What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PDSL 2 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

QB - N. Foles (4.15), M. Vick (8.15)

RB - J. Charles (1.02), R. Bush (2.15), M. Jones-Drew (9.02)

WR - J. Nelson (3.02), K. Wright (5.02)

TE - M. Bennett (6.15), C. Clay (7.02)

Halfway through the 8th round, I was pretty sure I'd be going WR-WR at this turn. Six picks, and six WRs, later, that plan went right out the window in favor of adding depth elsewhere.

There's no doubt in my mind Vick starts for the Jets week 1. Rex is on the hot seat in NY (what else is new?) and Vick clearly gives them the best chance to win right now. How long he holds it down (and stays upright) is another question of course, but in a best-ball format I much prefer the potential for three or four 30+ point weeks in half a season out of my QB2 to a 16-week string of mediocrity.

Oakland's backfield is a mess this year, but MJD should get about half the touches and most of the GL work. Sprinkle in a few weeks of bellcow duty when DMC invariably pulls up lame, and it's more than enough to feel good about making him my RB3.

Looks like I'll be utilizing not so much a WR3-by-committee as a WR3-by-throwing-darts approach with this team - but should be solid at every other position, and I'm certainly happy we're going 20 deep, giving me a couple of extra darts to play with.

1.07 Eddie Lacy, RB Packers - Wish Calvin had fallen, of course. Missed by one pick. Love this kid. APOROY, and Coach has been outspoken on Team expecting him to be every down RB in 2014. Did great job carrying load in 2013, w/ no real durability issues. Managed 35 receptions, 1400+ total yards and 11 TD while establishing himself last year. Although there are plenty of mouths to feed in GB, it's still an extremely prolific offense, and with an established role, I'm thinking he's going to up those #'s to 48/1600/12, and I didn't see another RB available that I thought could as likely generate those #'s between the combination of their own talent and the offense they were working within.

2.10 Julius Thomas, TE Broncos - I consider OJT to be a Tier-1 player at his position, none of my Tier-1 guys were left at QB and WR...what's it going to be like in Denver, sans Decker, is the big question. Probably worthy to wonder what the passing game is going to look like sans Moreno as well? Still very prolific, I think that's a sure bet. In transition, I'd like to think Manning will lean on what he knows and trusts, and that's the Thomas' and Welker. I don't think Ball is anywhere near the threat out of the backfield Moreno was, and I don't think enough of Emmanuel Sanders to assume he's going to get a Decker-size piece of the pie, even if he doesn't get hurt. Building on 2013 even modestly, that's a nice piece to build a foundation on in TE2PPR.
3.07 Keenan Allen, WR Chargers - Tough run to watch coming into my 3rd Rounder. Thought one of Nelson, Cobb, Fitzgerald, would fall to me, didn't...while I was pondering the 'usual suspects' group, when I came across K.A, due to the fact that his name kept coming up when I was researching my 1st round pick of Eddie Lacy, with all the 2013 Rookie hype. Have to admit I didn't know as much about him, as I didn't have him on any Teams last year, so I took the opportunity to take a closer look. From the highlights, I didn't realized he had the size he does. Resurgent season by Rivers, probably will see some regression overall in the passing stats this year, but I like the direction I think this kid is headed in, and his place in the offense.

4.10 T.Y. Hilton, WR Colts - Another young'un for me here. Usually I'm more of a vet guy. Adding Nicks to the mix makes for a lot of guys looking for targets, but I like Hilton's potential in a PPR scheme. Doesn't have the size I usually prefer, but some of the other guys available at this point didn't either. Think he has more upside than the veteran names, think he has the potential to post remarkably consistent #'s week in/week out. I like the QB, the offense, and his place in it. Think he has it in him to post a high-teens, low-20's type of season ranking, with a lean to the higher end of that in PPR, I'll take that out of WR2 at 4.10 in a 16 Teamer/PPR.
5.07 Robert Griffin III, QB Redskins -

6.10 Toby Gerhardt, RB Jaguars -

More to follow...
Wanted to let some events unfold before commenting about Griffin/Gerhardt, and the picks that potentially followed...

Griffin III - I felt pretty good as 5.07 arrived, as I wasn't enamored with any of the players selected after I took Hilton at 4.10...as the draft unfolded, I thought I'd be able to wait until Rd 6 to take my 1st QB, but when Brady and Ryan went at 5.04 and 5.06, I figured I'd better move on one, or be left holding my sack. QB at 5.10 was going to cost me an RB2 or WR3. Felt WR was much deeper, so I wasn't as worried about losing ground there. I opted for Griffin because (and I know this may sound silly), I wanted a QB that could supplement the position that taking a QB earlier than I had planned, would effect. I sometimes shy away so hard from Redskins, being a fan, I sometimes hurt myself, but 2014 Griffin feels different. Feeling optimistic about the regime change, and moves that have been made so far, especially the Roberts/Jackson signing and development of Morris and Reed. I think I'm getting the QB that may approach expectations. That means a passing QB that can accumulate RB stats. Good thing I did what I did, because my original plan had me taking Rivers as the lead in a tandem of lesser QB's, and he wound up going 3 picks later.

Gerhardt - Edelman, Gore, Colston and Floyd, I'd have taken any of them if they'd fallen to 6.10. I really hope I don't regret passing on Sproles here, but I really thought I could nab him at 7.07. I don't think there's anything super special about Gerhardt, but I do think he can do everything well enough to be a solid RB2 in a 16-teamer. I'd lost out on all candidates I felt were WR2's that I could have drafted as my WR3, so I went RB figuring I needed to fill in a remaining starter, and Gerhardt's upside at RB2 was better than bona fide WR3's, of which there were plenty remaining.

7.07: Joe Flacco, QB Ravens - Stinkin Ref stunk me with Sproles, and stank me with Terrance Williams, who I would have taken here had he fallen. Pretty nonplussed with the remaining candidates at RB. WR still a pretty deep pool. One QB remaining in my Top 16, figured I'd rather have him supplementing Griffin, and standing in, in case of injury, than allowing one of the Teams with no QB a shot at a QB1, even a low-ranking one. High on the prospects of the Ravens O this year, think Flacco may have his share of weeks logging starter minutes for me - if he's not, then Griff is doing what I expected him to do, and playing out of his mind.

8.10: Jarrett Boykin, WR Packers - Boldin, Bowe, Pierre Thomas gone, and Golden Tate drop, drop, dropping...missed him by one pick. Though he would have made a legit WR3 on his own, without requiring upside...but I will gladly take Boykin as the lead in a committee, and still feel strong at WR3. Think he's more complete than his predecessor, and if an injury strikes, he's a WR1. Packer offense is plenty prolific, and if bye weeks cooperate, I'm only down one of my WR3's when I'm down my RB1.

9.07: Markus Wheaton, WR Steelers - I had a short list of guys I'd have liked to pair with Boykin, and Randle and Stills were the 1st 2 on the list, but Wheaton was a close 3rd. Looking forward to his contributions this season, sans broken finger(s)...he's got the skills, and bringing in a big WR via the draft doesn't affect his expected role in the offense. Additions brought in to play slot, and challenge for a roster spot, but I don't think they're there to challenge for the starting spot opposite Antonio Brown. Like the looks of the running game, and I think that may make for even more opps for the WR.

1.07 Eddie Lacy, RB Packers - Wish Calvin had fallen, of course. Missed by one pick. Love this kid. APOROY, and Coach has been outspoken on Team expecting him to be every down RB in 2014. Did great job carrying load in 2013, w/ no real durability issues. Managed 35 receptions, 1400+ total yards and 11 TD while establishing himself last year. Although there are plenty of mouths to feed in GB, it's still an extremely prolific offense, and with an established role, I'm thinking he's going to up those #'s to 48/1600/12, and I didn't see another RB available that I thought could as likely generate those #'s between the combination of their own talent and the offense they were working within.

2.10 Julius Thomas, TE Broncos - I consider OJT to be a Tier-1 player at his position, none of my Tier-1 guys were left at QB and WR...what's it going to be like in Denver, sans Decker, is the big question. Probably worthy to wonder what the passing game is going to look like sans Moreno as well? Still very prolific, I think that's a sure bet. In transition, I'd like to think Manning will lean on what he knows and trusts, and that's the Thomas' and Welker. I don't think Ball is anywhere near the threat out of the backfield Moreno was, and I don't think enough of Emmanuel Sanders to assume he's going to get a Decker-size piece of the pie, even if he doesn't get hurt. Building on 2013 even modestly, that's a nice piece to build a foundation on in TE2PPR.
3.07 Keenan Allen, WR Chargers - Tough run to watch coming into my 3rd Rounder. Thought one of Nelson, Cobb, Fitzgerald, would fall to me, didn't...while I was pondering the 'usual suspects' group, when I came across K.A, due to the fact that his name kept coming up when I was researching my 1st round pick of Eddie Lacy, with all the 2013 Rookie hype. Have to admit I didn't know as much about him, as I didn't have him on any Teams last year, so I took the opportunity to take a closer look. From the highlights, I didn't realized he had the size he does. Resurgent season by Rivers, probably will see some regression overall in the passing stats this year, but I like the direction I think this kid is headed in, and his place in the offense.

4.10 T.Y. Hilton, WR Colts - Another young'un for me here. Usually I'm more of a vet guy. Adding Nicks to the mix makes for a lot of guys looking for targets, but I like Hilton's potential in a PPR scheme. Doesn't have the size I usually prefer, but some of the other guys available at this point didn't either. Think he has more upside than the veteran names, think he has the potential to post remarkably consistent #'s week in/week out. I like the QB, the offense, and his place in it. Think he has it in him to post a high-teens, low-20's type of season ranking, with a lean to the higher end of that in PPR, I'll take that out of WR2 at 4.10 in a 16 Teamer/PPR.

More to follow...
Wanted to let some events unfold before commenting about Griffin/Gerhardt, and the picks that potentially followed...

Griffin III - I felt pretty good as 5.07 arrived, as I wasn't enamored with any of the players selected after I took Hilton at 4.10...as the draft unfolded, I thought I'd be able to wait until Rd 6 to take my 1st QB, but when Brady and Ryan went at 5.04 and 5.06, I figured I'd better move on one, or be left holding my sack. QB at 5.10 was going to cost me an RB2 or WR3. Felt WR was much deeper, so I wasn't as worried about losing ground there. I opted for Griffin because (and I know this may sound silly), I wanted a QB that could supplement the position that taking a QB earlier than I had planned, would effect. I sometimes shy away so hard from Redskins, being a fan, I sometimes hurt myself, but 2014 Griffin feels different. Feeling optimistic about the regime change, and moves that have been made so far, especially the Roberts/Jackson signing and development of Morris and Reed. I think I'm getting the QB that may approach expectations. That means a passing QB that can accumulate RB stats. Good thing I did what I did, because my original plan had me taking Rivers as the lead in a tandem of lesser QB's, and he wound up going 3 picks later.

Gerhardt - Edelman, Gore, Colston and Floyd, I'd have taken any of them if they'd fallen to 6.10. I really hope I don't regret passing on Sproles here, but I really thought I could nab him at 7.07. I don't think there's anything super special about Gerhardt, but I do think he can do everything well enough to be a solid RB2 in a 16-teamer. I'd lost out on all candidates I felt were WR2's that I could have drafted as my WR3, so I went RB figuring I needed to fill in a remaining starter, and Gerhardt's upside at RB2 was better than bona fide WR3's, of which there were plenty remaining.

7.07: Joe Flacco, QB Ravens - Stinkin Ref stunk me with Sproles, and stank me with Terrance Williams, who I would have taken here had he fallen. Pretty nonplussed with the remaining candidates at RB. WR still a pretty deep pool. One QB remaining in my Top 16, figured I'd rather have him supplementing Griffin, and standing in, in case of injury, than allowing one of the Teams with no QB a shot at a QB1, even a low-ranking one. High on the prospects of the Ravens O this year, think Flacco may have his share of weeks logging starter minutes for me - if he's not, then Griff is doing what I expected him to do, and playing out of his mind.

8.10: Jarrett Boykin, WR Packers - Boldin, Bowe, Pierre Thomas gone, and Golden Tate drop, drop, dropping...missed him by one pick. Though he would have made a legit WR3 on his own, without requiring upside...but I will gladly take Boykin as the lead in a committee, and still feel strong at WR3. Think he's more complete than his predecessor, and if an injury strikes, he's a WR1. Packer offense is plenty prolific, and if bye weeks cooperate, I'm only down one of my WR3's when I'm down my RB1.

9.07: Markus Wheaton, WR Steelers - I had a short list of guys I'd have liked to pair with Boykin, and Randle and Stills were the 1st 2 on the list, but Wheaton was a close 3rd. Looking forward to his contributions this season, sans broken finger(s)...he's got the skills, and bringing in a big WR via the draft doesn't affect his expected role in the offense. Additions brought in to play slot, and challenge for a roster spot, but I don't think they're there to challenge for the starting spot opposite Antonio Brown. Like the looks of the running game, and I think that may make for even more opps for the WR.
When I was looking at QBs, I was shocked just how pathetic Flacco has been…and consistently pathetic to boot. The Gerhart pick kind of surprised me. While probably safe production, you lost some ground to some guys here. Boykin and Wheaton are probably interchangeable with a lot of guys selected around here, but I do feel better about them actually producing then most of those picks. Boykin will do very well for you in this format. WR is a little scary in general this year with the great rookie class coming out. I suspect our PDSL teams will do a little better than our SSL teams as we'll get blinded by the shiny new toys.

5.16 Pictus Cat Kaepernick, Colin SFO QB

7.16 Pictus Cat Bradford, Sam STL QB

10.01 Pictus Cat Manziel, Johnny ROOK QB

Two with a job. Kaps crime details seem a little goofy. I'm taking the under on missing any time because of it...I also drafted Hernandez in last years SSL. Added Johnny Football My 3rd QB has upside and could crack in a few weeks.

3.16 Pictus Cat Mathews, Ryan SDC RB

6.01 Pictus Cat Bell, Joique DET RB

8.01 Pictus Cat Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

18.01 Pictus Cat Seastrunk, Lache FA RB ®

Mathews has a hold of the job. The other RBs in SDs stables are a concern for some fantasy owners, but the flip side is motivation for Mathews. Color me half full. Bell will produce some stats with the upside of who gets hurt first in DET. Pierre may find some more targets vacated by Sproles.

1.16 Pictus Cat Jones, Julio ATL WR

2.01 Pictus Cat Marshall, Brandon CHI WR

9.16 Pictus Cat Steve Johnson WR BUF

13.16 Pictus Cat Nate Washington WR TEN

14.01 Pictus Cat Vincent Brown WR SD

17.16 Pictus Cat Moore, Lance PIT WR

Julio becomes a bigger part of the offense as the aged fade. Cutler telegraphs his passes, so he requires WRs that can bail him out. Enter the beast. Waiting for Johnson to break out as the #1 in Buffalo. At least they are trying to add more weapons to get some defensive focus off him.

4.01 Pictus Cat Pitta, Dennis BAL TE

11.16 Pictus Cat Wright, Timothy TB TE

Productive TE with more weapons on offense to get him more on an island.

15.16 Nick Novak PK SDC

12.01 Pictus Cat Denver Broncos DST

16.01 Pictus Cat Philadelphia Eagles DST

RB cerebrus, QB and TE should churn mid #s. Tonight's schedule may sway which way I go from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
5.16 Pictus Cat Kaepernick, Colin SFO QB

7.16 Pictus Cat Bradford, Sam STL QB

10.01 Pictus Cat Manziel, Johnny ROOK QB

Two with a job. Kaps crime details seem a little goofy. I'm taking the under on missing any time because of it...I also drafted Hernandez in last years SSL.

3.16 Pictus Cat Mathews, Ryan SDC RB

6.01 Pictus Cat Bell, Joique DET RB

8.01 Pictus Cat Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Mathews has a hold of the job. The other RBs in SDs stables are a concern for some fantasy owners, but the flip side is motivation for Mathews. Color me half full. Bell will produce some stats with the upside of who gets hurt first in DET. Pierre may find some more targets vacated by Sproles.

1.16 Pictus Cat Jones, Julio ATL WR

2.01 Pictus Cat Marshall, Brandon CHI WR

9.16 Pictus Cat Steve Johnson WR BUF

Julio becomes a bigger part of the offense as the aged fade. Cutler telegraphs his passes, so he requires WRs that can bail him out. Enter the beast.

4.01 Pictus Cat Pitta, Dennis BAL TE

Productive TE with more weapons on offense to get him more on an island.

Overall, balanced so far while I build a WR 3 committee. Out of the no QB 2 trap. RB cerebrus, QB and TE should churn mid #s.
Added Johnny Football and Stevie Johnson. My 3rd QB has upside and could crack in a few weeks. Waiting for Johnson to break out as the #1 in Buffalo. At least they are trying to add more weapons to get some defensive focus off him.
I really think Johnny Football was a bad pick. I don't see going 3 deep at QB when you already had solid QBs in place being a good strategy when you only had 3 WRs and 1 TE.

I understand what you're saying Bass. I planned on going three QBs and didn't like what is going at TE & WR during this time. Manziel is a QB going about here and has upside more than what is left. Three seems like an acceptable strategy in a 20 round unknown byes. I'm no genius though.

I understand what you're saying Bass. I planned on going three QBs and didn't like what is going at TE & WR during this time. Manziel is a QB going about here and has upside more than what is left. Three seems like an acceptable strategy in a 20 round unknown byes. I'm no genius though.
Will be interesting to see who you pick later that you think is similar in value. Cook would have been a good pick. personally i think 3 deep at TE would have been better. i really like your Johnson pick.

5.10 74. FUBAR Rivers, Philip SDC QB

There are a few QBs who will fall that I like enough to be my #2 QB, though frankly I had planned on taking Manuel or Locker with pick 8.07

2.07 23. FUBAR Bernard, Giovani CIN RB

8.07 119. FUBAR Hyde, Carlos ??? RB

second rookie off the board. Carlos has skills, just have to hope he lands in a decent situation this year. His upside was too big to pass here IMO.

1.10 10. FUBAR Gordon, Josh CLE WR

3.10 42. FUBAR Harvin, Percy SEA WR

6.07 87. FUBAR Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR

7.10 106. FUBAR Sanders, Emmanuel DEN WR

Really like this group. Sanders will probably outscore Maclin but maybe with more variance. He did well enough last year with Ben, he should score touchdowns with Peyton.

4.07 55. FUBAR Rudolph, Kyle MIN TE

Will have to see, but I suspect one of the current tier of TEs will fall to me.

More risk than I'd usually like, but I think the WRs will keep me alive for a while.
Feel like I've been behind the curve on the last two uninspired but necessary picks.

First, Schaub was simply the best of the leftover QBs aside from maybe the rookies but I tend to avoid rookie QBs in redraft leagues.

Then "Not-Jimmy" Graham is again the best (IMO) of a leftover group of TEs unlikely to do much. Can't call Garrett a safe-play but he doesn't seem to provide a whole lot of upside either. Don't really like this team right now. Maybe if I had gone with Cook at 9.10 and whatever QB had fallen to 10.07 I'd feel slightly better about this team, but that doesn't seem much better. Might just be the slot, but I liked my WSL team a lot more.

I would have taken Kelce over Manziel, but not GG. I agree with FUBAR on being uninspired by him with his coach and QB leaving.

Was hoping Stevie or Jennings would be around for me but it was not to be. I Gave some thought to Seattle who went right after, but the pickins at WR aren't going to get any better the longer you wait.

Hey Pictus...popping in from another draft. Bass' thought is exactly what I was thinking...In fact, I like the Manziel pick, but in hindsight would have skipped Bradford for a guy like Maclin. Imagine him on your team instead of Bradford.

NOTE: This is coming from the guy with Tannehill as his QB1 in PDSL 1...lol.

Hey Pictus...popping in from another draft. Bass' thought is exactly what I was thinking...In fact, I like the Manziel pick, but in hindsight would have skipped Bradford for a guy like Maclin. Imagine him on your team instead of Bradford.

Maclin went 87, Bradford 112. WRs are going early here or late there. I've had WR and TE targets like Bowe and Kelce and others, just didn't pan out. Hard to track our draft without looking at our well tracked MFL.

Thank you all for the feedback. Good stuff.

are people really that high on Maclin's return....?....I get the whole Chip Kelly offense thing.....but I guess I'm a little cautious on that one.....his price has been way too high for me in these...

are people really that high on Maclin's return....?....I get the whole Chip Kelly offense thing.....but I guess I'm a little cautious on that one.....his price has been way too high for me in these...
I've liked Maclin since his days at Mizzou, add to that Kelly's offense and I probably overrate him as I get him in most leagues.

Geez, sniped on Graham and Stewart by just a few picks each. Didn't care that much about the TE, but really wanted Stewart. Should've taken him a round earlier. This is just not my day.

I know the Panthers are a mess offensively with no logical carry breakdown for the RBs, but both Williams and Stewart seem to be extremely undervalued.

After taking Hunter, I had planned on Ivory or Stewart in the 11th.

On Maclin....I'm not sure why he is going over Cooper in these. He's been a staple on the weekly injury list since 2010.

1.03 Peyton Manning QB DEN

2.14 Montee Ball RB DEN

6.14 Darren Sproles RB PHI

9.03 Fred Jackson RB BUF

Super boring pick here, but sometimes you need these boring guys. Wanted to go some different directions, but thought Jackson offered a little stability to my RB's here. He will be on the field, Spiller just doesn't seem to have that bell cow make up we all want him to have. Freddy will get some love in general plus probably most of the 3rd down and GL love. Expecting him to sniff what he posted last year is a reach, but I liked the fact that PT is almost assured here. Spiller seems to get dinged and BUF has no problem letting Fred be the lead guy if need be. Wanted no part of the OAK mess at RB. I will say I REALLY hated passing on what I thought was some pretty decent WR value here. I know a lot of people check the other drafts as kind of a guide, I really don't....don't get me wrong, I take a peek, but I don't really let it affect who I pick or what round/value I see, it's mostly to see who I think has a chance of falling cause other people use them as a guide, cause I really disagree with some of the stuff going on in some of the other drafts. And some of these drafts have been really different, which is kind of cool to see. I also hate the fact that MFL has the ADP feature. Makes it too easy for some.

4.14 DeSean Jackson WR WAS

5.03 Roddy White WR ATL

7.03 Terrance Williams WR DAL

8.14 Marvin Jones WR CIN

With the foundation pretty much set thru 7, it was time to keep the foot on the gas with a playmaker in this bball format. They are gonna run more in CIN, blah blah blah. Well it's the NFL and you are gonna pass too. Things change when/if you fall behind, etc. Jones is a down the field type playmaker and will make Sanu an afterthought. Physical skills to go get the ball which makes him an option in red zone. Green demands coverage. That seems to be a theme with my WR's (the other guy demands coverage....hmmmmm). Really wanted him here, glad he fell.

10.14 A A Ron Dobson WR NE

Felt he offered the most upside left on my big board. Of the guys left at WR he seemed to be the one that may be in the best situation that could see him significantly outperforming his ADP. Was dinged last year so hopefully healthy and ready to roll. Saw a few glimpses of his potential, I'll take a possible starter in NE as my WR5. Edelman and Amendola doing some work underneath/middle....A A Ron is your more prototypical WR.....go make a play.

11.03 Steve Smith WR BAL

Really had no intention of going WR here and this may really be overkill at this point, but I saw Smith as too good to pass up here. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on probably my last WR. None of the RB's were must haves, especially with CJ2K officially decreasing Ivory's value. I like a couple guys who I have a feeling will drop (based on peeking) to add to my RB group. QB2 and TE2 are an afterthought at this point and I made a commitment to stay with my load up on WR/RB strategy even though I was tempted to go DST here. I zigged and zagged in some of the other drafts but stuck to my guns here. Not sure if anybody else does this, but sometimes when I draft a player, Smith in this case, I actually picture them on my TV in their new location, etc. And when I did that, I saw Flacco hooking up quite often with S. Smith, with T. Smith running windsprints down the field on the other side. Stevie gets his 11 yard catch, gives the first down signal, then chest bumps and gets in the grill of whatever poor chap got the unlucky assignment of covering him that day. He jaws on his way back to the huddle and the BAL crowd, who loves this kind of ####, is going crazy. Rinse and repeat. I should probably pass this kind of #### on to Dodds. Stevie might have a little chip on his shoulder, even more than he already does, and like Jackson he may want the ball a ton so he can give the finger to CAR and whoever else is watching.

3.03 Jason Witten TE DAL

Will navigate the pending DST and PK runs, hoping to mix in a few guys here or there. Definitely some RB's I still like and some TE's I would be ok with as TE2, they should fall. So far....I'll take it.

BroadwayG said:
On Maclin....I'm not sure why he is going over Cooper in these. He's been a staple on the weekly injury list since 2010.
Not including last year, the guy has missed 4 games in 3 years.

BroadwayG said:
2010 was his one healthy year. Since then he's had hamstring issues, knee issues, back issues, shoulder issues, hip issues, and some mystery illness that I don't think was every publicly announced what it was.

I'm not saying he's a zero, just that I'm surprised he's going ahead of Cooper.

BroadwayG said:
2010 was his one healthy year. Since then he's had hamstring issues, knee issues, back issues, shoulder issues, hip issues, and some mystery illness that I don't think was every publicly announced what it was.

He played through most of those dings. He's a risky player, don't get me wrong. But I think his potential is worth the risk.

So I took a player already taken.

I posted my replacement.

I realized there was a predraft.

I entered some odd picks for me.

The predraft selected the replacement player I replaced, but not gotten assuming I would be skipped again and the predraft would have selected him.

I posted my second repick.

Make sense.

BroadwayG said:

Maclin is an above-average #2 WR. Smaller sample size on Cooper, but I think he has the tools to be an above-average #2 as well.

Neither one of them have the physical skillset to be a true #1 IMO. But given Chip's offensive system, I think we'll look back on both of them representing good value where they've been going in these.

BroadwayG said:

I chose Maclin in PDSL 1 over Cooper because Cooper basically put up pre-Kelly Maclin numbers last year...I just think Maclin will put up better numbers in this more high-powered offense, therefor chose him first.

Maclin went 87, Bradford 112. WRs are going early here or late there. I've had WR and TE targets like Bowe and Kelce and others, just didn't pan out. Hard to track our draft without looking at our well tracked MFL.

Thank you all for the feedback. Good stuff.
Gotcha (yeah noticed it looks a little different over here with the MFL draft). Wow, he did go a few rounds earlier in this draft than mine.

Comments on my last few picks

QB: Dalton, Hoyer - Went into this draft planning to wait on QB with hopes of getting Hoyer later. I think he wins the job in Cleveland and picks up where he left off last year.

RB: McCoy, Rice, Pierce, Robinson - Liked what I saw last year from Robinson. Probably would have been better off with Stewart but wanted some upside from my 4th RB

WR: Cobb, Patterson, Blackmon, Stills, Ja Jones - Torn on the Jones pick. Consider Steve Smith and Baldwin at that time. Settled on Jones due to his TD potential.

TE: Cameron

D: Buffalo - Being on the end, felt compelled to take a D earlier enough that my hand wasn't forced later.

More to follow...

10.10: DeAngelo Williams, RB Panthers - Really like the Sankey kid, and thought he'd fall to me here. I'm a complete slut for DA Williams, He's one of those guys I've developed a complex about similar to Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football. He just has so much potential, but it may go completely unrealized. Even if he starts generating stats, he's not a special PPR type. RB2 is definitely a soft spot for me, but you have to be soft somewhere, I guess. Have some plans to address that, we'll see how it works out.

11.07: Dex McCluster, RB/WR Titans - Shouldn't this guy be listed as a RB? I waited until Chris Johnson was officially gone before pulling the trigger, and I fully expect Titans to address RB in the Draft, but this guy has real potential. Biggest issue is that if he gets the touches, how long can he stay healthy? I think the Titans will get him in the mix enough, but, ultimately, just how special is the Titans aggregate offense going to be? There's the rub. Really though James Jones or Steve Smith would fall to me, and once they were off the board, I flirted with the idea of pairing up DAW and Johnny Stewart, but it wasn't to be. Given Gerhardt and DAW, if McC winds up listed as RB, he might crack the starting lineup. and that's not necessarily a good thing, just fallout from PPR. If he remains a WR, I probably drafted him too early. Really hope passing on Blount was a good idea, I really like that guy, and his situation in Pittsburgh.

12.10: Roy Helu, RB Redskins - not saying Helu is Gio Bernard, or Alfred Morris is BJGE, but what if Jay Gruden starts toying around with his shiny new pieces and sees some things he likes? Some insurance if McC remains listed as WR. Finally a piece of my RB2BC I'm excited about. PPR hound. Stay healthy, Helu! Lots of potential here if you do!

13.07: D/ST Patriots - The Patriots seem to run in cycles. I'm gambling that based on recent seasons, this is an 'up' year for the Pats D - I think there are plenty of guys motivated to make a name for themselves in this crew. I want an aggressive D. I also want a D paired up with an offense that can force the opponents' offense to take risks. I think this is a year B&B apply some heat, and most opponents are going to be playing from behind. Broadway sniped me on Kerley. Had he made it one more pick, I would have waited a round on D/ST to add him to my RB3BC. Really started loving that kid last year. Seems like the kind of playmaker that could riff with Vick.

Comments on my last few picks

QB: Dalton, Hoyer - Went into this draft planning to wait on QB with hopes of getting Hoyer later. I think he wins the job in Cleveland and picks up where he left off last year.
was hoping Hoyer would fall like he did in WSL.

QB: Rivers / Scaub

- Should be a fairly solid / average QB duo if Schaub can bounce back.

RB: Gio, Hyde, BJGE

- I think Gio is in for a big year but took Law Firm to hedge that bet as my 2nd RB is a big risk just for not knowing where he will play. Hyde could have a big rookie year, I think he'll be a workhorse even as a rookie. But more risk with rookies of course.

WR: Gordon, Harvin, Maclin, Sanders, Woods

- Perhaps my favorite group of receivers I've drafted in these. Gordon should be top 5, Harvin could be as well if he stays healthy. Sanders will have some big games with Peyton. Although some disagree, I think Maclin will have a nice year, WR2 type overall. Woods is the wildcard but seemed to mesh with Manuel somewhat as rookies and they both should develop. If I go far, it will likely be due to this group.

TE: Rudolph, GGraham

- Rudy should do well this year with better QB play, but Patterson and Jennings will likely be the top targets. Not so sure about Graham or anyone in Houston other than AJ.

D: Rams

- With Quinn and Long and a great LB group, this should be a fairly high scoring D.

1.03 Peyton Manning QB1 DEN

2.14 Montee Ball RB14 DEN
6.14 Darren Sproles RB30 PHI
9.03 Fred Jackson RB37 BUF

12.14 Knile Davis RB54 KC

It was really really late when I made this pick and I was completely hammered. From what I do remember, I knew I was planning on going with at least one RB at this turn. I had every intention of taking Donald Brown here, but then the "that's too boring, let's #### with somebody else cause I'm drunk" side of the Ref kicked in. Knew Mr. I was sitting there behind me with two picks and at some point he was probably going to try and handcuff Charles. Most of the RB's left were about the same to me so thinking that Mr I would really give a #### I guess made me pull the trigger. Anyway, Davis has some game and having watched every Chief game I know that Charles takes a beating and he doesn't necessarily have the frame to withstand it. Davis should see some touches. RB depth added.

13.03 Donald Brown RB56 SD

Sticking to the plan of loading up on RB/WR in this part of the draft I add my 5th RB. Brown looked really good last year and while the signing in SD seemed a little strange, I don't think he was brought in merely as depth. Ronnie Brown is gone, so it's Mathews/Woodhead/D. Brown. Brown will see the field and should Mathews go down he probably takes over primary RB duties. Either way he should see some series here and there.

4.14 DeSean Jackson WR23 WAS
5.03 Roddy White WR26 ATL
7.03 Terrance Williams WR36 DAL
8.14 Marvin Jones WR49 CIN
10.14 Aaron Dobson WR57 NE
11.03 Steve Smith WR61 BAL

3.03 Jason Witten TE6 DAL

Pretty much set and just need to fill the rest.

Thanks to those around me grabbing those MFL picks for me.... Was on a cruise with limited WIFI...

Probably shouldn't have joined but, the addiction is too stong....

I'm back tho to grab K's and D's.... :thumbup:

Stinkin Ref said:
12.14 Knile Davis RB KC

It was really really late when I made this pick and I was completely hammered. From what I do remember, I knew I was planning on going with at least one RB at this turn. I had every intention of taking Donald Brown here, but then the "that's too boring, let's #### with somebody else cause I'm drunk" side of the Ref kicked in. Knew Mr. I was sitting there behind me with two picks and at some point he was probably going to try and handcuff Charles. Most of the RB's left were about the same to me so thinking that Mr I would really give a #### I guess made me pull the trigger. Anyway, Davis has some game and having watched every Chief game I know that Charles takes a beating and he doesn't necessarily have the frame to withstand it. Davis should see some touches. RB depth added.
:lmao: Moral of the story, kids, don't take this #### too seriously!

FWIW, I probably would have tried to pick up Davis as a handcuff, but not until this upcoming turn, if even then ... part of me questions whether it's really even worth the effort to handcuff your big dogs in this format. With no roster moves you're pretty much hosed if your top-3 stud goes down anyway, so why not use those 11th-15th rounders on low-percentage plays with really high upside instead? Though I guess it's impossible to answer without going back through the list of past champions and see how many overcame an injury to their 1st-rounder and how they managed to do it.

Locker, Jake TEN QB (Q) 118.30 0 8.06 Stafford, Matthew DET QB 352.40 0 3.11 Johnson, Chris NYJ RB (P) 244.20 0 4.06 McFadden, Darren OAK RB 100.50 0 9.11 Richardson, Trent IND RB (P) 146.90 0 5.11 Rodgers, Jacquizz ATL RB 143.40 0 12.06 Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR 154.30 0 7.11 Brown, Marlon BAL WR 145.20 0 14.06 Decker, Eric NYJ WR 281.80 0 6.06 Thomas, Demaryius DEN WR (P) 319.00 0 1.11 Davis, Vernon SFO TE 241.00 0 2.06 Fauria, Joseph DET TE 91.70 0 10.06 Chiefs, Kansas City KCC Def 208.00 0 11.11 Lions, Detroit DET Def 116.00 0 13.11 14 Total Players I am liking this team, unless bye weeks intervene. Should be some way to compensate for that in PDSL, but it is a survivor league.

Stafford will be go to guy, and has better WR2 than in a long time, Calvin is still Calvin, strong RB corps to keep chains moving and Bush is dynamic PPR back. A strong TE duo, and they may pick a first day WR to add to the talent pool. Hard to beat that. Locker has the job, and they will rely on air game with CJ2K gone.

I like my RBs, three with starting jobs, and if DMac stays healthy, and TRich gets back to his form with the Browns, then I am solid. CJ2K should be the primary back in the Jets, who with Vick, should be able to point some points on the board. Jaquizz is a nice PPR fill, and if SJax starts to show age/wear and tear, may pick up more work.

WR are a solid core with three (for now) WR1. Decker hopefully will be the WR2 role he does much better in if Jets get a first round WR, Bowe is good, but KC offense did not utilize him much. With Dexter gone, maybe he will get more targets. DThomas, automatic. Marlon Brown is interesting, did well when Jones was out, and the Torrey Smith, 2 TE, Rice components should give him opportunities on second reads. Not sure now that Jones is healthy how the number of plays will work out.

TE - I am a big VDavis fan and was ecstatic to get him even if a reach. Fauria had a lot of red zone catches and is healthy. I think he will be the receiving TE to Pettigrew as the blocker.

D - 2 teams and fairly strong ones.

I could beef up WR right now, and likely will.

QB
4.15 - N. Foles, PHI
8.15 - M. Vick, NYJ

RB
1.02 - J. Charles, KC
2.15 - R. Bush, DET
9.02 - M. Jones-Drew, OAK
12.15 - J. Hill, ROOK

WR
3.02 - J. Nelson, GB
5.02 - K. Wright, TEN
10.15 - R. Streater, OAK
11.02 - J. Jernigan, NYG

TE
6.15 - M. Bennett, CHI
7.02 - C. Clay, MIA

DST
13.02 - Cardinals, ARZ

Spent the 10/11 turn throwing the first of many darts at my WR3 position. I debated Streater vs. James Jones for a few minutes but, between the two, while I think Jones may be more consistent, Streater clearly has the higher ceiling. The Raiders are shopping Denarius Moore which tells me they're committing to developing this kid instead, and even a washed-up Schaub (which I don't buy; I think their offense will really surprise people in '14) is better for the Raiders' air attack than last year's rotating collection of nobodies.

Jernigan's another WR with lots of upside and home-run potential ... but with the added advantage of a Pro Bowler in Cruz to take away deep coverage, especially if the Giants move Cruz to the outside and let Jernigan run free in the slot. Manning isn't going anywhere in NY and reversion to the mean alone should provide another 8-10 TDs to go around next season, of which I think Jernigan will get his share. I don't expect a 1,000-yard season, but big scores on a handful of weeks out of my WR4 is fine by me.

I wrote in the draft thread that Hill was the first rook I've drafted in one of these ... not exactly, you would have think I'd have remembered taking Andre Ellington last year of all people :doh: Anyway, what I saw of Hill in college impressed me, and while I don't expect him to be more than a late-2nd round pick, my hope is that he'll go somewhere like the Titans or Browns where he can pick up some immediate GL opportunities and maybe work his way into a time-share.

Wasn't planning to target a D/ST this early, but had to jump as the alternative was crossing my fingers and waiting 28 more picks, and I think the Cards have got just as good a chance as any other squad to finish top-5. I can understand why 'Zona fell as they face a who's who of high-scoring offenses this year, but since we don't get docked for points and yards against I'm fine riding with this unit.

Still thin at WR but you have to be thin somewhere in these bad boys, and I'm pretty happy with my depth everywhere else.

Locker, Jake TEN QB (Q) 118.30 0 8.06 Stafford, Matthew DET QB 352.40 0 3.11 Johnson, Chris NYJ RB (P) 244.20 0 4.06 McFadden, Darren OAK RB 100.50 0 9.11 Richardson, Trent IND RB (P) 146.90 0 5.11 Rodgers, Jacquizz ATL RB 143.40 0 12.06 Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR 154.30 0 7.11 Brown, Marlon BAL WR 145.20 0 14.06 Decker, Eric NYJ WR 281.80 0 6.06 Thomas, Demaryius DEN WR (P) 319.00 0 1.11 Davis, Vernon SFO TE 241.00 0 2.06 Fauria, Joseph DET TE 91.70 0 10.06 Chiefs, Kansas City KCC Def 208.00 0 11.11 Lions, Detroit DET Def 116.00 0 13.11 14 Total Players

I am liking this team, unless bye weeks intervene. Should be some way to compensate for that in PDSL, but it is a survivor league.

Stafford will be go to guy, and has better WR2 than in a long time, Calvin is still Calvin, strong RB corps to keep chains moving and Bush is dynamic PPR back. A strong TE duo, and they may pick a first day WR to add to the talent pool. Hard to beat that. Locker has the job, and they will rely on air game with CJ2K gone.

I like my RBs, three with starting jobs, and if DMac stays healthy, and TRich gets back to his form with the Browns, then I am solid. CJ2K should be the primary back in the Jets, who with Vick, should be able to point some points on the board. Jaquizz is a nice PPR fill, and if SJax starts to show age/wear and tear, may pick up more work.

WR are a solid core with three (for now) WR1. Decker hopefully will be the WR2 role he does much better in if Jets get a first round WR, Bowe is good, but KC offense did not utilize him much. With Dexter gone, maybe he will get more targets. DThomas, automatic. Marlon Brown is interesting, did well when Jones was out, and the Torrey Smith, 2 TE, Rice components should give him opportunities on second reads. Not sure now that Jones is healthy how the number of plays will work out.

TE - I am a big VDavis fan and was ecstatic to get him even if a reach. Fauria had a lot of red zone catches and is healthy. I think he will be the receiving TE to Pettigrew as the blocker.

D - 2 teams and fairly strong ones.

I could beef up WR right now, and likely will.
I like Stafford, D. Thomas, and V. Davis.....

your 3 starting RB's don't really scream confidence, none of us will be real surprised if they aren't the lead backs on their respective teams...your writeup on Marlon Brown didn't seem to factor in the signing of Steve Smith which may have more of an affect than the other things you mentioned....Decker and Bowe can disappear where they are at....some nice "names" for sure....but let's see

Red

How do feel about M Brown's prospects with a healthy Pitta, SSmith, TSmith and others? Is Flacco's pie big enough?

QB
4.15 - N. Foles, PHI
8.15 - M. Vick, NYJ

RB
1.02 - J. Charles, KC
2.15 - R. Bush, DET
12.15 - J. Hill, ROOK

WR
3.02 - J. Nelson, GB
5.02 - K. Wright, TEN
10.15 - R. Streater, OAK
11.02 - J. Jernigan, NYG

TE
6.15 - M. Bennett, CHI
7.02 - C. Clay, MIA

DST
13.02 - Cardinals, ARZ

Spent the 10/11 turn throwing the first of many darts at my WR3 position. I debated Streater vs. James Jones for a few minutes but, between the two, while I think Jones may be more consistent, Streater clearly has the higher ceiling. The Raiders are shopping Denarius Moore which tells me they're committing to developing this kid instead, and even a washed-up Schaub (which I don't buy; I think their offense will really surprise people in '14) is better for the Raiders' air attack than last year's rotating collection of nobodies.

Jernigan's another WR with lots of upside and home-run potential ... but with the added advantage of a Pro Bowler in Cruz to take away deep coverage, especially if the Giants move Cruz to the outside and let Jernigan run free in the slot. Manning isn't going anywhere in NY and reversion to the mean alone should provide another 8-10 TDs to go around next season, of which I think Jernigan will get his share. I don't expect a 1,000-yard season, but big scores on a handful of weeks out of my WR4 is fine by me.

I wrote in the draft thread that Hill was the first rook I've drafted in one of these ... not exactly, you would have think I'd have remembered taking Andre Ellington last year of all people :doh: Anyway, what I saw of Hill in college impressed me, and while I don't expect him to be more than a late-2nd round pick, my hope is that he'll go somewhere like the Titans or Browns where he can pick up some immediate GL opportunities and maybe work his way into a time-share.

Wasn't planning to target a D/ST this early, but had to jump as the alternative was crossing my fingers and waiting 28 more picks, and I think the Cards have got just as good a chance as any other squad to finish top-5. I can understand why 'Zona fell as they face a who's who of high-scoring offenses this year, but since we don't get docked for points and yards against I'm fine riding with this unit.

Still thin at WR but you have to be thin somewhere in these bad boys, and I'm pretty happy with my depth everywhere else.
I like your QB combo and it didn't cost you much....and your top 3 RB's should keep you in the mix....not a fan of your WR outside of Jordy....not sure why I feel like a Kendall Wright hater, but man I just don't see it....I think there is a real chance that his REC's last year are going to be his career high and he will not live up to this draft spot, that pick really surprised me for some reason....as did doubling up on the TE's where you did and who with....those were 2 pretty pivitol picks, as was your 5th, and I'm just not sure you got real good value there....I could see pulling the trigger on one of them (TE), but looking at the WR that were left on the board when your 7th rounder came up, I think I would have liked this team much better with one of them paired with Bennett at that turn and then another TE later....Jernigan better pay off for you, and I'm not sure how the WR's in OAK will shake out, especially if they take Watkins....

QB
4.15 - N. Foles, PHI
8.15 - M. Vick, NYJ

RB
1.02 - J. Charles, KC
2.15 - R. Bush, DET
12.15 - J. Hill, ROOK

WR
3.02 - J. Nelson, GB
5.02 - K. Wright, TEN
10.15 - R. Streater, OAK
11.02 - J. Jernigan, NYG

TE
6.15 - M. Bennett, CHI
7.02 - C. Clay, MIA

DST
13.02 - Cardinals, ARZ
I like your QB combo and it didn't cost you much....and your top 3 RB's should keep you in the mix....not a fan of your WR outside of Jordy....not sure why I feel like a Kendall Wright hater, but man I just don't see it....I think there is a real chance that his REC's last year are going to be his career high and he will not live up to this draft spot, that pick really surprised me for some reason....as did doubling up on the TE's where you did and who with....those were 2 pretty pivitol picks, as was your 5th, and I'm just not sure you got real good value there....I could see pulling the trigger on one of them (TE), but looking at the WR that were left on the board when your 7th rounder came up, I think I would have liked this team much better with one of them paired with Bennett at that turn and then another TE later....Jernigan better pay off for you, and I'm not sure how the WR's in OAK will shake out, especially if they take Watkins....
Fair enough, thanks for the thoughts. My thinking behind TE/TE there was that there were at least a dozen WRs left in the next tier and I didn't see any one of them as head and shoulders above the rest, at least not when compared to the difference between Clay and the TEs that would be there for me at 8.15 and beyond, because I don't trust Bennett as a go-to TE1. If I knew every one of those WRs would've been gone I would probably have grabbed T. Williams there and taken my chances with a guy like Kelce or Fleener later on. Even then though, my team at this stage probably looks like:

Foles, Vick

Charles, Bush, J-Stew, Hill

Nelson, Wright, T-Will, Streater

Bennett, Kelce

... which to me looks like a big step down at RB3 and a decent step down at TE2 in exchange for a significant step up at WR3. Is that tradeoff worth it? Maybe, don't really know.

As far as Wright goes, I got him at WR25, and he finished WR20 in this format last year despite only scoring 2 TDs. Historically, TDs are a lot more random and mean-reverting than receptions and yards ... so I see it being a lot more likely that he winds up with 7-8 TD this year than that his receptions and yards drop to meet his TD total. Even if his raw output comes down, and it might, a line like 80/960/7 still gives him more fantasy points than 94/1080/2 did last year. I don't think Wright's any sort of transcendent talent, but do think he'll be undervalued this year for that reason.

QB
4.15 - N. Foles, PHI
8.15 - M. Vick, NYJ

RB
1.02 - J. Charles, KC
2.15 - R. Bush, DET
12.15 - J. Hill, ROOK

WR
3.02 - J. Nelson, GB
5.02 - K. Wright, TEN
10.15 - R. Streater, OAK
11.02 - J. Jernigan, NYG

TE
6.15 - M. Bennett, CHI
7.02 - C. Clay, MIA

DST
13.02 - Cardinals, ARZ
Fair enough, thanks for the thoughts. My thinking behind TE/TE there was that there were at least a dozen WRs left in the next tier and I didn't see any one of them as head and shoulders above the rest, at least not when compared to the difference between Clay and the TEs that would be there for me at 8.15 and beyond, because I don't trust Bennett as a go-to TE1. If I knew every one of those WRs would've been gone I would probably have grabbed T. Williams there and taken my chances with a guy like Kelce or Fleener later on. Even then though, my team at this stage probably looks like:

Foles, Vick

Charles, Bush, J-Stew, Hill

Nelson, Wright, T-Will, Streater

Bennett, Kelce

... which to me looks like a big step down at RB3 and a decent step down at TE2 in exchange for a significant step up at WR3. Is that tradeoff worth it? Maybe, don't really know.

As far as Wright goes, I got him at WR25, and he finished WR20 in this format last year despite only scoring 2 TDs. Historically, TDs are a lot more random and mean-reverting than receptions and yards ... so I see it being a lot more likely that he winds up with 7-8 TD this year than that his receptions and yards drop to meet his TD total. Even if his raw output comes down, and it might, a line like 80/960/7 still gives him more fantasy points than 94/1080/2 did last year. I don't think Wright's any sort of transcendent talent, but do think he'll be undervalued this year for that reason.
maybe it has more to do with philosophy than anything else....2 of your first 8 picks are bench players.....3 of first 9...third of your team...and I think that is the decision owners have to make sometimes in these when pulling the trigger on QB2 TE2 and RB3....basically do you want a bench player or a starter....I realize it's not that simple since this is best ball and bye weeks, etc, but it is what it is.....I can understand QB2 a little more than TE2 I guess, but I found your comment about Bennett interesting....that you don't trust him as a TE1.....sucks to say that about such a high pick....and then also having to "back it up" with another high pick....kind of feeds into the idea a little in these of maybe getting a top TE early that you don't feel like you have to "back up" so early....especially in 2 PPR TE...I think it was risky to assume one of the WR you wanted would make it back to you and I'm not sure "getting" Clay was worth the price....

a WR3 in the 7th probably scores more for you throughout the season then Clay over Bennett....

oh....and in your scenerio above....you could still have MJD in the 9th....so no dropoff at RB3...Williams instead of Clay in 7th....Kelce in 8th....MJD 9th....

5.06 Matt Ryan

6.11 Jay Cutler

3.06 Andre Ellington

4.11 Ben Tate

11.06 Chris Ivory

1.06 Calvin Johnson

2.11 Alshon Jeffry

8.11 Rueben Randle

10.11 Justin Hunter

13.06 Jeremy Kerley

7.06 Delanie Walker

9.06 Dwayne Allen

12.11 Jermaine Gresham

14.11 Packers Def
Trying to maintain a decent balance of risk/reward the past few rounds. Ivory/Kerley/Gresham filling the slots for low risk points for bye weeks, Hunter a swing for the fences.

Feeling pretty good so far going into the Def/K dance. QB should be well above average, we'll see if my mancrush on Ellington is misplaced. I'll need to be right if Tate catches the injury bug again. I've got a huge dropoff at WR3. Looking back I should have went with Emmanuelle in the 7th and took major lumps at TE, where I am behind the curve anyway.

PLAYER 2013 YTD PTS BYE DRAFTED
Romo, Tony DAL QB (P) 311.20 0 6.08
Wilson, Russell SEA QB 322.75 0 5.09

Greene, Shonn TEN RB 63.40 0 10.08
Jackson, Steven ATL RB 148.30 0 4.08
Vereen, Shane NEP RB 134.50 0 3.09
Wilson, David NYG RB (Q) 23.40 0 11.09

Bailey, Stedman STL WR 48.90 0 14.08
Boldin, Anquan SFO WR 246.00 0 7.09
Brown, Antonio PIT WR 315.05 0 2.08
Goodwin, Marquise BUF WR 64.60 0 13.09
Green, A.J. CIN WR 306.60 0 1.09

Fleener, Coby IND TE 166.80 0 9.09
Green, Ladarius SDC TE 81.10 0 8.08

Bengals, Cincinnati CIN Def 170.00 0 12.08

this one got away from me.

maybe it has more to do with philosophy than anything else....2 of your first 8 picks are bench players.....3 of first 9...third of your team...and I think that is the decision owners have to make sometimes in these when pulling the trigger on QB2 TE2 and RB3....basically do you want a bench player or a starter....I realize it's not that simple since this is best ball and bye weeks, etc, but it is what it is.....I can understand QB2 a little more than TE2 I guess, but I found your comment about Bennett interesting....that you don't trust him as a TE1.....sucks to say that about such a high pick....and then also having to "back it up" with another high pick....kind of feeds into the idea a little in these of maybe getting a top TE early that you don't feel like you have to "back up" so early....especially in 2 PPR TE...I think it was risky to assume one of the WR you wanted would make it back to you and I'm not sure "getting" Clay was worth the price....

a WR3 in the 7th probably scores more for you throughout the season then Clay over Bennett....

oh....and in your scenerio above....you could still have MJD in the 9th....so no dropoff at RB3...Williams instead of Clay in 7th....Kelce in 8th....MJD 9th....
I try not to get too hung up on the "starter" vs. "bench player" distinction in these things since it's my experience that you really need 12-14 guys scoring multiple weeks for you in order to win one of these anyway. Especially with a QBBC or a TEBC, it's my feeling that it's the act of taking a "backup" early that allows me to wait on the "starter" in the first place ... and that you sort of have to do both if you're gonna do one, otherwise you're just hemorrhaging points at that position week in and week out to most of the league. I'm pretty high on Clay this year, enough that I feel a couple dozen pick premium over a guy like Fleener or Kelce is worth paying. In retrospect, with the WRs coming off the board the way they did in the 8th, yeah, he probably wasn't the ideal pick. But if Randle or Hopkins falls to me at 8.15, suddenly I look like a genius. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances ...

FYI, I'm not sure why you'd call a guy who went off the board at TE14 a "high pick" or why you'd wonder that I doubt Bennett's ability to shoulder the load by himself ... I'm guessing at least 13 other owners felt the same way. :shrug:

Enjoy the discussion, though, keep 'em coming.

I try not to get too hung up on the "starter" vs. "bench player" distinction in these things since it's my experience that you really need 12-14 guys scoring multiple weeks for you in order to win one of these anyway. Especially with a QBBC or a TEBC, it's my feeling that it's the act of taking a "backup" early that allows me to wait on the "starter" in the first place ... and that you sort of have to do both if you're gonna do one, otherwise you're just hemorrhaging points at that position week in and week out to most of the league. I'm pretty high on Clay this year, enough that I feel a couple dozen pick premium over a guy like Fleener or Kelce is worth paying. In retrospect, with the WRs coming off the board the way they did in the 8th, yeah, he probably wasn't the ideal pick. But if Randle or Hopkins falls to me at 8.15, suddenly I look like a genius. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances ...

FYI, I'm not sure why you'd call a guy who went off the board at TE14 a "high pick" or why you'd wonder that I doubt Bennett's ability to shoulder the load by himself ... I'm guessing at least 13 other owners felt the same way. :shrug:

Enjoy the discussion, though, keep 'em coming.
when using the word starter or bench player for this discussion.....it's wasn't about who ends up in your lineup, it's that you valued a QB2 and a TE2, which are bench spots, more than your WR3 which is a starting spot....and yeah, that is determined by the confidence you have in your QB1 and TE1 selections.....I am just curious when I see these things happen (and I'm just using you as an example, I have done the exact thing you did and many others have done many times myself).....

I guess in a perfect world.....we would rather have our starting WR3 come out of the pool of players in rounds 3-9 then rounds 10+....which is where your WR3 will come from every week.....and likewise, we would prefer QB2 and TE2 to come out of rounds 10+ instead....earlier rounds don't guarantee better players, but it's the idea....I feel your drop off at WR3 from round 7 where you could have locked it up.....to round 10 where you did lock it up is pretty drastic.....and outweighs the coverage for your QB and TE....

not sure if I am explaining this right.....or even if I understand what I am trying to say.....and it's just observation/discussion...... :banned:

if we forget about PK/DST which many do until later rounds....we can have the other 7 positions locked in by round 7....so assumig better players get drafted earlier, you would like to have as many of those 7 done out of the player pool in the first 7 rounds as possible....obviously you don't want to pass on value that drops to you just to fill out your "starting" lineup....but I'm just not sure that Clay/Vick/MJD (7-8-9) offered enough value to pass on your WR3....

Stinkin Ref said:
if we forget about PK/DST which many do until later rounds....we can have the other 7 positions locked in by round 7....so assumig better players get drafted earlier, you would like to have as many of those 7 done out of the player pool in the first 7 rounds as possible....obviously you don't want to pass on value that drops to you just to fill out your "starting" lineup....but I'm just not sure that Clay/Vick/MJD (7-8-9) offered enough value to pass on your WR3....
I see your point, but you're using 20/20 hindsight to justify it. There were 35 WRs off the board when I took Clay in the 7th ... and then 14 more went off in the following 28 picks! Yeah, runs like that happen in these things, but I wasn't sitting there at 7.02 expecting one. Honestly I thought two or more of Boykin, Randle, Hopkins, M. Jones would be available ... in which case I could have my cake (two-headed monster at TE) and eat it too (good value at WR3). The only reason I "passed on my WR3" at the 8/9 turn was that I didn't see any value left there after that kind of run and really didn't feel like chasing ...

If this were an SSL with only 18 draft slots I'd be more concerned ... but having the ability to go 7, hell, even 8 deep at WR in the PDSLs if you need to makes me feel a little better about not having a "true" WR3. I still think it's a tradeoff worth making for what I think will be two top-15 TEs. YMMV of course.

1.03 Peyton Manning QB1 DEN

2.14 Montee Ball RB14 DEN
6.14 Darren Sproles RB30 PHI
9.03 Fred Jackson RB37 BUF
12.14 Knile Davis RB54 KC
13.03 Donald Brown RB56 SD

4.14 DeSean Jackson WR23 WAS
5.03 Roddy White WR26 ATL
7.03 Terrance Williams WR36 DAL
8.14 Marvin Jones WR49 CIN
10.14 Aaron Dobson WR57 NE
11.03 Steve Smith WR61 BAL

3.03 Jason Witten TE6 DAL

15.03 Justin Tucker PK BAL

14.14 Baltimore DST

5 picks left....pretty easy to see where at least 4 of them will go....hopefully the draft slows down enough for the schedule release to come out

RB: Gio, Hyde, BJGE, Anderson

- I think Gio is in for a big year but took Law Firm to hedge that bet as my 2nd RB is a big risk just for not knowing where he will play. Hyde could have a big rookie year, I think he'll be a workhorse even as a rookie. But more risk with rookies of course. Anderson is a wildcard. He might be the #2 in Denver and if Ball falters, could be a nice pickup.

WR: Gordon, Harvin, Maclin, Sanders, Woods, Kearse

- Perhaps my favorite group of receivers I've drafted in these. Gordon should be top 5, Harvin could be as well if he stays healthy. Sanders will have some big games with Peyton. Although some disagree, I think Maclin will have a nice year, WR2 type overall. Woods is the wildcard but seemed to mesh with Manuel somewhat as rookies and they both should develop. If I go far, it will likely be due to this group.

I've been picking up Kearse where I can in dynasty. He might not amount to much, but he showed skills in the playoffs. I think he's the #2 in Seattle this year.

- Rudy should do well this year with better QB play, but Patterson and Jennings will likely be the top targets. Not so sure about Graham or anyone in Houston other than AJ.

K: Vinatieri

- Old but very good kicker on a good team.

- With Quinn and Long and a great LB group, this should be a fairly high scoring D.
My last few picks might not be great picks, but I like them.

RB: Gio, Hyde, BJGE, Anderson

- I think Gio is in for a big year but took Law Firm to hedge that bet as my 2nd RB is a big risk just for not knowing where he will play. Hyde could have a big rookie year, I think he'll be a workhorse even as a rookie. But more risk with rookies of course. Anderson is a wildcard. He might be the #2 in Denver and if Ball falters, could be a nice pickup.

WR: Gordon, Harvin, Maclin, Sanders, Woods, Kearse

I've been picking up Kearse where I can in dynasty. He might not amount to much, but he showed skills in the playoffs. I think he's the #2 in Seattle this year.

K: Vinatieri

- Old but very good kicker on a good team.

My last few picks might not be great picks, but I like them.
I really like them. Was considering a Baldwin/Kearse turn at one point and CJ was on my target list. Went to pick him with my last selections and was disappointed he wasn't there.

Gonna get stuck with one kicker but I couldn't pass on Amaro. Prater should be OK to go solo at kicker. Feeling good about my squad.

Users who are viewing this thread