What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Evans, TB (1 Viewer)

True. Wonder how many Evans owners would trade for Godwin straight up if they could. 
I only own Evans in a dynasty and I wouldn’t do that deal there, maybe in redraft I’d consider it but would ultimately stick with Evans. It only takes a few plays to get him back on track. Godwin should continue to do well though, he’s not coming out of nowhere.

I hate it when my number one turns into a number two.
This is pretty much what I meant.  I try to always have a #1 WR that always starts and then get as many 2/3 guys as I can get  (Golladay, Watkins, DJ Moore, Alshon) thinking that 1-2 of them will jump up a tier.  So looks like Watkins might move up a tier, DJ Moore performing as expected and Golladay with potential.  Alshon is bye/injury/trade bait. 

With Evans I think Jameis's ceiling and Godwins upward move might overly hinder his #'s.  Game 1 gets the sick day pass - game 2.....meh - but do I go to the well again in week 3?

This is pretty much what I meant.  I try to always have a #1 WR that always starts and then get as many 2/3 guys as I can get  (Golladay, Watkins, DJ Moore, Alshon) thinking that 1-2 of them will jump up a tier.  So looks like Watkins might move up a tier, DJ Moore performing as expected and Golladay with potential.  Alshon is bye/injury/trade bait. 

With Evans I think Jameis's ceiling and Godwins upward move might overly hinder his #'s.  Game 1 gets the sick day pass - game 2.....meh - but do I go to the well again in week 3?
I meant it to be a childish potty joke....but yeah...there may be some truth to it.

My best dynasty team is one where I had the luxury to bench Evans this week. Starting Waller instead (1.5 PPR for TEs), but could also start D Williams or A Jones.  I have Juju, Julio, and Adams at WR/WR/flex. 

Everywhere else he is an autostart. I turned down an offer today in a superflex dynasty where I have Mahomes, of my Evans and a couple small pieces for Watkins, Barber and a 2020 2nd. I've countered with Evans for Watkins and a 1st but am waiting to hear back on it. Watkins injury history scares the #### out of me but everyone says he is finally healthy for real and he and Evans are two months apart in age. One has a better QB than the other.

My best dynasty team is one where I had the luxury to bench Evans this week.   I have Juju, Julio, and Adams at WR/WR/flex. 
Well done brother.  :football:     I'd actually like to see this squad, and how many seasons it took you to build that one.

And I wouldn't be moving Evans for Watkins +.    (although I'm assuming you are looking to get an early pick. You can afford to "give" Evans up in this instance, looking to get an early pick and perhaps improve your roster strength at other positions.)

I mentioned it earlier, but how can anyone want to move this guy (in redraft) at this point?  Its like they looked at nothing but boxscores so far this season and paid no attention to his health in Week 1, and his targets/possibilities in Week 2.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
TZMarkie said:
Well done brother.  :football:     I'd actually like to see this squad, and how many seasons it took you to build that one.

And I wouldn't be moving Evans for Watkins +.    (although I'm assuming you are looking to get an early pick. You can afford to "give" Evans up in this instance, looking to get an early pick and perhaps improve your roster strength at other positions

TZM
The offer I was talking about is in a different league than my best squad from above. I don't know that I can afford to move Evans in the one with the offer. In that one I have Juju and Sutton to go with Evans. And JJAW sitting in the wings. Not much else.

Yeah that good squad actually came together rather quickly over the course of the 2018 season and the previous offseason. A couple very good/lucky trades and waiver picks. I remember lamenting to a fellow league member that this team was by far the worst of all my dynasty squads. And it was. But somehow I turned it around. Can't say it's because I'm such a great owner. Mostly luck and opportunity. 

I sold Fournette, Golladay and Funchess for Julio, Josh Gordon and Crowell. My best deal was Luck, Hilton and Moncrief (when he was a Colt and still had believers) for a couple medium to big pieces (I forget now), but during the negotiations when we were close to a deal I added Juju to his side as a throw in afterthought. This was his rookie preseason. Good decision. 

Let's see I also moved 2.08 (2018) for A Jones. I moved A Miller for a 2019 1st that I recently flipped for a 2020 1st and should be early. I picked up Boyd off waivers and flipped for a 2020 1st, I picked up Lindsay, Woods, Damien Williams and Kittle off waivers at various points. I later moved Woods, Lindsay and 1.08 for Evans and 2.04. I gave P Richardson and the Rams defense for the Seahawks defense and Carson. Loved that one.

Gave Stafford, Marvin Jones and Martavis Bryant for Rodgers and a 2nd. 

I also sold Ebron for garbage and then bought him back for more. I can point to a handful of other deals that I did not do so well on. But overall I came out way ahead. 

Anyway I am sure that is more than you needed.

TLDR version is I am stacked and can afford to bench Evans this week. Wasn't my plan though. Overall main portion of roster is Rodgers, Mack, Ingram, A Jones, D Williams, Juju, Julio, Adams, Evans, Kittle, Ebron, Waller. It is TE premium FFPC style.

It’s quite possible the Bucs have seen 2 decent defensive units, 49ers pass rush and Panthers CBs who limited the Rams WRs week 1

while Evans was also sick, anyone know what he was suffering from week 1?

i was happy enough seeing the targets he got on Thursday night that I’m not worried about future production this season

Mike Evans caught 8-of-15 targets for 190 yards and three scores in Tampa Bay's Week 3 loss to the Giants.

Evans' 15 targets were far and away a team-high mark as Jameis Winston peppered his No. 1 wideout downfield (244 air yards) for two 20-yard touchdowns and another inside the 5. Evans' monster 44-yard catch in the game's final seconds nearly overshadowed rookie Daniel Jones' four-score first start, but Bucs coach Bruce Arians comically took a delay of game before the final field goal attempt because he "thought Matt Gay was better from a long distance." Any thoughts of Evans' production fading behind Chris Godwin (3/40) were clearly exaggerated and overblown. Evans will again be a clear-cut WR1 against the Rams next week.

Sep 22, 2019, 7:44 PM ET

Really?.  3 tds and 180 yds.. The guy was wide open all day.  Will not happen again this season.. 
Sure, he will likely never have a better game in his career. Amari Cooper in week 14 was the only WR last season to have a standard scoring week higher than Mike posted Sunday. 9/190/3 games come a long very  rarely. He likely has plenty of 5/100/1, 8/150/0 and 3/60/1 type games left in him. 

Mike Evans caught 4-of-7 targets for 89 yards and one touchdown in the Bucs' Week 4 win over the Rams.

Evans was having a quiet day after his Week 3 explosion while Chris Godwin was getting fed en route to a 12-172-2 afternoon. But then Mike Evans badly burned CB Marcus Peters for a 67-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. Evans is going to have monster weeks; we just have to roll with the punches. He'll do battle against 2019 to-date burn victim CB Marshon Lattimore next week.

Sep 29, 2019, 8:19 PM ET

Fantasy football stats to know from Week 4

2. Through four weeks, Chris Godwin ranks third among all wide receivers in fantasy points scored (88.6), while Mike Evans ranks fourth (78.8).

It’s probably unrealistic to expect both receivers to finish top-five this year, but it’s been done before — six times in the modern era, most recently by Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders in 2014. And, with O.J. Howard serving in a demoted role (3.0 targets per game), it’s certainly possible both players finish as WR1s (a feat accomplished by Pittsburgh and Minnesota last year). Though both Evans and Godwin have been nearly equally phenomenal this year, as I argued this offseason, don’t be surprised if Godwin finishes the year with more fantasy points than Evans.

@thehoch

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1179086298721730561?s=09

Evan Silva (@evansilva) tweeted at 0:30 PM on Tue, Oct 01, 2019:
#Bucs WR Mike Evans’ first two games were wrecked by a debilitating stomach
Illness.

Over the last 2 weeks, he’s drawn 89 more Air Yards than any other NFL player.

Through 4 weeks, Evans is on pace for 140 targets, which would be his most since 2016.
Never said he isn't a good player. Fact is he still suited up, so he was good to go. I think stats in fantasy can be misleading. You need consistency from week to week to help you win.

Sure a player like Evans can have a 2 TD day with over 100 yards.....but then he has a few clunkers. When I drafted him he killed me......I think he had only a few games over 100 yards.

Also the debate was taking Evans early or waiting to get his WR partner Godwin. I said I'd prefer to get Godwin. So far? Looks like I was also right. But hey.......draft Evans in the second round and see how it works out for you, don't let me stop you.

hmmm

For the record, I dont own Evans at all. You were quick to crow about Evans' first 2 weeks, pat yourself on the back, say how right you were...
I think he is over-rated, still do. He is good, no doubt. He did have two bad weeks, so if you drafted him early, you could easily have two losses in four games because of him. So? Not sure what you are saying. Let's revisit this thread after week 10-12 and see how many good games Evans has and compare him to Godwin's stats, which was my main point. When I said he was a bust, that might have been too much emotion because I was burned by him, but still I stay away from Evans when I draft unless he fell to me in the third round.

I think he is over-rated, still do. He is good, no doubt. He did have two bad weeks, so if you drafted him early, you could easily have two losses in four games because of him. So? Not sure what you are saying. Let's revisit this thread after week 10-12 and see how many good games Evans has and compare him to Godwin's stats, which was my main point. When I said he was a bust, that might have been too much emotion because I was burned by him, but still I stay away from Evans when I draft unless he fell to me in the third round.
Why would we need to revisit this thread after week 10-12?  Evans has been in the NFL since 2014.  We know what he is. 

He's TD dependent like all WRs are, but a virtual lock for 1000+ yards.  If he pulls in 8+ TDs, he'll finish as a WR1.  If he's in the 4-6 range, he'll be a WR2.  Seeing as he's at 4 already, he's definitely on the road to WR1 this year.

Sorry you owned him in one of his 4-6 seasons.

I think this opinion on Evans is not fact based.

You can count on one hand the number of players to begin their first 5 years getting 1K in each one and already on pace for that in his 6th

He is on a HoF trajectory and you say he is overrated? Sorry, but you are just providing a very very bad take. 

I think this opinion on Evans is not fact based.

You can count on one hand the number of players to begin their first 5 years getting 1K in each one and already on pace for that in his 6th

He is on a HoF trajectory and you say he is overrated? Sorry, but you are just providing a very very bad take. 
I believe I drafted him two years ago, he sucked ballz. Week after week I kept waiting for a big game. Now that might not be all on him....maybe he had a down year, but I think the guy is over-rated......doesn't mean he's not good......good lord he's physically gifted, no doubt. But he relies on his physicality over his ability to be a disciplined receiver, meaning running routes, breaks, hands, etc.

Not a bad take, once again, you're free to draft him in the second round, I won't. I was going to say I'll be taking Godwin in the 3-4th but now that cat is out of the bag.....amazing how much of a better receiver he is than Mike......but once again, that's my opinion.

I believe I drafted him two years ago, he sucked ballz. Week after week I kept waiting for a big game. Now that might not be all on him....maybe he had a down year, but I think the guy is over-rated......doesn't mean he's not good......good lord he's physically gifted, no doubt. But he relies on his physicality over his ability to be a disciplined receiver, meaning running routes, breaks, hands, etc.

Not a bad take, once again, you're free to draft him in the second round, I won't. I was going to say I'll be taking Godwin in the 3-4th but now that cat is out of the bag.....amazing how much of a better receiver he is than Mike......but once again, that's my opinion.
71/1001/5 is a down year? I'll take 200 points in a down year at WR18 overall and a WR2 that year with about 200 points. So thats sucking balls to you? His worst season ever put him at WR2?

Still, calling a guy on a HoF trajectory over rated is just factually wrong to everyone here. If he had one good season but 5 of WR2 or better? and he is over rated? 

He is also on pace to break his ypr record on an already HoF trajectory path. I bring receipts and stats/facts, you brought nothing but "Meh, I think two years ago I owned him and he sucked." I get its your opinion but this is my opinion on your opinion. 

Last edited by a moderator:

:lmao:

Enough.  We get it.  You don't like Evans.  

I owned Evans during his "down year".  Sure, he didn't meet my expectations.  But I don't hold a grudge over it.  That's lame.  In fact, I drafted him this year in one of my leagues.  Sure he got off to slow start, but I expect him to have a solid year, even with Godwin there.  It looks like OJ Howard is going to be the bust, so there's plenty for Evans and Godwin.

Godwin is a good receiver.  We see that.  But I can assure you, a lot of Godwin's success is due to Evans being on the field, rolling coverage to his side, and taking the #1 corner with him.

:lmao:

Enough.  We get it.  You don't like Evans.  

I owned Evans during his "down year".  Sure, he didn't meet my expectations.  But I don't hold a grudge over it.  That's lame.  In fact, I drafted him this year in one of my leagues.  Sure he got off to slow start, but I expect him to have a solid year, even with Godwin there.  It looks like OJ Howard is going to be the bust, so there's plenty for Evans and Godwin.

Godwin is a good receiver.  We see that.  But I can assure you, a lot of Godwin's success is due to Evans being on the field, rolling coverage to his side, and taking the #1 corner with him.
You do realize that I simply posted my opinion awhile ago and I only keep responding when peeps like you figure out how to use the emoji function.

Once again, this is being taken out of context. Me....personally, I don't like drafting Evans in the 2nd round. Not that I wouldn't in a later round if he fell. He is too inconsistent for my taste. Is he good? Yes. Would I rather wait and get Godwin? Yes. So far this season he has hurt owners more than helped. Let's see where his season leads by Week 10-12. That's all I got. :lmao:

You do realize that I simply posted my opinion awhile ago and I only keep responding when peeps like you figure out how to use the emoji function.

Once again, this is being taken out of context. Me....personally, I don't like drafting Evans in the 2nd round. Not that I wouldn't in a later round if he fell. He is too inconsistent for my taste. Is he good? Yes. Would I rather wait and get Godwin? Yes. So far this season he has hurt owners more than helped. Let's see where his season leads by Week 10-12. That's all I got. :lmao:
Rrrreally going out on a limb saying you would draft Godwin, 4 weeks after the season started. 

So glad I traded Keenan Allen for Evans before the season started in my dynasty league. Going to be the reason I lose in two leages this week.

I didn't see the game.  Only 3 targets?  Very worrisome.

But Winston only threw 27 passes in a game they were trailing throughout.  Seems like a very odd total.  Did the Saints just dominate Time of Possession?

Luckily the goose egg didn't cost me today, so it's easier to take the long view.

I think a big part of it is Lattimore IMO has turned a corner. He knows he has been playing poorly and he has really been locked on the past couple weeks and may be a shutdown corner once again.

Users who are viewing this thread