What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Derek Carr, NO (1 Viewer)

Rooting for Carr to be successful. I hope he has a better career than his brother did, because that poor kid got destroyed.

Seattle's first team offense butchered the Raiders first team D unit. Seattle's first team defense came on the field primed to match the O's intensity. Carr carved them up on a myriad of difficult throws,well placed and with some zip on them . Denarius Moore made Richard Sherman look silly on a back shoulder throw. I dont think Seattle's defensive intensity was ever at issue, nor could it be used as an excuse.
Was fully expecting to read something like this. I disagree with your analysis.

I had the game saved on my DVR so I went back and watched every throw. I think Carr looked poised and made some nice throws, but he also had some pretty bad choices as well.

His lob up the right sideline attempting to beat Sherman on a fade was a horrible decision. No chance. Lucky it wasn't picked. The idea that Moore made Sherman look silly is just blind homerism. Carr did put the ball in a place only Moore could catch it (with one hand). I hope you're not expecting your receivers to make that catch routinely. If I'm a defensive coordinator I'm pretty happy with Sherman's coverage on that particular play. Further, the TD that went off the hand of LB M. Smith was sheer luck.

Look, I'm rooting for the kid. I'm a lifelong Al Davis fan. Mad respect for what he did from the 60's up until 2001. I want the Raiders to return to a position of power in the NFL. That said, I keep hearing how Carr ripped the Seattle first unit a new one. That's just not the case when put under the microscope. Yes, he made nice throws. The third TD in the left front corner of the endzone was a great throw. I don't know that it mattered that it was against scrubs.

I get the feeling that everytime I hear "against Seattle's starters" it somehow validates wishful thinking.
I get the feeling every time anybody dares suggest Seattle players are anything but Christ reincarnate in shoulderpads, we're going to hear this kind "OMG NO YOU DI'INT!" nonsense dismissing everything that went against them as bad luck or blind homerism coming (ironically) from the other team's fanbase.

That last line is why your whole fanbase sounds like ITS after too much Ex-Lax. I get that it was the first time that city has won anything. But act like you've been there anyway.

ETA: hard to believe I have almost an entire city on ignore now. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the feeling every time anybody dares suggest Seattle players are anything but Christ reincarnate in shoulderpads, we're going to hear this kind "OMG NO YOU DI'INT!" nonsense dismissing everything that went against them as bad luck or blind homerism coming (ironically) from the other team's fanbase.

That last line is why your whole fanbase sounds like ITS after too much Ex-Lax. I get that it was the first time that city has won anything. But act like you've been there anyway.

ETA: hard to believe I have almost an entire city on ignore now. :shrug:
If this is what you get from reading my commentary, well, I don't know what to say to that. Comparing me to ITS is pretty insulting. I called him on his BS all the time. Or at least I did before I started ignoring his posts. He's the only guy I have on ignore. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and suggest that you don't know much about my posting history.

Here's the problem with written communication. It will always be read with the worst possible feeling and intonation. I like to pride myself on my ability to be fairly objective and realize that having a home team means I will always have my biases.

Do me a favor. Read this post and then report back. If you really feel I'm in the class of ITS so be it.

The practice reports have been solid, he's looked good, not perfect, in games.

A road game vs a good D is tough, but he's been their best QB. He should start. Let's get the future going now.

I still think we should start McGloin. Not because he's been better than Carr, but b/c I'm a believer in letting a QB sit at least the first few games during his rookie year, or at least until the OL, running game and WR corps are capable of supporting him. I don't believe those three units are there yet. We'll see if they are.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/1/6083283/derek-carr-starter-raiders-matt-schaub

Take a look for yourself at Carr's skills in the link. I hate to be accused of being a blind homer. And it's not to say every throw is perfect or that Carr's game is polished. It's not. But it is pretty harsh to flame a Raider fan for getting excited about a rookie QB when it's been like forever since we had one.
I am going to support you here. I think its the best move your team has made in a while.

I think Sweet Love had it right at the very beginning of this thread when he said he was being glossed over, partially because of his brother.

When you see his arm (and I know that's not everything), boy there is a lot to be giddy about. He has a rare intangible (at least intangible to me...I watch him and don't know what to call it but I like it).

Kind of funny how the overlooked guy is the one that gets the opening day gig.

Just to reply to someone above, I think Jones was going to be sneaky good, regardless this year, in relation to how cheap you could get him so this makes him less of a bargain but less of a risk IMO.

Schaub looks like he is done so I don't fault the Raiders for starting Carr. However, he is up against a solid Rex Ryan defense - nothing like the ones he faced in college. I will admit when I am wrong but I am fully expecting a #CarrWreck.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/1/6083283/derek-carr-starter-raiders-matt-schaub

Take a look for yourself at Carr's skills in the link. I hate to be accused of being a blind homer. And it's not to say every throw is perfect or that Carr's game is polished. It's not. But it is pretty harsh to flame a Raider fan for getting excited about a rookie QB when it's been like forever since we had one.
What's funny about this is how often posters use the trite cliche of asking for :homer: advice when in fact here it is, providing potentially useful insight.

IF Carr panned out, it would maybe mean added value for James Jones, Moore, Streater, Rivera and MJD. That would be a real trove.

Of course that's "if."

Last edited by a moderator:
Schaub looks like he is done so I don't fault the Raiders for starting Carr. However, he is up against a solid Rex Ryan defense - nothing like the ones he faced in college. I will admit when I am wrong but I am fully expecting a #CarrWreck.
Fair point in a vacuum, but that normally otherwise solid Rex Ryan defense is going into Week 1 pretty banged up in the secondary. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised when we see the following things happen in sequence:

1. Behind fireplug MJ-D and power/speed Latavius Murray, with McFadden sprinkled in as a COP for good measure, the Raiders are going to effectively run on the Jets on 1st and 2nd down.

If they struggle with this early in the game, being on the road, I think they ought to be/are going to be concerned about sheltering Carr from mental-game damage right out of the gates, and while the defense is in squat mode, only allow him to throw either high percentage stuff, or just throw it away, rather than convert third-and-longs. It's important to remember that the Jets offense is relatively harmless as well, and that both Teams ought to be primarily concerned about playing mistake-free football, and parlaying the field position game into a tight, low scoring victory. Back to the point, the Raiders are going to try to use the running game to put Carr into as many 3rd and short situations as possible, and not ask him to play outside of himself - check down or get rid of the ball on 3rd and long, rather than trying to hit the big play and potentially turn the ball over.

2. Because the Jets will have trouble stopping the run, their defense, featuring a injury-depleted secondary, is going to HAVE to creep up and start playing more in-the-box stuff. Mychal Rivera is going to get targeted a wholebigbunch starting in the late 1st quarter.

3. Inevitably, there are going to be favorable down and distance situations, likely we won't see this until the 2nd half, but they'll happen - 2nd and shorts - where they allow a properly warmed up, and now-comfortable-with-live-game-speed Carr, to take some shots - fly's and go's and deep out's to whatever WR is in single coverage, throwing way out in front of the WR, and towards the sideline to keep the chance of turnover at a bare minimum. Shots, yes, but very safe ones, and likely very low percentage ones as well, just to work out his arm and develop some timing with his WR's.

...I respect Ryan. I respect that defense when it's healthy and when it has a credible offense to take the pressure off. I respect any Team playing at home, and a season-opener, no less...

...but make no mistake, that defense is going to be vulnerable to what the Raiders are going to try and accomplish on offense. Personally, I think has a solid, if unspectacular showing. As a Carr Owner, with little invested, and low expectations for this year, that's exactly what I want to see this Sunday. A win would be nice, too.

Jets are probably a good play, even with it feeling like a bit of a trap game. I mean, maybe they don't get you 15 points if Carr plays well, but they're still probably going to give you 5-6 in a worst-case scenario. I'm not sure anyone would expect Carr to go without a turnover in his first start, not take any sacks, and lead Oakland to 35 points.

I think the Jets are a good play as well, partly because I think Geno might do well against the Raiders DBs. This game might have just as much to do with the Raiders D vs. the Jets offense.

Also Carr's a rookie vs. a complicated defense, west coast team with an early east coast game. Lots of betting trends pointing the same way.

My game plan would be high percentage passes on first down (MJD, DMC, Reece, Moore, Rivera), and running the ball. Raider O-line looked pretty good running the ball in the preseason, but Jets interior rush defense pretty dang good.

Rotoworld:

Raiders C Stefen Wisniewski said rookie QB Derek Carr surprised him by knowing the entire offensive playbook in July.

Carr, the younger brother of former NFL quarterback David Carr, will have full command of the calls when he makes his debut Sunday. The spot, however, is difficult. Carr will be on the road facing a fearsome Jets' front that is schemed by defensive mastermind Rex Ryan. The strong-armed Carr is certainly a better option for the Raiders than Matt Schaub, but he's a borderline QB2 in fantasy. Sep 3 - 11:02 AM

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

It all comes down to running the ball for the Raiders. The game plan is not going to be put on Carr's shoulders. Carr is not going to be able to win this game. For the Raiders to win, he needs to give his team a chance by not taking too many sacks and turning the ball over a lot.

The Raiders are not expected to win this game and rightly so. As pointed out by massraider, there are too many things going against the Raiders in this game.

Rotoworld:

Raiders C Stefen Wisniewski said rookie QB Derek Carr surprised him by knowing the entire offensive playbook in July.

Carr, the younger brother of former NFL quarterback David Carr, will have full command of the calls when he makes his debut Sunday. The spot, however, is difficult. Carr will be on the road facing a fearsome Jets' front that is schemed by defensive mastermind Rex Ryan. The strong-armed Carr is certainly a better option for the Raiders than Matt Schaub, but he's a borderline QB2 in fantasy. Sep 3 - 11:02 AM

Reading this, after having JaMarcus Russell, makes me want to cry for joy.

Rotoworld:

Reading this, after having JaMarcus Russell, makes me want to cry for joy.
This kid is going to be the Raiders' starter for a long time. In a good way.

DocHolliday said:
It all comes down to running the ball for the Raiders. The game plan is not going to be put on Carr's shoulders. Carr is not going to be able to win this game. For the Raiders to win, he needs to give his team a chance by not taking too many sacks and turning the ball over a lot.

The Raiders are not expected to win this game and rightly so. As pointed out by massraider, there are too many things going against the Raiders in this game.
The running game looks much better than it did at this time last year when DMC was the primary RB. MJD looks rejuvenated and DMC can be more effective as a complementary back than a starter.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014/9/4/6107527/7-derek-carr-throws-v-seattle

Long but very good read offering detailed explanation of Carr's breakout game vs Seattle. I highly recommend.
The thing that gets highlighted there is the thing I really like about Carr. He's a rookie - he's going to miss some throws. It seems his default is to miss back-shoulder, though rather than high, low, or out in front. That's a huge bonus in my opinion, and a great sign for him.

I don't know if it's intentional or not, but it's optimal in my opinion.

4.7 yards per attempt. Something to build on!
The game plan was pretty obviously very short passing to ease him into the NFL. I expect things to slowly get farther from the line of scrimmage.He's not going to be a fantasy savior this year. But in Dynasty, a rookie QB who is earning the trust of his teammates and coaches is gold.

Users who are viewing this thread