What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Derek Carr, NO (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Derek Carr - QB - Raiders

Raiders rookie QB Derek Carr is already taking snaps away from QB Matt McGloin and could push Matt Schaub for the starting job in Oakland.

Schaub is still clearly the Raiders' starter, but coach Dennis Allen said, "everything is written in pencil." Carr is expectedly dominating non-contact practices during OTAs and minicamp. The real test will come when Carr faces the live rush he often had problems coping with in college. No matter how he plays in training camp, the odds are Carr will end up in the starting role at some point this season.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Jun 12 - 8:05 PM
Yeah OK but Tyler Wilson was getting similar hype last season.
Any buzz now means almost nothing, but better he looks good than bad, right? We are reading that Johnny Football is late with the ball in OTA's, should we not be mildly concerned because, hey, Tyler Wilson looked good last year?

No, we prefer he look good too.

Rotoworld:

Raiders rookie QB Derek Carr is already taking snaps away from QB Matt McGloin and could push Matt Schaub for the starting job in Oakland.

Schaub is still clearly the Raiders' starter, but coach Dennis Allen said, "everything is written in pencil." Carr is expectedly dominating non-contact practices during OTAs and minicamp. The real test will come when Carr faces the live rush he often had problems coping with in college. No matter how he plays in training camp, the odds are Carr will end up in the starting role at some point this season.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Jun 12 - 8:05 PM
Yeah OK but Tyler Wilson was getting similar hype last season.
Not really. The Tyler Wilson hype was all media driven, no sources just beat writer speculation. In the above rotoworld blurb, it's important to note that Dennis Allen still has Schaub as the Raiders starter. And the recent praise for Carr is coming from the offensive coordinator, Greg Olson, not Allen. Still that's more of an inside source for the hype machine than Tyler Wilson ever got.
Dennis Allen was also in on the Tyler Wilson hyperbole. He said he had "no question" about Wilson arm strength and accuracy.

Rotoworld:

Derek Carr is getting the second-team reps during this week's minicamp.

Carr is no longer just pushing Matt McGloin -- he's moved ahead of him. Next up is starter Matt Schaub. We doubt the second-round rookie will make enough progress to start in Week 1, but it would be a shock if he doesn't end up making some starts this season.

Related: Matt McGloin

Source: CSN Bay Area

Jun 18 - 10:59 AM

I'm sure he'll be taken in my 2QB dynasty league, but I've seen so many reports of his panicking under pressure (I'll admit I'm not a college film watcher myself, so entirely second-hand), that it really makes me nervous relying on him to ever develop into a top-20 player. $10 arms do little if you have a 10¢ head to go with it and I just fear a repeat of what happened to his brother where he was so shell-shocked all the time that he never developed into the player he could have been.

I'm sure he'll be taken in my 2QB dynasty league, but I've seen so many reports of his panicking under pressure (I'll admit I'm not a college film watcher myself, so entirely second-hand), that it really makes me nervous relying on him to ever develop into a top-20 player. $10 arms do little if you have a 10¢ head to go with it and I just fear a repeat of what happened to his brother where he was so shell-shocked all the time that he never developed into the player he could have been.
Some of the famous coaches have been able to successfully apply pressure in training camp and develop this quality. Giants did with Simms and Eli. Early games for both of them were nothing like the players they'd become

Rotoworld:

Derek Carr will enter training camp as the Raiders' No. 2 quarterback.
There won't be a manufactured "competition" with 2013 UDFA Matt McGloin. NFL Network's Albert Breer reported earlier this month there's "internal belief" in Oakland that Carr could push Matt Schaub for the starting job, but he'd have to have a perfect preseason to unseat the Raiders' prized trade acquisition. Carr could very easily make starts this season, but it probably won't be before October.

Related: Matt McGloin

Source: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter

There is some confusion as to whether Carr suffered a concussion, broken ribs or both

Austin Murphy ‏@si_austinmurphy Derek Carr to Raiders team doctor in bowels of stadium just now: "I just heard a crunch. I don't know if my rib's broken. But it hurts."

Vic Tafur @VicTafur · 15h

I was so surprised because a reporter had just passed by Raiders official telling Carr's parents injury was to ribs. I guess it's both ...

Last edited by a moderator:
so is there any chance he just won the starting job? hes torching the seahawks, including a drive vs their starters. and its not like their depth players are bad, proly better than most teams. he looks legit but has had all kinds of time to deliver.

so is there any chance he just won the starting job? hes torching the seahawks, including a drive vs their starters. and its not like their depth players are bad, proly better than most teams. he looks legit but has had all kinds of time to deliver.
I doubt SEA was treating this like a meaningful game in terms of game-planning and disguising coverages, but it was certainly an encouraging performance.

The learning curve for Carr will probably look a lot steeper once the regular season starts. That goes for Bortles, Bridgewater, and Manziel as well.

With that said, Schaub looks pretty awful, so it's hard to believe that his leash will be very long.

Seattle's first team offense butchered the Raiders first team D unit. Seattle's first team defense came on the field primed to match the O's intensity. Carr carved them up on a myriad of difficult throws,well placed and with some zip on them . Denarius Moore made Richard Sherman look silly on a back shoulder throw. I dont think Seattle's defensive intensity was ever at issue, nor could it be used as an excuse.

NFL network hyping Carr big time.
It's not hype. Watch the game.
He had a good game but the NFL network was describing it as excellent. I have to say that was a perfect pass to Malcolm Smith. Denarious Moore actually was excellent tonight.
11-13, 140 yards, 152 rating. 3 TDs. In a quarter and a half.

It was an excellent game. The TD to Rivera was tipped, but if it was a perfect pass to Smith, then Rivera wouldn't have caught a TD, would he?

It doesn't mean much, 4th preseason game. It's not proof of anything.

But from an individual standpoint, whatever people were hoping Carr would show, he exceeded. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Observation Deck: Oakland Raiders

http://espn.go.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/5764/observation-deck-oakland-raiders-4

Excerpt:

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Start your engines for Derek Carr-mania.

The rookie quarterback was brilliant (if that’s possible in the preseason) Thursday night as the Oakland Raiders blitzed the reigning Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks. Making his first start, the second-round pick led the Raiders to a three-touchdown lead over Seattle a minute into the second quarter of an eventual 41-31 Oakland victory.

Carr completed 11 of 13 passes for 143 yards and three touchdowns. He led the Raiders on two one-play touchdown drives. Several Seattle defensive starters were on the field for the first drive, which ended with a Raiders touchdown. Carr even completed a pass on Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman, one of the game’s very best. The Seahawks seemed to be going through the motions, but Carr was dominant.

What was most impressive about Carr is how he handled the offense. He played with such comfort and confidence. He made every throw he needed to make and he was a stunning 4-for-4 for 62 yards on third down. He looked like a five-year starter, playing with about half of the Raiders’ first-string offense.

Carr’s wonderful performance, of course, will put pressure on the Raiders to start him Sept. 7 on the road against the New York Jets. Carr worked with the first team this week because starter Matt Schaub had elbow soreness. Both head coach Dennis Allen and Schaub said the injury is not serious. Allen said Schaub will start against the Jets.

However, we’ve seen this movie before. Last year’s presumed starter, Matt Flynn, also came up with elbow soreness at this point in the preseason. Terrelle Pryor started the last preseason game and then was named the starter for the regular season.

If Allen made that decision last year, with Pryor looking not nearly as strong as Carr did Thursday, why wouldn’t Allen give Carr a chance now?

If I had to guess, I think we will see Carr play against the Jets. Why not? Let’s see what he can do in the bright lights of New York.

Seattle D certainly didn't look interested from the get go - but Carr showed off his arm strength and placed some nice balls - albeit without much pressure in his face. Easy to see why Schaub should be worried.

Donnybrook said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Donnybrook said:
He had a good game but the NFL network was describing it as excellent. I have to say that was a perfect pass to Malcolm Smith. Denarious Moore actually was excellent tonight.
This is what I saw as well. There were bunch of throws that were not that well placed and some luck. Still there was a lot of good throws to think that maybe this guy can be a good QB in this league.

Donnybrook said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Donnybrook said:
This is what I saw as well. There were bunch of throws that were not that well placed and some luck. Still there was a lot of good throws to think that maybe this guy can be a good QB in this league.
I agree. I don't question his arm and ability to make throws. He has the best arm in this draft class. He has had difficulty dealing when facing a sustained pass rush. That is the hurdle he still needs to get over.

I'm starting to wonder if this guy has ebola. I've got him in a 16 tm league where I also have RG3, Geno, Bortles, and Mallett. I've been trying to deal him and get some RB or LB depth for my team. Or even some rookie picks.

You'd think the guy smells like road kill on a hot, southern summer day from the reactions I'm getting. People I've been asking for in return are Andre Williams, Joplo Bartu, Bryce Brown, Anthony Barr, etc...so nothing far fetched I don't think. I've offered him up to the Schaub owner who says he's over valued. There are several owners that have questionable QB situations (EJ Manuel, Eli Manning, Sam Bradford, etc) and they have shown zero interest.

Hasn't he looked good this preseason? Was there knocks on him coming out of college? I drafted him at the 3.08 spot since that seemed like solid value to me (possible future starting QB).

Is it just the stigma of him being a Raider? I'm hoping people are just missing the bus on him and his value will only increase.

To Warpig: I foolishly waited on Carr in my rookie draft because I knew that most owners have some sort of ingrained Raider hate or at the very least disgust. I was amazed to see the big 3 all drafted back to back to back at the end of round one and into round 2. Like I said, I waited and waited, could have had him in round 4 and got sniped. Now I'm considering sending in a lowball offer for a future second round pick and see if that flies. I'd love to be in your league. I think Carr has more dynasty upside than all the other rookie QB's except for maybe Bortles and Garropolo. Note: start 2 QB league

So Matt Schaub will have his job taken by the brother of the guy Schaub took his job from. Family Vengeance.
Irony comes full circle: The team that ruined bigger bro's career passed on younger bro twice over their common last name (speculation). And stuck with an overhyped 4th rounder instead of investing wisely in a deep QB class. Capulets and Montagues

So Matt Schaub will have his job taken by the brother of the guy Schaub took his job from. Family Vengeance.
Irony comes full circle: The team that ruined bigger bro's career passed on younger bro twice over their common last name (speculation). And stuck with an overhyped 4th rounder instead of investing wisely in a deep QB class. Capulets and Montagues
I wonder if he was Derek Manning instead of Derek Carr would he have gone #1 overall instead of falling to the 2nd round.

I wonder if he was Derek Manning instead of Derek Carr would he have gone #1 overall instead of falling to the 2nd round.
Well, history has shown us when it comes to brothers that QB in the NFL, one is always good while the other is garbage.Good: Carson Palmer

Bad: Jordan Palmer

Good: Matt Hasselbeck

Bad: Tim Hasselbeck

Good: Peyton Manning

Bad: Eli Manning

Good: Derek Carr (?)

Bad: David Carr

Meh: Josh McNown

Meh: Luke McNown

Good: Terry Bradshaw

Bad: Craig Bradshaw

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps, but then he would have also refused to play for Houston and asked his daddy to work a trade to a city as big as the Manning's collective ego.

Rotoworld:

The San Francisco Chronicle's Vic Tafur believes there's a 100 percent chance Derek Carr is the Raiders' starting quarterback Week 1 against the Jets.

All signs have been pointing to this since Carr torched the Seahawks in last night's preseason finale. Coach Dennis Allen, who had previously been adamant that Matt Schaub would start the opener, became more wishy-washy with his comments Thursday night. It's led beat writers to believe Carr is going to get the nod two Sundays from now in the Meadowlands. Schaub's arm is shot, while Carr's is cocked and loaded with big-time talent. In three preseason games, Carr was 30-of-45 passing for 326 yards, four touchdowns, and one interception.

Related: Matt Schaub

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Aug 29 - 12:30 PM

This kid is legitimate. He's going to be a long-term starter for the Raiders.

If you need a dynasty QB of the future, he's your guy. I'd pick him up over trading for Bortles or Bridgewater right now.

Schaub got bench for Case Keenum again
Way to announce to the world that you don't watch college football.
Hmm, I did happen to catch the USC game where they had the athletes to take away those cool little bubble screens that he was accustom to throwing 50x a game vs WAC opponents though :popcorn:

I wasn't trying to offend you. I hope I'm wrong, but he's really going to disappoint you when it's all said and done. Starting him day-1 is going to bite this team.

Hmm, I did happen to catch the USC game where they had the athletes to take away those cool little bubble screens that he was accustom to throwing 50x a game vs WAC opponents though :popcorn:

I wasn't trying to offend you. I hope I'm wrong, but he's really going to disappoint you when it's all said and done. Starting him day-1 is going to bite this team.
Why? Should we have made Super Bowl reservations with Schaub under center?

The team made roster moves like they did. It's the oldest team in the league.

The team made roster moves like they did. It's the oldest team in the league.
Again, people make WAY too much of that useless stat. That makes them exactly 1.91 years older, on average, than the youngest team in the league.

There is not a single good reason not to start Carr.

Seattle's first team offense butchered the Raiders first team D unit. Seattle's first team defense came on the field primed to match the O's intensity. Carr carved them up on a myriad of difficult throws,well placed and with some zip on them . Denarius Moore made Richard Sherman look silly on a back shoulder throw. I dont think Seattle's defensive intensity was ever at issue, nor could it be used as an excuse.
Was fully expecting to read something like this. I disagree with your analysis.

I had the game saved on my DVR so I went back and watched every throw. I think Carr looked poised and made some nice throws, but he also had some pretty bad choices as well.

His lob up the right sideline attempting to beat Sherman on a fade was a horrible decision. No chance. Lucky it wasn't picked. The idea that Moore made Sherman look silly is just blind homerism. Carr did put the ball in a place only Moore could catch it (with one hand). I hope you're not expecting your receivers to make that catch routinely. If I'm a defensive coordinator I'm pretty happy with Sherman's coverage on that particular play. Further, the TD that went off the hand of LB M. Smith was sheer luck.

Look, I'm rooting for the kid. I'm a lifelong Al Davis fan. Mad respect for what he did from the 60's up until 2001. I want the Raiders to return to a position of power in the NFL. That said, I keep hearing how Carr ripped the Seattle first unit a new one. That's just not the case when put under the microscope. Yes, he made nice throws. The third TD in the left front corner of the endzone was a great throw. I don't know that it mattered that it was against scrubs.

I get the feeling that everytime I hear "against Seattle's starters" it somehow validates wishful thinking.

Derek Carr might be draft's best QB

Pro offense experience could separate Fresno State star from draft's big threeBy Ashley Fox | ESPN.com

You know the Big Three.

You've heard all about them. Quarterbacks Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater will all be high draft picks come May. All three will likely be gone by the 10th pick. If your team needs a starting quarterback, those are the players to target in this draft. Get one, and you're good.

At least that is the conventional wisdom.

But by the time the draft hype machine gives way to the actual draft in five weeks, the Big Three could actually be the Big Four: Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater and Derek Carr. And Fresno State's Carr could bounce to or near the top of that list.

Sound crazy? It is not.

The process of evaluating quarterbacks is complicated. In most cases, it is an inexact science. Andrew Luck was a can't-miss prospect, but what about JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch or Ryan Leaf? Each was a top-three draft pick who turned into a colossal bust. Or what about the quarterbacks taken in the first round in 2011: Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder? Only Newton has a grip on a starting job entering 2014.

It is difficult to project how a quarterback will translate at the next level. There is plenty of guesswork involved, and often, given the pressure and the stakes and the very real prospect of being wrong, emotion creeps in. Gut feeling can usurp months of player evaluations and scouting. One quarterback might just feel right. He might have that unquantifiable "it" factor.

Rarely does a team know for sure what it will get from its pick.

That is why the discussion about the quarterbacks entering this upcoming draft has been all over the map. There is growing sentiment that none of the quarterbacks rank among the 32 best players in the draft, but at least four, Carr among them, probably will be taken in the first round because of teams' needs.

Carr is gaining steam because, unlike Manziel, Bortles and Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo, he ran a pro-style offense for a year in college. As a redshirt sophomore in 2011, Carr was a starter for then-Fresno State coach Pat Hill. He learned the skills a quarterback needs at the next level: timing, footwork, and accuracy, among them. He threw vertical routes with precision and displayed a strong arm.

Hill got fired after that season and was replaced by Tim DeRuyter, who implemented a spread offense. Carr adjusted.

But at his pro day last month, Carr did not throw a single bubble screen. He threw all vertical routes and afterward quipped that he dusted off the Pat Hill offense. It was smart. If teams want to evaluate him in context, they must look beyond 2013, when Carr played in a spread and threw for more yards and more touchdowns than any other quarterback in college football. They must look beyond 2012. They must go back and watch 2011.

"If you limit your exposure to just 2013 or 2012, you're missing the boat," said ESPN analyst Louis Riddick, the former director of pro personnel for the Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins. "If you limit yourself to 2012, you are missing 2011, when he ran a quote-unquote pro-style offense, which at a young age I thought he showed excellent proficiency given where he was developmentally at that time.

"When you see him now in that type of system when he went to the Senior Bowl, during the practices, during the week, during the game, during his pro day, he was very comfortable with the footwork, timing, mechanics, accuracy that he's going to need at the NFL level. There are some people that are very, very, very impressed by what they think his skills are relative to an NFL projection. Conversely, when you look at Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, Jimmy Garoppolo, your projection is more along the lines of a guess than it is a projection, because there's no context to go off of."

Which is why there's growing sentiment around the league that Cleveland could decide that Carr is its guy and use the fourth overall pick on him despite owning three picks in the top 35, including No. 26 overall.

At the NFL owners meeting last week, new Browns coach Mike Pettine talked about the positive attributes Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater and Carr possess. He said Bortles has all the measurables, Bridgewater is "very cerebral" and Manziel is a "gifted playmaker." Pettine said Carr was "the best natural thrower as far as arm strength ... in the draft."

When asked about the characteristics he's looking for in a quarterback, Pettine said he is not locked into a specific type but that he's "looking for a guy that's got that 'it' factor.

"We are going to work out to see how they are physically," Pettine added, "but at the same time do a lot of homework from a background standpoint, talking to guys, people they've played with, coaches, just trying to see who has that 'it' factor. You see a lot of guys that have the physical talent to play, and there's just something missing."

With Carr, there doesn't seem to be much missing. His intangibles are off the chart. He has, according to ESPN's Scouts Inc., exceptional character and "eats, drinks, breathes football." That his older brother David, the first overall pick in 2002, got beatento a pulp during his five seasons in Houston should not adversely affect the younger Carr. If anything, David should be able to help Derek.

Conventional wisdom says the Big Three will come off the board first come draft day. But don't be surprised if Carr's name gets called much earlier than expected or even before one of the more heralded prospects.
BUMP

Users who are viewing this thread