What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Derek Carr, NO (3 Viewers)

Touchdown Wire ranks Raiders QB Derek Carr as 29th-best quarterback in NFL

Excerpts:

After a rough start to the 2018 season, Raiders’ quarterback Derek Carr got hot in the second half of the season and started to play like a franchise quarterback once again. Carr finished the season completing nearly 69 percent of his passes and averaged a career-high 7.3 yards per attempt.

Considering Carr’s talent and his resume, it’s tough to see any list where he finishes outside of the top-16, let alone No. 29. Carr has posted four straight seasons with a passer rating of at least 86 and has completed 64 percent of his passes during that time frame. Look for Carr to significantly outproduce this ranking in 2019.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden wants Derek Carr to scramble more this season.

"Derek is a lot more athletic than people think," Gruden claimed. "Hopefully we can get some more scramble, second-reaction offense." Gruden has gone so far in the early days of camp as to require defensive backs to jump routes, forcing Carr to "consider running." One of the most conservative players in football, Carr has rushed for more than 100 yards in a season just once, while Gruden's offenses have never featured a scrambling element. Carr has also struggled with injury in recent years. This isn't going to go anywhere.

SOURCE: San Jose Mercury News

Jul 27, 2019, 11:18 PM ET

Frank Stampfl @Roto_Frank

Per @PFF, Derek Carr threw deep passes (20+ yards downfield) on just 9.2% of his throws last season, 35th among 38 QBs with at least 15 deep attempts. However, his adjusted completion % on these throws was 49%, fifth best among those 38 QBs. The Raiders SHOULD be more aggressive.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden said Derek Carr has "got to throw the ball down the field" this upcoming season.

"We got to throw the ball down the field and if it’s incomplete or we get the catch, we can always challenge (Al) Riveron (the senior vice president of officiating) in New York and see what he thinks," Gruden said. "It’s going to be a very, very subjective call this year, but we are trying to be more aggressive." It's actually a savvy thought process as the officials subjectivity should lead to even more erroneous calls (thus handing offenses terrific field position) around the league, but the fact remains Carr's 7.1 average depth of target and 51 attempts 20-plus yards downfield in his first year under Gruden were both career-low marks. It wouldn't be shocking to see Darren Waller or rookie slot wideout Hunter Renfrow lead the Raiders in receptions at season's end.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 28, 2019, 9:04 PM ET

Raiders coach Jon Gruden said Derek Carr has "got to throw the ball down the field" this upcoming season.

"We got to throw the ball down the field and if it’s incomplete or we get the catch, we can always challenge (Al) Riveron (the senior vice president of officiating) in New York and see what he thinks," Gruden said. "It’s going to be a very, very subjective call this year, but we are trying to be more aggressive." It's actually a savvy thought process as the officials subjectivity should lead to even more erroneous calls (thus handing offenses terrific field position) around the league, but the fact remains Carr's 7.1 average depth of target and 51 attempts 20-plus yards downfield in his first year under Gruden were both career-low marks. It wouldn't be shocking to see Darren Waller or rookie slot wideout Hunter Renfrow lead the Raiders in receptions at season's end.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 28, 2019, 9:04 PM ET
Please, please, please let this happen so we can see if AB's head exploding is enough to destroy his new league-approved helmet from the inside.

Derek Carr completed 22-of-26 passes 259 yards and a touchdown in the Raiders' Week 1 win over the Broncos.

Carr had a perfect opening drive, completing five straight passes and capping it off with an eight-yard touchdown to Tyrell Williams. He only had one incompletion and 178 yards going into the half. Carr avoided throwing to Chris Harris’ coverage, with most of his completions coming against Isaac Yiadom. This was a statement win for Carr, who lost star WR Antonio Brown days before the opener. Carr's supporting cast is still a concern, but he's off to a good start after a down 2018.

Sep 10, 2019, 1:16 AM ET

Is he really rosterable in fantasy leagues?  Solid game yesterday,  and a paltry 13.8 points in standard scoring leagues.
He's a decent QB2 in a twelve-team league or 2QB leagues.   

Carr tends to be a Alex Smith clone, dinking and dunking down the field.    Jon Gruden has been quite vocal in stating that he wants Carr to put the ball down the field in the old Raider tradition.   Gets a little skittish in the pocket at times, but he can deliver the football quickly. 

He should have a really good game against the Chiefs on Sunday.   He lit them up for 285 yards and 3 TDs in Oakland last year.   The thing that you have to be mindful of is that Carr does have some wide-ranging home/road split stats.   Good at home, not so much on the road for the most part.   I wouldn't start him in Minnesota in Week 3 or Chicago in Week 5.   

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02/gamelog/

Derek Carr completed 23-of-38 passes for 198 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions in the Raiders' 28-10, Week 2 loss against the Chiefs.

Carr marched the Raiders right down the field on their first two drives and came away with 10 points. That was pretty much the end of the Raiders’ passing game. Both interceptions were absolutely Carr’s fault. He was efficient while targeting Tyrell Williams (5-46-1) and Darren Waller (6-63-0), but that was about it. Carr shouldn’t be considered as a fantasy option for the Raiders’ Week 3 matchup against the Vikings in Minnesota.

Sep 15, 2019, 7:27 PM ET

Derek Carr completed 22-of-28 passes for 293 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Raiders' 42-24, Week 7 loss to the Packers.

It was a good day for Carr, but his lost fumble late in the second quarter completely changed the complexion of the game. Lunging for the pylon on a 2nd-and-goal, Carr needlessly fumbled out of the back of the end zone for a touchdown. The Packers then immediately marched down the field for a touchdown, turning what could have been a 17-14 Raiders advantage into a 21-10 Packers halftime lead. Carr's second half interception was needlessly forced into double coverage in the end zone. When he wasn't making boneheaded decisions, Carr was relentlessly working the seam, finding Darren Waller for 7/126/2 and Foster Moreau for a score. Waller was the intended target on Carr's pick. The Raiders will remain on the road for Week 8, traveling to Houston.

Last edited by a moderator:
Derek Carr completed 18-of-30 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns in Oakland's Week 8 loss to the Texans.

It was arguably Carr's best performance to date as coach Jon Gruden's game plan transparently involved attacking recently traded CB Gareon Conley over the top frequently. Tyrell Williams' (3/91/1) return gave Carr a target on the outside for a change, seeing the two connect on a 46-yard splash play to put the Raiders up 21-13 in the third quarter. Williams was unfortunately unable to come down with two deep shots in the fourth — the second incompletion robbing Carr of the yardage needed to eclipse the 300-yard mark. It was a promising outing, but the health of Detroit's o-line weighs heavily in the decision to start the signal-caller against Detroit in Week 9. Consider him a high-end QB2 as it stands.

Oct 27, 2019, 10:01 PM ET

Derek Carr completed 20-of-31 passes for 289 yards and two touchdowns in the Raiders' Week 9 win over the Lions.

Led by great play calling from coach Gruden, Carr had a rock-solid performance in a nail-biter that finished with a Raiders' goal-line stand with three seconds remaining. Carr spread the ball out, adding Hunter Renfrow and backup running backs to the passing-game mix, and he avoided turnovers to get the Raiders to 4-4 on the season. Next week, the Raiders get a home game with the up-and-down Chargers on Thursday Night Football. Carr will be a decent QB2 option then.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:41 PM ET

Derek Carr completed 21-of-31 passes for 218 yards and a touchdown in the Raiders' 26-24, Week 10 win over the Chargers.

Carr guided the Raiders down the field for what would prove to be a game-winning Josh Jacobs rushing touchdown, but he had his volume limited by a run-established game plan and the Chargers dominating time of possession. Carr wasn't terribly crisp this evening, and took a number of inopportune third down sacks, but managed to avoid big mistakes. He played well enough for his team to win a weird game. He now has 10 days to rest up for a scrimmage with the pathetic Bengals. He will be a QB1 streamer for that one.

Nov 7, 2019, 11:54 PM ET

Carr has had so many haters and doubters, so many people dismiss him as average or worse.

The guy is simply an incredible field general, and plays extraordinarily well in the clutch.

He's really a special talent.

• Smile
Reactions: One
Rams' offensive struggles ... explained! Plus, Derek Carr's revival

Excerpt:

DEREK CARR'S REVIVAL: Jon Gruden maximizing his QB in Year 2

I know some folks question Jon Gruden's true bona fides as a purported quarterback whisperer, but it's hard to knock his impressive work with Derek Carr. The Oakland Raiders' QB1 is quietly playing at an MVP level, catapulting his team back into playoff contention at 5-4, one game behind the AFC West-leading Chiefs. In fact, Carr has been so effective in Gruden's offense that it reminds me of watching my former teammate, Rich Gannon, blossom into a Tier 1 quarterback under the coach's tutelage.

OK, I know it's a bit premature to seriously discuss Carr as a potential MVP vote-getter, but his numbers suggest that he is playing at a level reminiscent of Gannon's performance in 2002, when the veteran quarterback earned MVP honors. Don't believe me? Just look at their numbers directing the same system:

Gannon through nine games in 2002: 70 percent completion rate, 7.6 yards per attempt, 19:7 TD-to-INT ratio, 101.2 passer rating.

Carr through nine games in 2019: 70.8 percent completion rate, 7.8 yards per attempt, 14:4 TD-to-INT ratio, 104.4 passer rating.

Granted, Bill Callahan was the head coach of the Raiders when Gannon claimed the award, but the offense was originally designed by Gruden, with Callahan as the offensive coordinator -- and the team simply carried it over after Gruden was traded away to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in February of 2002.

In 2019, Gruden's back up to his old tricks, crafting an offensive scheme that has Carr playing at a level we haven't seen since 2016, when the passer was indeed an MVP candidate. At the moment, Carr is on pace to become only the fourth quarterback to finish a season (min. 250 attempts) with a completion percentage of 70-plus and a passer rating of 100-plus. This accomplishment would put him in pretty good company, alongside Hall of Fame inductees Joe Montana and Steve Young, as well as future Hall of Famer Drew Brees. With this in mind, I wanted to pop in the All-22 Coaches Film to see how Gruden has elevated the play of his QB1.

Immediately, I noticed Carr is playing in a quick-rhythm system designed to get the ball out of his hands, like a point guard playing in the Princeton offense. No. 4 has excelled in the "catch, rock and throw" offense, with an average time to throw of 2.67 seconds (eighth-fastest in the NFL, per Next Gen Stats) and an average of 6.4 air yards per attempt (third-fewest). Why does that matter? Carr is one of the least-pressured quarterbacks in 2019, and pass rushers' inability to harass him in the pocket has enabled the veteran passer to pick apart defenses with a dink-and-dunk game that's indefensible unless opponents are willing to play -- and win -- on the perimeter with tight man coverage.

When opponents have attempted to utilize blitz-pressure tactics (five or more pass rushers), Carr has responded in outstanding fashion with a 108.5 passer rating and a 2:0 TD-to-INT ratio, per NGS. That's a drastic improvement over his effectiveness against the blitz a year ago (61.7 passer rating, 3:6 TD-to-INT ratio), which is a testament to his ability to settle into Gruden's system in Year 2, with the quarterback guru making tweaks and adjustments along the way.

One of the schematic adjustments that stands out on tape has been the Raiders' clever utilization of "21" personnel (2 RBs, 1 TE, 2 WRs), with the play-action passing game as a foundation. Carr has not only held defenders with masterful ball fakes and great eye manipulation (moving safeties by looking in one direction before throwing to the back side), but he has also targeted his running backs and tight ends on checkdowns when coverage takes away the primary target. He has mastered the art of taking the layup, and the barrage of dump-off passes eventually lures defenders out of position, leading to open voids at the second level.

With the "cat and mouse" game in mind, Carr's success on intermediate throws is a byproduct of the veteran quarterback connecting the dots at a high level. No. 4 is simply identifying coverage and hitting the open receiver without hesitation. Granted, most average quarterbacks should be expected to follow the progression and get the ball into the hands of open receivers, but Carr's efficiency at intermediate range has enabled the Raiders' offense to roll against a variety of defensive tactics designed to slow down Offensive Rookie of the Year front-runner Josh Jacobs and neutralize the team's quick-rhythm passing game. Considering he's the NFL leader in completion percentage (70.8), yards per attempt (12.9) and passer rating (139.2) on intermediate-range throws (10-19 air yards), Carr's discipline and efficiency as a pocket passer should be celebrated in league circles.

At a time when everyone is debating which players deserve to be included in the MVP discussion, you might want to pay closer attention to the Raiders' QB1 as he engineers a surprising run at the AFC West title.

Derek Carr completed 25-of-29 passes for 292 yards, one touchdown, and one pick in Oakland's Week 11 victory over the Bengals.

He not only completed his first 14 passes out the gates but also evaded oncoming defenders late in the second quarter and dove head-first for his first rushing score since October 28 last year. Carr was surgical against Cincinnati's Swiss cheese secondary, driving Oakland down the field with ease in a one-score contest in the fourth quarter as he hit Darren Waller (5/78) for a 32-yard gain and peppered Zay Jones just short of pay dirt to put the Raiders up 17-10 with less than 10 minutes to play. Despite having an efficient campaign for the Raiders on the field, Carr's floor is the only thing he brings to the table on fantasy rosters as he has yet to exceed 300 yards once this year. If he's ever going to eclipse that dreaded mark, however, it's likely next Sunday against the Jets' giving secondary.

Nov 17, 2019, 7:52 PM ET

DocHolliday said:
Probably a little much GB.   
I disagree -- I never said he was elite, Top 10, or compared him to Brees or Brady, or shiny objects like Lamar Jackson.

I did say he's an incredible field general, and will objectively use his completion % (70,8%, 3rd in league) and QB rating (tied for 6th).

I said he plays extraordinarily well in the clutch -- tied for 3rd in game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks this year. He set an NFL record this year with 18 fourth-quarter comebacks in his first six seasons in the league, and tied for 2nd all time in 4th Q comebacks in a single season.

I do think he's a special talent, which is subjective. I think he's a franchise QB and has shown what he can do with quality line and weapons -- both this year and in 2016.

I disagree -- I never said he was elite, Top 10, or compared him to Brees or Brady, or shiny objects like Lamar Jackson.

I did say he's an incredible field general, and will objectively use his completion % (70,8%, 3rd in league) and QB rating (tied for 6th).

I said he plays extraordinarily well in the clutch -- tied for 3rd in game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks this year. He set an NFL record this year with 18 fourth-quarter comebacks in his first six seasons in the league, and tied for 2nd all time in 4th Q comebacks in a single season.

I do think he's a special talent, which is subjective. I think he's a franchise QB and has shown what he can do with quality line and weapons -- both this year and in 2016.
I think he's a smart QB that can lead the Raiders to the playoffs.    I don't think he is special though.   Maybe with a true WR1 my opinion changes.   Maybe we will see that in a year or two.    

I respect that opinion and you know I respect your views as they are reasoned.

So not arguing your position, but I am curious as to where you rank Carr's go-forward value as a franchise QB - specifically, what QBs right now would you want to have as you build your team into the future.

Overall, guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger, and arguably Cam are stalwart QBs in the NFL -- we can argue how much tread is on some of those tires, but as far as building a franchise into the future, Rodgers and Wilson are clear choices, and maybe Cam if you think he can heal up and perform (I don't, but definitely a non-zero proposition).

Of the new guard, we have Mahomes, Jackson, and Watson -- all three I would clearly prefer over Carr.

Now, let's tackle the rest -- starting with guys who have been around for a bit: Rivers, Ryan, Flacco, Dalton. Would take Carr over all of them in a go-forward basis.

Of some fresher faces, we have Stafford, Cousins, Prescott, Winston, Mariota, Goff, Garoppolo, Wentz, Foles, Brissett, Keenum, Tannehill. Even fresher, Murray, Mayfield, Josh and BRandon Allen, Minshew, Jones, Trubisky, Haskins, Finley. A lot of these rookies look like they can have promise, but haven't shown (to me) that they are clearly head-and-shoulders ahead of Carr. Maybe a case can be made for 1-2 who you'd like going forward.

So in my opinion, Carr is actually ranking in the Top 10 this year, and now that I did this exercise, I would actually call him Top 10 (to me, in the 7-8 range) of QBs I want going forward.  

Where do you rank him? And does a Top 10 QB in the NFL not denote some special talent?

I respect that opinion and you know I respect your views as they are reasoned.

So not arguing your position, but I am curious as to where you rank Carr's go-forward value as a franchise QB - specifically, what QBs right now would you want to have as you build your team into the future.

Overall, guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger, and arguably Cam are stalwart QBs in the NFL -- we can argue how much tread is on some of those tires, but as far as building a franchise into the future, Rodgers and Wilson are clear choices, and maybe Cam if you think he can heal up and perform (I don't, but definitely a non-zero proposition).

Of the new guard, we have Mahomes, Jackson, and Watson -- all three I would clearly prefer over Carr.

Now, let's tackle the rest -- starting with guys who have been around for a bit: Rivers, Ryan, Flacco, Dalton. Would take Carr over all of them in a go-forward basis.

Of some fresher faces, we have Stafford, Cousins, Prescott, Winston, Mariota, Goff, Garoppolo, Wentz, Foles, Brissett, Keenum, Tannehill. Even fresher, Murray, Mayfield, Josh and BRandon Allen, Minshew, Jones, Trubisky, Haskins, Finley. A lot of these rookies look like they can have promise, but haven't shown (to me) that they are clearly head-and-shoulders ahead of Carr. Maybe a case can be made for 1-2 who you'd like going forward.

So in my opinion, Carr is actually ranking in the Top 10 this year, and now that I did this exercise, I would actually call him Top 10 (to me, in the 7-8 range) of QBs I want going forward.  

Where do you rank him? And does a Top 10 QB in the NFL not denote some special talent?
Probably best that I don't answer this right now but I still think Carr is a good but not great QB.   Going to trust Gruden to see what he does in the offseason.

Derek Carr completed 25-of-34 passes for 263 yards and two touchdowns in the Raiders' Week 14 loss to the Titans.

The Raiders were rightfully booed while the final seconds ticked off in the Titans, 42-21, victory. Carr was largely ineffective, especially in the second half when the Raiders needed big plays to get back into the game. The Raiders were without Trent Brown, Josh Jacobs, and Hunter Renfrow, but there's no excuse to lose by three touchdowns to a team that was without multiple starting defenders. Carr is barely on the two-quarterback-league radar, even against a Jaguars team that's given up in recent weeks.

Dec 8, 2019, 8:25 PM ET

Derek Carr completed 26-of-30 passes for 291 yards and one touchdown in the Raiders' 24-17, Week 16 win over the Chargers.

He also rushed for a three-yard touchdown, with both his passing and rushing scores coming before halftime. DeAndre Washington scored on the opening drive of the third quarter, and that proved enough to beat the hapless Chargers. Carr's touchdown toss was a 56-yard catch-and-run by Hunter Renfrow, shedding some shoddy tackling after making the short catch. Carr's 291 yards were his third-most of the season, a year where he has zero 300-yard days. Truly unimaginable in today's NFL. Carr will wrap up his bounce-back season in Denver next week.

Scott Bair @BairNBCS

Derek Carr on reports that his future with the Raiders is uncertain: "We’ll see when that time comes. You’re probably sick of talking about it just like I am. I had some good meetings with my coaches. I’m looking forward to Las Vegas."

Scott Bair @BairNBCS

Jon Gruden was asked if it was a certainty Derek Carr would be his QB in 2020: "He played good. I'm not going to get all the next year scenarios. ...We have a lot of things to look at and to evaluate before we start making any assumptions."

Vincent Bonsignore@VinnyBonsignore

Should be an interesting week in Indianapolis.

Growing sense within league is there are NFL teams prepared to inquire with @Raiders about the possibility of trading for Derek Carr.

5:42 PM · Feb 18, 2020

Users who are viewing this thread