What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite Dungeons and Dragons modules (1 Viewer)

We play every other Tuesday GB. You know where to find us.
thanks for the welcome. But how does it work. Do I need to make a character. Do I need a microphone. Give me the particulars and maybe Ill swing by for an adventure. And by find you, I assume you are on that roll20 site. How will I know which one is you

PMing you @AcerFC

I will absolutely run an introduction to 5E for anyone that's interested. 

You'll need a microphone and a couple of free weeknights over the span of 2 weeks.

About half of one of my fantasy football leagues played D & D in our early high school years.  One of the guys that hasn't really had a job for the last decade says he wants to get the old group together and start playing.  I told him there is no way I'm digging up the old books and getting back up to speed on the rules.  I told him he should check out Twitch, and talk to another friend about maybe seeing if we can get someone that could DM for us in one of the newer editions (the other friend is pretty active in board games, but has told me he may know a few RPGers also).

This was probably a year ago, and I don't think he's done anything to get the ball rolling.

The last time I played an RPG was my freshman or sophomore year in college, played Paranoia.  That was a fun time.

No real point to the story, but felt that with an open thread on the subject in general, I could drop some rambling thoughts in here.  Save a page from being used in my diary.

Also, the satanic thing - I think that with the make-believe aspect and the focus on a wide variety of belief structures as well as magic being pretty core to the game, that it gave me a more open mind towards other belief structures, or at least an awareness.  That is not always seen as a positive among some religious folks, so I always just took those stories with a grain of salt.
Get this done!

(don't know how I missed your post the first time).

Btw the Gary Gygax biography (Empire of Imagination, I think it is called) is an interesting read and makes a great holiday gift!

It was difficult enough scheduling around you guys in high school.  I don't have the patience for it now.  I was hoping that King B would put pressure on the Vatican to get something rolling.
I'm pretty sure I only made it about twice before you guys stopped playing.  I can guarantee that even if you kept playing, my social life wouldn't not have been a scheduling difficulty.

So anybody in this thread still? Thinking about starting Neverwinter on PS4 - do you need PS+ or whatever it is called subscription to play?

I am currently playing with some friends from work. The DM is using the latest edition rules and the missions are based in the Neverwinter world. But he has written them himself. So I don't think we are playing any vanilla modules. He also DMs for a D&D league. A bunch of DMs wrote interlocking stories and so what happens to one group affects every other group in the league and how their missions progress. Got my own dice, a player handbook and a felt lined dice rolling tray. I'm a pro.

Got my own dice, a player handbook and a felt lined dice rolling tray. I'm a pro.
Unless you're dropping a few racks here, you're still just a minor leaguer. :)

Dunno how I missed this thread its first go 'round.  Not embarrassed at all that I played this back in late HS/early college.  Did a few sessions later than that, but not for probably 20 years now.  An old work buddy tried starting up something on roll20 about a year ago that he invited me to join, but it didn't get past character creation.

In regard to the original post: I know it's pretty much universally loved, but Ravenloft was a pretty obvious rip-off of the old "Dark Shadows" TV series.  That always rubbed me the wrong way.  Total railroad of a plot, too.  The Ravenloft campaign setting had some juice though, for its time.   Dark Sun was enjoyable.  For non-TSR/WotC/whatever they're called now, the Chaosium stuff had some moments too.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you're dropping a few racks here, you're still just a minor leaguer. :)

Dunno how I missed this thread its first go 'round.  Not embarrassed at all that I played this back in late HS/early college.  Did a few sessions later than that, but not for probably 20 years now.  An old work buddy tried starting up something on roll20 about a year ago that he invited me to join, but it didn't get past character creation.

In regard to the original post: I know it's pretty much universally loved, but Ravenloft was a pretty obvious rip-off of the old "Dark Shadows" TV series.  That always rubbed me the wrong way.  Total railroad of a plot, too.  The Ravenloft campaign setting had some juice though, for its time.   Dark Sun was enjoyable.  For non-TSR/WotC/whatever they're called now, the Chaosium stuff had some moments too.  
Yeah those are some serious goodies. 125 for an ebony dice vault? You're right I'm a piker.

@AcerFC how'd you like your first session of D&D?

I DM'd for him and two other FBGs a week ago. Was a one-shot in a world I've been building for over 1.5 years. :)

So anybody in this thread still? Thinking about starting Neverwinter on PS4 - do you need PS+ or whatever it is called subscription to play?
I was playing NW for awhile.  I think I tried getting a FBG group together, but it's not a popular MMOG.  Definitely fun, though.

I'd love to play.  My favorite was one in the back of a Dungeon magazine.  I don't remember the name of it exactly, but it was for high levels, and you fought a high level wizard with a bunch of Slaad henchmen, and his bodyguard named Lord Fell.  It seemed that he had some simulacrums so you actually had to fight them a few times.

I'd love to play.  My favorite was one in the back of a Dungeon magazine.  I don't remember the name of it exactly, but it was for high levels, and you fought a high level wizard with a bunch of Slaad henchmen, and his bodyguard named Lord Fell.  It seemed that he had some simulacrums so you actually had to fight them a few times.
Possibly one of the goofiest creatures ever created for the genre....but I loved them anyway.  

Standing offer, just send a PM.
I'm half tempted to take you up on this, just to see what's changed in 20 years.  

I have an old colleague that used to own a game store (wasn't local to me though, so I never had the opportunity to just go play there) and he tried to explain to me once how he'd watch customers in his store near coming to blows over "Edition War" type conversations.  Assuming it's a whole world of difference now from back in 2nd Edition.

Any idea what this was called? If you can even get close or some of the title I can probably find it.

Any idea what this was called? If you can even get close or some of the title I can probably find it.
http://annarchive.com/files/Dungeon Magazine %23010.pdf

archive for all: http://annarchive.com/dungeon.html

That's it!  Threshold of Evil.  It was ridiculously hard.  We died a few times, but our DM let us keep retrying it.  That link actually has all of the Dungeon Mags that I'm aware of.  Massive numbers of modules in there.  Wow, just looking at that cover I felt like I was transported back to 11 years old.

Sorry to bump, but I'm new to these boards and got waaaay too excited to see this thread right off the bat.

I haven't gotten to play a ton of D&D (never had a reliable DM), but a love of the common elements of RPG's and FF is what led us to co-found Dragons & Gridirons. It's season-long FF where you get spell cards that let you boost your player scores, nerf your opponent's players, or generally wreak havoc on the outcome.

Every time I find other FF players who also like RPG's I feel like I've discovered other members of a lost tribe. There are a surprisingly large number of us out there.

Your league sounds pretty funny. I actually would like to here more about it.
Thanks! It should be pretty ridiculous - still under development, but we're running a Kickstarter campaign in a month and aiming to launch the game with 2017 season.

It's traditional fantasy football at its foundation. So you do all the normal drafting and setting up a team each week for a H2H matchup.

But in D&G you get a certain number of magic points each week that you can use for your spell cards. A basic/low-MP card might give you double TD points for one of your players. Whereas a higher-end card could banish one of your opponent's players to the X-Zone (i.e., neutralize their score for the week). Choosing the best spell cards out of your stash should create some interesting strategy. And the spells go into effect in real-time, so there's some additional strategy to deciding whether to play them at the outset and reap the full benefit, or wait and see how the gameflow is shaping up.

The cards will be obtained through a progression similar to an RPG skill tree, based on XP that you earn in-game. We're still sorting that part out, but it will probably be a combination of bonuses for player performance, picking your best possible roster, and giving more XP to the lower-scoring teams to add some parity. We don't want it to just make good teams even better.

We just started playing Dungeons and Dragons again after about a 20 year layoff.  

Having so much fun.  It's great because I get online with my brother (who lives in Colorado) once a week now, whereas we used to talk maybe every month or two.  

We did the Lost Mines of Phandelver to start with.  Very fun.

My 9th grade daughter and a couple of her friends at school have a D&D group that they plays during their free period at school.  Proud  :nerd:  moment.

On one hand, it's been great having something to bond over.  I think my old dice are still around the house somewhere.  My oldest son got a hold of them over 10 years ago and they've disappeared in his room.  And when she told me about her group, I dug up my 1st edition Deities and Demi-gods book that included the Cthulu gods before they had secured copyrights to use them, so it's a little more valuable than it was when I got it.  I even wanted her to take it to school to show off to her friends, but she won't.

On the other hand, the character she chose to create is a half-orc bard.  :bag:

My favorite module was Keep on the Borderland. As noted earlier, it came with the box set of the late 70's.

When we 1st got it, I was in maybe 4th or 5th grade...we could not make sense of any of the rules.

So, one night a group of us teamed up for a science project to make a clay model of a carbon atom. Once we completed the model, we opened up the map of the module and made little warriors and monsters out of the clay used for the science project. We then proceeded to play Keep on the Borderlands as a table top game similar to Candyland. Any deaths resulted in amazing splattering of clay all over the room. Totally awesome!

Once we finally learned how to play, I must say the the full series (can't quite remeber proper order) of Slavelords - Giants - Drow - Loth (Q1) were my favs.

So I hadn't played this since Middle School (almost 30 years ago).  My friend was running a game and I jumped in a few months ago.  It's really fun as hell.  Just finished Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

@hagmania - you still running games?

Anyone watch the new web series playing D&D with celebrities with the hot girl from Daredevil as DM?

Users who are viewing this thread