What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (1 Viewer)

If Jameis hopes on remaining rostered, and winning games, he better look this guy's way steadily.

He used to tend not to... Which is likely part of why he's in this mess to start with

i'm in two espn leagues... one gives points for recovered fumble td's... the other doesnt. Probably a league setting issue if you arent getting credit

Panthers shut him down last time they played. Thoughts on this week?

Our playoffs begin this week and I'm the underdog. Can't really afford a 3 point week...
Don't bench your studs...unless it's for another stud. I am not sitting him unless he's not playing

Last edited by a moderator:
Panthers shut him down last time they played. Thoughts on this week?

Our playoffs begin this week and I'm the underdog. Can't really afford a 3 point week...
i rather go down with my stud rather than lose because i benched him and got cute with someone like adam humphreys.

Panther CBs had a good run there but one is now hurt and they are coming off a game where they gave up 2 100 yard and TD games at home against Seattle after giving up a big game to Golliday after they gave up 2 90 yard plus TD games to the steelers

I reviewed each of evans' games this season looking to see how he faired against other elite defenses. Ravens D gives up 2nd least points to fantasy WR's in my scoring format. 

Evans has only had one game this season against a top 10 fantasy WR defense... it was the giants game (they are ranked 8th in least points to fantasy wrs in my scoring). Evans had a huge game 6-120-1, though it should be noted that more than half of those points were obtained through a long TD in garbage time

almost the entire season evans has gone up against teams ranked 20th or higher (generous fantasy WR defenses).

i have very low expectations for this game.

I reviewed each of evans' games this season looking to see how he faired against other elite defenses. Ravens D gives up 2nd least points to fantasy WR's in my scoring format. 

Evans has only had one game this season against a top 10 fantasy WR defense... it was the giants game (they are ranked 8th in least points to fantasy wrs in my scoring). Evans had a huge game 6-120-1, though it should be noted that more than half of those points were obtained through a long TD in garbage time

almost the entire season evans has gone up against teams ranked 20th or higher (generous fantasy WR defenses).

i have very low expectations for this game.
Yeah, I'm terrified of starting him. Been considering Allen Robinson at home vs GB instead.

Yeah, I'm terrified of starting him. Been considering Allen Robinson at home vs GB instead.
I wouldn't go that far. What has Robinson done other than 1 game against the Lions a month ago?

I'm not saying Evans will be great by any means, but I think he's the Bucs best means of offense. The Ravens will match Jimmy Smith on him, and Smith has been their worst CB this season. Its also possible the Ravens come out super flat after last week's tough loss. I'd still have Evans as a top-20 WR for sure.

I have him, I don’t have much of a choice here, I doubt many have so many options that they can outright bench him. It’s him or Alshon for me.

Starting with low expectations.

I started him last week after waffling a lot, this week I’m really debating benching him. 

If it wasn’t for one long bomb, would’ve been another pedestrian game for the guy. 

Debating Alshon Jeffrey and Sony Michel. PPR league and I need 2 out of the 3 in my lineup.

Mike Evans (leg) will not play in the Bucs' third preseason game.

Evans has been sidelined all week with what reporters believe is a quad issue. It's obviously nothing major and something that won't affect his Week 1 availability. But since this is the third preseason game, typically dubbed the "regular season dress rehearsal," we figured it's worth noting since we're unlikely to blurb Evans again before the opener, assuming he doesn't play in the fourth exhibition. Evans played 20 snaps this preseason but didn't catch a pass on one target. Chris Godwin has been the hype darling all summer, but Evans is still in a phenomenal spot as a shoo-in WR1. Niners-Bucs should be spicy for fantasy stats Week 1.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:15 PM ET

Mike Evans (leg) returned to practice on Monday.

Evans was held out of last week's preseason game with a leg injury, though it's likely the Bucs were just erring on the side of caution. There was never any concern over his Week 1 status. Coming off arguably his best season (86-1,524-8 receiving line on 139 targets), Evans should be poised for another monster year in 2019. Quietly on a Hall of Fame trajectory, Evans is one of just three receivers in league history—the others being Randy Moss and A.J. Green—to clear 1,000 yards in each of his first five seasons.

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Aug 26, 2019, 11:34 AM ET

MIKE EVANSWR, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Mike Evans (illness) didn't practice on Friday.

A stomach bug has been making its way around the Buccaneers locker room and apparently Evans has caught it. Coming down with an illness this close to game day is never ideal, though the expectation is that Evans will be fine for Sunday's opener against the Niners. A marvel of durability, Evans has missed a combined three games in five NFL seasons. He'll be a no-brainer WR1 in a game that has shootout written all over it.

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Sep 6, 2019, 12:15 PM ET
shameless bump

Mike Evans (questionable, illness) will play Week 1 against the 49ers.

He missed Friday's practice due to a stomach bug, but was always expected to play. Teammate Devin White, who has also been under the weather, will play as well. This is a smash spot for Evans in a game with a 50.5 Vegas total (we'd take the over). Rankings guru Patrick Daugherty has him slotted as his No. 8 receiver for Week 1.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 8, 2019, 8:08 AM ET

Are Mike Evans owners concerned about him going forward? I know it was only week one, but I assume anyone who owns him spent a high pick on him.

Jameis looked awful and no one in the Bucs offense looked that good (other than Goodwin). 

Are people considering benching him Thursday night against Carolina? 

I saw reports he took himself out a few times related to that lingering illness.

Good or bad, Winston is the same as last year, so Mike should be solid enough when it all plays out.

Are Mike Evans owners concerned about him going forward? I know it was only week one, but I assume anyone who owns him spent a high pick on him.

Jameis looked awful and no one in the Bucs offense looked that good (other than Goodwin). 

no.

He was sick and he had Sherman on him most of the day.  I think he'll be fine.

He is a great WR but the team limits him.  I'll flex him this week but he's on a short leash.  Lots of young talent to give a shot to.

Sutton and Golladay foaming at the mouth

The situation is really no different than every other season.  Jameis has been there for years.  The team has looked awful for years. 

No particular reason to think those factors will cap him now when they haven't to this point.

The situation is really no different than every other season.  Jameis has been there for years.  The team has looked awful for years. 

No particular reason to think those factors will cap him now when they haven't to this point.
The floor seems so low especially this week.

New offense, Jameis is Jameis, poor stats against Carolina in previous 10 games, on the road, etc.

He is a candidate for the hook.  Is he a candidate for the quick hook if you have rising players?   "It's only one game" gets out of hand quickly.

In my case I'm looking at players like Sutton and Golladay and DJ Moore as the new guys.

Moore gets the nod.  Targets, opportunity, opponent etc.  Everything lines up for him.

Sutton no - looks good but too hard of a matchup and J Flacco no thanks just yet.

Golladay is interesting.  Rising second year player with a better QB and a balanced passing attack so he won't get the constant double team.

One strategy is to look the other way and assume he gets 11-1200 and 7-8 TD for the year and start every week.  Or can I get the better numbers managing a few new guys and hitting a few jackpots.

Short week against Carolina. Lingering quad injury, was deathly sick on Sunday, is that recovered? Could still be getting tired out easy but Sutton has the Bears, Golladay has a tough corner on him in Hayward. If I had DJ Moore I'd be starting him over all of them but between all the others it's flip a coin and will just hold my nose and stand pat with Evans. It's not going to be pretty but better weeks to come for sure.

The floor seems so low especially this week.

New offense, Jameis is Jameis, poor stats against Carolina in previous 10 games, on the road, etc.

He is a candidate for the hook.  Is he a candidate for the quick hook if you have rising players?   "It's only one game" gets out of hand quickly.

In my case I'm looking at players like Sutton and Golladay and DJ Moore as the new guys.

Moore gets the nod.  Targets, opportunity, opponent etc.  Everything lines up for him.

Sutton no - looks good but too hard of a matchup and J Flacco no thanks just yet.

Golladay is interesting.  Rising second year player with a better QB and a balanced passing attack so he won't get the constant double team.

One strategy is to look the other way and assume he gets 11-1200 and 7-8 TD for the year and start every week.  Or can I get the better numbers managing a few new guys and hitting a few jackpots.
Just FYI. This is his third year.

kutta said:
Just FYI. This is his third year.
Thank you for the correction.  I hope he can improve and demand more looks .  Jones is no slouch and the new TE looks like a player.

Back to Evans.  Tonight’s game was pretty clear.  Godwin has better bounce and the limit is Jameis and the OL.  Jameis can make some good throws without pressure but the fluid timing is just not there.  

With that Evans goes in the pile of good WR’s but not a must start.  I’m no expert but that should have been obvious.

I'm buying Evans cheap, if he is available.

Week 1 he was still sick and taking himself in and out of the game.

Tonight (week 2) he had 8 targets, and AT LEAST 2  were utterly uncatchable.   He did have one end zone target that bounced off his right hand.  It was a tough catch, and it would have been a "big play" had he made it, but he has made those type catches before.

Jameis was also looking to him on at least one other target that was near the stripe.

Usually takes the Arians system a week or two to get flowing smoothly, so I anticipate some big games coming.    (Well, if you can take a leap of faith and say  anything with Jameis at the helm could go "smoothly") But we knew that already.

I'm not worried on Evans just yet.  His schedule opens up and gets easier later in the season too.

TZM

Mike Evans caught 4-of-8 targets for 61 yards in the Bucs' Week 2 win over the Panthers.

Evans now has just six catches for 89 yards through the Bucs' first two contests. He could have had a 21-yard touchdown in the first quarter but could only get one hand on an off-target Jameis Winston pass. Evans was out-targeted 9-8 by Chris Godwin. Evans' slow start has alibis. He was sick in Week 1 and also got locked up by the Panthers in 2018. The breakout is coming. Week 3 against the Giants' Janoris Jenkins-keyed secondary will be as good of a chance as any.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:44 AM ET

He is a buy low candidate.  If you own him already though ......?
Not really sure who you would sit him for, but thats a roster issue obviously. Is that what you are asking? 

Nobody likes 2-3 weeks of low numbers, but its part of our game. Now, if he is rough after weeks 5-6, then I'm much more concerned, but even then his schedule gets much better after their bye.

The better games are coming.  He was literally one TD catch away from a decent night tonight, and he did have 2-3 opportunities in and around the goal line.

Jameis was just doing Jameis things.  It was an ugly game all around.

TZM

Haha, loved it a few years ago when everyone was whining about him and I was able to buy low in dynasty, been great ever since and couldn't have been that bad that year as he has never not had 1,000yds.

He'll be fine this year. Already buying in redraft where I can if the owner will allow a fair price.

Evans was double covered all game AND they rolled the zone towards him.  Godwin should have had a bigger game, but the Bucs took advantage enough.  That should open the field up for Evans as the season rolls along.  As long as Godwin continues to take pressure off the coverage, Evans should be fine. 

I sold Evans this week with Carson and Waller for Kamara. Overpaid, but Kamara is a safe stud to plug in and never worry about. I would buy him back at a decent price though. I wouldn't sell him at all costs. Playing on a short week after battling the flu, I thought he played well. Jameis has to get him the ball, but Evans doesn't have a history of production against James Bradberry. 

If you're selling, considering waiting til they play the Giants week 3 and hope for a big game. 

I sold Evans this week with Carson and Waller for Kamara. Overpaid, but Kamara is a safe stud to plug in and never worry about. I would buy him back at a decent price though. I wouldn't sell him at all costs. Playing on a short week after battling the flu, I thought he played well. Jameis has to get him the ball, but Evans doesn't have a history of production against James Bradberry. 

If you're selling, considering waiting til they play the Giants week 3 and hope for a big game. 
If that isn't superflex then you did not come close to overpaying.  You actually ripped him off. 

He is having a somewhat similar run like Eric Moulds the standout Buffalo Bills WR who typically had a strong year then an off year...Evans 1st, 3rd, and 5th years in the NFL were all higher than expected including 12 TDs in years 1 and 3 plus 8 in yr 5. Year two he fell to 3 TDs then bounced up to 12 then fell to 5 year after and then he set a TB record for yds with over 1,500 so this year he will slide back some...

None of that black magic really means much but the reality is Godwin will see a lot of targets but the good news is this Duo has a chance to be the very best. Give me Evans if you don't want him because he can go off for 150 yds and 2 TDs on any given week. 

Buy Low Buy Low Buy Low

He could have had a 21-yard touchdown in the first quarter but could only get one hand on an off-target Jameis Winston pass.
Saw this play and it should have been a TD.  Not one person would be complaining about him if he put up 5/82/1.

Users who are viewing this thread