What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Charles Sims, Buccaneers (1 Viewer)

Just read on Rotoworld a plan to gradually increase his role barring a fumble problem.
Rotoworld:

The Tampa Bay Times' Greg Auman expects Charles Sims' role to "gradually increase."

As long as he doesn't fumble like he did on his seventh carry in his NFL debut last week. Sims is an all-around back capable of playing three downs, but most expect Bobby Rainey to remain a big part of the offense. Rainey was better as a pass-catcher Sunday, though catching the ball is one of Sims' strengths. The thing here is we can't expect Sims to just come in and get all the touches for Tampa. Doug Martin is likely to settle in as the No. 3.

Related: Doug Martin, Bobby Rainey

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter

Bucs put 'bell-cow' approach out to pasture

Excerpt:

Then, there’s Sims, on whom the Bucs used a third-round draft pick. The team has described Sims as an all-purpose running back and it’s obvious they have big plans for him. But Sims missed the first eight games with an ankle injury. He made his debut and had 23 yards on eight carries.

What Arroyo was saying was that the Bucs are going to use a committee approach going forward. That might not be good news for fantasy owners of Tampa Bay’s running backs. But it should be good news for the Bucs.

They have four talented running backs, with four different skill sets, so they might as well use them all.

Redraft PPR:

Went ahead and cut bait today for Jon Stewart of all guys. Remaining schedule & that Stewart's running better right now than he has in years were primary reasons.

Tampa 4 of final 6 on road. I just don't think he pushes aside Rainey completely in pass game this year. His running skills don't really stand out & if the rumor above it's committee, I just don't think the value's there to have any sort of confidence starting @Det, @Car, vs. GB during fantasy playoff time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redraft PPR:

Went ahead and cut bait today for Jon Stewart of all guys. Remaining schedule & that Stewart's running better right now than he has in years were primary reasons.
I'm starting Stewart over him as my RB3 in PPR this week but I still think it's too soon to cut bait with Sims. Role is about to grow and if he starts getting more involved in the passing game (which really needs to happen given his skill set) he could end up being very productive in PPR leagues.

Charles Sims rushed 13 times for 36 yards in Sunday's Week 11 win over the Redskins.
Bobby Rainey started, but Sims played the majority of snaps this week. He had 16 touches compared to Rainey's five carries. Despite being talked up as a potential starter, Sims has looked like a middling talent that's best suited for a third-down role. The Bucs running scheme -- and not Doug Martin -- has been the bigger problem this season. Nov 16 - 5:08 PM

Rotoworld:

Charles Sims led Bucs RBs by playing on 33-of-52 snaps in Sunday's win over the Redskins.

Bobby Rainey started the game, but was replaced on the second series and finished with five touches on 19 snaps. Mike James did not even play a snap and Doug Martin (ankle) was a scratch once again. It left Sims to pile up 16 touches and although he was not productive (44 total yards), he's clearly making progress. "He is looking better and better," coach Lovie Smith afterward. Expect Sims to function as the Bucs' lead back the rest of the way, giving him some flex appeal heading into a Week 12 game against the Bears.

Related: Doug Martin, Bobby Rainey, Mike James

Source: Tampa Bay Times

Nov 17 - 8:48 AM

some of us bought this lottery ticket and can use him Losses this year to knnowshon and now Ahamad, I might be forced to pair him with Jennings or roll with West but Cleveled RB by committee sucks. All hail Chalie Sims...let's go

For those who follow the Bucs, what are the chances that Martin comes back in the next week or two and re-asserts himself as the starter? It's not like Sims, Rainey, or James have done much behind that line to claim the job. I've been trying to find current info on Martin and haven't seen much (just that he returned to practice last week in a very limited fashion). Will this backfield continue to be a compete mess or do you think Sims will eventually pull away to claim at least a lion's share of the touches?

10 touches in first game

16 touches in second game

Even if Rainey still "starts" it seems clear Sims is the new lead back. Matchup this week is against a Chicago defense that ranks in the middle of the pack against the run but isn't a shut-down group by any means. Given his receiving ability, I could see Sims reaching low-end RB2 production in PPR this week, especially if he gets closer to 20 touches.

10 touches in first game

Even if Rainey still "starts" it seems clear Sims is the new lead back. Matchup this week is against a Chicago defense that ranks in the middle of the pack against the run but isn't a shut-down group by any means. Given his receiving ability, I could see Sims reaching low-end RB2 production in PPR this week, especially if he gets closer to 20 touches.
Him or Boom Herron for a diceroll for me with Bradshaw injury. Like the touches despite the lack of production so I am going Sims. Evans can't go for 200 every week right? :oldunsure:

10 touches in first game

Him or Boom Herron for a diceroll for me with Bradshaw injury. Like the touches despite the lack of production so I am going Sims. Evans can't go for 200 every week right? :oldunsure:
He might. He's pretty darn good.

Not to turn this into a WDIS discussion but I don't see how you can start a guy who could get 3-4 touches over someone who is locked into double digits with upwards of 20 realistic. Herron could come through because nutty things will happen in this game but his floor is considerably lower than Sims' in my opinion.

10 touches in first game

He might. He's pretty darn good.

Not to turn this into a WDIS discussion but I don't see how you can start a guy who could get 3-4 touches over someone who is locked into double digits with upwards of 20 realistic. Herron could come through because nutty things will happen in this game but his floor is considerably lower than Sims' in my opinion.
Thanks for feedback. I agree. :thumbup:

10 touches in first game

I noticed that bump in carries too.

Could get interesting.

Here's what ESPN says about Tampa Bay rookie 3rd round RB Charles Sims:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles Sims | RB | TB Sims had 13 carries for 36 rushing yards and three catches on four targets for eight receiving yards Sunday against the Redskins.

Spin:
While the total output wasn't prolific, Sims finished with eight more carries than Bobby Rainey, who started Sunday's game in place of the injured Doug Martin (ankle). Sims was widely expected to become the starter once he returned from his own ankle injury, and after Sunday's performance, it appears likely that he'll move to the top of the depth chart in Week 12 against the Bears, even if Martin is able to return.

One of the Bucs beat writers - can't remember which one, sorry - predicted on Twitter that Sims would dominate the touches in Week 11 (which he did) and then become the starter in Week 12. We'll see if that happens.

Already looks like the guy.

He's tall.
He looks terrible.
Oof. Not a good start.
He looks terrible.
Even without the fumble he looked bad... much slower than I expected.
Rubbish. All that hype for nothing.
That line is the worst in the league.
Any more observations from anyone having seen him play for a bit?

The Bucs had a free shot to claim RB Ben Tate but passed up the chance.

If they had any doubts they easily could have picked up Tate to solidify their backfield.

I can't see that anyway other than a vote of confidence for Tampa Bay RB Charles Sims.

If they had any doubts they easily could have picked up Tate to solidify their backfield.

I can't see that anyway other than a vote of confidence for Tampa Bay RB Charles Sims.
It's too soon to call Sims anything other than a work in progress. The real problem in Tampa is the O Line's blocking.

Lovie compared him to Forte again today. Sure would like to see him back that belief up by really integrating Sims into the passing game.

Rotoworld:

Charles Sims was added to the Bucs' injury report Thursday, getting in a limited session with an ankle issue.

It's an eye-brow raising add to the injury report for a player who missed the first nine weeks of the season with an ankle injury, but we haven't seen any other reason to worry about Sims' Week 12 availability. His status will obviously be worth double-checking on Friday, but this is likely just a case of the Bucs getting Sims some rest coming off his first two NFL games.

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter

Nov 20 - 5:21 PM

Rotoworld:

Bucs declared Charles Sims active for Week 12 against the Bears.
Sims was questionable after being added to the injury report on Thursday. He was limited both Thursday and Friday. With Doug Martin also active, Sims workload is anything but certain. The Bucs backfield is one to avoid Week 12.

Nov 23 - 12:02 PM

Rotoworld:

Charles Sims rushed six times for 22 yards Week 12 against the Bears.

Sims rotated series with Doug Martin through the first three quarters, but was out-touched 12-8 by Martin. Sims saw more success on the ground than Martin, but still struggled in the Bucs' limiting run scheme. Likely on the worse side of a RBBC, Sims will not be worth a start against the Bengals Week 13.

Nov 23 - 5:00 PM

PPR:

I'd avoid unless you just have a free bench slot. I'd never be comfortable starting him this year so I cut bait last week. Don't think he's any better runner than Martin.

I had him on my watch list for redraft thinking they'd use him quite a bit as receiver. Seems Rainey still holds that role.

Does Sims have any re-draft value ROS? I'm thinking I could make better use of my bench slot.

Not sure what you can expect from a guy who gets 8 touches on a team that manages only one TD against a horrible defense.

So much for all the reports from people like Caplan and others that said the Bucs loved Sims and were going to take a good look at him the rest of the season.

Sometimes you take a shot on a guy and it pans out. Sometimes it doesn't. This time it didn't. Time to hit the WW again and move on.

Rotoworld:

Charles Sims - RB - Buccaneers

Charles Sims rushed 18 times for 69 yards and a touchdown in Tampa's Week 17 loss to the Saints, adding a six-yard reception.

Both the carries and yards were the most of Sims' rookie season, while the touchdown was his first. Sims spent the first eight weeks of the year stashed on injured reserve/designated to return as he recovered from a broken ankle. Once he returned, he averaged a pitiful 2.8 yards on 66 carries, but was slightly more effective as a pass catcher, notching 19 receptions across eight games. Sims will likely be tabbed for change-of-pace duties as a sophomore, but could earn a bigger role with an impressive preseason. Doug Martin's grip on between-the-tackles work is tenuous.

Dec 28 - 7:28 PM

Rotoworld:

The Bucs coaching staff is reportedly high on Charles Sims.

We heard a lot of this talk last year, but Sims only averaged 10.6 touches in his eight rookie appearances and averaged a brutal 2.80 YPC. Although the Lovie Smith regime inherited Doug Martin, they continued to use him as their primary early-down runner when healthy. There will be plenty of speculation about the Bucs cutting Martin and riding with Sims, but the more likely scenario is a thunder-and-lightning kind of timeshare. Sims was drafted to be the passing back.

Related: Doug Martin

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 5 - 10:27 AM

Rotoworld:

The Bucs coaching staff is reportedly high on Charles Sims.

We heard a lot of this talk last year, but Sims only averaged 10.6 touches in his eight rookie appearances and averaged a brutal 2.80 YPC. Although the Lovie Smith regime inherited Doug Martin, they continued to use him as their primary early-down runner when healthy. There will be plenty of speculation about the Bucs cutting Martin and riding with Sims, but the more likely scenario is a thunder-and-lightning kind of timeshare. Sims was drafted to be the passing back.

Related: Doug Martin

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 5 - 10:27 AM
No idea why they would cut Martin. In the final year of his rookie contract. Low $$$ contract, decent enough player. Depth if they don't want him to start. It's not like he can't play at all like some rookie(s) that would take his spot.

So much for all the reports from people like Caplan and others that said the Bucs loved Sims and were going to take a good look at him the rest of the season.

Sometimes you take a shot on a guy and it pans out. Sometimes it doesn't. This time it didn't. Time to hit the WW again and move on.
Not so fast! That just in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Pewter Report says the Bucs want to feature Charles Sims this season.

Pewter Report is one of the best team blogs out there. "Still think Doug Martin may not play a down in Tampa this year and may get traded prior to the season," they tweeted Monday morning in the wake of Martin's fifth-year option getting declined. It's clear the Lovie Smith regime is understandably low on the Muscle Hamster and high on their hand-picked man in Sims. But they have plenty of cap room and Sims has the look of a change-of-pace/passing-down back right now. It's a situation to track through the offseason, especially with the Bucs adding two offensive linemen in the first two rounds of the draft.

Source: Pewter Report on Twitter
May 4 - 9:42 AM

I have a tough time believing a 25 year old 2nd year RB who averaged 2.8 YPC and caught just 67% of passes is going to be handed the starting job.

He's talented but I've yet to anything impressive from him.

Just looking at the game logs for the three primary RB from 2014

Doug Martin

This is really unremarkable performance aside from two games late in the season against Carolina and the Saints. He missed game 2 and 3 early on in the season and then games 8-10 in the middle of it.

In the season opener Martin goes 9 carries for 9 yards against Carolina then misses the next two games. After he returns Martin does not get more than 15 carries until game 12 against the Bengals which was a close contest. Martin gets 18 carries 58 yards and a TD.

Martin had 20 targets in his 11 games which is 1.8 targets/game

Bobby Rainey

Rainey only missed one game over the course of the season.

Rainey filled in for Martin during game 2 and 3 when Martin was first out. He had an excellent game week 2 against the Rams and then in game 3 against the Falcons, he isn't used as much as a runner, but does catch 7 of 8 targets for 64 receiving yards, giving him 100 combined yards in this game. After this Martin comes back his performance falls off after that until week 8 where he gets 19 carries for 87 yards. game 8 is also the first week Martin missed after coming back in game four.

Rainey is used more as a receiver than Martin. He had 45 targets which is 3 targets/game

His targets in the passing game fall off after Sims returns in week 9. 31 of the 45 targets occurred while Sims was out. Rainey does get 5 targets in game 9 against the Falcons (1st week Sims is back) and 6 targets in game 11 against the Bears but seems to be behind Sims for that role after this.

Charles Sims

Due to Sims injury he does not see action until game 9 of the season. He does not get used much as a runner until the final game of the season against the Saints where he had 18 carries for 69 yards and a TD.

Sims had 27 targets during those 8 games which is 3.4 targets/game

In total there were 93 targets to RB in 2014 which was 17.8% of the total targets. Sims had the most targets/game out of the three RB

Just looking at the game logs for the three primary RB from 2014

Doug Martin

This is really unremarkable performance aside from two games late in the season against Carolina and the Saints. He missed game 2 and 3 early on in the season and then games 8-10 in the middle of it.

In the season opener Martin goes 9 carries for 9 yards against Carolina then misses the next two games. After he returns Martin does not get more than 15 carries until game 12 against the Bengals which was a close contest. Martin gets 18 carries 58 yards and a TD.

Martin had 20 targets in his 11 games which is 1.8 targets/game

Bobby Rainey

Rainey only missed one game over the course of the season.

Rainey filled in for Martin during game 2 and 3 when Martin was first out. He had an excellent game week 2 against the Rams and then in game 3 against the Falcons, he isn't used as much as a runner, but does catch 7 of 8 targets for 64 receiving yards, giving him 100 combined yards in this game. After this Martin comes back his performance falls off after that until week 8 where he gets 19 carries for 87 yards. game 8 is also the first week Martin missed after coming back in game four.

Rainey is used more as a receiver than Martin. He had 45 targets which is 3 targets/game

His targets in the passing game fall off after Sims returns in week 9. 31 of the 45 targets occurred while Sims was out. Rainey does get 5 targets in game 9 against the Falcons (1st week Sims is back) and 6 targets in game 11 against the Bears but seems to be behind Sims for that role after this.

Charles Sims

Due to Sims injury he does not see action until game 9 of the season. He does not get used much as a runner until the final game of the season against the Saints where he had 18 carries for 69 yards and a TD.

Sims had 27 targets during those 8 games which is 3.4 targets/game

In total there were 93 targets to RB in 2014 which was 17.8% of the total targets. Sims had the most targets/game out of the three RB
interestingly, martin had 19 carries for 108 yards in that game.

Users who are viewing this thread