OrangeJulius

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - What do you think?

790 posts in this topic

Rotoworld:

Second-round pick Austin Seferian-Jenkins missed all of Bucs OTAs and minicamp due to the University of Washington's late graduation.

Seferian-Jenkins will therefore be behind Brandon Myers and Tim Wright when training camp starts, though we'd expect him to push for early-season snaps, even if he isn't an every-down player when the season opens. We'll find out more about ASJ's rookie-year outlook in August. For now, he's a lower-end fantasy TE2. Seferian-Jenkins' long-term projection remains as a high-scoring TE1.

Source: buccaneers.com

Jun 23 - 1:05 PM

He is way behind right now. With Evans and Jackson there is not going to be a lot of passes to go around especially in the redzone where TEs make a lot of their value. This guy has bust written all over him and he has had a foot injury that bothers me. He needs to make the most of training camp to even have a shot at being a factor for the Buccs or for fantasy owners.

For this season? Jump to conclusions much?

Rotoworld:

Second-round pick Austin Seferian-Jenkins missed all of Bucs OTAs and minicamp due to the University of Washington's late graduation.

Seferian-Jenkins will therefore be behind Brandon Myers and Tim Wright when training camp starts, though we'd expect him to push for early-season snaps, even if he isn't an every-down player when the season opens. We'll find out more about ASJ's rookie-year outlook in August. For now, he's a lower-end fantasy TE2. Seferian-Jenkins' long-term projection remains as a high-scoring TE1.

Source: buccaneers.com

Jun 23 - 1:05 PM

He is way behind right now. With Evans and Jackson there is not going to be a lot of passes to go around especially in the redzone where TEs make a lot of their value. This guy has bust written all over him and he has had a foot injury that bothers me. He needs to make the most of training camp to even have a shot at being a factor for the Buccs or for fantasy owners.

For this season? Jump to conclusions much?

I kind of agree to an extent. I'm not sure he'll be a bust, but I'm not sure how many targets he really sees before his rookie contract runs out. I think the talent is there but I see this very similar to Julius Thomas where there's just not going to be enough opportunity for him to really be a factor until his 3rd year. VJax contract is up after the 2016 season, he'll also be almost 35 at that point so it's possible he retires. But with VJax and Evans around unless they get the next Andrew Luck in town I doubt he sees much more than 50-70 targets a season until then.

Then again, I can see a small scenario where Evans becomes the literal next Brandon Marshall/VJax type of guy and the combination of Evans/VJax opens up the middle of the field for ASJ to just dance his way into the end zone consistently. But I think then we're relying on three players (Evans, ASJ and QB) to really succeed instead of just one (ASJ) which means the odds are a lot lower.

Qualify "bust" for me.

1 person likes this

I don't expect any TE from this year or really any year to do much if anything in year 1. Good ones in good situations might be good in year 2, and most take to year 3 anyway. So he is a fine choice to me.

He should be a legitimate red zone target at worst.

I've yet to see the slimmed down version play but the guy I saw last year looks like another Gresham, Pettigrew, Marcedes Lewis type.

I've yet to see the slimmed down version play but the guy I saw last year looks like another Gresham, Pettigrew, Marcedes Lewis type.

Here are some cut ups of a couple of his 2012 games- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyhk5A3iRA

I think he looks a bit smoother at the lighter weight than what you see in 2013. But not as good as a blocker.

He also had a stress fracture in his foot last season that bothered him all year.

He acknowledged to the Seattle Times on Monday, however, that he was "glad they found it," and that now he'd "finally found out why my foot was hurting all year." http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24460925/nfl-draft-seferian-jenkins-opts-for-surgery-now

I consider Gresham to be a bit better as a receiver than Pettigrew or Lewis. I think ASJ could be similar to Gresham, which in my opinion has been pretty good. He had 64rec 737 yards 5TD in 2012 and over 50 receptions in every season except for 2013 when he only had 46. If ASJ has a career start similar to what Gresham has done I would be pretty happy with that. Considering what Tim Wright did last season, I think there may be some good opportunity for him to possibly do that, depending on what happens with Wright and the rest of the offense, which has a lot of new faces right now.

I've wavered on him a little bit. Think he's a pretty talented guy and likely to become a solid starter.

Lack of explosive plays and widely rumored crappy personality are issues for me.

Buccaneers TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins (foot) is "confident" he be ready for training camp.

"I feel really good. My foot feels really good," Seferian-Jenkins said "I've been running route, doing all the exercise and workout drills that they've asked me to do. I feel very comfortable." ASJ missed all of Bucs OTAs and minicamp because of Washington's late graduation, so he will likely be behind Brandon Myers and Tim Wright when camp begins. He should push for snaps early, though, and could develop into a red-zone threat as early as this season. Seferian-Jenkins is a TE2 flier in redraft formats.
Jul 10 - 12:47 PM

will be marcedes lewis-esque for FF.

I would call Marcedes the best case. Seferian-Jenkins will help the Bucs a lot more than us. He's the guy we'll drop when our kicker has a bye. I'd much rather select Richard Rodgers, who at least has decent upside as a receiver in Green Bay's offense.

I would call Marcedes the best case. Seferian-Jenkins will help the Bucs a lot more than us. He's the guy we'll drop when our kicker has a bye. I'd much rather select Richard Rodgers, who at least has decent upside as a receiver in Green Bay's offense.

He's got more potential than that but I don't like where he going off the board in rookie drafts (12-14).

Rotoworld:

Pewter Report's Scott Reynolds "would be very surprised" if TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins (foot) isn't ready for the first week of training camp.

Seferian-Jenkins missed OTAs and minicamp due to Washington's late graduation. The time off should have allowed him to fully recover from the foot injury that forced him to sit out the Combine. ASJ doesn't project for many targets in the Bucs' run-based offense, but could be an immediate red-zone contributor. He'll enter camp behind Brandon Myers and Tim Wright. Seferian-Jenkins will push for early-season snaps even if he isn't the Week 1 starter.

Source: Pewter Report

Jul 19 - 6:43 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Lovie Smith said second-round TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins is "behind a lot."

Seferian-Jenkins's surgically-repaired foot is fine, but he's trying to learn the playbook and get into football shape at the same time. His curve has been slowed by the University of Washington's late graduation. Look for ASJ to be a role player in Week 1 before gradually passing Brandon Myers and Tim Wright.

Source: Tampa Tribune

Jul 28 - 12:04 PM

I like him. He probably won't produce much until year two. Like his ADP in rookie drafts right now. Have very little interest in him for '14 redraft.

@MoveTheSticks

Bucs are pumped about ASJ's play in camp. He's picked things up quickly and made a lot of plays. I'm anxious to see more tomorrow.

This guy has some elite TE potential. Kind of a small downgrade for him in the red zone because Evans is in TB and vice versa for Evans. Not sure where he's going in rookie drafts i think mid-late second round. Great value there. If i needed a TE I'd take him as early as 1.10 ish maybe.

Rotoworld:

Bucs OC Jeff Tedford says rookie TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins has been a quick study in camp despite missing spring practices due to the University of Washington's late graduation.

Lovie Smith expressed concern about how far behind ASJ was at the start of training camp, but he's come along fast. "I could tell he was studying when he was away," said Tedford. Seferian-Jenkins should position himself to start Week 1 if he plays well this preseason. He's competing with Brandon Myers to be Tampa Bay's in-line tight end, with Tim Wright in the flex/move position.

I'm hearing this guy could start as a rookie. Not sure what to expect from him this year but Tampa thinks they got a difference maker at TE now.

Edited by Milkman

Rotoworld:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Buccaneers

The Bucs have used "12" personnel on 32 percent of their preseason snaps, well above the NFL average of 21 percent.

Last year, the Bucs used two-tight end sets less than 10 percent of the time, according to Football Outsiders. The Lovie Smith regime has come in and made the position a priority, drafting Austin Seferian-Jenkins 38th overall and signing Brandon Myers. At 6'5/262 with unique leaping ability, ASJ has a real shot to emerge as the No. 3 target for Josh McCown -- especially in the red zone.

Related: Tim Wright, Luke Stocker, Brandon Myers

Source: Tampa Bay Times

Aug 21 - 8:26 AM

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs-offense-showing-more-of-two-te-package/2193767

Thoughts on ASJ now? Seems moving Wright to NE is a vote of confidence that he is going to take over sooner rather than later. No other TE on the roster can threaten in the passing game like he can. I even heard Adam Caplan talking about him on a radio show Monday saying that he was the most impressive player he saw on his camp tour of the Bucs and said that he very much reminded him of Graham when he saw him before others knew about him. I think there are a lot of people sleeping on him and focused on guys like Ebron and Amaro but this kid has the skills and opportunity and is a great keeper imo. What do you expect from him for this season? 400/5-6 reasonable?

I have heard nothing but good things coming out of camp but then I put the tape in and he looks plodding. I drafted him very early in my rookie draft this year but tbh I'm a little concerned. If he is going to be a difference maker offensively he needs to be more explosive than what I've seen so far. I'm crossing my fingers. If he hits he could be the next great TE.........

Thoughts on ASJ now? Seems moving Wright to NE is a vote of confidence that he is going to take over sooner rather than later. No other TE on the roster can threaten in the passing game like he can. I even heard Adam Caplan talking about him on a radio show Monday saying that he was the most impressive player he saw on his camp tour of the Bucs and said that he very much reminded him of Graham when he saw him before others knew about him. I think there are a lot of people sleeping on him and focused on guys like Ebron and Amaro but this kid has the skills and opportunity and is a great keeper imo. What do you expect from him for this season? 400/5-6 reasonable?

Yes, but how do you figure to start those numbers...meaning, one day, he will rip off 7-85-1...how do you pick that week. The way I see it, he is Jace Amaro, except Amaro does not have a V-Jax and Evans to contend with...nor a Martin in the running game. In fact, I see what you project as VERY reasonable, but how do you figure to insert the guy when he inevitably gets 20% of his overall numbers in 1-2 weeks?

Yes, but how do you figure to start those numbers...meaning, one day, he will rip off 7-85-1...how do you pick that week. The way I see it, he is Jace Amaro, except Amaro does not have a V-Jax and Evans to contend with...nor a Martin in the running game. In fact, I see what you project as VERY reasonable, but how do you figure to insert the guy when he inevitably gets 20% of his overall numbers in 1-2 weeks?

True. I guess I see that as his floor for this year and more importantly, a great keeper that will really emerge as a force in 2015. Plus, I actually see VJax and Evans on the outsides as an advantage not a disadvantage and would rather have that than what Amaro is running out there. Ebron probably better. The point is, teams can't focus on the middle between the hashes with that kind of talent outside so it's 1 on 1 with an LB for ASJ and he will win that matchup a lot, particularly in the RZ. His yardage may be pretty low his first year but I wouldn't be shocked if he put up 8+ TDs. 12 VJax/10 Evans/8 ASJ is only 30 total. I think McCown/Glennon can easily put up a combined 30 for Tampa this year so not really reaching imo.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins making 'eye-popping plays with regularity'

Buccaneers rookie tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins only has four preseason catches, but in camp he "has made eye-popping plays with regularity," reports CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora. The 6-5, 262-pounder, however, remains behind Brandon Myers on the depth chart.

This guy is gonna be a stud. He is a gamechanger!

1 person likes this

Does anyone know the play on which ASJ got hurt? Wondering about whether he is worth holding in redraft. An ankle injury for a big guy like that could be a problem, and if he is missing practice as a rookie TE, that will not be good.

What say you SP?

ASJ has big opportunity (played almost every down week 4) especially with Evans out a few games. He looked good and was targeted often, making some pretty flashy displays including a long catch to put TB in striking distance for the game winner. Obviously a huge red zone target, one would expect a few tds, perhaps as early as this week away vs NO. Should be a garbage time feast. I think he'll be very startable soon given the chaotic TE landscape.

What say you SP?

ASJ has big opportunity (played almost every down week 4) especially with Evans out a few games. He looked good and was targeted often, making some pretty flashy displays including a long catch to put TB in striking distance for the game winner. Obviously a huge red zone target, one would expect a few tds, perhaps as early as this week away vs NO. Should be a garbage time feast. I think he'll be very startable soon given the chaotic TE landscape.

With Evans sidelined he could see more targets. Glennon loved going to Tim Wright last season.

ETA: Glennon definitely has some timing with ASJ also. They hooked up on a nice out route where Glennon rifled a pass toward the sideline before ASJ had even made his break. I think it was on a 2nd and 20? Gain of 19. Huge play in the game and a great throw/catch.

Edited by Grahamburn

any insight re: his injury? cbs says "ankle - limited participation"

Precautionary as he just returned to action from the ankle this past week. He did not seem to aggravate it during the game. Streamer TE gold

I may be Crazy to roll this guy over Ertz. But I see garbage time point and targets in favor of ASJ.

Edited by RichInOrlando

I own him so he's a lock to do nothing ever. You're welcome.

1 person likes this

Starting today with confidence.

he might not even play. no practice wed, thurs, limited fri.

he might not even play. no practice wed, thurs, limited fri.

That would definitely change my view.

rotoworld

Austin Seferian-Jenkins (foot) is expected to play a significant role in Sunday's game against the Saints.

Coach Lovie Smith reiterated that Seferian-Jenkins suffered no setbacks as he played 71-of-71 snaps in Week 4. He barely practiced all week, but that looks like a case of the training staff managing the rookie's injury. ASJ carries risk as he's likely not 100 percent, but he has tons of upside as an athletic freak operating without Mike Evans (groin) in a potential shootout.
1 person likes this