Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
OrangeJulius

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - What do you think?

The situation looks like it's improving for ASJ. He just needs to come into camp healthy and in shape and stay that way all year. The problem is Evans is legit so ASJ's ceiling is going to be limited just based on limited targets.

Re-drafting the 2014 tight end class

Excerpt:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Here's my #HotTake on last year's draft order: I wouldn't change a thing about the top three. I'm comfortable with keeping Seferian-Jenkins in the second slot.

Like Ebron, Seferian-Jenkins -- with just 21 grabs for 221 yards and two scores -- was a letdown after we heard so much about Tampa's "Chicago Bears South" receiving corps. While Bucs wideout Mike Evans soared down the stretch, Seferian-Jenkins finished the year on injured reserve with a back injury.

Still, ASJ's 6-foot-5, 262-pound exterior gives Bucs passers a massive target. His work against the Ravens in Week 6 might serve as an appropriate preview of what new coordinator Dirk Koetter has planned for 2015. Against Baltimore, Seferian-Jenkins caught a tough 14-yard ball in traffic before, one quarter later, splitting Ravens defenders down the middle to take a Mike Glennon pass for 30 yards. He's strong enough to blast past initial blockers into space and fast enough to win one-on-one battles.

The Bucs employed Seferian-Jenkins on plenty of crossing routes while also trying to set him free downfield. More than once he dominated smaller defenders up the seam.

Final analysis: Can he stay healthy for a full season? If he does, will Tampa put a functional quarterback under center?

ASJ isn't the first option on a roster armed with Evans and Vincent Jackson, but he'll see an increased workload under Koetter, who made the most of Marcedes Lewis in Jacksonville and Tony Gonzalez in Atlanta. Look for Seferian-Jenkins to net sneaky fantasy buzz over the summer.

If Seferian-Jenkins can develop, and if the OLine can not be putrid, and if the Bucs can get competent QB play, they could be an average offense this year. Hey, only 3 ifs.

TEs not named Gronk usually take a good 4+ years to develop into consistent and reliable fantasy starters. ASJ is most definitely a hold for at least 2 more seasons. In dynasty leagues, I'll be keeping him on my taxi squad for all of 2015 at this point.

Rookie TEs almost always need 2 or 3 years to become fantasy relevant.

I remember reading either last year or the year before that there were two schools of thought on evaluating NFL rookie TEs.

1. As you suggested, takes a couple years to hit their tempo in fantasy.

2. If they don't show something in their first couple seasons, they won't.

Seems pretty close between the two, if not leaning the second. I like to think I'm a pretty good evaluator of TE talent, I like ASJ going forward.

I remember reading either last year or the year before that there were two schools of thought on evaluating NFL rookie TEs.

1. As you suggested, takes a couple years to hit their tempo in fantasy.

2. If they don't show something in their first couple seasons, they won't.

Seems pretty close between the two, if not leaning the second. I like to think I'm a pretty good evaluator of TE talent, I like ASJ going forward.

A guy can show something without being fantasy relevant.

I tend to think ASJ showed a few things as a rookie, and will be a TE1 sooner or later, but more likely in another year. I'd look for high end backup/bye week starter numbers this year.

Rotoworld:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Buccaneers

ESPN Bucs reporter Pat Yasinskas expects new OC Dirk Koetter to target the tight ends more this season.

Tampa Bay quarterbacks targeted tight ends on 15% of their throws last season, which is well below league average. Under Koetter, that number should rise closer to the 20% mark, giving Austin Seferian-Jenkins a great chance to better his 38 targets from last season. ASJ is a decent flier in the 14th round.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 20 - 10:35 AM

Rotoworld:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Buccaneers

Buccaneers.com lists Austin Seferian-Jenkins as a candidate for a breakout year.

Seferian-Jenkins is "primed for the type of season the Bucs envisioned when they drafted him," according to reporter Scott Smith. With Jameis Winston at the controls and in a more tight end-friendly offense, ASJ will easily outperform his 21/221/2 rookie-year line if he stays healthy. Nick O’Leary led tight ends in targets (73) and won the Mackey Award as Winston’s primary checkdown last year.

Source: buccaneers.com

Jun 26 - 6:41 PM

Rotoworld:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins suggested the Bucs offense was held back by ex-OC Marcus Arroyo.

"Obviously not having the offensive coordinator here (last year) that signed up for the job was not good," Seferian-Jenkins said. "This is a big offseason for me." The Bucs averaged 292 yards per game under Arroyo, behind only the Raiders and Jacksonville. Reporter Scott Reynolds expects ASJ to "benefit the most" from new OC Dirk Koetter. Seferian-Jenkins was limited by injuries and an ineffective Josh McCown during his rookie season, but could push for TE1 value behind Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson.
Jul 10 - 5:34 PM

Pewter Reporter says TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins was "virtually uncoverable" during offseason OTAs and minicamps.

Seferian-Jenkins' rookie year was stunted by a college foot injury, and subsequent issues with his conditioning, back and ankle. Now the 6'5/262 mountain of a man is fully healthy and is playing in a Dirk Koetter scheme that has previously squeezed a career year out of Marcedes Lewis and heavily utilized Tony Gonzalez. ASJ also gets a quarterback upgrade in the form of Jameis Winston, who targeted TE Nick O'Leary a nation-high 73 times at Florida State last year. Mount Seferian has a reasonable amount of sleeper appeal as a flier available in the 11th- to 14th-round range.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9400/austin-seferian-Jenkins

Buccaneers.com's Joe Kania said sophomore TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins was "impressive" during training camp practices. Seferian-Jenkins struggled to make a mark in preseason games, catching just 2-of-5 targets for 25 yards, but he reportedly dominated down the seams in practice. ASJ should be third in line for targets in Tampa and has real breakout potential.

I'm prepared to hold him through his third year but it sure would be nice to see him do something in an actual game.

Looks like a beast.

He got most of his yardage in garbage time. His second touchdown was more a case of bad tackling than ASJ being "beastly".

With Winston looking like a dumpster fire there may be a lot of garbage time in Tampa Bay games this year.

• Like 1

Not sure if that's true. Doesn't the OC like to target the TE a lot? 6 targets a game with maybe 1/2 a target being in the red zone and he's a TE1. Evans probably kills his red zone chances though......

Not sure if that's true. Doesn't the OC like to target the TE a lot? 6 targets a game with maybe 1/2 a target being in the red zone and he's a TE1. Evans probably kills his red zone chances though......

Koetter had Tony Gonzalez in Atlanta.

Hopefully Bucs' fans see what the plan actually is this Sunday with Evans on the field.

Considering that the Bucs are going to be playing from behind a lot with a bad offensive line that doesn't figure to help establishing the run, I think people might be underestimating how many targets ASJ will get. Jackson got 11 targets last week but only caught 4 balls. ASJ had 7 targets and turned them into 5 catches and a monster game.

Evans will get his, but there will be plenty of other targets to go around, and I'd guess he has Winston's trust after last week. I'm hesitant to start him this week because I don't want to feel like I'm chasing last week's points, but it could be a high scoring game with the Saints and he's as likely to take a big leap as any of the other highly touted young TEs.

Starting him again. A game like that has to give the rookie confidence. Nothing like a security blanket TE for a young QB.

Starting him again. A game like that has to give the rookie confidence. Nothing like a security blanket TE for a young QB.

As an FSU alum who watched every one of Winston's games, he definitely looks for the TE more than most other college QBs and especially when under durress. Remember, he had Nick O'Leary (currently on BUF practi squad) the past 2 years and made him into something more than he ordinarily would have been with another QB, IMO.

Not sure how valuable he'll be if he doesn't see a lot of red zone targets. He's probably not seeing 7 targets a game with Evans there......

It's all about how comfortable Jameis is with Austin and Evans. If he's running for his life, he TE is closer to get it to.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Bucs TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins has been diagnosed with a strained shoulder, and will be sidelined 4-6 weeks.

I'm no M.D., but something doesn't compute with a shoulder "strain" coupled with him being out 4-6 weeks. That's absurd.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Bucs TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins has been diagnosed with a strained shoulder, and will be sidelined 4-6 weeks.

I'm no M.D., but something doesn't compute with a shoulder "strain" coupled with him being out 4-6 weeks. That's absurd.

Apparently he is getting a second opinion.

Apparently he is getting a second opinion.

They signed a TE in a hurry and then threw down a lengthy recovery time. Makes me think no good news will come from second opinion but more the possibility of something worse, like a tear.

I did trade for him last night in a dynasty league and personally I'd be happy if the news comes back he's out 6 weeks and 100% when he returns.

Went to drop him for Gillmore and realized he has the same bye week as Kelce... So much for that.

Bummer. :kicksrock:

ASJ is a borderline bust at this point in has career. For every great play he makes he has a bone headed one. Dropped an easy big yardage pass last week, then committed a penalty on the next play. Plus, he is always hurt. He isn't a great blocker either. Yes, he is athletically gifted, but he hasn't had consistent enough hands to even be mentioned with the elite pass catching te's in the league.

Losing him isn't really that much of a concern for me with a healthy Mike Evans. Brandon Myer will do fine.