What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jameis Winston (1 Viewer)

Quez

Footballguy
It will be interesting to see if he chooses to play baseball, football, or both. If he decides to play baseball for the first year could he come into the NFL the following year as a FA without entering the draft? Then he may be able to avoid the rookie pay limit. He could potentially play baseball for a year, and then sign as a FA the next year for a bigger contract than he would of got if he were the #1 pick.

This article below talks about the situation

http://thebiglead.com/2014/03/26/jameis-winston-pro-baseball-player-why-its-less-crazy-than-you-think/

Last edited by a moderator:
If he's smart, he plays baseball. Better $ as a ham and egger in MLB, than a flop as an NFL QB.

If he's smart, he plays baseball. Better $ as a ham and egger in MLB, than a flop as an NFL QB.
:hophead:

Barring injury, no brainer top 3 pick in 2015. Likely #1

Top 6 picks in last year's draft each got north of 8 figures in singing bonus alone.

It will be interesting to see if he chooses to play baseball, football, or both. If he decides to play baseball for the first year could he come into the NFL the following year as a FA without entering the draft? Then he may be able to avoid the rookie pay limit. He could potentially play baseball for a year, and then sign as a FA the next year for a bigger contract than he would of got if he were the #1 pick.

This article below talks about the situation

http://thebiglead.com/2014/03/26/jameis-winston-pro-baseball-player-why-its-less-crazy-than-you-think/
He wouldn't make much money as a baseball player unless he stops playing football completely. Even if he did, he'd supposedly be a late first round pick in MLB at best. The draft slot bonus for where he'd go between $1.5 and $2 million (the article references the Samardzija and Henson contracts but those were before the new CBA which caps spending on draft picks) IF he gives up football. If he doesn't he'll get peanuts, relatively speaking, until he reaches the majors, which could take a year or two or more ... or more likely, would never happen. Here's the 2010 draft; I count one guy picked between 20 and the end of the first round that'll be on a major league roster on Monday.

Unless you're a special top of the first round type talent, you cant get rich playing baseball without toiling in the minors of years, bucking the odds, making the big leagues and sticking there. Jameis Winston would have to be bat#### crazy to pass up an 8 figure guarantee for that.

He has a hell of a fastball and a great curve. Improved a lot as a pitcher this year. He was pretty so-so last season. I could see him choosing baseball but it would be pretty surprising. He supposedly legitimately loves pitching.

He has a hell of a fastball and a great curve. Improved a lot as a pitcher this year. He was pretty so-so last season. I could see him choosing baseball but it would be pretty surprising. He supposedly legitimately loves pitching.
He's a closer though, right? He'd probably have to convert if he wants to be assured of anywhere near the kind of money that might make him think twice. The only guy I can think of who was drafted early as a reliever was Drew Storen, and the Nats drafted him because they'd just taken Strasburg and knew they've have to spend $20 million to sign him. He got $1.6 million.

I love how everybody had him convicted of rape based off of newspaper accounts.

I'm not saying he did or didn't do it, it's just interesting to see.

TPD mishandled the case, but it was pretty obvious Jameis didn't rape the girl.
Not to me it's not. It was obvious 11 months after the incident that all the evidence that would have mattered was gone or buried so they couldn't pursue him at that point. But, had they done what they should have at the time of the incident, I don't think it would have been "obvious" he was innocent. That article raises a whole lot of questions towards his supposed innocence.

Last edited by a moderator:
He must be doing stuff now to see what he can get away with. How many people in the grocery store at the same time as him would have paid for his dinner? All of them?

I would've bought the guy a month's worth of crab legs.

@JeffDarlington: Crab legs are literally one of the only products at Publix housed behind a glass case inaccessible to customers. Bold move, Sir Winston!

I still can't get pass stealing soda in a ketchup cup. I'd pass on drafting him just for that dumb s***.

@TomahawkNation: We made contact with Jameis to talk to him about this. In a post-Miranda interview, he cooperated, and he acknowledged leaving publix (1/2)

@TomahawkNation: (2/2) Without paying. He said he forgot, realized when he got home, but had made no effort to return and pay before deputies arrived.

@dtackett_: LCSO says Winston was extremely cooperative. Admitted that he forgot to pay for them.

:sleep:

Users who are viewing this thread