What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Foodies/Cooks - need help with steak leftovers (1 Viewer)

ramsfan

Footballguy
My wife, god bless her, bought 4-5 pounds of Sirloin Steak at Costco. Then I noticed it in fridge about 3-4 days later, starting to look not so red anymore.

I figured it was too late to freeze, so I did some online research, and I was able to rinse the steaks, pat dry, salt and pepper for a bit, then marinaded them in an Olive Oil/Lemon Juice/Worcestershire marinade.

We grilled them, and they were actually pretty darn good at dinner. Challenge is our family are not big eaters, so we literally ate maybe less than one pound.

So, I have 3.5-4 pounds of grilled Sirloin in the fridge from last night.

I am hoping someone has a good idea on how to make this tasty and useful in something we can freeze for later?

I am better off freezing the cooked steak today as is? Or, better off doing something like slicing it super thin, adding it to a stroganoff sauce, or a light au jus type sauce, and freezing that for reheating later?

Thanks so much, there are some great cooks on foodies on this site!

My wife, god bless her, bought 4-5 pounds of Sirloin Steak at Costco. Then I noticed it in fridge about 3-4 days later, starting to look not so red anymore.

I figured it was too late to freeze, so I did some online research, and I was able to rinse the steaks, pat dry, salt and pepper for a bit, then marinaded them in an Olive Oil/Lemon Juice/Worcestershire marinade.

We grilled them, and they were actually pretty darn good at dinner. Challenge is our family are not big eaters, so we literally ate maybe less than one pound.

I am hoping someone has a good idea on how to make this tasty and useful in something we can freeze for later?

I am better off freezing the cooked steak today as is? Or, better off doing something like slicing it super thin, adding it to a stroganoff sauce, or a light au jus type sauce, and freezing that for reheating later?

Jus.

Au jus means with broth or juice. You make jus for French Dip and a French Dip is served au jus

1) Fajitas

2) Crock pot and when finished add to grilled cheese

3) Philly sandwiches

4) Steak and Eggs in the morning

5) Kabobs

6 Tacos or quesadillas

7) Beef wraps with the beef as the wrap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut it into appropriate portions, wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then tightly in foil (alternatively if you have a vacuum sealer that would be best) then freeze them. Thaw individual portions as needed.

Cut it into appropriate portions, wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then tightly in foil (alternatively if you have a vacuum sealer that would be best) then freeze them. Thaw individual portions as needed.
This. Take them out as you need them. I like slicing thin, stir frying in sesame or pepper infused oil and serving in fajitas. Another alternative is to slice it and add it to tomato sauce and make a good pasta sauce.

Leftover sliced steak in hot pan. Warm through, add beaten eggs, cook until scrambled. Toss in a handful of cheddar or jack cheese until melted. Pile into warmed burrito shells, add a packet or two of Taco Bell hot sauce. Roll and eat.

Optional: tater tots, sliced pickled jalapeño, sour cream, a little diced or sliced tomato.

Its been mentioned but the steak sandwiches. The key I think is to slice it thinly. You may even want to put them in the freezer for a little bit, not to completely freeze but to firm up to to slice better.

Butter in the pan and get a little burn on em. Maybe some nice ciabatta buns? Something with a little chew.

Definitely sliced/chopped onions frilled to your liking (I prefer some black on them).

Use this as an opportunity to make some of Tipsy's provelone sauce!

tipsy mcstagger, on 21 Nov 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

AcerFC, on 20 Nov 2013 - 5:44 PM, said:

What is provolone sauce.

And if I get down there and McClures is closed, I will be :mad:
we make a white roux, add heavy cream, provolone, salt, pepper, and horseradish. Its like nacho cheese sauce but with provolone. I hate the cheeze whiz philly uses so I went with a gooey melty provolone sauce on it.

Jus.

Au jus means with broth or juice. You make jus for French Dip and a French Dip is served au jus

1) Fajitas

2) Crock pot and when finished add to grilled cheese

3) Philly sandwiches

4) Steak and Eggs in the morning

5) Kabobs

6 Tacos or quesadillas

7) Beef wraps with the beef as the wrap.
these are my first thoughts.

.... to add:

stroganoff

goulash

bourguignon

stew

chili

stir fry

Users who are viewing this thread