What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Demaryius Thomas (2 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
Report: Demaryius Thomas still nursing sore shoulder

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Demaryius Thomas' shoulder separation didn't prevent him from setting a Super Bowl record with 13 receptions.

The injury is, however, keeping him from joining his fellow receivers at Duke University for Peyton Manning's offseason workouts this week, according to Jeff Legwold of ESPN.com.

The Broncos have played coy with details on the injury. It's believed to have occurred on a vicious hit from Kam Chancellor early in Super Bowl XLVIII.

Reporters noticed Thomas needed help rolling his bag to the luggage cart the next morning.

It's clear now that this was not a minor injury.

We will have a better idea of Thomas' status once Broncos' spring practices begin and offseason training activities start in late May.

In the latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast", the guys begin the offseason Roster Reset series with the AFC West and dive into the ATL mailbag..

Last edited:
Report: No separated shoulder for Demaryius ThomasPosted by Josh Alper on April 9, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT

Earlier on Wednesday, we passed along a report from Jeff Legwold of ESPN.com about Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas missing workouts with Peyton Manning and the other Broncos receivers at Duke University because of a shoulder injury.

Per the report, Thomas separated his left shoulder in the Super Bowl, something that was reported just after the game as well, and was still recovering. Now, though, another member of the Broncos beat is refuting that report.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that Thomas does not have a separated shoulder as a result of a big hit by Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor in Seattle’s 43-8 victory. What’s more, Klis also reports that he is at the Duke workouts along with Emmanuel Sanders, Wes Welker, Andre Caldwell and Julius Thomas.

There’s no further word on Thomas’ condition or what he is or isn’t able to do during workouts, but neither reported carried much reason to worry about Thomas’ status for the coming season.

Rotoworld:

Demaryius Thomas - WR - Broncos

The Denver Post reports the Broncos have offered a five-year contract to Demaryius Thomas.

The Broncos also initiated talks with TE Julius Thomas recently and hope to extend both players prior to training camp. A 2010 first-round pick, Thomas has been an elite receiver with Peyton Manning the last two seasons, posting 186 catches for 2,864 yards and 24 touchdowns. Thomas is still just 26 and could command $12 million annually. He's currently set to make $3.27 million in the final year of his rookie deal. Denver wants to avoid having to franchise Thomas, which would cost roughly $12.3 million in 2015.

Related: Julius Thomas

Source: Denver Post

Jun 13 - 6:31 PM

Demaryius Thomas - WR - Broncos
Demaryius Thomas (personal) will miss the first four days of training camp.
Thomas is attending funeral services for his grandmother in Georgia and isn't expected back until early next week. Now entering his third season in this Peyton Manning offense, there's no concerns whatsoever with the missed time. Thomas has piled up a ridiculous 186-2,864-24 line over the last two seasons.

Jul 24 - 9:25 AM

Rotoworld:

Demaryius Thomas caught four passes for 31 yards in Sunday's Week 3 overtime loss at Seattle.

Thomas did salvage his day slightly with a tough, game-tying two-point conversion near the end of regulation. But he was off his game again, dropping a couple bubble screens and luckily avoiding a fumble on replay. He did see a lot of Richard Sherman, but was not shadowed by any stretch and struggled to get open against Byron Maxwell as well. The good news is that Thomas has the bye to get right and then gets plus matchups against the Cardinals, Jets and 49ers. He's a nice buy-low.

Sep 21 - 8:59 PM

Rotoworld:

Demaryius Thomas denies that his impending contract situation has anything to do with his slow start to the season.

Thomas is in the final year of his rookie contract, leading to whispers that he's putting too much pressure on himself. Through three games, he's been targeted a healthy 27 times but has 13 catches and four drops. Note that Thomas had to deal with elite cover corner Vontae Davis in Week 1 and Richard Sherman in Week 3. With the bye week to get his head right and Peyton Manning still in his corner, Thomas is a no-brainer buy-low.

Sep 25 - 10:21 AM

So what are we thinking coming out of the bye? I am considering trading (or trying to trade) him, or at least checking his value. This is one of those calls that can make or break a season - may be able to find someone who will part with a later round overperformer based on name value. CBS has him as the 15th-most traded player.

Broncos still look for more in passing game:

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/9016/broncos-still-look-for-more-in-passing-game

Excerpt:

And then there’s Demaryius Thomas and at the moment, other than a run game with far too many negative plays, it is Thomas’ work in the offense that is among the biggest differences between what the Broncos have done in the early going this season as compared to last year’s assault on the record book.

While the 2013 season is not a fair gauge for the seasons that come after it given that the Broncos scored more points than any team in league history, Manning has still tried to get the ball to Demaryius Thomas this year at almost the same pace as last year.

Manning has targeted Demaryius Thomas 27 times in the first three games this year as compared to 28 times i ’13. But last year Dnemaryius Thomas turned those 28 targers into 20 catches and two touchdowns. This time around Thomas, with four drops, has 13 catches and one touchdown.

His 10.8 yards per catch is far lower than last year’s 15.5 yards per catch over the first three.

The gap this year between targets and catches -- a difference of 14 -- is an indication of Thomas’ drops, that perhaps he has had a sore left foot as well as Manning’s desire through it all to still get the ball to the team’s No. 1 receiver and shake things loose. And there's no reason to think those targets will go down since the belief is Thomas will find his groove soon.

The concerns with DT:

Short term: tough match up this week going against the Cardinals D and he is likely to draw some coverage from Patrick Peterson.

Longer term: Thomas is clearly off to a slow start, characterized by drops and a much lower YPC from last year. On the positive side, he is still seeing a high volume of targets, but it isn't clear if a foot injury is bothering him worse than what is being released to the media and public right now.

I am still optimistic that we will see Thomas "bounce back" so-to-speak; however, it is a situation that needs to be monitored closely.

Mean reversion. DT will be just fine. I think he's going to blow up this weekend. Peterson will be defending Emanuel Sanders primarily.

So what are we thinking coming out of the bye? I am considering trading (or trying to trade) him, or at least checking his value. This is one of those calls that can make or break a season - may be able to find someone who will part with a later round overperformer based on name value. CBS has him as the 15th-most traded player.
Yeah glad I didn't listen to myself here!

Yeah glad I didn't listen to myself here!
Imagine all the people who sold low on him before this week? What do you think they are doing rt now? LOL

Giving up on DT after the first 3 weeks would b like giving up on Megatron after these slow few weeks. Just stupid. He along with Dez and Julio are the future ( and right now) of WR's. He's a hold almost no matter what happens.

Giving up on DT after the first 3 weeks would b like giving up on Megatron after these slow few weeks. Just stupid. He along with Dez and Julio are the future ( and right now) of WR's. He's a hold almost no matter what happens.
AJ Green down?

Rotoworld:

Demaryius Thomas caught 8-of-12 targets for 105 yards in Denver's Week 8 win over the Chargers.

Thomas failed to score for the first time since Week 3, but both the 100-yard and eight-catch efforts were his fourth straight. Thomas ate up the Chargers' secondary for yards after the catch, but watched Emmanuel Sanders gobble up all the Broncos' primo end-zone looks. Playing the best football of his already excellent career, Thomas would be an All-Pro were the season to end today.

Oct 24 - 12:13 AM

Rotoworld:

Demaryius Thomas caught 8-of-12 targets for 105 yards in Denver's Week 8 win over the Chargers.

Thomas failed to score for the first time since Week 3, but both the 100-yard and eight-catch efforts were his fourth straight. Thomas ate up the Chargers' secondary for yards after the catch, but watched Emmanuel Sanders gobble up all the Broncos' primo end-zone looks. Playing the best football of his already excellent career, Thomas would be an All-Pro were the season to end today.

Oct 24 - 12:13 AM
What this guy can't even get a touchdown? Bum....j/k

I'm in 3 competitive money leagues.

Drafted in the 7th, 7th, and 8th hole respectively. (the first 2 leagues were 10 teamers)

I took Demaryius Thomas in all three spots. Also note that these leagues are start 3 WR leagues.

My reasoning was I'd rather avoid the injury variance of the early RBs, and instead go WR-WR and rely on my "guesses" in the middle rounds for RBs and look for decent production/value?? at those spots.

I am extremely happy with how things have turned out, and only in one league do I see rough sledding at RB, and thats the 12 man league, where I drafted Zac Stacy. I do have Joique and Ingram in that league and a couple of flyers too, so I can likely make it work.

If DT's floor is somewhere in the "70-80 yard" per week range, and it likely is, I'll take that.

Many people are attributing his "slow start" to being in the slot a bit the first few weeks, in the absence of Welker.

I can see trying to acquire this guy again next year, and going WR-WR from now on out.

In one particular league, Megatron went just before me, and I'm glad that happened, or I would have had to make a tough choice.

The question is, just exactly how does this guy's draft value go when compared to Megatron next year...?? (this assumes DT stays healthy, and Megatron gets better as the season goes along)

I think since Calvin Johnson's last 2 seasons (this one and last) have had a few injury black eyes, we are going to see quite a few people draft Demaryius Thomas in front of Johnson next year.

TZM

Rotoworld:

Demaryius Thomas secured 11-of-14 targets for 108 yards in Denver's Week 10 romp over Oakland.

Although Demaryius was held out of the end zone, he was a first-down machine against the Raiders, keeping the chains moving with after-catch dominance on quick hitters and bubble screens. Peyton Manning tried to hit Demaryius for a touchdown in double coverage during the fourth quarter, but an Oakland defensive back swatted the pass away. Expect Demaryius to resume scoring TDs in Week 11 at St. Louis. He's a top-three fantasy wideout play every single week.

Nov 9 - 7:54 PM

Rotoworld:

Demaryius Thomas caught 10-of-13 targets for 87 yards and three touchdowns in Denver's Week 12 win over the Dolphins.
With Peyton Manning struggling with his deep-ball accuracy and the Dolphins trying to keep everything underneath, Thomas got to work on short-to-intermediate routes, and scored his seventh, eighth and ninth touchdowns of the season, none of which went for more than 14 yards. Thomas is now the owner of a ridiculous 82/1,192/9 line with five games to go.

Nov 23 - 8:01 PM

Best trade I ever made. Asiata and Michael Floyd for Thomas when he was slumping.

This guy is great. I had a feeling he'd get some endzone action with Julius Thomas out.

Obviously this would cost of lot of people chances at a fantasy championship, so defintely a concern even if it just hinders him. I also noticed that he got stepped on in the end zone this past Sunday as well.

Per Rotowire:

Thomas (ankle) was limited at practice Wednesday, the Broncos' official site reports.
Spin:
Per coach John Fox, Thomas "got stepped on" during practice, with the wideout's status now worth monitoring as Sunday's game against the Bills approaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahoo! article/writer calling it no biggie, and that he'll be 100%.

I don't know how he knows this, but here it is:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fantasy-owners-shouldnt-worry-demaryius-223058207.html

Fantasy owners shouldn't worry about Demaryius Thomas' limited practice

Demaryius Thomas got his ankle stepped on in practice but he should be okay for Week 14. We break down the fantasy implications.

Denver Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas was limited in Wednesday's practice with a minor ankle injury. Thomas got his ankle stepped on during practice but it's not believed to be a serious issue. He should be 100 percent for Sunday's Week 14 game against the Buffalo Bills.

After a slow start to the year (by his standards), Thomas has caught fire as the No. 1 receiver for Peyton Manning. Through 12 games, he already has 88 catches for 1,255 yards and 10 touchdowns. He's on pace to shatter his career marks of 94 catches, 1,434 yards and 14 scores.

Fantasy impact: Thomas might be limited again in Thursday and Friday's practices, but he's not in any danger of missing the game. One of the best matchup-proof receivers in fantasy, Thomas can be fired up as an easy WR1 in all leagues. He'll be an invaluable asset during the fantasy playoffs while the Broncos look to grab the No. 1 seed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fantasy-owners-shouldnt-worry-demaryius-223058207.html

Demaryius Thomas got his ankle stepped on in practice but he should be okay for Week 14. We break down the fantasy implications.

Denver Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas was limited in Wednesday's practice with a minor ankle injury. Thomas got his ankle stepped on during practice but it's not believed to be a serious issue. He should be 100 percent for Sunday's Week 14 game against the Buffalo Bills.

After a slow start to the year (by his standards), Thomas has caught fire as the No. 1 receiver for Peyton Manning. Through 12 games, he already has 88 catches for 1,255 yards and 10 touchdowns. He's on pace to shatter his career marks of 94 catches, 1,434 yards and 14 scores.

Fantasy impact: Thomas might be limited again in Thursday and Friday's practices, but he's not in any danger of missing the game. One of the best matchup-proof receivers in fantasy, Thomas can be fired up as an easy WR1 in all leagues. He'll be an invaluable asset during the fantasy playoffs while the Broncos look to grab the No. 1 seed.
Not sure where this yahoo writer gets his optimisic view from but the Denver Post beat writers seem to give a little more significance to the injury.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27061523/broncos-demaryius-thomas-julius-thomas-fighting-through-ankle

As such, Wednesday's focus at practice shifted to the Thomases. Tight end Julius Thomas remained a limited, uncomfortable participant in practice because of a sore left ankle, while receiver Demaryius Thomas walked gingerly through the locker room after his right ankle was stepped on during the workout.

"It hurt, too," Demaryius Thomas said.

No two players on the Broncos offense create more consistent mismatches. There's no concern yet over Demaryius Thomas' injury, but it bears watching given how much he was favoring it.

It will be interesting to see if he practices at all Thursday or Friday.

Not sure where this yahoo writer gets his optimisic view from but the Denver Post beat writers seem to give a little more significance to the injury.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27061523/broncos-demaryius-thomas-julius-thomas-fighting-through-ankle

As such, Wednesday's focus at practice shifted to the Thomases. Tight end Julius Thomas remained a limited, uncomfortable participant in practice because of a sore left ankle, while receiver Demaryius Thomas walked gingerly through the locker room after his right ankle was stepped on during the workout.

No two players on the Broncos offense create more consistent mismatches. There's no concern yet over Demaryius Thomas' injury, but it bears watching given how much he was favoring it.

well, that isn't good at all...

Agreed. Read that piece before the Yahoo! one, and was surprised to see the dismissal. But then, from this mornings FBG email blast:

DEN - WR Demaryius Thomas limited Wednesday

Source: DenverBroncos.com - Andrew Mason

Denver Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas (ankle) was limited in practice due to an ankle injury Wednesday, Dec. 3. Head coach John Fox said Thomas 'got stepped on' in practice.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Thomas should be fine for the team's Week 14 game against the Bills. We like him as a must-start WR1.

So he's good?

I think they're lying. He got stepped on or rolled it during the Chiefs game. I know, because he's my WR1 and I watch him every pass play of every Broncos game. There was a point in the fourth quarter where he looked like he rolled it in the end zone and was limping.

Agreed. Read that piece before the Yahoo! one, and was surprised to see the dismissal. But then, from this mornings FBG email blast:

DEN - WR Demaryius Thomas limited Wednesday

Source: DenverBroncos.com - Andrew Mason

Denver Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas (ankle) was limited in practice due to an ankle injury Wednesday, Dec. 3. Head coach John Fox said Thomas 'got stepped on' in practice.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Thomas should be fine for the team's Week 14 game against the Bills. We like him as a must-start WR1.

So he's good?
Never a good sign from going from limited to no practice on a Thursday for an ankle.

I think they're lying. He got stepped on or rolled it during the Chiefs game. I know, because he's my WR1 and I watch him every pass play of every Broncos game. There was a point in the fourth quarter where he looked like he rolled it in the end zone and was limping.
Someone else mentioned this as well and I saw it too but can't remember if he kept playing after that? Was at work and didn't get to really watch in detail. Can anyone confirm if he had a catch after that?

Someone else mentioned this as well and I saw it too but can't remember if he kept playing after that? Was at work and didn't get to really watch in detail. Can anyone confirm if he had a catch after that?
Actually, yes.

Peyton's last completion of the game was a 5 yard pass to DT at about the 20 yard line. I remember seeing him limping but he did catch 2 passes after that IIRC.

Hadn't considered that they were lying. Figured it was sore from Sunday, already tender, and then got stepped on Wednesday while he was doing light drills.

Absolutely no reason to rush him out to practice today, in any event, with a sore ankle. Seeing as how there has been no MRI or the like (as this would be reported) it appears to be a sprain. Could be minor, could be more severe. Giving him a Thursday off, considering the soreness, may be wise as the Broncos are vying for the top seed. The Pats loss last week helped them and they have another toughie this week at SD.

Conversely, this could be serious. Friday's practice will speak volumes.

In any event, he may have been limited Wed, and limited again today. Not confirmed he was DNP yet.

"Per ESPN's Jeff Legwold, Thomas, who injured his ankle in practice Wednesday, does not appear to be practicing Thursday. Analysis: Legwold notes that Thomas appeared to be "limping a bit" Thursday, but in any case, we'll revisit the wideout's status once the Broncos' Thursday practice report is released to see if Thomas draws an official limited or did not practice designation."

Officially an 'Ankle Bruise"... not an ankle sprain. Less severe, I presume? In any event, Fox says he's fine.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Injury-update-Demaryius-Thomas-has-a-bruise-Cody-Latimer-sits-out/c1cee48e-d92c-42f7-acf4-d1f078413d45

Injury update: Demaryius Thomas has a bruise; Cody Latimer sits out

Posted 38 minutes ago

Andrew Mason Columnist / AnalystEmail Twitter Facebook

Thomas "will be fine," Head Coach John Fox said, but Latimer will go through the post-concussion protocol.One day after his ankle was stepped on during practice, wide receiver Demaryius Thomas watched in a sweatshirt and without a helmet as the Broncos continued their preparations for the Buffalo Bills.

Thomas was listed on Wednesday's injury report as having a limited practice. Thursday, he stretched out, and then watched as his fellow wide receivers went through their drills.

"It's a bruise, and he'll be fine," Head Coach John Fox said.

But the news was not as promising for wide receiver Cody Latimer, who left Thursday's practice with concussion-like symptoms. Fox said Latimer would go through the league-mandated protocol.

Fox added that he was "not really sure" when Latimer was hurt.

Mighty Mice said:
steelerfan1 said:
rockaction said:
Actually, yes.

Peyton's last completion of the game was a 5 yard pass to DT at about the 20 yard line. I remember seeing him limping but he did catch 2 passes after that IIRC.

Hadn't considered that they were lying. Figured it was sore from Sunday, already tender, and then got stepped on Wednesday while he was doing light drills.

Absolutely no reason to rush him out to practice today, in any event, with a sore ankle. Seeing as how there has been no MRI or the like (as this would be reported) it appears to be a sprain. Could be minor, could be more severe. Giving him a Thursday off, considering the soreness, may be wise as the Broncos are vying for the top seed. The Pats loss last week helped them and they have another toughie this week at SD.

Conversely, this could be serious. Friday's practice will speak volumes.

In any event, he may have been limited Wed, and limited again today. Not confirmed he was DNP yet.

"Per ESPN's Jeff Legwold, Thomas, who injured his ankle in practice Wednesday, does not appear to be practicing Thursday. Analysis: Legwold notes that Thomas appeared to be "limping a bit" Thursday, but in any case, we'll revisit the wideout's status once the Broncos' Thursday practice report is released to see if Thomas draws an official limited or did not practice designation."
Yeah, there's no need on my end to accuse them of lying when there's a very plausible reason or potential occurrence whereby he might have re-injured it.

I should have limited it to my observation that he pulled up in the end zone and looked like he limped back to the huddle.

For #Broncos @DemaryiusT is on field, was running in individual drills... Julius Thomas practicing and Talib practicing as well.

Per twitter Mile High Report

Hallelujah! MT @MaseDenver: Demaryius Thomas and Jacob Tamme are both running and catching passes during the opening period of practice.

Rotoworld:

C.J. Anderson said Demaryius Thomas' ankle was bothering him during Sunday's win over the Bills.

Thomas tweaked his ankle when a teammate stepped on it during Wednesday's practice. However, he practiced on a limited basis Friday and earned a "probable" tag. Although DT was held to 2-11-0 Sunday (his worst game since 2012), the ankle did not appear to be the real culprit here. Peyton Manning attempted just 20 passes as the Broncos rode Anderson and the defense to a win. Expect a bounce-back in Week 15 against San Diego's leaky pass defense.

Source: ESPN.com
Dec 8 - 10:05 AM

Users who are viewing this thread