-9557-797ced33b520 He is surpring relaxed, well spoken and straight forward with his all his answers. Since he wasn't recuited he worked in a sports shoe store before he got the oppertunity to play at Towson. It is hard not to like him when you hear about how he used to get up at 3:00 am to catch the bus and be at practice on time. He also says that he always had natural hands and never had a problem catching the ball. Near the end of the interview, he compares his game to Frank Gore. IMO that is not a bad comparison.

I just listen to his combine interview. http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Combine-Presser-Terrence-West/4bda6b66-9869-456f-9557-797ced33b520 He is surpring relaxed, well spoken and straight forward with his all his answers. Since he wasn't recuited he worked in a sports shoe store before he got the oppertunity to play at Towson. It is hard not to like him when you hear about how he used to get up at 3:00 am to catch the bus and be at practice on time. He also says that he always had natural hands and never had a problem catching the ball. Near the end of the interview, he compares his game to Frank Gore. IMO that is not a bad comparison.
He's going to be successful.

Definitely has the attitude and work ethic to do it. I find it a rarity where small school prospects become long term starters so my expectations are tempered because of that, but I do like almost everything about him.

Definitely has the attitude and work ethic to do it. I find it a rarity where small school prospects become long term starters so my expectations are tempered because of that, but I do like almost everything about him.
It's a rarity but off the top of my head:

Brian Westbrook

Danny Woodhead

Pierre Garcon

Tony Romo

Vincent Jackson

Alfred Morris

TY Hilton

It happens.

It's a rarity but you could argue that the ones who do make it as a starter are pretty darn good.

Brian Westbrook

Danny Woodhead

Pierre Garcon

Tony Romo

Vincent Jackson

Alfred Morris

TY Hilton

It happens.
I guess you should define "small". Marques Colston, Jerry Rice, Fred Jackson, Roddy White, and Joique Bell.

matttyl said:
Dr. Octopus said:
GeeYouknit said:

Brian Westbrook

Danny Woodhead

Pierre Garcon

Tony Romo

Vincent Jackson

Alfred Morris

TY Hilton

It happens.
I guess you should define "small". Marques Colston, Jerry Rice, Fred Jackson, Roddy White, and Joique Bell.
I think all of the players on both lists would qualify as having attended small schools. Small in the not NCAA football factories.

Rotoworld:

Towson RB Terrance West visited the Titans this week.
West is a thickly built runner who bounces off contact. Some coaches will likely that, while others would prefer he keep his shoulders square to the defense. He should be a fourth-round pick at best.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Jeremiah: Titans could replace CJ2K with Terrance WestBy Bryan Fischer

College Football 24/7 writer

The big story around the NFL on Friday was the long anticipated release of Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson.

Even though the breakup was a long time in the making, it still is a little tough for some to fathom considering how bright a star Johnson turned into after bursting onto the scene as a rookie in 2008. As teams such as the Cowboys, Jets and Giants ponder if the former Pro Bowler is worth signing, the Titans have their own decision to make: Who will the team draft to be Johnson's replacement?

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah suggested one name on "Path to the Draft" on Friday and thinks the team should stick with finding a running back who's not from a BCS power.

"I'm going to go to a small school: Towson University, Terrance West," Jeremiah said. "I loved when I watched him on tape. He carries that 220-plus pounds, he can run between the tackles, a very physical runner."

West might not be well known among most college football and NFL fans, but he has the potential to turn into a household name at the next level. He rushed for 42 touchdowns and 2,509 yards last season as a junior, powering Towson to a surprising appearance in the FCS title game.

While he lacks elite speed -- certainly nowhere near Johnson's -- West did clock a solid 4.54 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. He is looking to impress teams during private workouts in the lead up to the 2014 NFL Draft.

The Titans, by the way, already had West in for a visit before releasing Johnson.

"I love the agility as well as the vision he has inside," Jeremiah said about West. "He can catch the ball but will get better in that area. I think he'd be a great fit in Tennessee."

It's doubtful the Titans -- or any other team for that matter -- will look at West in the first round, but he could be in play on the second day of the draft. Though he hasn't cracked analyst Mike Mayock's list of top five running backs, West is emerging as a bit of a draft sleeper for teams in need of a running back.

Charles Davis also thinks Tennessee could look to grab Johnson's replacement even later in the draft. Given how much the position has been devalued, you could argue there will be plenty of value in drafting a back on the third day.

"I'll go a little bit deeper in the draft: How about Storm Johnson from UCF?" Davis said. "I thought he got better as the season went on. Coach George O'Leary had to get his attention a little bit and challenge him. He's a guy that can run the football and catch it out of the backfield, which is ideal for Ken Whisenhunt's offense."

Who will be Chris Johnson's replacement in Tennessee? The Titans front office might not even know at this point, but they certainly will take a look at West, among others, to help spell the load of Shonn Greene and Dexter McCluster.

Follow Bryan Fischer on Twitter @BryanDFischer.

I've seen this kid play up close. Real deal.

Towson isn't in the FBS, but the CAA is the SEC equivalent of the FCS, and has had several schools move up from there into the FBS- most recently Old Dominion.

failed a lot of classes and almost didn't graduate in HS.

I have no idea if that's lack of intelligence or person too young overwhelmed by raising a child at such a young age.

He seems to have clearly got his ducks in a row and as far as I'm concerned that's all that matters, not low grades or low SAT score years ago

Those numbers are Bo Jackson in Tecmo bowl ridiculous...
What happened the other year? 84 total right?

My interest is piqued, I would like some agility measurments like 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle before I put a final ranking on the guy. I'd also like to see a 10 yard split.

Finesse runner with good hands. No power for a 225lb RB. Don't see how he's any better than Lorenzo Taliaferro.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Towson RB Terrance West will be drafted in the third round.
"If you want Towson RB Terrance West, you'll need to draft him in the 3rd round, I don't see him falling out of the top-100 picks. One of my faves," Brugler tweeted. West is a one-cut, downhill runner who flashes good vision and power. West is a popular sleeper amongst some evaluators, but the word may be out on his talents. Last season, West had a monster season with 2,578 yards and 41 touchdowns for the Towson Tigers. The small school prospect has a had a long journey to this point in his career and is generating some serious buzz at the right time.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter
TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports Towson RB Terrance West worked out for the Arizona Cardinals and had an official visit with the Tennessee Titans.
Ken Whisenhunt is desperately looking to improve his running attack and the Titans are now left with Shonn Greene as the only capable starter, after releasing Chris Johnson. The Titans could strike early in the draft for a RB, but they could also look in the later rounds to draft a prospect like West. The Cardinals are also in need of bringing quality depth at the running back position, with Andre Ellington slated as their starter. The 5'9, 225 pound West could easily bring a perfect blend of speed and power to either teams' backfield. In only three seasons at Towson, West put up 4,854 rushing yards and 84 touchdowns. West is a talented back who could be a late second to early third day pick.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports Towson RB Terrance West worked out for the Arizona Cardinals and had an official visit with the Tennessee Titans.
Ken Whisenhunt is desperately looking to improve his running attack and the Titans are now left with Shonn Greene as the only capable starter, after releasing Chris Johnson. The Titans could strike early in the draft for a RB, but they could also look in the later rounds to draft a prospect like West. The Cardinals are also in need of bringing quality depth at the running back position, with Andre Ellington slated as their starter. The 5'9, 225 pound West could easily bring a perfect blend of speed and power to either teams' backfield. In only three seasons at Towson, West put up 4,854 rushing yards and 84 touchdowns. West is a talented back who could be a late second to early third day pick.
If he goes to the Cardinals he'll be the starter, not Ellington.

I have West ranked #3 behind Crowell and Lache. I'm higher on him than most. Really like the size and the footwork he displays. Am I concern about the level of competition sure but I trust what I saw.

Users who are viewing this thread