What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (1 Viewer)

What carries more weight, grit (even impure), or slapping the ball down to the turf like it has herpes?
Did you see that from him in college, or his first season?

It was a bad season for drops. It was a season, where he admitted he tried to do too much. New rookie QB w a ton of hype, he tried too hard to make every play spectacular. 

You won't see that this season

The article from last page addressed drops (including a chart if you click on the link)

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/fantasy-football-draft-day-dilemmas-is-mike-evans-the-best-of-the-third-year-breakouts/

"As for the drops, I just don't think they are indicative of much. SportingCharts.com had Evans with 11 drops in 2015 to lead the NFL, after just four the previous year. His drop rate rose from 3.3 percent as a rookie to 7.4 percent last season. However, there just doesn't seem to be much consistency in that from year to year, as the following scatter plot shows:"

"This chart shows the 85 players who had at least 50 targets in both 2014 and 2015, with their drop rates from each year compared to one another; drop rate in 2014 didn't correlate to drop rate in 2015 in a particularly strong way.

That isn't proof that some players aren't drop prone, or that some aren't particularly good at avoiding drops. Catching the ball is a skill, and one that some players are better at than others. However, it just isn't clear that Evans' issues in 2015 will carry over to 2016, especially when it wasn't an issue in 2014."

Of course, another way to look at it (though small sample group), would be to see how WRs who led the league in drops fared the following season?

Also, thought it was in another article, or maybe saw it upthread somewhere (?), but I think he had like 6 drops, or about half of his entire season, in ONE GAME, if not for which, his drop average would have been below the 4% range, and we might not even be having this conversation? I'm not a fan of subtracting plays that happened (for instance, RB X, if not for 8 freak 99 yard runs, would actually have had a poor yard per carry average :) ), just pointing out that if not for one game, his drop rate would have become significantly more normalized.

And as pointed out, if he demonstrated good hands his two seasons in Texas A&M and his historically good rookie season (12 TDs), that makes his soph year in TB look like the aberration.   

Only Randy Moss and Josh Gordon accrued more yards by age 23 than Evans.  

Mike has the potential to be the number one fantasy wideout this season.  Just like 10 other guys do.  

I'm predicting 100 catches, 1500 yards, 16 touchdowns.  

I personally think the drops got in his head.  He had the yips.  Hopefully he's mentally tough enough to move past it.  I watch all of the games and he cost his team wins.  That's why they stand out to me so much.  I'm sure his fantasy statistics will be fine as long as he remains Jameis' top option.  If they drops continue, however, he will lose Jameis' trust and his numbers along with it.

Mike Evans admits he lost focus at times during the 2015 season.
Evans ranked second in the NFL in drops. He attributes them to a lack of focus. "I wasn’t focused in some games," admitted Evans. "I have to practice more. I have to get better in practice with it. It just comes with repetition." Even with all the drops, Evans finished 11th in the league with 1,206 receiving yards and 14th in yards per catch (16.3). If Evans can eliminate mental lapses, he should finish the year as a top-10 wide receiver.

Source: Pewter Report 
Jul 8 - 2:35 PM

I still like him more than Watkins.  The only young (under 24) players I have over him are Beckham and Hopkins.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Early camp observations indicate he Jamies to Evans combination will be attempting more deep passes this year.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/jameis-winston-to-mike-evans-connection-looking-stronger/2287428

Jameis Winston to Mike Evans connection looking stronger

TAMPA — A year ago, QB Jameis Winston and WR Mike Evans were learning a new playbook together, but they weren't always on the same page.

Improving that passing combination has been a priority during the offseason and on Friday it began to pay off as Winston hit Evans on a couple of deep balls.

"Better than (Thursday)," coach Dirk Koetter said. "Part of that is luck of the draw on what coverage they draw, but Mike got a lot of balls thrown his way today. You could really see Mike going out of his way to look it in. I think he probably read all you guys' reports, how he dropped that first ball in warmups yesterday, and he probably had some choice words for y'all because you're going to be watching every single drop he has. But keep watching, keep watching, he's got a lot of balls thrown at him every day."

Evans led the league among receivers with 12 dropped passes last season but still finished with career highs in catches (74) and receiving yards (1,206). But his touchdown receptions fell from 12 as a rookie to three last season.

Super excited for this partnership. 

In 3-4yrs when Evans is "full matured" physically, I dont know if anyone will be able to stop him, physically.. A la megatron. 

Love that the deep ball is gonna be featured more, didnt see enough of it last season

Super excited for this partnership. 

In 3-4yrs when Evans is "full matured" physically, I dont know if anyone will be able to stop him, physically.. A la megatron. 

Love that the deep ball is gonna be featured more, didnt see enough of it last season
I read that Winston was throwing deep conservatively as a rookie, trying to hit a spot, and maybe didn't always lead Evans enough. I think it was noted that once he begins to trust his ability to let it rip more and just let Evans run underneath it, that could soon be a lethal battery that will be very hard to stop.   

I personally think the drops got in his head.  He had the yips.  Hopefully he's mentally tough enough to move past it.  I watch all of the games and he cost his team wins.  That's why they stand out to me so much.  I'm sure his fantasy statistics will be fine as long as he remains Jameis' top option.  If they drops continue, however, he will lose Jameis' trust and his numbers along with it.
He absolutely had the yips last year which were magnified as they were at the most crucial of times and led to a few losses.

Winston is has a year under his belt.  Winston in much better shape.  Another off-season of practice and film.

I expect a monster 2016 for Big Mike and would not be surprised to see him finish as a top 3 WR.

Mike Evans told Sirius XM NFL he lost 10-15 pounds this offseason.
"I played heavier my first two years, around 235, 240, and now I’m between 220 and 225," said Evans. "That’s helped me run more, longer and faster." Evans certainly seems more committed after looking sluggish at times in 2015. The third-year wideout should improve on the 1,206 yards he tallied as a sophomore last year. Evans is a strong bounce-back candidate and a safe bet to return WR1 value.

Source: JoeBucsFan.com 
Aug 14 - 10:27 AM

When I read in several outlets that he and Winston spent offseason time working together, thats all I needed to hear.

Those are the types of tidbits that I try and capitalize on each year, and this one will be no different.
Right, because no QB/WR combo have ever spent the offseason working together before.  :rolleyes:

For the record, I'm very high on Evans, but that's like the No. 2 preseason cliche, ahead of "He has a new focus this year" and "He showed up for camp having lost 10 lbs/added 10 lbs of muscle". I put about as much stock in that as I do in, well, SOS.

Right, because no QB/WR combo have ever spent the offseason working together before.  :rolleyes:

For the record, I'm very high on Evans, but that's like the No. 2 preseason cliche, ahead of "He has a new focus this year" and "He showed up for camp having lost 10 lbs/added 10 lbs of muscle". I put about as much stock in that as I do in, well, SOS.
No.  The absolute worst camp cliche is "he is turning heads".  That line appears in 9/10 rotoworld blips.  At this rate, there should be thousands of headless football fans who attended training camp.  Or at least a countrywide increase in neck aches.  

No.  The absolute worst camp cliche is "he is turning heads".  That line appears in 9/10 rotoworld blips.  At this rate, there should be thousands of headless football fans who attended training camp.  Or at least a countrywide increase in neck aches.  
Fair point. But I really like the weight one because it's always spun as positive no matter which direction. You never hear, "He lost 10 lbs and looks like he just escaped from a concentration camp." Karlos Williams' only mistake was admitting his weight gain was due to becoming a dad. He should have just said "... of muscle" and no one would have batted an eye.

Jameis Winston and Mike Evans absolutely crush the Browns

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/tampa-bay-bucs-jameis-winston-mike-evans-cleveland-browns-082616

Winston completed 16 of 25 passes for 259 yards and two TDs, including five throws to Evans for 115 yards and a 34-yard TD. (edit/add - I assume this was in a half of work or less?).

Jameis Winston & Mike Evans Connect for 49 Yds, then a 34-Yd TD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21APw_zNNM4
The Bucs had some nice downfield passes but they seemed to take a long time to develop.  The Browns had ZERO pass rush and Winston had plenty of time.  Not so sure how that offense is going to perform when Winston is under real pressure.  

I will say this for Winston, he stands strong in the pocket; no hint of fear.

The Bucs had some nice downfield passes but they seemed to take a long time to develop.  The Browns had ZERO pass rush and Winston had plenty of time.  Not so sure how that offense is going to perform when Winston is under real pressure.  

I will say this for Winston, he stands strong in the pocket; no hint of fear.
How is their OL looking (including the 2015 second rounders, Smith and Marpet). In your opinion, was the reason for the lack of pass rush the effectiveness of the OL, ineffectiveness of CLE (or a combo)?  

The top three WR were extremely expensive in my $200 auction ($73, $57, $57) so I grabbed Evans without reading this thread or researching him this off season. Man, I think I really lucked out on this one. 

I love Mike Evans and think he can expand that top 6 WR group in the 1st round to 7 this year. 

-Julio Jones

-ODB

-Dez

-There's no reason he cannot enter into this tier of top notch WRs. Evans has the physical tools to dominate at his position and he still is learning which is scary MO.

I was sure I was going to get him at 2.3 this morning on a MFL100 league...but after that big game he shot up everyone's radar. He went 2.1 (ahead of Dez, Miller, Cooper, Allen) 

Die hard Bucs fan here so take it for what it's worth, but I love Evans this year and am trying to get him in pretty much all of my leagues. Like others have said, he's a physical freak and has the talent to be a top 5 WR in the NFL.

Last year was an off year for Mike as he had some bad drops and him and Jameis could not connect on the deep ball. Evans was pretty consistently burning CB's though and there were a lot of big plays left on the field.

Through camp and pre-season, it looks like him and Jameis have much better chemistry this year. Evans lost 20 pounds over the off-season which has made him a little quicker, he seems more focused and I believe he hasn't had a drop all pre-season. In the game on Friday, Jameis dropped a dime right into the bread basket of Evans which went for about 40 yards and if he had not lost his balance would have been a 80 yard TD. Even with him missing out on those extra yards and TD, he had 5 catches for 115 yards and a TD in a half of work (granted, it was against the Browns).

The opportunity is there too. After V-Jax (who is declining and seems to be an injury waiting to happen) and Adam Humphries (decent slot guy), our WR depth is pathetic. No TE is stepping up either so I think Evans is going to get a ton of targets again this year.

I don't think people realize that Evans just turned 23 a few days ago, and is still learning the game (started playing football in senior year in HS). As I said I am a big Bucs fan so take it for what it's worth but Evans is really the only Buc I'd want in fantasy this year (maybe Jameis as a QB2 but not as a starter). I really think he's in for a monster season.

• Smile
Reactions: Jed
Only Randy Moss and Josh Gordon accrued more yards by age 23 than Evans.  

Mike has the potential to be the number one fantasy wideout this season.  Just like 10 other guys do.  

I'm predicting 100 catches, 1500 yards, 16 touchdowns.  
We could discuss points leading to an invariable increase in TD's if not yds..   But this is an awesome stat to say the least.

Whats kinda amazing in some respects based on assumed expectations..  Moss had 1233 yds on 154 targets at age 24.

Basically, Im thinking there wont be no comparisons soon   (just something to chew on)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EvanMi00.htm

Was a bit worried about him at half time, couldn't watch the game and didn't enjoy 1 catch for 4 yards but they sure picked up second half. Nice statline in the end, would have liked to see him more involved throughout the game but churlish to complain about 5/99/1

I believe PP shadowed the WR1 around 80% of the time. If the team doesn't have an obvious WR1, he chills on the left side of the field. In a start 3WR league I'm heavily debating sitting Evans for Sanders who has a plus match-up. 

Looking at logs from last year, PP shadowed AJ Green for most of that game but not all. When Green was on a different CB they went after him and scored

Users who are viewing this thread