What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brewers Thread - Choo Choo All Aboard the Jackson Chourio Hype Train (4 Viewers)

Roenicke sucks.

Can't stand him, never could. There are Little League managers that could manage a better bullpen

I guess Gordon knew what he was doing when he traded Gallardo and moved Nelson into the starting rotation. He's the only pitcher that can win a game.

Too early to join the "Done Club"

Rotten Ron won't last til May if they keep playing like this
Getting there though. Tough to win any games when you can't score more than 3 runs a game. I'd be less concerned if it was just this year but their offensive struggles go back to last year.

I didn't think they would contend this year and hoped for .500 ball. But this is brutal. After their hot start in April last year they finished the season at 62-72. The Brewers brass either buried their head in the sand to last year's finish or hoped the fans were too ignorant to notice. Stood pat over the off-season. Reading the comments on the articles at MJS it's already getting ugly with fans. Gonna be a loooooooong season and really tough to sell tickets. This team plays bad defense, is lost offensively, has poor pitching, and a lousy manager. Not a lot of hope there.

Scooter out a couple of days after requiring stitches because he cut himself in the shower.

Lucroy on 15 day disabled list after breaking a toe from a foul tip

Today is the day the Brewers turn this thing around. Start of a 10 game winning streak.

I may or may not have already started drinking today.

So tonight I saw a guy I had never heard of (Guilmet) come on and go from 0.0 to 32.04 in one inning. He got the first guy out. That was cool.

Segura's SBs make him more valuable in fantasy than in real life where he hasn't contributed much offensively or defensively for 2 1/2 seasons. Until proven otherwise, I think every trade any team makes with Dave Stewart is a win for them. Getting rid of Segura unblocks Arcia at SS. Chase Anderson gives them a back end of the rotation arm which was a need for Milwaukee. Aaron Hill can play 3B or platoon with Scooter at 2B. Isan Diaz is a 19 year old lottery ticket. That's a decent haul for a guy like Segura who the Brewers really don't need. They're adding some salary but that's not a big deal.

I kind of like what David Stearns has done in his first offseason at GM. They got some prospects for Adam Lind and Chris Carter cost them next to nothing as his replacement. Villar and Rymer Liriano are worth giving a shot to. Nieuwenhuis and Middlebrooks probably aren't but they can't be much worse than who they're replacing. They face a long uphill road in what's become a very tough division. They'll get back up through drafting and development. Most of the guys they picked up this offseason won't be around by then but the Brewers need to put a team on the field. They have some pieces to compete with Cincinnati

Segura's SBs make him more valuable in fantasy than in real life where he hasn't contributed much offensively or defensively for 2 1/2 seasons. Until proven otherwise, I think every trade any team makes with Dave Stewart is a win for them. Getting rid of Segura unblocks Arcia at SS. Chase Anderson gives them a back end of the rotation arm which was a need for Milwaukee. Aaron Hill can play 3B or platoon with Scooter at 2B. Isan Diaz is a 19 year old lottery ticket. That's a decent haul for a guy like Segura who the Brewers really don't need. They're adding some salary but that's not a big deal.

I kind of like what David Stearns has done in his first offseason at GM. They got some prospects for Adam Lind and Chris Carter cost them next to nothing as his replacement. Villar and Rymer Liriano are worth giving a shot to. Nieuwenhuis and Middlebrooks probably aren't but they can't be much worse than who they're replacing. They face a long uphill road in what's become a very tough division. They'll get back up through drafting and development. Most of the guys they picked up this offseason won't be around by then but the Brewers need to put a team on the field. They have some pieces to compete with Cincinnati
I like it so far as well. He's rebuilt the farm system to being respectable. And this team will be lucky to win 70 games regardless. Would like to see them unload Braun at some point but I think that's going to be a tough sell to other teams.

I like it so far as well. He's rebuilt the farm system to being respectable. And this team will be lucky to win 70 games regardless. Would like to see them unload Braun at some point but I think that's going to be a tough sell to other teams.
OF talent seems thinner than recent years and less prospects than usual seem ready for the jump. I don't trust Braun to get to July healthy, but if he does he's probably raking. A lot of opportunities for openings.

Thames has 2 homers & 7 RBI in his past 66 ABs to go with a .242 average in that span after startling the world in his first 3 weeks of this season.  Welcome to McCutchen-Land, Eric!

Milwaukee is getting it done, even without big input these days from Braun & Thames.  The rotation has been up and down, but Counsell seems to have a quick hook for those having a subpar start.

Milwaukee is getting it done, even without big input these days from Braun & Thames.  The rotation has been up and down, but Counsell seems to have a quick hook for those having a subpar start.
Maybe the "April Thames" is now returning for June.

He sat against lefties a few times last week. A bit disconcerting.
He was dealing with strep throat and as Fred alluded, he had some hamstring/leg problems to get through so the rest was certainly warranted. They'll still give Aguilar some starts against lefties but if he's feeling better I wouldn't worry too much about his PT.

He hits his first HR in 3 weeks and on cue he gets drug tested after the game

Keon Broxton has 29 runs scored, which is more than anyone on his former team---the Pirates.  Though erratic, he's proven to be more than an "extra outfielder" as he was characterized in Pittsburgh.

Keon Broxton has 29 runs scored, which is more than anyone on his former team---the Pirates.  Though erratic, he's proven to be more than an "extra outfielder" as he was characterized in Pittsburgh.
Well, he was an extra OF in Pittsburgh behind their three starters.

He's been cromulent for the Brewers but will probably go back to being an OF4 when Brinson and/or Phillips is deemed to be ready.

Well, he was an extra OF in Pittsburgh behind their three starters.

He's been cromulent for the Brewers but will probably go back to being an OF4 when Brinson and/or Phillips is deemed to be ready.
Granted on his former status.  He'd certainly be playing much now without Marte in the mix and Polanco's frequent hurts.  The return in the trade (Jason Rogers) for Keon has not been commensurate with what Broxton's achieved in Milwaukee. Perhaps that's the rub.  But the Bucs rarely get equal value in recent years.

Stearns has done a good job of finding useful fringey players like Broxton, Perez, Aguilar, etc..  That's easier to do when a team's 40 man roster isn't loaded with talent but it still takes scouting, good decision making and a bit of luck.

Can this be correct?  Brewers' starting rotation in their last 12 games, just a 2.17 ERA (18 runs in 74 & 2/3 IP)?  Amazing.

Can this be correct?  Brewers' starting rotation in their last 12 games, just a 2.17 ERA (18 runs in 74 & 2/3 IP)?  Amazing.
Not sure on the numbers but it sounds about right. Nelson and Davies have been lights out their past few starts. Chase Anderson flirted with a no hitter last weekend. And they're what, 5-7 in that stretch? A shaky bullpen and awful hitting with RISP has really doomed them.

strykerpks said:
Not sure on the numbers but it sounds about right. Nelson and Davies have been lights out their past few starts. Chase Anderson flirted with a no hitter last weekend. And they're what, 5-7 in that stretch? A shaky bullpen and awful hitting with RISP has really doomed them.
I'm intrigued by Chase Anderson.  I think I read that his velocity is up a little this year.  

They're wasting solid starting pitching.  Team has a 5-9 record in their last 14 games with just 53 runs posted by the offense.

They're wasting solid starting pitching.  Team has a 5-9 record in their last 14 games with just 53 runs posted by the offense.
Just checked, and the rotation's ERA in the past 19 games is 2.77.  Shame they couldn't parlay that into more wins.  Anderson looking stellar.

Chase Anderson has pitched 21 2/3 straight scoreless innings.

Prior to tonight, Nelson had 1.77 ERA, 1.04 WHIP and 42:6 K:BB in 35 1/3 innings over six starts.

Davies stats something stats something something stats. I've heard something but I've been drinking tonight. He's been good. 

My above quote applies, except shaky = poop####poopbulpenisweak

Top prospect LHP Josh Hader called up to help in the bullpen.  He projects as a starter eventually but the move seems like a good approach towards solving an immediate problem from within the organization.

ETA:  Oof, Hader's been getting shelled this year in AAA.  Maybe he's better off working on his long ball problems at lower altitudes than Colorado Springs. :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Thames hitting .195 since April 28th, and striking out once every 3 at-bats.  Must need a series against the Reds.

Users who are viewing this thread