Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Demaryius Thomas, Free Agent

Demaryius Thomas - WR -  Broncos

Demaryius Thomas caught 5-of-6 passes for 42 yards in the Broncos' Week 7 win over the Cardinals.

They were disappointing stats on a night the Cardinals won 45-10, but there was not much for Thomas to do with Cardinals QB Josh Rosen continually handing the ball to the Broncos' defense and setting up either touchdowns or excellent field position. Thomas will be firmly in the WR2 mix against the Chiefs' awful defense in Week 8.

Oct 19 - 12:01 AM

5 minutes ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Where could he go that would improve his fantasy outlook?

None comes to mind.   I am certain that Dallas is interested, but Dak won't help Manny's fantasy outlook.    Jacksonville with Bortles isn't  a good option either.   

Maybe the Redskins?    They are in desperate need of a #1 WR.  

9 News Denver's Mike Klis reports the Broncos will not trade and are not shopping Demaryius Thomas ahead of next Tuesday's trade deadline.

Klis says it's a "good bet" Thomas finishes the season in Denver. The soon-to-be 31-year-old (in December) is signed through 2019 at a $14 million salary next year. We'd say it's a "good bet" this is Thomas' last year with the team, at least on that contract. He's likely to be cut or dealt in the offseason.

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter 

Oct 24 - 10:04 AM

8 minutes ago, Angry spiders said:

His contract is the reason he wont get traded....

To be fair, if it wasn't for his contract then den wouldn't be trying to dump him...... I mean fielding SO MANY calls from around the league of people lining up to pay him $14mil. Yeah, that's probably what's going on. Teams won't give Dez Bryant anything above the league minimum but they want to pay Thomas $14mil and it's den that's turning them down.

Well, at least the people that believe this stuff aren't using anything illegal in CO.

6 hours ago, Angry spiders said:

His contract is the reason he wont get traded....

no.his inability to get separation from defenders is the reason.he's just not that good anymore. you could see it last season.  drop in #'s from 2014/15 to now. trending down. he's not what he was for those 2 good seasons.you want to trade for him , or for a young pup with 0 miles on the odometer?

A friend that thinks he has connections says a deal sending DT to the Patriots for a 2nd round pick is done.   Doesn't make any sense unless Gordon has another problem rolling in.

14 minutes ago, SCT said:

A friend that thinks he has connections says a deal sending DT to the Patriots for a 2nd round pick is done.   Doesn't make any sense unless Gordon has another problem rolling in.

Could it be an indication Gronk’s back is more of a concern than they’re letting on?

NO nfl team is giving up a 2nd for DT.  Much less hoodie.

iirc DT is due like 14m next year also.  not to mention his cap hit roy to his new team.  maybe he agrees to re-structure his contract with a trade, who knows?

I think the broncos would take a 4th or maybe even 5th, first to get Sutton more involved, and 2nd to get the cap relief.

2 minutes ago, Frank Black said:

As an owner of both DT and Sutton, I hope DT is traded. My question is, given his declined play, what teams could he realistically make better, given his salary?

Feels like another "lemons-into-lemonade" story waiting to happen for the Patriots.

If he went to the Patriots, I'm not sure that would help his numbers at all. Too many mouths to feed - Gronk, Gordon, Edelman, White...

I keep coming to this thread to see if he’s been traded. Past his prime and time for Sutton to get more opportunities. I don’t see how Thomas would be in the 2nd rd trade ballpark at all though. 

1 hour ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

There’s no way BB is giving a 2nd round pick for DT. NO. WAY. 

I'd be shocked if Thomas got more than a 4th in return. A 5th wouldn't surprise me even.

I can't see how he possibly gets traded.  No team is gonna pay him the 17.5m next year on his contract.  Maybe if he agrees to a re structure or DEN eats a lot of it.  Will be interesting.  The Big Al & DMac show here said their goodbyes today. 

Demaryius Thomas - WR -  Broncos

NFL Network's Michael Giardi reports the Patriots have "discussed" acquiring Demaryius Thomas ahead of Tuesday afternoon's trade deadline.

Fellow NFL Network media man Ian Rapoport adds the Patriots are also "particularly interested" in Golden Tate, in addition to Thomas. Thomas, of course, was drafted by Josh McDaniels in Denver and may need a change of scenery. He's been relatively brutal in Denver this season, pacing the league in dropped passes and checking in at 70th among WRs in catch rate. With Josh Gordon suddenly on thinner ice due to tardiness problems, the Patriots may be in the market for outside WR help. Tate is the better player at this stage.

Related: Patriots, Golden Tate

Source: Michael Giardi on Twitter 

Oct 29 - 6:46 PM

Have hated his prospects since the pre-season, but if he goes to the Patriots or winds up opposite Hopkins--well, I'm suddenly much more interested.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Sources: The #Texans are closing in on a deal for #Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas in exchange for a mid-round pick. They are finalizing. It’s Courtland Sutton’s time.

Texans acquired WR Demaryius Thomas from the Broncos.

The Broncos are believed to be getting a fourth-round pick return, which would not be bad compensation for a 30-year-old in what's essentially a contract season. Thomas has been in steady decline since the Broncos' Super Bowl 2015 season, but he remains durable and reasonably effective. He will certainly be an upgrade for the Texans in three-receiver sets after they lost Will Fuller (knee) for the season. Thomas will also have a much improved quarterback situation. He should be a more bankable WR3 than he was with Case Keenum. His arrival puts a dent in Keke Coutee's WR3 outlook. Courtland Sutton, meanwhile, could flirt with WR2 value in Denver.

Related: Broncos

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter 

Oct 30 - 1:17 PM

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shawnky said:

Thomas and a 7th for a 4th

I'm reading that they are swapping 7th round picks - Broncos get back a 7th? Big Whoop!

4 minutes ago, ffldrew said:

I'm reading that they are swapping 7th round picks - Broncos get back a 7th? Big Whoop!

The Broncos got a fourth round pick from the Texans, and they are swapping 7th round picks.

8 minutes ago, joey said:

I'm feeling like DT's value doesn't move much with this trade. Thoughts?

Major upgrade at QB... better overall team... steps right into an available target share (due to injury)... haven't looked at schedule impact.

• Thanks 1

Upgrades at QB.  I think Hopkins>Sanders, and will draw more attention which should help DT.  Houston hadn't ran the ball great until the last game or 2.  But I suspect they'll pass plenty, he'll get targets.  

I don't know that he becomes anyone that takes over leagues and wins them--but I wouldn't dread playing him now.  

Don't know if I would expect much this weekend, but Texans are on BYE next week so plenty of time then to get DT acquainted with the offense.

One point in his favor is that Watson loves to extend the play outrunning pass rushers or sliding out of collapsing pockets. That has led to big plays down the field because guys have more time to get open or slip behind defenders that bite on a QB run or a broken play. You don't need to have a great grasp of the playbook in those situations.

Edited by Buckna
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Don't know if I would expect much this weekend, but Texans are on BYE next week so plenty of time then to get DT acquainted with the offense.

One point in his favor is that Watson loves to extend the play outrunning pass rushers or sliding out of collapsing pockets. That has led to big plays down the field because guys have more time to get open or slip behind defenders that bite on a QB run or a broken play.

His value this week will be telling the Texans D all the play calls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joey said:

I'm feeling like DT's value doesn't move much with this trade. Thoughts?

I think he should fare better with Watson and Texans' dynamic offense than Keenum and Broncos' run-plodding offense. For whatever reason, Thomas wasn't utilized effectively with Broncos and Keenum.   If anything, I believe Thomas should receive an increased red-zone attention from Watson.  Texans cannot afford to have Watson to scramble in the pocket every time to evade every pass-rusher. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, sgtrobo said:

really interested in thoughts as I have a possible redraft trade pending (DT for T.Y. Hilton)

Good luck with that if you're trying to acquire Hilton.  

16 hours ago, Shawnky said:

Good luck with that if you're trying to acquire Hilton.  

i have DT, the Hilton owner offered the trade

I'm going to go for it